HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Slava Fetisov says KHL wants Asian Division "in the next couple of years"

Old
11-16-2012, 11:43 PM
kaiser matias

vCash: 500
Slava Fetisov says KHL wants Asian Division "in the next couple of years"

Former Minister of Sport in Russia and current Senator, as well as a two-time Stanley Cup winner, two-time Olympic gold medal winner and seven-time World Champion, as well as Hockey Hall of Famer, Slava Fetisov recently gave an interview to the IIHF where he explained his/the KHL's future plans for expansion, not west, but east:

Slava Fetisov drops by IIHF

Quote:
You are currently working towards bringing a KHL team to Vladivostok, why have you chosen this city?

We have one team in the Far East already, Amur Khabarovsk. They have been hugely successful, but for me itís been part of my long term strategy to develop a pan-pacific KHL league in the next, I donít know, couple of years, to bring in two Japanese teams, two Korean teams, and a couple of teams from China. This would create an eight-team Pacific division within the KHL, which would give a good base for hockey in a huge market like Asia.

It could be a long time, it could be never. But thatís what my vision is, though people might look at me like Iím a lunatic (laughs). But I spoke to Renť about this and he does see the future there, and the only way to see the results is to start right now. The KHL exists, the teams are there.
Now I don't know what his role with the KHL is anymore (I don't think he has any meaningful position, if any, right now) but he is a very influential person in Russia regarding sports (thats why he was a minister). As for the business aspect of it, well, there are nearly 2 billion people in the countries listed, and large economies in Japan and South Korea, and a steadily growing economy in China.

For those saying hockey would not work there, consider the Asia League Ice Hockey, which is based in Japan and has teams in both South Korea and China. The Japanese teams are in fine shape, as is the Korean teams, but the Chinese aren't doing so well. But even so the league is able to attrack the occasional ex-fringe NHLer. That is to say that hockey is not foreign to the region, and with a "real" pro league there with better players and bigger names it could do wonders for hockey in the Far East.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:40 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The more international the better. I can't wait for nations like China, Korea, and Japan to edpand their hockey programs and begin to make an international impact. It's awesome to see kids coming from California, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona and Texas, too. Maybe Mexico, some day? I sure hope.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Tyrolean

I don't think the Asian countries have that much of a following in general for hockey. For example a vast country like China only has hockey in 1 or 2 Northern provinces. If you live in the south, they care more about basketball and soccer.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:11 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I don't think the Asian countries have that much of a following in general for hockey. For example a vast country like China only has hockey in 1 or 2 Northern provinces. If you live in the south, they care more about basketball and soccer.
Most of that is recent interest is it not? How many basketball fans were there in China before Yao Ming?

The NHL has talked for years about 'growing the game.' If there was ever a place to do it, Asia is it. Hockey as a whole benefited immensely due to the Soviet Union's decision to take up the sport and a similar effect could be had if in-roads could be made in China. Maybe the league could partner with the KHL in initiatives to build up the game there.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
One step closer to a universal hockey league...

Still, expanding the market to nations whose combined population is almost two billion...

Imagine the amount of talent that could be discovered if hockey took root as an established sport there.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:56 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Most of that is recent interest is it not? How many basketball fans were there in China before Yao Ming?

The NHL has talked for years about 'growing the game.' If there was ever a place to do it, Asia is it. Hockey as a whole benefited immensely due to the Soviet Union's decision to take up the sport and a similar effect could be had if in-roads could be made in China. Maybe the league could partner with the KHL in initiatives to build up the game there.
Chinese culture generally favors marketing and the appearance of success. Image is crucial, which in my opinion explains why so many actors can transition into the Chinese pop music industry even without much musical talent. Fans will follow celebrities who look successful.

If China produces an international hockey superstar, the number of hockey fans from there will soar at an incredible rate. One can imagine all the endorsement deals and the marketing of said player. At that point, perhaps the government will increase funding for hockey programs, and their talent pool will be able to grow with increased enrollment.

One path towards popularity in China is to produce one talented hockey player who can achieve international success.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 11-17-2012 at 07:07 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
To be honest I don't even want hockey to become more popular , when things get too popular everywhere everybody will have their thing to say and the game might change and it might destroy hockey altogether.I still can't believe they took out the red line , it's an attack on hockey.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:23 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post

The NHL is having a hard enough time right now partnering with it's players. I don't think they could handle any more partnering right now.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:55 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
To be honest I don't even want hockey to become more popular , when things get too popular everywhere everybody will have their thing to say and the game might change and it might destroy hockey altogether.I still can't believe they took out the red line , it's an attack on hockey.
Any growth for the sport of hockey is a wonderful thing. Soccer is a global sport and the integrity of the game has remained in tact after all of these years.

You're afraid of change.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:21 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Team in Beijing? Sweet!

Fun fact of the day: the local beer league once beat the Mongolian national team

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Kloparren
Hth

But what about the cost of jet fuel!!!!

I think a team in Japan is possible, seems like a country that can go at winter sports.

The NHL has done a terrible job of marketing itself in non-traditional markets. I know Australia for example has developed a bit of a cult hockey following and the NHL hasn't capitalized on it at all.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

How many do not know the history of the AIHL (Asian Ice Hockey League)?

They HAVE teams in Japan, S Korea, and (last I heard) China.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:03 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

The bandwagoners the more popularity the more we have to deal with the "Kobe is the sickest" fans. It's great but I like the way things are but hey who knows

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:04 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Any growth for the sport of hockey is a wonderful thing. Soccer is a global sport and the integrity of the game has remained in tact after all of these years.

You're afraid of change.
FIFA is one of the most corrupt sporting organizations in the world (i.e. Qatar) and there's rampant corruption in many soccer leagues (Juventus, many of the smaller national domestic leagues, etc.), so I think there is an affect on integrity. It happens in all professional sports, but when there is more money involved, there is more corruption.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
But what about the cost of jet fuel!!!!

I think a team in Japan is possible, seems like a country that can go at winter sports.

The NHL has done a terrible job of marketing itself in non-traditional markets. I know Australia for example has developed a bit of a cult hockey following and the NHL hasn't capitalized on it at all.
It's kind of hard to market yourself in an area that's more than a few hours behind. You couldn't really put a team there because the travel would be a pain in the ass for that team, so you would have to either have it where the team goes on the road in NA for awhile and then the NA teams tour there OR set up a whole division in the country.

Even the latter would still be a pain if you have them staying almost completely in their division.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:54 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Wouldn't be surprised. Would have to imagine that the idea of having teams in a few Chinese, Korean, and Japanese markets would be very attractive to the KHL. Even if they're barely followed on a proportional sense by the general population, would have to think that Tokyo and Seoul and Beijing and Shanghai would have a fairly easy time finding a niche market and putting 5,000-10,000 butts in the seat per game.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:22 PM
saffronleaf

I see the potential and I hope that the KHL goes ahead with something like this.

For some reason, though, China doesn't seem to have taken to hockey like South Korea and Japan. I'm not saying that South Korea and Japan are hotbeds for hockey, but they do get winters, they do have national hockey teams, and they have teams in the Asian Ice Hockey League. China's participation in the Asian Ice Hockey League has waned.

Still, that shouldn't deter the KHL from pursuing this strategy. In the global picture, China is the big fish to fry for hockey because of its massive population. But in the hockey world, the populations of Japan (126 million) and South Korea (50 million) are substantial.

So maybe I would alter the strategy a bit to focus on establishing hockey markets in Japan and South Korea before venturing into China. That alone will be a massive undertaking, and I'm doubtful whether or not the KHL has the business acumen and marketing capabilities to make inroads into those markets. But if any Asian markets are to become good hockey markets, it is Japan and South Korea. But there will need to be grassroots efforts like putting in more ice rinks, providing subsidized equipment to kids, in addition to top-down efforts like marketing, on-ice success for the pro team, etc.

The NHL failed at doing that in some of their expansion markets (though, there have been successes like Dallas, Nashville & San Jose, where they did have some grassroots efforts combined with good top-down strategies). Will the KHL succeed? I hope. It would be great to have more countries participating in hockey and to see the game grow.

Obviously, I hope this doesn't come at the expense of expanding westward. There are at least two countries that need to become serious hockey hotbeds; Norway and Switzerland. They are at the cusp of becoming hockey hotbeds.

Denmark is not quite at the same level as Norway and Switzerland, but it is also a market that has come far along and can be transformed into a hockey hotbed.

The big fish to fry in the West is Germany. The potential is there, and the rewards would be massive for hockey.

The Baltic states, of Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania can be great hockey markets. Latvia has already become one. I know Lithuania is interested in basketball, but there's no reason it shouldn't have interest for two sports. I think with the Baltic states, it might be helpful for the IIHF to organize them as one national team in international hockey. The countries are too small to effectively participate in international hockey, and success there can bring a lot of popularity to the sport. This is not unheard of. In cricket, for example, the ICC organizes the West Indies as one national team. The West Indies (one of the best national cricket teams in the world, btw) is composed of ten countries, the biggest ones being Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, and Guyana.

Central Europe also has some potential. By Central Europe, I mean Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria & Hungary. Obviously the former two are already established hockey markets, but the latter two have not yet become such markets...

Anyways, I would hope that by 2020 that at least Switzerland, Denmark, and Norway become full fledged hockey markets that regularly compete for medals in international competitions and contribute players to the KHL and NHL.

Last edited by saffronleaf: 11-17-2012 at 05:31 PM.
saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:41 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Team in Beijing? Sweet!

Fun fact of the day: the local beer league once beat the Mongolian national team
They need to put a team down in Ulaanbaatar!

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Very cool idea.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:15 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Wouldn't it be better if they tried propping up the ALIH first? Travel would be a serious nightmare, I'd imagine, and would they get enough interest/sponsorship to justify KHL wages?

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:27 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Hockey is a great game, why wouldn't it be successful... in Asia?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:09 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Wouldn't it be better if they tried propping up the ALIH first? Travel would be a serious nightmare, I'd imagine, and would they get enough interest/sponsorship to justify KHL wages?
They already have a team on the Chinese border, Amur Khabarovsk. The closest city is Novokuznetsk, which is something like a 6 hour flight away. I think the KHL wants to alieviate that, especially because Khabarovsk is one of the strongest supported teams. Vladivostok is an obvious choice, but the real markets lie in the Asian nations. There just simply isn't enough population in the Russian Far East to maintain a whole division.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:41 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
FIFA is one of the most corrupt sporting organizations in the world (i.e. Qatar) and there's rampant corruption in many soccer leagues (Juventus, many of the smaller national domestic leagues, etc.), so I think there is an affect on integrity. It happens in all professional sports, but when there is more money involved, there is more corruption.
Yup. Soccer has as much integrity as the Olympics. The numerous betting scandals, the teams that arm hooligans to attack their opponents fans, the violence, the ridiculous diving.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
It's a nice idea and all. But after awhile you get sick of hearing grandiose Russian "BS".

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:05 PM
nabbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post

The Baltic states, of Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania can be great hockey markets. Latvia has already become one. I know Lithuania is interested in basketball, but there's no reason it shouldn't have interest for two sports. I think with the Baltic states, it might be helpful for the IIHF to organize them as one national team in international hockey. The countries are too small to effectively participate in international hockey, and success there can bring a lot of popularity to the sport.

No way. I've lived in Latvia and can tell you absolutely nobody there would go for a combined 'Baltic Team'. Hockey is not at all popular in the Baltics besides in Latvia and some of the areas around Vilnius, notably Elektrenai, Lithuania. But the fact that Latvia has their own teams is such a great sense of pride for the people that there is no sense in combining them, besides, all the players would be Latvian anyway except for the addition of Zubrus.

nabbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote