HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Who deserves the #1 pick?

View Poll Results: Who deserves the pick?
New Jersey Devils 5 0.65%
New York Islanders 23 2.98%
New York Rangers 3 0.39%
Philadelphia Flyers 9 1.16%
Pittsburgh Penguins 13 1.68%
Boston Bruins 10 1.29%
Buffalo Sabres 9 1.16%
Montreal Canadiens 37 4.79%
Ottawa Senators 10 1.29%
Toronto Maple Leafs 115 14.88%
Carolina Hurricanes 2 0.26%
Florida Panthers 4 0.52%
Tampa Bay Lightning 2 0.26%
Washington Capitals 7 0.91%
Winnipeg Jets 24 3.10%
Chicago Blackhawks 5 0.65%
Columbus Blue Jackets 262 33.89%
Detroit Red Wings 25 3.23%
Nashville Predators 10 1.29%
St. Louis Blues 8 1.03%
Calgary Flames 34 4.40%
Colorado Avalanche 12 1.55%
Edmonton Oilers 74 9.57%
Minnesota Wild 21 2.72%
Vancouver Canucks 17 2.20%
Anaheim Ducks 7 0.91%
Dallas Stars 7 0.91%
Los Angeles Kings 4 0.52%
Phoenix Coyotes 7 0.91%
San Jose Sharks 7 0.91%
Voters: 773. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-17-2012, 12:26 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Your wrong, Toronto would be the only team in the league who hasnt made the playoffs nor drafted 1st overall so they would be among those with the highest probability.
Depends how many years they do the ball counting for. In 2005 it was you start off with 3 balls and if you make the playoffs in any of the last 3 years or pick first in the last 4 years you lose 1 ball for each time that happens, and you can lose up to 2 balls.

Edmonton for instance would lose 2 balls for picking first at least 2 times(they can't lose all 3 balls for picking first 3 times), while a team like Detroit would lose 2 balls for making the playoffs twice(they can't lose all 3 balls for making the playoffs every year).

I believe their would be a few teams with 3 balls like Toronto and Columbus(Calgary, Dallas, Minnesota, Winnipeg and Carolina all haven't made the playoff in the past 3 years as well). The Islanders on the other hand would have 2 balls due to drafting Tavares(although they missed the playoffs the past 3 years as well).

Last edited by boredmale: 11-17-2012 at 12:41 PM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Vancouver.

What, this the only hope we ever have of getting a top five pick any time soon and Mackinnon can learn diving a lot from Kesler.

Fun aside, I would say Toronto and Columbus rank near the top. While I would prefer Montreal of the lower tier teams being they are my B team. Outside of last year's possible anomaly, they have consistently challenged for a playoff spot. Toronto needs to get back into being a true hockey city where winning is a regular occurrence. Frankly, the fans have suffered enough. Columbus for similar reasons.

Edit: I'll be completely biased and say Edmonton ought to be barred. Four is enough, dammit.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:39 PM
HockeyFan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Yeah your right the team with the most Stanley Cups in history deserves the number one pick. Really?

How about we start off with the teams that have never won the cup before. If the Sabres had ONE Cup EVER I would be wearing my Stanley cup t shirts everyday for the rest of my life.
So, because a team has won more Stanley Cup than the others, Stanley cups that were won for the majority in the first 70 years of it's history (from 1909 to 1979) when there were way less teams than now, it has less a right to pick first overall in a draft than teams that haven't won a cup yet! Is it what you said? Let alone that Montreal has been overall mediocre to average at best since I started following them in 1994, so I didn't even saw them winning the cup once. Sorry, but what kind of stupid argument is that?

Does that also mean that teams like Toronto, NY Islanders and Dallas to name a few have less the right to pick first overall than Columbus or say Buffalo because those teams already won the cup?

Last edited by HockeyFan87: 11-17-2012 at 12:44 PM.
HockeyFan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan87 View Post
So, because a team has won more Stanley Cup than the others, Stanley cups that were won for the majority in the first 70 years of it's history (from 1909 to 1979) when there were way less teams than now, it has less a right to pick first overall in a draft than teams that haven't won a cup yet! Is it what you said? Let alone that Montreal has been overall mediocre to average at best since I started following them in 1994, so I didn't even saw them winning the cup once. Sorry, but what kind of stupid argument is that?

Does that also mean that teams like Toronto, NY Islanders and Dallas to name a few have less the right to pick first overall than Columbus or say Buffalo because those teams already won the cup?
Of course I am saying that. Is that not clear logic? I do not think it gets any clearer then a team not winning a cup ever deserving a top notch player to lead them to a possible Stanley. I doubt anyone can even argue with my logic really. It is pretty plain, simple, and clear.

Tank For Reinhart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:14 PM
b in vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Assuming they use the same rules as last time, the Islanders would have 1 less ball then Columbus and Toronto(due to picking 1st overall in 2009)

In terms of teams that I would like see win it

1. Columbus - for getting screwed out of it in 2012, could also use a big name for attendance purposes

2. Calgary - team deserves to be rewarded somehow for putting an effort into trying to win when it's obvious they are a team going downwards(it would be much easier just to have a fire sale and suck for a few years)

3. Phoenix - could help stabilize the team

4. Nashville - they deserve something for losing Suter

5. Dallas - another team that probably could use an injection to help them out

* If Anaheim loses Getzalf and/or Perry they instantly jump into this category, if they lose both I place them #1

As for Teams I don't want to see pick first(or even top 10 for that matter)

1. Edmonton - they already had 3 number 1 picks in a row, 4 would be ridiculous

2. Pittsburgh - they don't deserve any more good fortune after getting Crosby (as well as Malkin the previous year)

3. The "Big UFA Spenders" like Philadelphia, New York Rangers, Boston etc - they basically win the lottery many summers when it comes to signing players. I give Philly extra marks for the whole Weber BS they tried to pull off this summer.

4. Minnesota - Suter and Parise should be more then enough

Teams I don't want to pick top 3 but get a higher then normal pick(ie top 10 picks for constantly being competitive)

1. Detroit
2. St Louis
3. Vancouver
4. New Jersey
5. San Jose

Just not sure why you singled out Boston and Philly as big free agent spenders. Brygalov? before that Who? Chara was 7 years ago. I think there biggest splash since was Ryder 5 years ago. How about Toronto, Minnesota, Florida, Columbus and scores of other teams that have spent a lot more than The Bruins and Flyers in free agency. Just because those teams haven't had the success doesn't mean they're not the big spenders in free agency.
Toronto alone has probably brought in 5 times as many expensive free agents as The Bruins and Flyers combined over the past 5 years.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:18 PM
b in vancouver

And to re-iterate. Not homer picks at all but would like to see some of the mid-market teams that have tried to stay competitive over the past few years win the lottery.
Calgary
St. Louis
Buffalo
Nashville

or Montreal, Boston, Philly, Detroit, Vancouver, San Jose etc... Teams that have built successful teams that aren't built on top 3 picks.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:26 PM
ZDatsZuke
optimistic

1. Detroit
2. New York
3. San Jose
4. Ottawa
5. Vancouver

ZDatsZuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:28 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Depends how many years they do the ball counting for. In 2005 it was you start off with 3 balls and if you make the playoffs in any of the last 3 years or pick first in the last 4 years you lose 1 ball for each time that happens, and you can lose up to 2 balls.

Edmonton for instance would lose 2 balls for picking first at least 2 times(they can't lose all 3 balls for picking first 3 times), while a team like Detroit would lose 2 balls for making the playoffs twice(they can't lose all 3 balls for making the playoffs every year).

I believe their would be a few teams with 3 balls like Toronto and Columbus(Calgary, Dallas, Minnesota, Winnipeg and Carolina all haven't made the playoff in the past 3 years as well). The Islanders on the other hand would have 2 balls due to drafting Tavares(although they missed the playoffs the past 3 years as well).
Oh sorry i read your OP wrong, ignore everything i said

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:42 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Just not sure why you singled out Boston and Philly as big free agent spenders. Brygalov? before that Who? Chara was 7 years ago. I think there biggest splash since was Ryder 5 years ago. How about Toronto, Minnesota, Florida, Columbus and scores of other teams that have spent a lot more than The Bruins and Flyers in free agency. Just because those teams haven't had the success doesn't mean they're not the big spenders in free agency.
Philly is the worst offender of UFA signings. I know technically they didn't sign Hartnell, Timonen and Brygalov as UFAs, it was a trade and sign where they basically gave up pennies on the dollar for what they were worth since they were set to become UFAs. Add to that Brierre. As I said bullying around teams like Nashville with the Weber signing doesn't help.

That's a fairly solid group of players

As for Boston while maybe not in the category of Philly or the Rangers, Chara is the best UFA signing in the past 7 years, that in itself is luck enough. You could also add Savard to the list of signings that helped the team(although not anymore). All that being said yeah Boston probably doesn't deserve to be on the list with Philly and Rangers(as well as Minnesota) for getting top talent recently on the UFA market. I still would not rate them in the 5 competitive teams though I listed mainly due to lucking out with Seguin.

Last edited by boredmale: 11-17-2012 at 03:48 PM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:43 PM
insaini

Teams in order that I think deserve it:
1. Columbus
2. Calgary
3. Toronto
4.Nashville
T5. Phoenix/Buffalo

insaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Ashasx

Deserve is an odd word choice. I guess by definition, the team that needs it the most is Columbus.

And just like in 2005, some teams that need a high pick will end up picking after 20, and some teams that will be competitive for years regardless of where they pick will end up picking top 10.

An unfortunate system for the needy teams, but that's how things go. I expect a handful of teams to draw the short straw.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Bluesnatic27

Blues, because we could use a re-do on our last first pick

But in all seriousness, Colombus

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:25 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Quote:
Philly is the worst offender of UFA signings. I know technically they didn't sign Hartnell, Timonen and Brygalov as UFAs, it was a trade and sign where they basically gave up pennies on the dollar for what they were worth since they were set to become UFAs. Add to that Brierre. As I said bullying around teams like Nashville with the Weber signing doesn't help.

That's a fairly solid group of players

As for Boston while maybe not in the category of Philly or the Rangers, Chara is the best UFA signing in the past 7 years, that in itself is luck enough. You could also add Savard to the list of signings that helped the team(although not anymore). All that being said yeah Boston probably doesn't deserve to be on the list with Philly and Rangers(as well as Minnesota) for getting top talent recently on the UFA market. I still would not rate them in the 5 competitive teams though I listed mainly due to lucking out with Seguin.
Yup, no free agent signing has made more of an impact post lockout than Chara... Who is the 2nd best FA signing?

As for this thread, since I wont vouch for my home team, I have to say I am rooting for Columbus to get the pick.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:28 PM
HavlatMach9

Ottawa deserved the #1 pick going into last season (predicted to finish last), so since we missed out on it, I think we have a good case.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:29 PM
nowhereman

No one "deserves" it but, even as a Vancouver fan, I'd sure like to see Toronto get the first overall. They've been through so much crap and have stuck with their team, through thick and thin (mostly thin).

Now, excuse me, while I go take a shower...

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:32 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Leafs, obviously.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:38 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 1840
Stop rewarding teams for being mismanaged, and maybe GM's and owners will be encouraged to stop playing it safe.

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:51 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Toronto fans homerism is strong in this thread.

Smallest violin, fellas.

Columbus deserved the #1 overall last year, and they deserve it even more this year after being screwed over by the lottery.
Moving down 1 spot is hardly being "Screwed".

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Edmonton. Any other team picking 1st would just be weird...

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:30 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Moving down 1 spot is hardly being "Screwed".
When that spot is from a unanimous #1 to a #2 with significant disagreement, that is being "screwed".

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Without a doubt its Columbus. I want them to succeed really badly for some reason, so maybe Im biased. But they were the worst team overall the last year hockey was played, so their entitled to the best chance in the lottery at the very least.

No team in the league needs a Nathan Mckinnon more than them. The Islanders have Johnny T, and Edmonton has had enough ******* fist overall picks, and those are the only franchises that compare in horribleness right now, so its Columbus' turn me thinks.

Its great to see what they've done in Nashville, and I think Columbus is a market that can work if they can finally build a solid foundation over there. SO many years of failure at the draft. Really feel for the fan base.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:05 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Homer vote aside, Columbus or Winnipeg are my picks. Dallas could use some help as well.

JJTopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:10 PM
MVW

vCash: 50
Homer vote, but the Flames. We've missed the playoffs for 3 years and lords knows our prospect pool could use such boost. Also, the BOA will be what it once was with McKinnon and Sven leading the way. It would be good for hockey.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Columbus.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Leaf Fan 99
Rookie User

Columbus....but

Living close to Toronto I woud love to see the Leafs pick #1 but that will never happen because Brian Burke's ego is too big. I wish someone in the new ownership recognized that the 2013 draft is the best since 2003 and that the way the Leafs roster currently is made up is all wrong. First, I would trade Kessel (hopefully they could get the a high 1st and 2nd round pick (perhaps the # 4 pick), then they would be drafting #4 AND #5 (provided there is no season this year). Drouin and Monohan would be 2 great players to build around. Then I would try to trade Lupul, Grabovski, Kulemin and Phaneuf for 1st round picks. That should ensure that they pick in the top 2 the next 2 years and hopefully draft Sam Reinhardt next year and Connor McDavid the year after.

Leaf Fan 99 is offline   Reply With Quote