HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
11-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Billdo

vCash: 300
I understand it was negotiated with the team for a reason, but why is everyone so quick to assume that Volchenkov wouldn't waive due to his NMC? I find it hard to believe that for some reason he has absolutely no interest in going somewhere else.

Billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:09 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 500
It's not that he won't waive, it's that he probably won't waive to go just 'anywhere'. And not a lot of teams are going to take on that contract for a player who hasn't been the same since leaving Ottawa. Although at the rate things are going he'll only have two or three years left on his deal when we try to trade him as opposed to the four he does now

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:40 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 732DevilsFan View Post
I understand it was negotiated with the team for a reason, but why is everyone so quick to assume that Volchenkov wouldn't waive due to his NMC? I find it hard to believe that for some reason he has absolutely no interest in going somewhere else.
we got him as a free agent so any team that would want to pay his contract could have offered him a deal when he was a free agent. He picked us over any other bidders so he clearly wants to be here. Theres probably other places he would be willing to go, but those places could have had him then without paying assets in a trade.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Billdo

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
we got him as a free agent so any team that would want to pay his contract could have offered him a deal when he was a free agent. He picked us over any other bidders so he clearly wants to be here. Theres probably other places he would be willing to go, but those places could have had him then without paying assets in a trade.
he also may have picked up because we gave him more than anyone else would as far as years or money as well.

Billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Haha why does Maclean look so puffy in uniform next to Pete? Also Bruce Driver damn he got old.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Zippy316

When Marty is a UFA in 2014, so is Lundqvist.

Imagine if we actually did somehow get Lundqvist, how funny/ironic would that be? Have Matteau scoring on them and Lundqvist saving the Rangers.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:38 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
Sarge!
Bet he can still go.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
When Marty is a UFA in 2014, so is Lundqvist.

Imagine if we actually did somehow get Lundqvist, how funny/ironic would that be? Have Matteau scoring on them and Lundqvist saving the Rangers.
We did get Vanbiesbrouck years down the line after he was a Ranger. He had been gone like 10 years though by the time he came to us.

Volchenkov I've already been over. He wasn't too bad after the Panthers series aside from a few bad spots here, and there spread out. I can see that contract becoming a problem down the road. We still don't know what the cap ceiling will be, and we could be a lot closer to the cap ceiling than we think once Zajac, and Clarkson are re signed, if hopefully they choose to re sign. Not to mention raises to Josefson, and a more significant one to Henrique.

Also the people who think we should give Zubrus the same amount of money he got on this contract cause anything less would be an ''Insult'' like someone else told me on here. Let's hope that don't happen. After the Salvador contract who knows?

Old
11-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
We did get Vanbiesbrouck years down the line after he was a Ranger. He had been gone like 10 years though by the time he came to us.

Volchenkov I've already been over. He wasn't too bad after the Panthers series aside from a few bad spots here, and there spread out. I can see that contract becoming a problem down the road. We still don't know what the cap ceiling will be, and we could be a lot closer to the cap ceiling than we think once Zajac, and Clarkson are re signed, if hopefully they choose to re sign. Not to mention raises to Josefson, and a more significant one to Henrique.

Also the people who think we should give Zubrus the same amount of money he got on this contract cause anything less would be an ''Insult'' like someone else told me on here. Let's hope that don't happen. After the Salvador contract who knows?
Salvador got his $ because he's the leader of that D on the ice and in the room.

I'd be fine giving Zubie 2.5-3m on a 2 yr deal

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Salvador got his $ because he's the leader of that D on the ice and in the room.

I love Bryce, and I actually wanted him back this year months before July when other said to not keep him, and I was in the minority. I don't hate his contract at all. I just hope it doesn't lead to other contracts like that for guys like Zubrus. I think if JP's little baby hadn't wasted our time, Salvador would have signed for less before going to UFA. Lou just matched some of the higher offers, and he stayed because he wanted to be with us which I commend him.

Zubrus I'd feel more comfortable at $2.5 million. If our cap situation is fine maybe a little higher, but not for more than two years. I'd love for him to retire a Devil, but not at overpayment. I'd be happier to bend for Patty like I was for Marty.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I love Bryce, and I actually wanted him back this year months before July when other said to not keep him, and I was in the minority. I don't hate his contract at all. I just hope it doesn't lead to other contracts like that for guys like Zubrus. I think if JP's little baby hadn't wasted our time, Salvador would have signed for less before going to UFA. Lou just matched some of the higher offers, and he stayed because he wanted to be with us which I commend him.

Zubrus I'd feel more comfortable at $2.5 million. If our cap situation is fine maybe a little higher, but not for more than two years. I'd love for him to retire a Devil, but not at overpayment. I'd be happier to bend for Patty like I was for Marty.
It's a terrible, terrible contract. He's over 35 and he got a 3 year deal making 3M/year? That's very nearly Rolston-level stupid.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:04 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

with all this alumni talk......i just finished watching CBC's saturday night classic game bruins/habs game 4 from '78.....just before boston scores in OT lemaire is skating down the right wing and fire one omn net right handed from where gio always shot from......thing is lemaire is a lefty......awesome to see.

earlier in the shift he blasts one from the point regular handed.... what a shot he had!

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:11 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
It's a terrible, terrible contract. He's over 35 and he got a 3 year deal making 3M/year? That's very nearly Rolston-level stupid.
3 million on a 70 million cap is practically nothing though.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I would have loved to have gotten him for cheaper. If he hadn't gone to UFA we probably could have gotten him for a lot less. I can't help, but think a lot of the bidding was based off his playoffs too. I just don't want another contract like that to Zubrus though. $2.5 tops, and hopefully not for too many years.

Salvador's contract reminds me more of Pandolfo's than Rolston. Only I don't think Pandolfo was 35. Pandolfo got that big contract, and started slipping. The next year which was the year Madden was gone, he was just painful to watch. Loved the guy, but couldn't have been more happy to see him go when he asked for a his buyout.

Apice I don't think the cap will end up at $70 million. I think the proposed numbers last I saw were like $63 million for this year, and $66 for next, but at one time it was $60 million for next year with $58 for this year.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:07 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
It might not be a 70 million cap in a couple years at this rate, though with the NHL insisting on linkage who knows.

But yeah, the Salvador contract is a lot closer to Pando's than Rolston's...that's a good comparison actually. No no-trade clause and the contract itself is for fewer years, not as much salary and not nearly as much a percentage of the cap as the Rolston deal.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:43 PM
apice3*

Once we get a CBA, we can talk albatross contracts. Between the potential for a cap decrease or increase and a possible salary rollback, there are too many question marks.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Once we get a CBA, we can talk albatross contracts. Between the potential for a cap decrease or increase and a possible salary rollback, there are too many question marks.
Yeah this is true, and there's so many questions on what kinda salary will the first time UFA players get, and this and that. We won't know until the CBA is finished.

Was Rolston's a no trade clause? I don't remember, but we obviously got him to waive it. If Lou could make that contract go away I think he can make Salvador's go away if it gets bad. Worst case scenario is having to take on another player like we did Trent Hunter, and buying them out. I still think we can get a year or two at least out of Salvador playing well defensively. As far as offensively he was never any good until last years playoffs anyway, and I don't expect him to go through that again.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post

As would I. He's got a couple good years left, and that type of deal will give us time to transition Matteau in.

Quote:
I'm hoping that by the time he starts breaking down, it won't be a problem anymore. One year would have been ideal (but insulting to Sal), two years would have been fine, three years is bad, four would have been unforgivable.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Zubrus I would give $2.5 tops if it was up to me, and for 2 years. If we were able to lock up Zajac, and Clarkson I'd be comfortable going to $3 though. I'm not excited about any 35+ multi year deals. Marty I'd bend for cause he's Marty, Moose I'd bend for cause he's been great for us, and he also is more ready to take over for an injured Marty, than one of the AHL guys. Patty I'd bend for too. Zubrus I'd like to keep at $2.5. Him, and Salvador though on multi years, both at $3 million plus has me a little scared though. I'm pretty sure we're not gonna like at least one of those deals before they're over.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
The chief problem with Sal - and why I'm much more angry about giving this contract to him than I would be extending Zubrus with an over-35 contract at $3.4M for three years - is we have defense prospects. Lots of them. Excellent ones.

We don't have forward prospects.

As it stands, we've got one more NHL defenseman than we need right now, and I'm not sure how Gelinas or Urbom or Burlon could earn a roster spot given all the NHL depth ahead of them. And that's about a third of the defenseman who could be worthy in the next couple years.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:20 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
The chief problem with Sal - and why I'm much more angry about giving this contract to him than I would be extending Zubrus with an over-35 contract at $3.4M for three years - is we have defense prospects. Lots of them. Excellent ones.

As it stands, we've got one more NHL defenseman than we need right now, and I'm not sure how Gelinas or Urbom or Burlon could earn a roster spot given all the NHL depth ahead of them. And that's about a third of the defenseman who could be worthy in the next couple years.
As it stands now we're going to have to trade a Tallinder or Volchenkov sooner rather than later anyway because of Sal coming back, so it's pretty much a wash for this year. Zidlicky's most likely gone after this year (though I said the same thing about Sal last year) so that opens up a spot. I don't know if more than one of the kids are going to be ready for next year anyway. Or one of 'them' could be traded for a forward prospect.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Exactly.

I'd honestly be shocked if the cap comes down without some sort of roll backs or buy outs.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Zippy316

Quote:

Right now, we have six defenseman signed through 2013-2014, with Zidlicky and Harrold becoming UFAs. It seems that one defenseman has to go, which would give us five defenseman signed through 2013-2014.

For 2013-2014, our D group will probably look like:

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Fayne
Volchenkov/Tallinder-Urbom/Gelinas/Merrill

I could see us resigning Harrold as well.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Even with the turnover caused by other guys' contracts expiring, Sal is still likely to end up blocking a few of the prospects from making the NHL. However, he is a great veteran presence to mentor the kids. There are positives and negatives. I prefer to think of this as his gold watch contract. He's been a good Devil for 5 or 6 years now.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

Salvador has been a great Devil, and was a rock last year (amazingly, against all odds). That said, I hate the contract. I don't want to find out how effective he is or isn't at age 39. Also, as mentioned previously, we've got a lot of young talent coming up, and not much room to put it. We only free up one space next year by letting Zids go, but both Merrill and Urbom will be knocking hard on the door.

The other two examples of bad contracts mentioned (Rolston, Pandolfo) are slightly different because it's easier to "hide" a forward in the lineup. There are only 6 D, and if one of them isn't pulling their weight, you've got a problem.

Lou signed this contract with his heart and not his head.

Thunderfest is offline   Reply With Quote