HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

OEL to Edm

Old
11-17-2012, 06:05 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
You mean Edmonton, right? And um so? Just because some people think he is a hockey god does NOT mean he is worth more than OEL. Saying he is worth more because of that, or because Edmonton thinks he is untouchable, so therefore PHX has to add significantly, is beyond stupid reasoning. Thadd, I've seen your previous posts, and I think your an excellent poster...but that one post made me
I don't know if you pay attention at all to the World Juniors, but they're a big deal here.

Add onto the great success Eberle has had in the NHL and there is no chance Edmonton is trading him. Even for OEL.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Avs44

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I don't know if you pay attention at all to the World Juniors, but they're a big deal here.

Add onto the great success Eberle has had in the NHL and there is no chance Edmonton is trading him. Even for OEL.
Ok. Great. I never said Edmonton would trade Eberle. Merely pointing out how stupid it is to state PHX would have to add significantly. because Eberle is untouchable.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Avs44

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
No, I mean Canada. It would take a huge overpayment to get Edmonton to trade him simply because he is so well-liked. He's kind of a big deal.
Great. It would take overpayment to get him out of Edmonton. Your realize the same can be said for OEL, right?

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:24 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Yeah, I think it makes sense from both sides....but which side actually makes the call?

I don't think either GM considers trading these guys at the moment....even though the depth is sorta there...

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

As an Oiler fan, I'd do this (ignoring non-hockey considerations)

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:01 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledGun View Post
I personally think OEL is one of the best young defensemen in the game and is poised to develop into an all situations number one defencemen.

My proposal is one that other Oiler fans probably won't like as it is dealing away a fan favorite but here goes:

From EDM:
Jordan Eberle
Martin Marincin

From PHO:
OEL

Is the value fair? This is my first proposal so flame away.
I think the value is there. The problem is: You almost never see teams swap franchise guys unless there are some major locker room/character issues that a change of scenery would help.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:16 PM
ducky

Quote:
No, I mean Canada. It would take a huge overpayment to get Edmonton to trade him simply because he is so well-liked. He's kind of a big deal.
Maybe you are too young to remember him but there was a player named Gretzky. He was "kind of a big deal" and was pretty well - liked. I think there is a trophy of him in Edmonton in fact. He was traded.

Fact remains a #1 dman with superstar potential is probably worth more than a top line winger.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:23 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Maybe you are too young to remember him but there was a player named Gretzky. He was "kind of a big deal" and was pretty well - liked. I think there is a trophy of him in Edmonton in fact. He was traded.

Fact remains a #1 dman with superstar potential is probably worth more than a top line winger.
No... He was sold

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Yeah, Gretzky was a very different situation.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:48 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Quote:

Well that was a unique circumstance. Edmonton made the trade for reasons that were not hockey related.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:54 PM
ducky

I thought it obvious I was giving a tongue in cheek retort to the "oh my *** don't you know Eberle is a World Junior hero, Canada idolizes him, no one would dare trade him" kind of over the top Oil fan statements.

So let's consider this.

OEL has been compared to a young Niklas Lidstrom and Scott Niedermeyer.

Here is a great article comparing Eberle to, among others, Heatley, Elias, Havlat and Gagne.

Would you trade Lidstom or Niedermeyer for any of those players?

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I thought it obvious I was giving a tongue in cheek retort to the "oh my *** don't you know Eberle is a World Junior hero, Canada idolizes him, no one would dare trade him" kind of over the top Oil fan statements.

So let's consider this.

Here is a great article comparing Eberle to, among others, Heatley, Elias, Havlat and Gagne.

I agree with you. Eberle is a good young player, but I think he's being over-valued a bit by Edmonton fans here with all this "they love him here." stuff. As a fan of neither team, I think OEL is on a completely different level. Not only do I think he's the better player, but I think his upside is higher as well. OEL is a defenseman I can see winning the Norris at some point.

I just didn't think the Gretzky comparison was appropriate, since times were different, and he really seemed to be sold rather than traded.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:18 PM
CSimpson18

To the last two posters, if you think I'm overvaluing Eberle or undervaluing OEL refer to post#23.

Since it's hypothetical I discussed what their relatives values actually are but Edmonton wouldn't actually trade Ebs. When his career is over, his number will be retired, he'll be inducted into the hall and receive the Order of Canada all on the same day. Obviously I'm exaggerating for effect. But that's gonna happen.

IMO the odds of OEL moving are considerably higher than the odds of Eberle being dealt. Obviously either player would command a king's ransom.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:21 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
So let's consider this.

What a ridiculous question. RNH has been compared to Gretzky. RNH is therefore worth wwwaaayyyy more than OEL.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
To the last two posters, if you think I'm overvaluing Eberle or undervaluing OEL refer to post#23.

Since it's hypothetical I discussed what their relatives values actually are but Edmonton wouldn't actually trade Ebs. When his career is over, his number will be retired, he'll be inducted into the hall and receive the Order of Canada all on the same day. Obviously I'm exaggerating for effect. But that's gonna happen.

IMO the odds of OEL moving are considerably higher than the odds of Eberle being dealt. Obviously either player would command a king's ransom.
...so, Edmonton would put Eberle before the team? If adding OEL made Edmonton better(and it would) it would be really quite silly to not consider moving Eberle because he's liked.

Edit: And on what basis does Eberle get into the HHOF?

Old
11-17-2012, 09:30 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
...so, Edmonton would put Eberle before the team? If adding OEL made Edmonton better(and it would) it would be really quite silly to not consider moving Eberle because he's liked.

Edit: And on what basis does Eberle get into the HHOF?
On the basis of you don't get sarcasm do you?

Old
11-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
On the basis of you don't get sarcasm do you?
Hey, you said it was going to happen. This basically all amounts to "Eberle is a good player. We really love him here, so he's untouchable." Off the top of my head I can't think of a single player who was untouchable just because he was loved.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:45 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Hey, you said it was going to happen. This basically all amounts to "Eberle is a good player. We really love him here, so he's untouchable." Off the top of my head I can't think of a single player who was untouchable just because he was loved.
So, no. k

I didn't use the word untouchable. I was careful to avoid that word. Eberle could be moved for the right price. But that price would be very, very high. Because he's so loved.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
So, no. k

I didn't use the word untouchable. I was careful to avoid that word. Eberle could be moved for the right price. But that price would be very, very high. Because he's so loved.
If that were true, that strikes me as horrible management by the Oilers.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:52 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
If that were true, that strikes me as horrible management by the Oilers.
Bad management that they would demand a high price for a great player? Lol. k.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Bad management that they would demand a high price for a great player? Lol. k.
It would be bad management not to trade from a strong point to remedy a weak 1.

I think very highly of Eberle (in fact, I consider him the best of whatever Edmonton is calling their high picks these days) but they have 3 other smallish skilled forwards with 3 being wingers but a severe lack on the defense.
If Justin Schultz ends up being the real deal adding OEL leaves the Oilers with a front line & 2 D to build around rather then having Justin going it alone on the D. You can project that Teubert & some others will become what you hope but this is an even trade that results in the Oilers getting a young D that appears on the upward slope @ the age of 21.
In Phoenix Eberle would probably become the heir to Doan when he retires while most Oiler fans I've spoken to see Hall as their next captain.

It's a fair trade from the OP. Both teams fill a need.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:55 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan52 View Post
It would be bad management not to trade from a strong point to remedy a weak 1.

I think very highly of Eberle (in fact, I consider him the best of whatever Edmonton is calling their high picks these days) but they have 3 other smallish skilled forwards with 3 being wingers but a severe lack on the defense.
If Justin Schultz ends up being the real deal adding OEL leaves the Oilers with a front line & 2 D to build around rather then having Justin going it alone on the D. You can project that Teubert & some others will become what you hope but this is an even trade that results in the Oilers getting a young D that appears on the upward slope @ the age of 21.
In Phoenix Eberle would probably become the heir to Doan when he retires while most Oiler fans I've spoken to see Hall as their next captain.

It's a fair trade from the OP. Both teams fill a need.
A fair post, although I think there are options to shore up the defense other than trading one of the kids.

I also do consider OEL as more valuable, hockey-wise, than Eberle. I still hope this trade never happens.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:08 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:

why?

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:00 AM
CSimpson18

Not because I think OEL will be but because I think Eberle almost definitely won't be traded. I'd be shocked if he was.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:26 AM
SDig14

I'm not a fan of the whole "This player is compared to X, and this one to X, therefore this player has the higher ceiling".

It's a very weak argument unless you are absolutely certain their careers will follow that exact path, which pretty much never happens.

Safe to say neither Eberle of OEL are being dealt anytime soon, unless it's an overpayment, which seems unlikely. These types of players are never traded simply because the GM with them never makes the call to shop them and GMs are rarely stupid enough to make a call about them unless there is some strange circumstances.

The Oilers will keep all of the kids for at least a few more years, see which ones are the best of the bunch, and then if the D hasn't been fixed by then you trade one of the lesser ones for a big piece on the back end.

There is far too much risk this early on that you could end up dealing the player that ends up being the best of the 4.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote