HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
As in production? Besides the "small" factor, I see them as different styles.

He reminds me of Pat Kane... (not saying he will be like pat kane.. just the way he plays.)
this is the most common comparison.

When Gaudreau went to Boston College Montgomery also said that Gaudreau was the most talented player to come out of the USHL in the past 10 years.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:29 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
5'8. 153 lb.

Really???

The second he gains the weight necessary to withstand NHL defenseman he's going to lose that speed and agility that's allowed him to become an NCAA star.

I don't see it with him. It's like Toni Rajala a few years back.

Old
11-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
5'8. 153 lb.

Really???

The second he gains the weight necessary to withstand NHL defenseman he's going to lose that speed and agility that's allowed him to become an NCAA star.

Just like Tyler Ennis did at 157 pounds?

Old
11-17-2012, 03:51 PM
FoppaForsberg*

You don't necessarily have to be that heavy to be effective even if you are small (Steve Sullivan, 161 pounds).

Old
11-17-2012, 04:06 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
5'8. 153 lb.

Really???

Mmmmm, don't think that's 100% certain. How many times have you watched him, btw?

Old
11-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Rolen
setoguchi sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
Mmmmm, don't think that's 100% certain. How many times have you watched him, btw?
I'll bet never, but he's an Oiler fan so it is obligatory for him to go against him.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:26 PM
GetThePuckOut

Gaudreau has the perfect playing style for overcoming small stature; he's incredibly shifty, quick, high IQ, and a great passer. All the traits for small players to overcome their size, he has in spades, as well as having a ridiculous skill set overall. So if anyone at that size can make the NHL then it's him.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Gaudreau has the perfect playing style for overcoming small stature; he's incredibly shifty, quick, high IQ, and a great passer. All the traits for small players to overcome their size, he has in spades, as well as having a ridiculous skill set overall. So if anyone at that size can make the NHL then it's him.
Solid post.

He has another 3yrs (this year included) at Boston College.

With the staff at BC and Flames development coach Rich Hesketh keeping in touch, and giving diets and workout programs, he should gain some solid mass before his NHL career begins.

I could see him easily being 5'9 - 170lbs

Old
11-17-2012, 05:02 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Just like Tyler Ennis did at 157 pounds?
God knows that Steve Sullivan never had a successful career at 161 pounds.

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 11-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Good knows that Steve Sullivan never had a successful career at 161 pounds.
Wasn't Fleury 160 through most of his playing career too?

Old
11-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Another comment I have heard about Gaudreu on multiple occasions is about his vision and how he is able to see everything happening on the ice.

His lower body strength is also very good, anyone to watch him regularly would know that he does win a good share of his puck battles.

Old
11-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Another comment I have heard about Gaudreu on multiple occasions is about his vision and how he is able to see everything happening on the ice.

His lower body strength is also very good, anyone to watch him regularly would know that he does win a good share of his puck battles.
It's true. I purchased a Boston College yearly pass so I can watch (lots) his games. A perfect example of his excellent vision would be the game winning assist the other night in a 4-3 BC win. He drew both defenders to him, dangled the blue line at high speed, and placed a perfect pass on the tape of his winger streaking down... This is one of many examples. I really believe he will lots of positive attention at the World Juniors this January...

Old
11-17-2012, 08:19 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

4th round picks are basically throwaways so I like taking a flyer on a player who's gonna do all that he can to prove himself.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:19 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
5'8. 153 lb.

Really???

Such an uneducated comment (but then again, you probably think of training as in bodybuilding and that hockey players do hours and hours of curls)

Old
11-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Haha, what? It was Kreider this, Kreider that for the last two years from Rangers fans. He was always a top prospect. And the facts are that Gaudreau was one point behind Kreider's Junior season as a freshman!
I'm talking about top prospects in hockey not just 1 of the 30 teams.

his stock really improved overall among all top prospects last year.

Quote:
And at this point, Gaudreau's size hasn't hampered him at all. He's out competing 6'3-230 pound, 24 year old defensemen, when we were all told he couldn't sustain his USHL production in the NCAA. It's no guarantee he'll be in the NHL, but to dismiss him for his size at this point is just foolish.
At this point it's still only the NCAA, looking at other small guys who ahve excelled and won the Hobey it's still a long way from top prospect status never mind the "steal of the draft."

No one is dismissing him but people should be realistic about the odds here.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

We all saw what Jordan Schroeder did in his draft year and as a Canucks fan I was thrilled that he dropped to us but his skillset hasn't translated into pro success and he is thicker than John is.

He excelled in the WJC as an 18 year old then looked not quite as good as a 19 year old (which is what Johnny is this year) but still had a good series.

People really under esitmate the transition to the pros for small guys can be extremely tough.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I'm talking about top prospects in hockey not just 1 of the 30 teams.

his stock really improved overall among all top prospects last year.

At this point it's still only the NCAA, looking at other small guys who ahve excelled and won the Hobey it's still a long way from top prospect status never mind the "steal of the draft."

No one is dismissing him but people should be realistic about the odds here.
Sure he was thrust in the spotlight because of the playoffs, but any educated fan knew that the Rangers had a gem well before that.

In the last 10 years, there's only been one sophomore who's won the Hobey Baker. And Gaudreau is smaller.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Sure he was thrust in the spotlight because of the playoffs, but any educated fan knew that the Rangers had a gem well before that.
Yes and alot of that hype, praise ect.. was because of the way he can skate and his size. Size translates a little better to the pro game all things being equal.

Quote:
In the last 10 years, there's only been one sophomore who's won the Hobey Baker. And Gaudreau is smaller.
I don't know if he is going to win the Hobey or not but either way it's not going to affect his NHL chances.

Until he actually hits the pros he will be a hyped prospect that is really small and yes like every prospect he will have something to prove in the pros.

His chances are less and were less than Kreider because of his size plain and simple.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:00 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
We all saw what Jordan Schroeder did in his draft year and as a Canucks fan I was thrilled that he dropped to us but his skillset hasn't translated into pro success and he is thicker than John is.

He excelled in the WJC as an 18 year old then looked not quite as good as a 19 year old (which is what Johnny is this year) but still had a good series.

People really under esitmate the transition to the pros for small guys can be extremely tough.
Schroeder had 1 amazing season at 17 but wasn't able to reproduce it until he had a solid season last year unlike JG who had a ppg season his first year in the NCAA and is now producing at 1.4ppg this season, not only that they are extremely different players Schroeder is a solid offensive player with a very good defensive game where as JG has a much higher offensive talent.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:27 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
People underestimate how hard it can be to actually hit a small player sometimes. Yeah its going to be easy for a 6 foot, 215 pound forward to manhandle a 5 foot 8, 170 pound forward on the boards, or how easy it will be for a 6 foot 2, 210 pound dman to push him from the front of the net, but how often are those tow actually going to be able to put hands on him?

Not as often as you think. That's why I hated little guys as a giant dman. They wee so shifty and could change direction so fast, it was hard to get a bead on them.

Your not going to see Gaudreau fighting for a puck along the boards, using his size to push players out of the way, or seeing him fighting for position in front of the net to try and tip a shot. That's not his game. So why would he need body size for that?

Seriously, look at one of the most successful players in the past 10 years: Martin St Louis. He's virtually the same height, and only 170 pounds and he's a dynamo on the ice.

It's just idiotic to write a guy off on size alone.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:40 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
People underestimate how hard it can be to actually hit a small player sometimes. Yeah its going to be easy for a 6 foot, 215 pound forward to manhandle a 5 foot 8, 170 pound forward on the boards, or how easy it will be for a 6 foot 2, 210 pound dman to push him from the front of the net, but how often are those tow actually going to be able to put hands on him?

Not as often as you think. That's why I hated little guys as a giant dman. They wee so shifty and could change direction so fast, it was hard to get a bead on them.

Your not going to see Gaudreau fighting for a puck along the boards, using his size to push players out of the way, or seeing him fighting for position in front of the net to try and tip a shot. That's not his game. So why would he need body size for that?

Seriously, look at one of the most successful players in the past 10 years: Martin St Louis. He's virtually the same height, and only 170 pounds and he's a dynamo on the ice.

It's just idiotic to write a guy off on size alone.
People like to play the odds so they can look back and say they were right, regardless of the players skill level. It's up to the player to use that for motivation.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:51 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Gaudreau with a 5 point game today.

19 points in 11 games so far this season.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Gaudreau with a 5 point game today.

19 points in 11 games so far this season.
I watched the whole game.. The kid is one of the most skilled hockey players I have ever watched. I'm not being a homer, it's legit. He did get knocked over pretty hard on his first goal... Was a little worried. I can't wait to see him put on a few pounds of muscle!

2G 3A today for him in a 6-3 BC win.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Lebowski

How does he compare to a guy like Brendan Gallagher?

Old
11-24-2012, 08:13 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
How does he compare to a guy like Brendan Gallagher?
Not as gritty as Gallagher, huge upside too.

Closed Thread