HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Has Ed Snider had enough?

Old
11-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...HL_talks_.html

Quote:
Multiple sources confirmed to the Daily News on Friday that Snider, once seen as a supporter of the Bettman's push to rein in the players' share of revenue, has soured on the process after it became apparent that a deal would not be brokered in time for a Dec. 1 puck drop.

Put simply: Snider and the rest of the NHL's owners were promised a big win by Bettman, with player concessions on revenue division and contracting rights. The best they'll get now is a small win in revenue split - coupled with a demoralized fan base and all-important corporate sponsors that are ready to quit.

A source familiar with Snider's thinking characterized it as: "If this is the deal we are going to get, what's the point of dragging this out?"

Neither Snider nor team president Peter Luukko has publicly addressed the lockout since it began on Sept. 16, for fear of a $1 million fine from Bettman.

On Friday, multiple sources indicated Snider's "strong discontent" for Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, a big-market owner who has been one of the lockout's ringleaders. Despite their on-ice rivalry, there seems to be some thinking that the Flyers are interested in teaming up with the midmarket but high-revenue Pittsburgh Penguins to sway more governors toward a swift resolution. The Rangers are also viewed as anti-lockout.

A couple notes. I cannot help but think that Phoenix shouldn't have a vote because it appears that Bettman has a vote. Seems odd.

The author also speculates on the composition of the Group of Eight: Boston, Minnesota, Calgary, Washington, Dallas, Philadelphia and Anaheim, in addition to Phoenix. Philadelphia may be drifting towards the middle ground from the tone of the article.

This bit buried in the middle was also worth noting:
Quote:
While some of the smaller-market teams have been interested in a greater percentage of "hockey related revenue" to help get back in the black, there is a growing sentiment that any lingering effects from this lockout could wipe out a franchise in Columbus, Florida, Nashville or Tampa Bay entirely.

Hat Tip to KK: http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...der-had-enough

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

MODERATION NOTE:

1. Discuss the contents of the article.

2. The thread will not devolve into "shooting the messenger" themes.

3. Please refrain from the comments that add nothing to the discussion (e.g., "Bettman is an idiot." "Fehr is an idiot." "Snider is an idiot."-- we're tired of the lack of 'business' discourse.)

Old
11-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
What a surprise. The chairman of NBC Sports Regional Networks wants hockey to be shown on NBC.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
A couple notes. I cannot help but think that Phoenix shouldn't have a vote because it appears that Bettman has a vote. Seems odd.
I really hope that Seravalli just got his facts wrong on this one - allowing Phoenix to have a vote is an enormous conflict of interest, and if it's true that they have a vote, I'm surprised that Fehr & Co. haven't brought it up (though I wonder if he's waiting to play that card until they reach the stage that something has to voted on).

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:54 AM
aceface33

I'd be upset too. However, this lockout is not going to end until the players come off their delinked proposal. I can't see even the owners who really want to play like Snider accepting the PA's current offer.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:00 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I really hope that Seravalli just got his facts wrong on this one - allowing Phoenix to have a vote is an enormous conflict of interest, and if it's true that they have a vote, I'm surprised that Fehr & Co. haven't brought it up (though I wonder if he's waiting to play that card until they reach the stage that something has to voted on).
Don't see at all how the Phoenix franchise having a vote is a conflict of interest? If the Phoenix franchise was a "player", then yes, conflict is in play.

Phoenix is owned by the league, in a lockout enacted by the league.

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:00 PM
TheKingPin

He's got the pull lets hope something happens. Everyone know the owners request for contracts are unreasonable. Come to a half way point and let up.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I guess time will tell if it's true or not... If it's true, it really changes things because he's not irrelevant in the boardroom politics like the Rangers, Habs or Leafs (according to some media reports). After Jacobs, he's probably the most powerfull owner.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Phoenix's vote won't come from the league itself would it? I'm sure they have an interim appointed governor, someone like Don Maloney. But he would still likely be under league directive.

Ed Snider is getting antsy, as has been mentioned, because Comcast owns NBC. They're still paying the league, but sponsors aren't paying them. I'm sure he's hearing that from upstairs. Last time around, the league didn't even want him anywhere near anything, so if he has an in, he's going for it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:08 PM
vatali
Life Long Slacker

This agenda reporting needs to come to an end. When I see things like

A source familiar with Snider's thinking characterized it as ...

or

A source close to ...

This is driving me crazy. Strickland does it here frequently, and I think its just to keep hockey relivent on the radio so that he can continue to get airtime. He could really care less which side wins, so long as people listen to him talk about it. I realize the owners are not going to come out and say anything. I also realize that the information that is leaked to reporters is on purpose. No matter what side is leaking it. But this protection the media is using behind the owners because they know the owners wont come out and talk either way has gotten crazy. At this point the darn reporters could be talking to janitorial crew and the owners are not going to come out against it because of the media solidatity. It's sickening that reports stoop to this.

vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I'd be upset too. However, this lockout is not going to end until the players come off their delinked proposal. I can't see even the owners who really want to play like Snider accepting the PA's current offer.

I think you may be overlooking the reported sentiment. If the current direction is the best that's going to come out of this, the lockout may not be worth it to some teams. It's also rough on some of those smaller market teams. They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. It looks like they may get some more revenue sharing, but at least according to the author, the loss of momentum and sponsors in their mostly casual or nascent fan base is a bigger concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatali View Post

or

A source close to ...

<snip>

Multiple sources.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatali View Post

or

A source close to ...

This is driving me crazy. Strickland does it here frequently, and I think its just to keep hockey relivent on the radio so that he can continue to get airtime. He could really care less which side wins, so long as people listen to him talk about it. I realize the owners are not going to come out and say anything. I also realize that the information that is leaked to reporters is on purpose. No matter what side is leaking it. But this protection the media is using behind the owners because they know the owners wont come out and talk either way has gotten crazy. At this point the darn reporters could be talking to janitorial crew and the owners are not going to come out against it because of the media solidatity. It's sickening that reports stoop to this.
Unfortunately, this is the only way to logically get the info out if it's what's happening. Which owner would go on record to say he's unhappy with the process? A $ Million Fine's alot of money

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
He's not doing anything different than Darren Dreger has been doing during the lockout. His Twitter handle may as well be @BettmansMouthpiece

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:20 PM
DocBrown

Nope.

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

@Aportzline @DNFlyers. Good example of an owner who wants to play...badly. But, I'm told Snider remains strongly in Bettman's corner.
Anyways, irrelevant as the league only needs 8 teams to keep this thing going and they have Phx vote, so really only 7.

I'd be more worried about the opinions coming out of the Latendress's in the league. Players like Laten are the majority of the NHLPA. Snider represents a wealthy minority.

Last edited by DocBrown: 11-17-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added back in non "generalized flaming" text. :)
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:23 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

I've sent letters to all 30 NHL governors (the last 13 this past Tuesday). Only had responses from 2 teams from the first 17.

Hearing from individual fans who take the time to write I hope is the trick to getting all 30 to work together to do something.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:27 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I've sent letters to all 30 NHL governors (the last 13 this past Tuesday). Only had responses from 2 teams from the first 17.

Hearing from individual fans who take the time to write I hope is the trick to getting all 30 to work together to do something.
Lady, who were the 2 that responded? Not expecting you to repeat what they said, but I think it would be enlightening to hear which organizations took the time to respond to one of their stakeholders - I.e. fans!

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:27 PM
DocBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Have you sent letters to 700 players as well?

Edit: or better yet the 30 player reps?

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Those of you guys who are sending letters to governors, I applaude what you're doing but it won't accomplish anything. They already know how we're pissed with words, only actions in terms of your wallet will make a difference now.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 11-17-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: not seeing what this has to do with the topic
Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:31 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Not quite getting this comment:
Quote:
Put simply: Snider and the rest of the NHL's owners were promised a big win by Bettman, with player concessions on revenue division and contracting rights. The best they'll get now is a small win in revenue split - coupled with a demoralized fan base and all-important corporate sponsors that are ready to quit.
I still believe the NHL will end up with something at the end of the day close to their [apparent] original goal of a 50/50 split.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:36 PM
moosehead81

Maybe we're seeing some sanity set in here! Ed Snider is a smart man and he and other owners must have seen the potential for a lot of damage to the league's credibility and future prospects with this fiasco. I mean most of us (despite who's "side" we take) have talked, over the past months, about loss of fan and sponsor support, decreased revenues and potential contraction, all with a real potential to happen, cause the 2 sides couldn't "reasonably" come together on a deal. Hopefully there are enough owners and players who realize the potential for a catastrophic ending to all this and speak out. Get the friggin' lawyers out of the room, replace them with a couple of owners (obviously not Jacobs if the reports we hear are true) and players, have some-one of stature chair the session and you'll have an agreement in no time.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:38 PM
txpd

snider, who damaged the owners position with wild spending and attempted spending that drove the price of labor up, now has no patience for the process? shock.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
snider, who damaged the owners position with wild spending and attempted spending that drove the price of labor up, now has no patience for the process? shock.

There's still Leipold to carry that cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post

I still believe the NHL will end up with something at the end of the day close to their [apparent] original goal of a 50/50 split.

I guess we don't know exactly what was promised, but it may also be a function of not losing more than X games (including the Winter Classic which would matter very much to NBC).

Old
11-17-2012, 12:49 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

IMO he and his GM are a large part of the reason that the owners don't have very much leverage in this negotiation. Zip it

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post

I agree but would it be the "big win" Bettman promised?

That is an interesting statement (Bettman promising a big win) and one that could be a deciding factor in determining his future with the league.

And no, I don't think it's a firing offense but I am wondering if he's going to retire if this thing keeps going south. Like him or hate him he's been through a lot and I wouldn't blame him for saying he's done what he can.

Quick Edit: I see that the general CBA thread has been moved so I do want to thank the mods here for keeping that thread alive, somewhat sane and relatively under control. I know I didn't see eye to eye with some of you but I am thankful for the amount of work you invested into it. Man, how any of you kept your sanity I have no idea.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Scurr

I'll be pissed if Aquillini isn't pulling for a resolution too. The players are going to give back, significantly, the owners need to take some responsibility for making money as well.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote