HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
  #201
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Knowing the way Morrison and Burke think, I would say Monahan, Shinkaruk and Pulock on all on their radars, obviously every team wants Jones and Mackinnon.

Unless Nichushkin and Barkov(there ya go Finnish lol) do something special, if I am a wagering man it's one of the former if we get a 1-7 pick.

Character will be a key, I don't know much about Monahan and Shinkaruk's character's other than being good workers on the ice, Pulock a little more, Captain already on Brandon as a 18 year old, that in itself tells you the Kings think highly of this kid. Wouldn't surprise me he is high on the Leafs list.
A PPG pace at 17 in the Sm-Liiga isn't special? Because by my definition being the first player to ever do that is pretty special....

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
  #202
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
I'd say MacKinnon is probably the only one with franchise potential, with Barkov and Monahan having the potential to be two-way 1st line centres with 70-80 point potential, maybe breaking a PPG in their prime years.

I can't say on Lindholm yet though, cause I haven't seen him enough. I found this isolation cam against Latvia for a sample. He's #22. Edit: Also, Burakovsky is #24.



Definitely need to watch Lindholm closely at the WJC and try and find potential SEL streams.
Depends what your view of franchise is I guess.

Is Eric Staal a franchise center? That's what I see as Monahan's upside, maybe a little lower. Barkov is similar, except I think has higher potential that Monahan.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 11:47 AM
  #203
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,566
vCash: 500
Lindholm is good he's backstrom good, people know much about him. I've seen him play some online games he is just a pass first guy.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 11:52 AM
  #204
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
Depends what your view of franchise is I guess.

Is Eric Staal a franchise center? That's what I see as Monahan's upside, maybe a little lower. Barkov is similar, except I think has higher potential that Monahan.
Just the size, and overall skillset of Barkov reminds me of a young Joe Thornton. He's so good at protecting the puck, plays adept defense, and has all the skills to put pucks in the net, and set up teammates.

Monahan kinda remind me of an Eric Staal, so we're on the same page there.

In terms of character, there isn't a kid in the top 10 that I can think of that has shown anything but positives in this category. All things being equal there, our scouts and management have their work cut out for them. This year's draft pick is absolutely vital to the rebuild. We need to make the right choice.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 11:57 AM
  #205
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Unless Nichushkin and Barkov(there ya go Finnish lol) do something special, if I am a wagering man it's one of the former if we get a 1-7 pick.
Barkov's season hasn't been special?

7even is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 11:58 AM
  #206
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Knowing the way Morrison and Burke think, I would say Monahan, Shinkaruk and Pulock on all on their radars, obviously every team wants Jones and Mackinnon.

Unless Nichushkin and Barkov(there ya go Finnish lol) do something special, if I am a wagering man it's one of the former if we get a 1-7 pick.

Character will be a key, I don't know much about Monahan and Shinkaruk's character's other than being good workers on the ice, Pulock a little more, Captain already on Brandon as a 18 year old, that in itself tells you the Kings think highly of this kid. Wouldn't surprise me he is high on the Leafs list.
I disagree with the first bolded, and agree with the second.

Having the qualities to become an elite centre in the NHL, along with outproducing any Finnish draft prospect to date in the SM-Liiga is pretty special...

I think Pulock is probably higher on leaf management's list than most of ours. This being because of what you so accurately described above; leafs love good old north american character. If I had to guess management's list it would be:

1. Mackinnon
2. Jones
3. Barkov
4. Monahan
5. Lindholm
6. Shinkaruk
7. Pulock
8. Drouin
9. Lazar
10. Ristolainen

JVReemer is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 12:05 PM
  #207
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Barkov's season hasn't been special?
Given that he's all of 17, playing against older competition than almost any other draft elligible player, and scoring at a PPG pace, I'd say he's arguably having THE MOST special season of any of them, thus far.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 12:48 PM
  #208
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Given that he's all of 17, playing against older competition than almost any other draft elligible player, and scoring at a PPG pace, I'd say he's arguably having THE MOST special season of any of them, thus far.
And I would agree completely. I have him and MacKinnon neck and neck.

7even is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 02:17 PM
  #209
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke
 
Bernier the Boats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
So far I've got something along the lines of

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Monahan
4. Lindholm
5. Barkov
6. Drouin
7. Lazar
8. Nichushkin
9. Shinkaruk
10. Ristolainen
11. Nurse
12. Morrissey
13. Burakowsky
14. Pulock
15. Erne

Just sort of threw that together, but that's kind of how I see it shaping up for me thus far.


Last edited by Bernier the Boats: 11-17-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Bernier the Boats is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 02:34 PM
  #210
OptimusForever
#teambernier
 
OptimusForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 50
Can someone who has seen barkov tell me why he isn't talked about more as the number one pick? I have never heard of anything wrong with his game and he's at a ppg all while being only a couple weeks away from being in the 2014 draft.

OptimusForever is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 02:37 PM
  #211
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 610
Pretty much because Mackinnon and Jones are north american. If Barkov's name was Justin Smith and he played in the CHL he would be recieving as much hype as the two previously mentioned.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 02:46 PM
  #212
OptimusForever
#teambernier
 
OptimusForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 50
It's not like he's Russian and said he wants to stay in Europe though. I've never heard a single knock on his game. Whereas there are a couple questions around jones' game and mackinnons playmaking is questionable

OptimusForever is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 02:57 PM
  #213
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 610
I think the fact that we don't see him play as much is more so what lessens the hype, rather than there being an actual issue with picking him because of his nationality.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 03:02 PM
  #214
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke
 
Bernier the Boats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
It's not like he's Russian and said he wants to stay in Europe though. I've never heard a single knock on his game. Whereas there are a couple questions around jones' game and mackinnons playmaking is questionable
It has more to with the fact that when watching Barkov he doesn't exactly have an explosive element to his game. He is not overly dynamic, but that does not mean he isn't extremely effective. Joe Thornton isn't exactly dynamic, but he's extremely effective.

Bernier the Boats is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 03:16 PM
  #215
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
It has more to with the fact that when watching Barkov he doesn't exactly have an explosive element to his game. He is not overly dynamic, but that does not mean he isn't extremely effective. Joe Thornton isn't exactly dynamic, but he's extremely effective.
And he's still 17 playing against men. Not many kids playing against men look dynamic. He may still develop that aspect of he's game.

I have him behind Jones and Mackinnon, though.

WJC's tell a lot, can't wait.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 07:45 PM
  #216
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
So far I've got something along the lines of

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Monahan
4. Lindholm
5. Barkov
6. Drouin
7. Lazar
8. Nichushkin
9. Shinkaruk
10. Ristolainen
11. Nurse
12. Morrissey
13. Burakowsky
14. Pulock
15. Erne

Just sort of threw that together, but that's kind of how I see it shaping up for me thus far.
Nurse ahead of Pulock? My god man, you must be a Greyhound fan!

Interactif is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 09:06 PM
  #217
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
It has more to with the fact that when watching Barkov he doesn't exactly have an explosive element to his game. He is not overly dynamic, but that does not mean he isn't extremely effective. Joe Thornton isn't exactly dynamic, but he's extremely effective.
Yeah this is a good reason why. He's sort of a guy that does everything well but not in a "look at me" way. He's not explosive or flashy but he's very effective. In fact he's incredibly effective. He's often a key reason why his team scores, even when he isn't listed on the scoreboard as being a key reason.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 09:08 PM
  #218
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Nurse ahead of Pulock? My god man, you must be a Greyhound fan!
It seems to be happening quite a lot recently in some lists. I'd imagine it's because of his raw potential. With his height it could very well be another Dougie Hamilton type player.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
11-17-2012, 09:21 PM
  #219
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
It seems to be happening quite a lot recently in some lists. I'd imagine it's because of his raw potential. With his height it could very well be another Dougie Hamilton type player.
I can't see it IMO. He's extremely raw but the potential is still definitely there. He's not doing bad for sure. However I have to agree with Interactif with this one, Pulock IMO has the better offensive skillset.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 09:24 AM
  #220
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
It seems to be happening quite a lot recently in some lists. I'd imagine it's because of his raw potential. With his height it could very well be another Dougie Hamilton type player.
Nurse is a peppy, aggressive D man with decent skills. He has a bit of Subban in him. One thing that may get him into trouble is his overzealous celebrations. Think he needs to tone that down a little. Very raw talent. Not bad but don't see him close to Pulock at the moment, again we say this with the disclaimer of just under 2/3rds of a season to go.

Interactif is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 10:27 AM
  #221
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,107
vCash: 500
Celebrations won't hurt a kid's stock.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 10:41 AM
  #222
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Nurse ahead of Pulock? My god man, you must be a Greyhound fan!
Not that I agree, but both THN and ISS have the same thing.

I asked Ryan Kennedy from THN why he had Nurse ahead of Pulock and he told me "When it comes down to it, GMs love size, skating and snarl," all of which Pulock also has + a better shot in my opinion.

But there you go. It seems to be becoming a trend.

maplehawk is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 01:38 PM
  #223
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Nurse is a peppy, aggressive D man with decent skills. He has a bit of Subban in him. One thing that may get him into trouble is his overzealous celebrations. Think he needs to tone that down a little. Very raw talent. Not bad but don't see him close to Pulock at the moment, again we say this with the disclaimer of just under 2/3rds of a season to go.
Well offensively neither do I . I'm not really sure I'd have Nurse over Pulock right now but its starting to become a trend that makes you ask why.

Although I gotta ask, why would his overzealous celebrations get him in trouble? Is this one of your "bad attitude" arguments?

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 03:25 PM
  #224
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy
 
TheNorthFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,158
vCash: 500
My God how much do I wish we had 2 or 3 first round picks this year.

TheNorthFace is offline  
Old
11-18-2012, 04:07 PM
  #225
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke
 
Bernier the Boats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Nurse ahead of Pulock? My god man, you must be a Greyhound fan!
Personally, I haven't seen anything special out of Pulock besides his plus shot. In watching him skate at the SSS he looked clearly behind the rest of the WHL dman. He's played the same amount of seasons as all of them as well, so he shouldn't be far behind developmentally. At this point I think Nurse offers more upside than Pulock to me (strikes me as a Rienhart-esque prospect). I think Pulock needs to add a different dimension to his game (ie. If he isn't using his shot he isn't impacting the game).

Bernier the Boats is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.