HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 08:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
He looks good.

While every player thrives to some degree with good linemates, Kreider needs skill (which is why Callahan won't complement him very well IMO).

Kris Newbury is a good AHL player, a very good one at that, but he's a north-south guy that isn't particularly good at carrying the puck or dishing it off (that's not to say he can't pass, he's just not what I would call a playmaker). Unfortunately there isn't a ton of skill on the Whale; guys like Segal do well but they don't complement Kreider's skills. Thomas and Miller do, but they're rookies as well trying to find their way. MZA or JAM would have fit nicely on a line with Kreider, but they're gone.

In the games I've watched he looks similar to the way he did in college; good, but he's playing with the exact same type of linemates so it's hard to produce for him. He's not a dynamic offensive player, but if he plays with a guy who can find him with the puck he's lethal.

I could even see Kreider meshing with Christensen if he were still a Ranger.
Exactly. If MSC was on the Whale and centering him, I think Kreider would have double the points.

Old
11-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Exactly. If MSC was on the Whale and centering him, I think Kreider would have double the points.
But can he play at the AHL level?

Old
11-15-2012, 04:40 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Good read from Cerny on Kreider today on blueshirtsunited:

Quote:
From there most of the players found their way into the weight room for off-ice work, and by around 12:30 the arena, locker room, and strength and conditioning facilities were mostly empty---except for the areas where Dylan McIlrath and Christian Thomas guided a camera crew as they filmed the next Insider segment for BlueshirtsUnited.com.

Then at 1:00 Whale assistant Pat Boller curiously skated out on to the ice. Any questions as to why he had returned were answered moments later when Chris Kreider emerged from the tunnel and joined Boller on the ice. Kreider was not yet finished with his work day.

And it is this tremendous dedication and work ethic that is going to lift Chris Kreider to NHL stardom one day because with Kreider it's not just the world-class speed, soft hands, on and off-ice intelligence, and 6-foot-3 230 pound frame that sets him apart---though all of that certainly helps make him an elite level prospect. It is how hard he works at his craft that captures you.

And there he was Wednesday in an empty XL Center, long after everyone had gone home, tirelessly looking to perfect his shot with the aid of a helpful assistant coach.

Kreider routinely is the last, or among the last, player to exit the ice following Whale practice each and every day, usually with undrafted rookie Kyle Jean staying another 30 minutes or so working right alongside him. But on Wednesday Kreider took it a step further by creating his own double-session, if you will.
Read more:
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/20...s#.UKVu_IatbLZ

11-16-2012, 08:47 AM
mti79

vCash: 50
Going to my first WhalePack game of the season tonight. Looking forward to seeing a live hockey game again. And I'll try to tweet updates @mtq79 until the $2 beers kick in.

Looking forward to seeing Kreider, Miller, Jean, Hrivek, Yogan and that Gilroy kid up close and personal.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Chad Johnson's super long-awaited return to the XL Center could happen tonight.

Haha.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post

Haha.
Prince Chad, the guy that was going to replace King Henrik? LOL.

It's just pain.
Old
11-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Prince Chad, the guy that was going to replace King Henrik? LOL.
Aren't they the same age?

Old
11-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post

Haha.
We all know it will be either a shutout or he will be the number 1 star tonight. Any bets Lmao

Old
11-16-2012, 04:20 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey im going to my first whale game and was wondering if they're strict about bringing stuff in or if I could bring in a small flask and possibly a trophy? Long story...

Old
11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
Hey im going to my first whale game and was wondering if they're strict about bringing stuff in or if I could bring in a small flask and possibly a trophy? Long story...
I've got time.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogfizzle View Post
The new security company at the XL Center actually gives pat downs around the waist. It's very bizarre.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:26 PM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Its for my brothers bachelor party. We're celebrating our 15 year anniversary peewee championship so we want to bring in a trophy and would love to bring in a flask. Any medal detectors or just patdowns?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Just waiting on Kreider to dominate and I'm still waiting. :/

Old
11-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Ethan Werek got an assist. Another former Rangers prospect gets a point vs their old organization.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:21 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
We all know it will be either a shutout or he will be the number 1 star tonight. Any bets Lmao
Well you were only off by 36 seconds. That was ugly.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

It is just our own thinking and focus and superstition or does this happen to every team?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

I don't think they even played that bad. This team is young in a few areas, still finding their way, learning their roles. Ain't gonna panic or over analyze, but you guys are welcomed to.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Just waiting on Kreider to dominate and I'm still waiting. :/
a lot has to do with who he is playing with. in the big leagues passes won't be in his feet. tbh he looks bored out there, but i've gotta agree. he hasn't been as overly impressive as he looked in the big leagues-- certainly would expect more out of him playing with the other kids. maybe he's just focusing on his weaknesses more and trying to improve them down there???

Old
11-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Kreider is on like the third line. Tonight with Tessier and Kolarik, I think. Newbury was out. Kreider also doesn't get on the first two PP lines. He took a really dumb penalty in the third. He was trying to get to the bench and a Portland player wouldn't move, so he decided the best option would be to slash the guys leg out. Was surprised Kenny G let him play another shift, to be honest. Even though he isn't scoring he still looks good. He's so damn strong.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Osminator

This has to be the weakest AHL farmteam the Rangers have ever fielded. Other than Kreider, who's level of play seems to be dragged down by the futility of the others, this is one awful team that will get some good nights and some wins, but the reality is that they are barely a match against the other AHL teams.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Osminator

I wouldn't be surprised if Kreider left the Whale to join a European league if the lock out drags on.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Kreider left the Whale to join a European league if the lock out drags on.
That's way too disrespectful I think. A player who's mild tempered and mature and responsible (either superficially or truly so) wont do that, for better or for worse.

Leaving the club is essentially saying the team sucks, my teammates suck, the coaching staff is wasting my time and talent. A serious show of poor traits. He'll battle through it. They need to juggle the lines up more during scoring droughts. 5 or 6 goals on some nights and 0-1 on other nights. Something is clearly needing to be addressed

Old
11-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
a lot has to do with who he is playing with. in the big leagues passes won't be in his feet. tbh he looks bored out there, but i've gotta agree. he hasn't been as overly impressive as he looked in the big leagues-- certainly would expect more out of him playing with the other kids. maybe he's just focusing on his weaknesses more and trying to improve them down there???
I haven't had enough streams of the game to know for sure so don't flame me on this but I get a very real familiar feeling to Dubies situation where... He's obviously talented but because of the poor showing offensively on the score sheet and a few other infractions, he finds himself on the 3rd line with players that are offensively impotent. He tries to make plays with the puck and is generally strong and versatile on the puck but one can't dangle and out race the opposing D just because he's trying hard. The new guys to the team (JTM, CPT, CK) aren't being put to good use. Three of the most offensively potent players not making a difference... There's a greater reason than lack of effort from the players

Old
11-17-2012, 11:47 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I don't know. It's interesting. Miller is out there making things happen consistently. Getting a ton of PP time and was out there seemingly every other shift last night in the third. He looks almost identical to how he played in Junior. Not a superstar but a really good all around guy who thinks the game well and can make plays. And once in a rare while they are flat out spectacular plays.

Kreider has obviously had a much different learning curve. His speed is still a factor but alone it ain't enough. He has to learn to do more, and to his credit he did exactly that at the NCAA level over his 3 yrs when again speed was not enough. He's a student of the game and I'm confident he'll figure it out.

I hate to use the teammate excuse (because you know he isn't) but it's also a factor. Especially in the d-o transition game. He's not getting NHL caliber stretch passes that's for sure.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Curious, how is McIlrath doing? and what do you realistically expect from him going forward?

Closed Thread