Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

So who is bummed about the lockout? II

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 02:40 PM
forthewild

vCash: 500
i wish i could read minds, i want to read fehr's mind, to see what his endgame is.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Thats easy. In his mind, the endgame is when he has pushed the NHL far enough that it relents and agrees to revert to pre-cap economics.

And I honestly do not think that is ever going to happen.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:53 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Thats easy. In his mind, the endgame is when he has pushed the NHL far enough that it relents and agrees to revert to pre-cap economics.

And I honestly do not think that is ever going to happen.
The NHL will fold operations before that happens.

Old
11-17-2012, 05:45 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
The NHL will fold operations before that happens.
Like Hostess!

Old
11-17-2012, 06:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

can't wait to stay up at weird hours to watch the Bratislava Blackhawks vs. the Lisbon Rangers fighting for the cup.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:04 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
can't wait to stay up at weird hours to watch the Bratislava Blackhawks vs. the Lisbon Rangers fighting for the cup.
i hope that train station is built in bratislava or travel might be slow

Old
11-17-2012, 06:29 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Yes I'm still alive and well. This blows.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Every player gets two million dollars. Equal. Go.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:38 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i fear that a not insignificant consideration in the ongoing negotiations is the appearance of "success". Who won? I know it's stupid, but there might have to be a major concession going both ways (off the latest proposal) just so both sides can call it a draw. I suggest the NHL stop making proposals now, no matter how reasonable, because in order for the PA to sign either Fehr is going to have to be scapegoated and railroaded or the NHL will have to appear to have caved in on a major point. There is no way in hell a players association run by Fehr is going to sign a proposal they rejected out of hand a week earlier.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:40 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Like Hostess!
Unions have outlived their worth here in he U.S. Time to scrap them all!

Old
11-17-2012, 06:55 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Wall Street have outlived their worth here in he U.S. Time to scrap them all!
FIFY

also yes, we need to get rid of unions, have a national labor policy with the federal government being the authority, but given how corrupt and bought the government is, unions are a sad neccesity

Old
11-17-2012, 11:48 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
FIFY

also yes, we need to get rid of unions, have a national labor policy with the federal government being the authority, but given how corrupt and bought the government is, unions are a sad neccesity
Hostess was a private company you twit... Wall street wasn't involved.

Remember, I grew up in Iowa... In Des Moines, we lived through the strife between Bridgestone/Firestone and the URW. However, in that case, I was on the side of the union, because of the corporate changes that happened to Firestone after Bridgestone acquired them in the late 80s. Rather than go off on a lengthy diatribe about labor unions versus professional sports associations, let me just say this...

Professional sports associations, while governed under the same set of laws that govern labor unions, are NOT the same. The players associations are, for lack of a better, term, more akin to country club memberships, than a labor union. The country club sets up terms by which the members, should they choose to be one, must operate and behave. They pay in, they leverage the relationship to enhance their own social standing and the incentives for both parties are enough to warrant this agreement.

If, let us say, the country club suddenly decides to put a restriction on cigar smoking in place, then the membership has a right to gather and fight such a restriction.

That is the nature of the relationship between a Sports League and a Players Association.

The nature between a labor union and a public corporation is very, very, very different. These sorts of unions are, without getting into another diatribe, VERY good for the common worker.

Now, if you want to talk about the parasitic nature of a PUBLIC union of tax payer funded employees, that is a different beast altogether. The fact that it is basically a parasitic palindrome of tax money going to cover salaries, which goes to the union, and the unions then in turn push a lot of money into politics, in order to solidify their existence...

So to re-cap...

NHL to NHLPA is a Mega Wealthy versus the Super Wealthy
Firestone to the URW is a mega corporation versus the factory worker making $12 an hour.
The SCIU to the Government is simply your tax dollars, at work.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:51 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Tell ya one thing, I don't like hearing this BS about making the next contract 4-5 years. Anyone feel like going through this #@$! again so soon? Because they sure as heck fail to make new contracts without a work stoppage. This lockout alone is gonna kill the league. Should it survive it, another lockout 4-5 years from now would be throwing the dirt over the casket.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Unions have outlived their worth here in he U.S. Time to scrap them all!
Agreed.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

What is going on with the players lately?

Quote:
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

MT @TEAM1040: Kris Versteeg tells @tsn1050radio that Bettman and Daly are "cancers' that have been "looting this game for far too long".
Quote:

Ridiculous that players have a fit 10 days ago w/ one subtle shot at Fehr, yet they've been assassinating Bettman's character since start
Quote:

RT @adater: NHL players can't get knickers in a twist anymore at being called cattle if they're going to call Bettman/Daly "cancers"
Quote:

Fehr should have put an end to this from the very beginning. It's not productive and it's galvanized the owners bigtime.
Quote:
Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur

Hey, NHL players: Stick to the moral argument, rather than second-grade insults. Hey, NHL: Try to avoid smearing reporters/players/the game.
I mean, I understand the whole echo-chamber thing, where they surround themselves with people who agree with them so maybe they think "yeah, everyone obviously agrees with me so people will be like, yeah, he's awesome 'cause he said that!" But really, do they ever think before they open their mouth/type on twitter? What good can possibly come of trying some pathetic attempt at character assassination after crying so long about the words from one team's executive who was promptly fined and forced to apologize?

Old
11-19-2012, 05:39 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I just read the list of players going to the meetings tonight...

Quote:
18 Players in NYC today meeting internally at the NHLPA temporary office space: Craig Adams, David Backes, Eric Brewer, Ryan Callahan ....Dan Cleary, Mathieu Darche, Marian Gaborik, Josh Gorges, Ron Hainsey, Jeff Halpern, Shawn Horcoff, Vincent Lecavalier, Andy McDonald ...... Brooks Orpik, Brad Richards, Marc Staal, Martin St. Louis & Dan Winnik.
It is also being reported the the NHLPA is not taking any new proposals to the table tonight.

Lovely tactics here...

Let's make it look like we are the ones that wanted the meeting, even though the NHL suggested that without anything new to talk about, they should break for the holidays. Then, instead of taking a relatively small group, let's posture and take 18+ players. That way, these twits can all go onto twitter afterwards and continue the elementary school tactic of saying "I know you are but what am I?"

In other words... prepare for the "NOUR" argument...

Old
11-19-2012, 06:19 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

If the players were upset about being publicly referred to as an animal, then you'd think they would have an issue with one of their own publicly comparing Bettman and Daly to something that kills millions of people each year. Bet we don't see Versteeg do another advertisement for Hockey Fights Cancer. How dumb does a person have to be to think using that kind of an attack on twitter would help their cause? I've got rocks outside that are smarter than Versteeg. It's finally starting to make sense why these guys have agents and handlers. Heck, it's amazing that they're able to tie their own skates with the lack of brain cells.

Hey Kris,

Moooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Old
11-19-2012, 06:28 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Furthermore, I question whether Versteeg knows what cancer is. I mean, how exactly would malignant, unregulated cell growth "loot" the game? Perhaps he's referencing "cancer" as the astrological sign, the crab. Crabs live in the sea, which is where (according to lore) you could find pirates, who are apt to loot.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:34 PM
forthewild

Quite honestly you can call out Bettman all you want but he's brought the game to 3.3b and with it the player pay has gone up for everyone.

Too bad the players want to spend more time attacking NHL and not sitting down and working on an agreement.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:38 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Furthermore, I question whether Versteeg knows what cancer is. I mean, how exactly would malignant, unregulated cell growth "loot" the game? Perhaps he's referencing "cancer" as the astrological sign, the crab. Crabs live in the sea, which is where (according to lore) you could find pirates, who are apt to loot.
Well played, sir. Well played.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Some crazy generalizations in this thread.

Also, that cow reminds me of Raffi Torres.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:59 PM
nickschultzfan

Haters gonna hate.

And the players are big haters right now.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:37 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

PA wants a meeting. They show up late. They don't bring a new proposal. They don't want to discuss economics.

Starting to look like they truly don't even want to make a deal.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:27 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Chris Botta

Quote:
Player text on NHL meeting: "More wasted time. Our choice is either give up everything to the league or watch them cancel the season."

Old
11-19-2012, 09:34 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
It's really shocking the bubble the players are in. I get that these guys have been focused on hockey, and not the real world, since they were kids, but dang, pick up the business section of a newspaper from time to time.

If they really felt strongly, they should have gotten their act together in the summer and come out swinging, when there was time and incentive to negotiate.

Now they are acting like they are getting screwed, when they get paid millions of dollars to play a game for a living.

Closed Thread