HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #15 - Lifelong fans...

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Arsenal needed a game like this. They've been struggling of late and a convincing win against a rival is a good cure for that.
And as the announcers (on the ESPN 2 feed at least) said, it should get the heat off Wenger for the time being. Not that they would get rid of him anytime soon, if they ever would altogether, but it will quiet his critics a bit.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:32 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Wenger is only in trouble if they miss CL for next season.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Ya, there's no way Wenger is getting the sack. He is nearly synonymous with Arsenal now.

And Walcott strikes for #5.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:36 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

AVB on the other hand, boy is this guy star-crossed.

And how are West Brom and West Ham 5-6 in the overall standings? I guess it's still early.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
AVB on the other hand, boy is this guy star-crossed.

And how are West Brom and West Ham 5-6 in the overall standings? I guess it's still early.
Yeah, gotta be how early it is. Don't get me wrong, they've obviously played well, but if I remember correctly, before today's match Tottenham and Arsenal were in 7th and 8th and only 3 and 4 points behind 4th place. They obviously have played well up until this point, but there's very little separation between them. They have a long way to go to try to hold it.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

edit: damnit the gif isn't working

Old
11-17-2012, 10:20 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

It's official - Newcastle stinks.

Well, a Newcastle without Coloccini (suspension), Cabaye (injury), and Cisse (Senegal ****ing over NUFC by invoking the "5 day rule")

Old
11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
It's an amazing goal, but I think people are being absolutely ridiculous when they say it's "the best goal in the history of soccer" - I dont think it's even remotely close to that.

The amazing thing about it is his intelligence and presence of mind to even attempt such a thing, he realized the goalie was so far out that the entire goal was empty, brilliant. But after the high IQ bit, the rest is just execution, I dont think it's as big a deal as people are raving about, as remarkable as it was.

When you say, "best goal ever", you're setting the bar kindof high!
Ehhh, that execution is not "just execution", very, very few players in the world are capable of doing exactly that. If anyone else. Or as Arsene Wenger put it: "it's impossible for a normal athlete".

Old
11-17-2012, 01:23 PM
VaxjoDevil

Thanks Norwich. A really good performance by their footballers.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:30 PM
BackSpasm Kovy
Reaching for the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Messi can run left and right and finish off tic-tac-toe plays for the rest of his career, Ronaldo can try his fake Ronaldo (the real one) tricks and Juninho free kicks too. None of them has what Zlatan has. He`s more than just an ordinary player.

The last player that had that factor was Zidane.
Lol wut?

I agree about Ronaldo, but everything else is way off.

Messi is a generational talent, he's not the flashy guy but this guy is sensational. What is amazing about Messi is the way he sees the game, he's always on the go, he reads the play so well.

His passing abilities are up there with the best I've seen, he has the finishing abilities of a pure scorer, and the ability to create space out of nothing.

Zlatan in an amazing player, but people seems to always think flashy players are the better players.

Only reason why there's debates about Ronaldo being better then Messi, it's because Ronaldo does stuff the flashy way, but in reality, he's no way near Messi in term of being a complete player

Old
11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Jeeze, Norwich, West Brom, Reading, and Liverpool all win? What are the chances?!

Old
11-17-2012, 01:53 PM
VaxjoDevil

Although I would put Messi as the best player, Zlatan's biggest asset is his ability to score, to score in important moments, and his way of seeing the field in a Zidanesque way, creating chances out of nothing with a one-touch. The thing is his kind of "flashiness" puts fear into any defense. You can just never tell what will happen with him around. There is a reason it's now customary that any team playing Sweden has a video session solely devoted to Zlatan.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Notes View Post
Lol wut?
You`d have to know me and understand what that means in my book. There`s best and best. Only God knows if I ever put Crosby over Datsyuk on my list. And I`d have to be crazy not to call him the best player in the world simply based on numbers. That`s not going to stop me from saying what I say. Guess it`s hard to explain. All I have to say is that the effort you put in this comment was, simply put, just a complete waste of time. Mine and everyone else`s.

Doesn`t matter. No hard feelings. Moving on.

ManCity had two penalty kicks? Did the referee confused the statium he was on?

Old
11-17-2012, 02:13 PM
FirmestPiano

One goal and all of a sudden he's at the same level as Messi and Ronaldo? Ridiculous.

Ronaldo not being a complete player? Utter ********. He does it all. You'd actually argue that he's more of a complete player than Messi or at least at the same level. Messi doesn't even have a right foot.

I've seen Zlatan play a lot throughout the years and for me he's great but not amazing. Has everyone forgotten the games he always goes missing? Especially in the most important ones. He's never performed well in the CL, he might have scored some special goals but never truly played to the best of his abilities when it's mattered the most.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:17 PM
VaxjoDevil

Put Ronaldo on the Swedish national team and he will go missing too.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

OK let`s all just calm down for a second.

Try to THINK what that quote might mean.

Compare Crosby and Datsyuk, Lundqvist and Marty. This is not about some flash, it`s not about the consistency, it`s about being something more than just another athlete. Zlatan will never achieve what Messi already has and will, the numbers will never back it up. But when you watch him play, the plays he`s able to pull off, the goals he`s able to score, there`s no way you don`t see the difference. There are numerous flashier guys in football. Nobody`s like Zlatan, just as there was nobody like Zidane back in the day. You may say that there`s nobody as good as Messi either, nobody using his technique. And you would be right saying that. There`s difference between showing brilliance, astonishing technique and wizardry. Not every scuplture is flawless, but even those that are can be ranked and only one will come on the top, for a reason.

If you still don`t understand, I gues we`ll just have to put this discussion into rest and leave it there. Simple as that. I can`t describe it any other way.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:23 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

I'll take the real Ronaldo over any of them. Shame how poorly Brazilians (for the most part, kaka cafu not inclusive treat themselves)

CRonaldo prob the best player atm, but doesn't discredit Zlatan at all

Old
11-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Ehhh, that execution is not "just execution", very, very few players in the world are capable of doing exactly that. If anyone else. Or as Arsene Wenger put it: "it's impossible for a normal athlete".
That's my thinking on the goal. Just making that kick is something that very few players could pull off. At that distance, and the essential 'no-look' on the play, it is a very very difficult shot to pull off. The goalie wasn't in the net, but there was a defender right there who still almost got a piece of it. Put a little less on that shot and he probably clears it out just short of the line. It really is a pretty ridiculous goal as so few could pull off such a shot given the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Although I would put Messi as the best player, Zlatan's biggest asset is his ability to score, to score in important moments, and his way of seeing the field in a Zidanesque way, creating chances out of nothing with a one-touch. The thing is his kind of "flashiness" puts fear into any defense. You can just never tell what will happen with him around. There is a reason it's now customary that any team playing Sweden has a video session solely devoted to Zlatan.
The other thing that adds to it for him seems to how he does what he does (especially these great 'athletic' type plays) with his size. You don't usually see guys that are that tall that can make these kind of plays. It makes it look more "flashy" to an extent just because it is that much rarer to see a guy with that build do what he does.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
If I had to pick between them, Messi is the one I'd want to watch and marvel at. Ronaldo would be the one I'd want on my team throughout the season. Zlatan is the one I'd want for one clutch game.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:41 AM
FirmestPiano

Id definitely not want Zlatan in a clutch game. Because you don't know if he'll perform or not. Better players for that.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:17 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

That save at :45 is sick.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:18 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Apparently Edinson Cavani's agent has been in touch with Liverpool and Arsenal.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:21 PM
BackSpasm Kovy
Reaching for the top

I understand your point on Zlatan, he can do stuff that no one else can do, he's a magician with the ball and it's amazing to watch. He's maybe the best in that aspect of the game.

But my point is that he's not at the same level as the Messi's and the Ronaldo's. He has shown alot of inconsistency in his game and when he's playing bad, it's horrible to watch. But when he's playing good, he's really brillant.

Now Messi needs 7 more goals.to beat the record for most goals in a calendar year. He has 78 now and the record.is 85.

This guy is simply amazing , he's only 25 and he most definetly deserve to win it yhe ballon d'or again this year and that would make him the player who won the most ballon d'or in history.

Only question mark on Messi, it's on the international level, but he's getting better

Old
11-18-2012, 05:38 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Seven games unbeaten.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:34 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
That's my thinking on the goal. Just making that kick is something that very few players could pull off. At that distance, and the essential 'no-look' on the play, it is a very very difficult shot to pull off. The goalie wasn't in the net, but there was a defender right there who still almost got a piece of it. Put a little less on that shot and he probably clears it out just short of the line. It really is a pretty ridiculous goal as so few could pull off such a shot given the chance.

The other thing that adds to it for him seems to how he does what he does (especially these great 'athletic' type plays) with his size. You don't usually see guys that are that tall that can make these kind of plays. It makes it look more "flashy" to an extent just because it is that much rarer to see a guy with that build do what he does.
You will like this piece on Zlatan, excellent writing.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/...d/1669?cc=5901

Closed Thread