HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Prospect Stats and Discussion: 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 01:50 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
A goal and an assist from LaLeggia in a 6-5 win over Colorado College.
Nice! I'm loving that pick so much

Old
11-17-2012, 02:05 AM
ejams

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Nice! I'm loving that pick so much
We have RNH to thank for this pick! Hopefully he turns out to be a good NHLer!

Old
11-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Usual_Suspect

Stockton highlights

Old
11-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Pitlick and Hamilton had all of last season, a lengthy post season run and the first chunk of this season to show what they've got. It is absolutely zero. Time to give ice time to offensive players that actually produce.
Hamilton was hurt for that postseason run. However if one of them had to be sent to the E it should be him instead of Pitlick. As it stands Pitlick is on the 3rd line and in Hamilton's case he hasn't been above the 3rd line all season long. Rajala has no shot at being a player for the Oilers going forward and neither does Cornet, I doubt that their additions to the Barons would be enough to offset the loss of developmental time for Pitlick in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
This. Rajala and Cornet have earned to be given a chance in the AHL. Bring one or both of them up and send some of Lander/Pitlick/Hamilton to the ECHL. A dozen games into the season, the three 2nd rounders from 2009 and 2010 have the pathetic 3 points between them. Add in Paajarvi, who is not exactly lighting it up and I guess the Oilers may not be as good at drafting and development as fans like to believe.
Lander or Pitlick to the ECHL is a non starter, while they haven't been adding offense they have been providing other things of value, faceoffs and grit in Lander's case and physical play in Pitlick's case. It's obviously a faster league with the lockout going on so I don't see Cornet doing much, Rajala might be able to generate some offense and I wouldn't be opposed to giving him some time with Arcobello and Pitlick and see how that works out.

11-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Fourier

Really good game in Kitchener last night. Rangers played the Erie Otters.

I don't think that McDavid kid is as good as everybody says he is........He's better!

No question he has skill. But it is the rest of his game that surprised me. He was very physical, throwing about 4 big hits including one on Faksa. He was also very good defensively. He even pk'd.

They list him at 5'11" and 170lbs, but I don't believe it. He looks bigger than that to me. They did an interview with him after the first and he looked much thicker than he does in his earlier picture. I think the kid has grown a fair bit. But in any case, he does not look like a 15 year old.

Rieder had an assist and an empty net goal. But aside from the points I thought he played very well again. His line, with Marcantuoni back now, had the job of checking McDavid. I will say this about Rieder. His two way game is really under rated. I would not be surprised at all if his transition to the pros next year is not much smoother than many expect.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hamilton was hurt for that postseason run. However if one of them had to be sent to the E it should be him instead of Pitlick. As it stands Pitlick is on the 3rd line and in Hamilton's case he hasn't been above the 3rd line all season long. Rajala has no shot at being a player for the Oilers going forward and neither does Cornet, I doubt that their additions to the Barons would be enough to offset the loss of developmental time for Pitlick in particular.

Lander or Pitlick to the ECHL is a non starter, while they haven't been adding offense they have been providing other things of value, faceoffs and grit in Lander's case and physical play in Pitlick's case. It's obviously a faster league with the lockout going on so I don't see Cornet doing much, Rajala might be able to generate some offense and I wouldn't be opposed to giving him some time with Arcobello and Pitlick and see how that works out.
Pitlick and Hamilton look like busts right now. Neither look close at all to being NHL players and have shown absolutely zero at the AHL level to suggest they will get there. Both are bad AHL players. Now I haven't done the research on it, and honestly wouldn't even know where to start, but I would love to see how many players become valuable contributing NHL players after such abysmal starts to their pro careers.

I remember we had hopes for Pitlick becoming a Ryan Kesler like player for us. Well he isn't even close to what kind of a player Kesler was at the same age. He is miles away from being any form of a scoring threat at any sort of pro level.

You can say that neither Rajala or Cornet have any chance at being NHLers for this team, well I say at this point they have as much a chance as Pitlick/Hamilton. At least they have both shown that they can score at a pro level. Something the other two haven't even had a sniff at.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:03 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Pitlick and Hamilton look like busts right now. Neither look close at all to being NHL players and have shown absolutely zero at the AHL level to suggest they will get there. Both are bad AHL players. Now I haven't done the research on it, and honestly wouldn't even know where to start, but I would love to see how many players become valuable contributing NHL players after such abysmal starts to their pro careers.

I remember we had hopes for Pitlick becoming a Ryan Kesler like player for us. Well he isn't even close to what kind of a player Kesler was at the same age. He is miles away from being any form of a scoring threat at any sort of pro level.

You can say that neither Rajala or Cornet have any chance at being NHLers for this team, well I say at this point they have as much a chance as Pitlick/Hamilton. At least they have both shown that they can score at a pro level. Something the other two haven't even had a sniff at.
Pitlick has actually played extremely well. Say what you want about the lack of points, his play has signaled he may have a chance.

From watching him play in OKC its apparent the bounces arent going his way but he looks impressive in the pro game, still a shot at being a 3rd line checking forward

Old
11-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Pitlick was one of the team's best players in the last playoffs. He has not had a lot of luck this year but has played well in many games.

I do agree that his offense has been lacking. But otherwise I think he has shown a lot of potential to be an NHL'er.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:51 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

I remember we had hopes for Pitlick becoming a Ryan Kesler like player for us. Well he isn't even close to what kind of a player Kesler was at the same age.
It's ridiculous for you to say that Pitlick is close to a bust. Seems like a post from somebody who looks at stats and hasn't watched many games.
Pitlick was one of the better Barons towards the end of the season last year and in the playoffs, he has also had some excellent games this season. I have rarely seen a player so snakebitten, he has hit several posts and has come close to scoring on numerous occasions, he also brings a physical element to the game which few Oilers forwards and prospects do.

I would also like to see him score more and he certainly has the ability with his speed and shot but he is far from a bust. I'll bet that he is in the NHL within 2 years.
Hamilton, on the other hand, i don't have much faith in.
Also, Rajala and Cornet have virtually no chance to be NHLers so what's the point in sending Pitlick down to bring one of them up, the AHL is a developmental league for future NHLers.

Last edited by CupofOil: 11-17-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
A goal and an assist from LaLeggia in a 6-5 win over Colorado College.
LaLeggia is now 1st in NCCA Div 1 Defenseman scoring and 26th in overall scoring.

Old
11-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Cerebral

Rajala had another goal and 2 assists tonight. That puts him tied for 4th for ECHL scoring with 21 points in only 13 games and the three players ahead of him are significantly older.

I had somewhat written off Rajala but he's definitely making a push to reemerge as a legit prospect in our organization. He's an example of a player who will be really hurt by this lockout as he'd likely have a role locked down in Oklahoma if RNH, Hall, Eberle, and Paajarvi/Hartikainen were up with the Oilers.

Rajala has a past history of beating up on weak competition - I'll be curious to see if he earns a call-up to Oklahoma and how he performs there.

11-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Ragss

I'm itching to see him called up, but I have a suspicion he'll struggle with the physicality.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
It's ridiculous for you to say that Pitlick is close to a bust. Seems like a post from somebody who looks at stats and hasn't watched many games.
Pitlick was one of the better Barons towards the end of the season last year and in the playoffs, he has also had some excellent games this season. I have rarely seen a player so snakebitten, he has hit several posts and has come close to scoring on numerous occasions, he also brings a physical element to the game which few Oilers forwards and prospects do.

I would also like to see him score more and he certainly has the ability with his speed and shot but he is far from a bust. I'll bet that he is in the NHL within 2 years.
Hamilton, on the other hand, i don't have much faith in.
Also, Rajala and Cornet have virtually no chance to be NHLers so what's the point in sending Pitlick down to bring one of them up, the AHL is a developmental league for future NHLers.
I remember the same things were said about Patrick O'Sullivan when he first got to Edmonton. Just couldn't catch a break, was hitting posts left and right but otherwise played well. The excuse wears out rather quickly once you get into a second year of zero production. Watching a player is great. But when he has zero results this far into his pro career it is scary. I assure you I would love to be wrong. But Pitlick is dangerously close to being a bust. The rest of the season goes at this one has and last season has how could you say otherwise?

Its funny. When he was drafted we all hoped he would be a 2nd line center for the team. Now we are talking about third liner. How long until 4th line? How long after that to wondering what ever happened to that guy.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:51 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
I remember the same things were said about Patrick O'Sullivan when he first got to Edmonton. Just couldn't catch a break, was hitting posts left and right but otherwise played well. The excuse wears out rather quickly once you get into a second year of zero production. Watching a player is great. But when he has zero results this far into his pro career it is scary. I assure you I would love to be wrong. But Pitlick is dangerously close to being a bust. The rest of the season goes at this one has and last season has how could you say otherwise?

Its funny. When he was drafted we all hoped he would be a 2nd line center for the team. Now we are talking about third liner. How long until 4th line? How long after that to wondering what ever happened to that guy.
I think the difference with Pitlick is that his attitude and physical make-up allows him to play a bottom 6 role if his offense doesn't come.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:

He just turned 21. To say he's close to being a bust a quarter of the way through his second pro season is ridiculous. I'd be quite happy with him as a 3rd or 4th liner. Clearly the Oilers could use an upgrade at 2C but Pitlick's not a bust just because he's not the answer there.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Usual_Suspect

Connor Jones 1g today for Quinnipiac

Old
11-17-2012, 07:42 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Pitlick Vs O'Sullivan

Hard Hitter, gritty, better skater, all effort.

POS. None of those things.

Really bad comparison

I've watched 6 or 7 Barons games where Pitlick has gotten zero points but his line dominates time of possession, he hits hard forechecks and doesn't allow the other teams a sniff.

While getting lots of good shots.

He looks better than most on the team.

Last edited by Valic: 11-17-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
I'm itching to see him called up, but I have a suspicion he'll struggle with the physicality.
I thought the ECHL has a bit of a reputation for being a bit of a goon league.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Pitlick if all else fails can be a 3rd/4th line NHLer that adds physical play and grit to your team while not being a slug on the ice. What do Rajala and Cornet bring unless they miraculously become 2nd line NHLers? Hamilton may very well bust, TBH I am very concerned with him at this point. However they both have 2 more years beyond this one before they become waiver eligible. I am not ready to write off either of these guys or Martindale since they have basically 2 3/4 years to get bigger/stronger/better before we potentially lose them on waivers and all 3 potentially add size and grit. Hamilton is a guy that IMO might be best served to get top line, PP and PK minutes in Stockton for 20-30 games or at least until the lockout ends. Pitlick on the other hand needs to play in the AHL and hone his game there.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Usual_Suspect

Khaira assists on an OT winner for the 2nd night in a row

Dillon Simpson 1a
Musil 1g

Last edited by Usual_Suspect: 11-17-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Usual_Suspect

LaLeggia picked up another assist tonight as well

Old
11-17-2012, 10:50 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Pitlick Vs O'Sullivan

Hard Hitter, gritty, better skater, all effort.

POS. None of those things.

Really bad comparison

I've watched 6 or 7 Barons games where Pitlick has gotten zero points but his line dominates time of possession, he hits hard forechecks and doesn't allow the other teams a sniff.

While getting lots of good shots.

He looks better than most on the team.
These comments could be said of Pitlick LAST YEAR too - save for a few games in the Barons playoffs (didn't watch many). As I mentioned a year ago, he can look like Hemmer out there with his speed and skill with the puck. Unfortunately, it's all for naught because he has zero finishing ability and zero idea what to do with the puck near the net. He'll be an NHL player, but most likely a 3rd crash and banger grinder like Ryan Jones. IMO he should have been left in the WHL to build up his offensive game. I also think Lander was rushed too. He'll never get the offensive opportunities he would on a different team.

While I've had a full-on hate for Plante and Hamilton, I liked Hamilton's game and goal tonight. A dozne games like that and I might change my tune about him.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:37 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Pitlick if all else fails can be a 3rd/4th line NHLer that adds physical play and grit to your team while not being a slug on the ice. What do Rajala and Cornet bring unless they miraculously become 2nd line NHLers? Hamilton may very well bust, TBH I am very concerned with him at this point. However they both have 2 more years beyond this one before they become waiver eligible. I am not ready to write off either of these guys or Martindale since they have basically 2 3/4 years to get bigger/stronger/better before we potentially lose them on waivers and all 3 potentially add size and grit. Hamilton is a guy that IMO might be best served to get top line, PP and PK minutes in Stockton for 20-30 games or at least until the lockout ends. Pitlick on the other hand needs to play in the AHL and hone his game there.
If things keep going now why would we ever need to worry about waivers? I hate being the super negative one here, and I have tried not to usually. But I can't help but feeling that we are wasting our time with these guys.

It shouldn't take this long for prospects that are supposed to be promising to make an impact at the AHL level. It just shouldn't. Our forward prospects as a whole just bring absolutely zero to the table. Thank god for the brilliant Eberle pick and three first overalls picks because there is zero in the cupboard in terms of offensive potential. Hopefully Hartikainen or Paajarvi can be a saving grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
He just turned 21. To say he's close to being a bust a quarter of the way through his second pro season is ridiculous. I'd be quite happy with him as a 3rd or 4th liner. Clearly the Oilers could use an upgrade at 2C but Pitlick's not a bust just because he's not the answer there.
Three years after a draft for a supposed offensive player is more than enough time for him to start showing some offense at the AHL level. We aren't talking about a rookie struggling in the NHL here, this is his second pro season in the AHL and he is in a position to consistently get the easy match ups when the big 3 are down there taking on other teams best.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Pitlick if all else fails can be a 3rd/4th line NHLer that adds physical play and grit to your team while not being a slug on the ice.
I think it has already failed. The guy doesn't seem to have close to enough offence to ever get near an NHL second line.

I think it's time to start saying if all goes well, Pitlick has a chance to be a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:50 AM
scid14

vCash: 50
I'm sure this has been pointed out before but it seems Laleggia and Schultz have had very similar developmental paths and if Laleggia is anywhere near Schultz in IQ I think he may just become a huge steal for us.

I don't know anything about the teams they played on or how good they were and this is just strictly looking at points in the same league for me:

Justin Schultz
Height: 6'2 Weight: 185

2006-07 Westside Warriors BCHL 2 1 0 1
2007-08 Westside Warriors BCHL 57 9 31 40
2008-09 Westside Warriors BCHL 49 15 35 50
2009-10 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 43 6 16 22
2010-11 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 41 18 29 47
2011-12 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 37 16 28 44

Joey Laleggia
Height: 5'10 Weight: 180

2008-09 Penticton Vees BCHL 2 0 0 0
2009-10 Penticton Vees BCHL 54 13 52 65
2010-11 Penticton Vees BCHL 58 20 62 82
2011-12 U. of Denver WCHA 43 11 27 38
2012-13 U. of Denver WCHA 10 5 7 12

Now, obviously Schultz has the size advantage but he isn't an overly physical player. I've never watched Laleggia play however his point totals are very high. I really hope that is an indication that thinks the game similar to Schultz. He can overcome his size, I don't even think that's a big deal in his situation. This post is just me trying to get some opinions on the players, not pumping anyone up as I've never seen Laleggia play.

Are there any opinions from anyone who has seen them both play? I bought AHL Live so I have seen Schultz play most of this year and am very, very impressed with how he sees the game. I really do like the prospects of Laleggia as well. Also, did Nuge have anything at all to do with the pick? or is it just a coincidence?

Both players are from BC as well so...theres that.

Closed Thread