HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Prospect Index 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 12:58 AM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Bad news for Duddy: Sean Duddy retired.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Bad news for Duddy: Sean Duddy retired
I retired already? ****

Old
11-16-2012, 10:04 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Daniel Catenacci with another 2 assists tonight. Bringing him up to 34 points in 21 games. 1 behind Alex Galchenyuk with one game in hand.

Grigorenko was held pointless tonight for only the 2nd time all year.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Daniel Catenacci with another 2 assists tonight. Bringing him up to 34 points in 21 games. 1 behind Alex Galchenyuk with one game in hand.

What's the relevance of the bolded. Galchenyuk is a full year younger than Catenacci, which is big in a league like that. If you extrapolate Galchenyuk's numbers out, he's on pace for 106 pts in 67 games in his 19 yr old season; Cat scored 72 pts in 67 games in his 19 yr old season.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:35 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
What's the relevance of the bolded. Galchenyuk is a full year younger than Catenacci, which is big in a league like that. If you extrapolate Galchenyuk's numbers out, he's on pace for 106 pts in 67 games in his 19 yr old season; Cat scored 72 pts in 67 games in his 19 yr old season.
Draft position maybe?

Old
11-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Highlights from last night's Wisconsin-Minnesota game via FS North:(Note: I had to disable a popular browser extension to remove a playback error.)

EDIT: Here's the YouTube of McCabe's spin pass:

Last edited by Woodhouse: 11-18-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I agree. I also don't see anyone bringing up Sundher's numbers from his fourth CHL year strictly for comparison to Catenacci's current output in his fourth. While I do rate Catenacci higher (in the #7-10 prospect range; and he plays a complete game), Sundher did have 22+42 in 40 GP with Victoria last season before his trade and concussion, which is a nearly identical PPG to Catenacci. However, Sundher only added 4+7 in his final 18 GP with Brandon.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:01 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post

Cat is only 4 points back from being 2nd in league scoring, and he has games in hand on everyone in front of him. The kid is having a spectacular season and is looking like he could be a real steal. Considering he has an excellent 2-way game, I think his chances of making the Canadian WJC team are pretty solid. Best player on the best team in the OHL. Not bad at all.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Makarov followed up a solid SSS with a 42 save shutout last night:
Quote:
No. 1 star: Andrey Makarov, Saskatoon Blades (WHL)

After only allowing two pucks get past him in two games for Russia against Team WHL in the Subway Super Series, Makarov picked up for the Blades right where he left off for his country. The Buffalo Sabres prospect stoned the Prince George Cougars, turning 42 shots away in a 4-0 win.

Every period was practically identical. The Cougars put 14 shots on net every period; the Blades posted 12 a period.

When Makarov is on his game, he is nearly impossible to beat. He proved that once again against Prince George in the CN Centre, posting his first shutout of the season.

Nevertheless, it is tough to say whether tonight's outstanding performance will trigger a strong latter half of the season or if it will start a short hot streak that will fizzle out. The 6-foot-1, 193-pounder has been a hot-and-cold goaltender in Saskatoon. His worst cold stretch of the season came at the beginning of October when he allowed 19 goals against in the first five games of the month.

Link: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...062442351.html

Old
11-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Cat is only 4 points back from being 2nd in league scoring, and he has games in hand on everyone in front of him. The kid is having a spectacular season and is looking like he could be a real steal. Considering he has an excellent 2-way game, I think his chances of making the Canadian WJC team are pretty solid. Best player on the best team in the OHL. Not bad at all.
As pointed out by Woodhouse, he's in a similar position as Sundher was last season. I've asked a couple of the prospect gurus on Twitter (Edwards, Luedeke) about Cat's chances and both expressed doubt that he'd even be invited to WJC camp. They felt his lack of track record with Hockey Canada and the strength of the field due to the lockout would work against him.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:02 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
His chances are not solid at all.
If the lockout is still ongoing when the Team Canada selection camp roster is named on December 3rd and when the camp opens on December 10th, he has little to no shot.
Instead of the usual 40+ players, they'll take 27 or 28.
Eliminate around half of those invites for four goaltenders and probably ten defenseman, and he's in tough.

Plus, look at a projected forward lineup:
Danault
Huberdeau
Hudon
Jenner
MacKinnon
Nugent-Hopkins
Rattie
Scheifele
Strome

All of those forwards are sure bets to make the team, IMO.
Then there's guys like Di Giuseppe, Drouin, Graovac, Griffith, McNeill, Monahan, Ritchie, Shinkaruk, and Wilson that are all strong candidates for the remaining invites.
It's not like they're lacking options down the middle with Danault, Jenner, Nugent-Hopkins, MacKinnon, Scheifele, and Strome as locks and I don't see him winning a top nine spot.
That leaves him with a shot at fourth line wing or 13th forward, which they'll probably fill up with bigger guys like Graovac, McNeill, Monahan, Ritchie, and Wilson as the top nine is mostly averaged sized guys.

Plus, as Zip said, his prior experiences with the POE are not positive ones.
His U18 performance was awful and he didn't want to buy into the team concept, which is part of the reason why his draft stock dropped.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

I don't think Catenacci has a chance at WJC either.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:12 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I don't think Catenacci has a chance at WJC either.
Dan C another goal and assist tonight bringing him up to 36 points in 22 games, was also a +3. Only 2 points behind Seth Griffith for 2nd in points in OHL.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:49 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Nothing wrong with keeping your fingers crossed. He's played as well as anyone.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:32 AM
PensFan6687

And he's still a 19-year-old posting these numbers. He was 18-19 when he hit 72 in 67 games. People have to figure when a guy's Birthday is. He's still a 19-year-old producing phenomenal numbers and plays a solid complete game. He's offensive, defensive, and physical for a guy his size. He's a great combination of speed, grit, heart, and offence, and plays smart in his team's end. I think he has an outside chance of making the WJC squad, but I wouldn't count him out yet, especially with the year he's been having. If he somehow manages to take it to a whole other level, I think if you're the guys running the Canadian squad, you have to give him a long look. You would be foolish not to. Draft selection aside, I think what a player has done this past year should and has more credibility vs. the hype machine pimping a player by the media. He did play in the Subway Super Series for Team OHL for one game. Granted it's one of the 3 major leagues that comprise the CHL, but it still says something, and from a fan's perspective in the Catenacci thread in the Prospect's section who who went to the game observed (that's a mouthful!), he was the best overall forward for Team OHL in that game, even over Ryan Strome.

A mature player who plays a complete game putting up dominating numbers on one of the best Junior teams in the CHL this season... yeah, Team Canada won't ignore that. Some think it's foolish that he'll get a look. I think it's foolish for those to believe he won't.

Last edited by PensFan6687: 11-18-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old
11-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
His chances are not solid at all.
If the lockout is still ongoing when the Team Canada selection camp roster is named on December 3rd and when the camp opens on December 10th, he has little to no shot.
Instead of the usual 40+ players, they'll take 27 or 28.
Eliminate around half of those invites for four goaltenders and probably ten defenseman, and he's in tough.

Plus, look at a projected forward lineup:
Danault
Huberdeau
Hudon
Jenner
MacKinnon
Nugent-Hopkins
Rattie
Scheifele
Strome

All of those forwards are sure bets to make the team, IMO.
Then there's guys like Di Giuseppe, Drouin, Graovac, Griffith, McNeill, Monahan, Ritchie, Shinkaruk, and Wilson that are all strong candidates for the remaining invites.
It's not like they're lacking options down the middle with Danault, Jenner, Nugent-Hopkins, MacKinnon, Scheifele, and Strome as locks and I don't see him winning a top nine spot.
That leaves him with a shot at fourth line wing or 13th forward, which they'll probably fill up with bigger guys like Graovac, McNeill, Monahan, Ritchie, and Wilson as the top nine is mostly averaged sized guys.

Plus, as Zip said, his prior experiences with the POE are not positive ones.
His U18 performance was awful and he didn't want to buy into the team concept, which is part of the reason why his draft stock dropped.
What exactly makes guys like Danault and Hudon a lock but Catenacci a guy who has little to no shot? Team Canada historically likes their older guys. So if the past is anything to judge on, Drouin, Monahan, and Shinkaruk have a very, very slim chance of making the team asssuming that MacKinnon makes it. A hard working, solid all around player seems like just the guy they may be looking for with a 4th line wing or 13th forward.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
What exactly makes guys like Danault and Hudon a lock but Catenacci a guy who has little to no shot? Team Canada historically likes their older guys. So if the past is anything to judge on, Drouin, Monahan, and Shinkaruk have a very, very slim chance of making the team asssuming that MacKinnon makes it. A hard working, solid all around player seems like just the guy they may be looking for with a 4th line wing or 13th forward.
they have a track record with hockey canada, If Catenacci plays for Canada its not because they want him for a scoring role because they have other guys to do that. Its because they want him to bring a physical game. This type of game favours guys like Hudon and Danult who are terrific at doing this. Its unlikely that Catenacci makes the team but he still has a slight chance if he gets an invite.

RNH
Scheifele
MacKinnon
Strome
Rattie
Hudon
Danult
Jenner
Huberdeau

Those would be the locks at foward off the top of my head, then you have guys like Drouin, Monahan, Wilson and a few others. Personally I think Monahan is pretty close to a lock but some may disagree. Every year there seems to be a suprise at camp though so who knows.

Will MacKinnon, Drouin, and Monahan be wearing cages if they make the team?

Old
11-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Highlights from last night's Wisconsin-Minnesota game via FS North:(Note: I had to disable a popular browser extension to remove a playback error.)
You know on the Prospects board in the USA 2013 WJC Roster thread a lot of the older and more knowledgeable posters not only have McCabe making the roster, but on the first or second pairing with Trouba. Has he been that good this year? It kinda shocked me since I had not heard anyone talking about him or his season to date here.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:01 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
You know on the Prospects board in the USA 2013 WJC Roster thread a lot of the older and more knowledgeable posters not only have McCabe making the roster, but on the first or second pairing with Trouba. Has he been that good this year? It kinda shocked me since I had not heard anyone talking about him or his season to date here.
I've seen a few posters here mention him (one in a "steals of the 2012 draft" thread). From what others have said, he was very impressive last year as a true freshman. Iveseen people say on some nights, he was Wisconsin's best player, which is saying something when you have a highly touted, and a few years older, guy like Schultz on your team. He's also in a program that has a really strong track record for producing quality defenders.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I've seen a few posters here mention him (one in a "steals of the 2012 draft" thread). From what others have said, he was very impressive last year as a true freshman. I've seen people say on some nights, he was Wisconsin's best player, which is saying something when you have a highly touted, and a few years older, guy like Schultz on your team. He's also in a program that has a really strong track record for producing quality defenders.
Oh I know all of what was said last year, I'm looking for info and scouting reports specifically from this year. He went from a possible roster make as a #7 for the USA WJC team to now suddenly being on the top pairing ahead of Seth Jones. Again it was just a bit surprising considering no one here is talking about him and he seems to have made such huge strides in development so far this year.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:34 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Oh I know all of what was said last year, I'm looking for info and scouting reports specifically from this year. He went from a possible roster make as a #7 for the USA WJC team to now suddenly being on the top pairing ahead of Seth Jones. Again it was just a bit surprising considering no one here is talking about him and he seems to have made such huge strides in development so far this year.
Ah yeah. Probably just isn't getting much hype for whatever progress hes made because it's much harder to find ways to watch college hockey than the CHL, AHL, or any of the euro leagues. If he is on the WJC team, that showing will likely be the only time a lot of people see him play this year, myself included.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well, the reason it's quiet in here is two-fold: (1.) Wisconsin's only had three televised games so far, including two this weekend versus Minnesota; and (2.) Wisconsin's been losing and at 1-5-2 really miss forwards Zengerle (injured) and Kerdiles (suspended) on offense, so spotlights on the D in summaries have been typically blocked shots or minuses to date.

FS Wisconsin, Big Ten Network, NBCSN, etc. will air seven of their next eight games (nine of ten if you include these past two Minnesota games); see a full TV schedule HERE; ie. Fri Nov 30 at Denver airs on NBCSN.

Also, @AndyJohnsonB5Q and @AndyBaggotWSJ cover Wisconsin hockey on Twitter.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
they have a track record with hockey canada, If Catenacci plays for Canada its not because they want him for a scoring role because they have other guys to do that. Its because they want him to bring a physical game. This type of game favours guys like Hudon and Danult who are terrific at doing this. Its unlikely that Catenacci makes the team but he still has a slight chance if he gets an invite.

RNH
Scheifele
MacKinnon
Strome
Rattie
Hudon
Danult
Jenner
Huberdeau

Those would be the locks at foward off the top of my head, then you have guys like Drouin, Monahan, Wilson and a few others. Personally I think Monahan is pretty close to a lock but some may disagree. Every year there seems to be a suprise at camp though so who knows.

Huh? Hudon? Excellent physical game? Not sure I necessarily agree with that.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Huh? Hudon? Excellent physical game? Not sure I necessarily agree with that.
More like extremly high compete level, he knows how to get others off there game and was great in the Russia Canada summer series and the SSS.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:50 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Well, Danault will shut you down and outscore you too.
He's an elite shutdown forward at the junior level, can score, busts his ass every shift, and is a great team guy.
As for Hudon, HC loves him and rightfully so.
He's so slick and smart and has improved his skating.
Catenacci may have the better statistics this year, but Hudon has the history (invited to U18 as an underager, tore up the Hlinka, surprised those who didn't know about him at the CAN-RUS series) and is smarter.

Drouin probably played his way into an invite by matching Yakupov's SSS total in a whopping one game, has insane chemistry with MacKinnon (he makes everyone better, honestly), and his combination of drive and smarts makes him an absolute game breaker.
Monahan gets an invite because he's so versatile and will play well in whatever situation he's put in.
Shinkaruk is also a 94 and has a track record that speaks for itself, with a scoring touch in WHL and international play that is hard to ignore.
He probably has the least chance of making the team, but is deserving of an invite IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Drouin and MacKinnon would have cages, Monahan wouldn't since he's 18.

Closed Thread