HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Defensive help to Ottawa

Old
11-15-2012, 07:57 AM
TOGuy14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Really wish Schultz would of came to Ottawa. He is absolutely ripping it up right now
He is definitely playing very good right now, but he is also playing with RNH, Eberle and Hall, so let's not anoint him yet. The Barrons are probably the most stacked team in the AHL this year in terms of star power.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
Bogosian would be the absolute perfect fit.
For us too.....

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:37 PM
trentmccleary

Ottawa needs an offensive, right D-man to replace Gonchar next year. If Murray wants to add a top-4 D-man this season to fix any depth issues, that's the player he should be adding.

Cowen can be replaced internally for now. Phillips was in the top-4 for the majority of last season and into the playoffs, not Cowen. Methot played over 20 minutes a game for Clb last season. We should do just fine with them on the left side, though the competition between the 3 would have been best.

Regin as a shutdown center? Don't see it. He isn't physically imposing enough or good enough on face-offs.
I agree that Regin is an extremely smart player who will help with puck possession, but that will mostly be on the offensive side of the ice. He's smart and talented enough to play LW on a 2nd line and backup the offensive center slots. Also, after watching him get on scorching hot streaks in limited time with Spezza and Kovalev; I get the impression that he could have a big career season with a star (ala; Bonk, White, Horcoff, Morrison, Rucchin, etc).

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

I'd love Ottawa to pick up Smid via free agency at the start of summer. Do Edmonton fans expect him to be resigned? What sort of contract would he be looking at?

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbrow View Post
I'd love Ottawa to pick up Smid via free agency at the start of summer. Do Edmonton fans expect him to be resigned? What sort of contract would he be looking at?
He's their number 1.... he won't be going anywhere.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
He's their number 1.... he won't be going anywhere.
That's too bad.

Plan B: D. Murray?

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
With glut of defenders signed by Hawks I think a Hammer to Ottawa makes sense

Problem is what can Ottawa offer that improves Hawks? And Ben Bishop is not an option (Hawks aren't trading for Bishop anything of value)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Craig Anderson for Niklas Hjarmlsson

Lehner is going to get the chance to be the Sens #1 Goalie, it's only a matter of time.

And if it doesn't work out, the Sens get a good draft pick in a deep draft, where half the season was written off anyways.
Unless Crawford magically disappears the Hawks aren't going to acquire another expensive goalie signed for as long as Anderson is

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Unless Crawford magically disappears the Hawks aren't going to acquire another expensive goalie
3.187M a season for a solid #1 is expensive?

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
3.187M a season for a solid #1 is expensive?
It is when you have a goalie already under contract for 2.67M thru 13-14 season

Old
11-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
That is also an inexpensive contract.

Trading Hjalmarsson for Anderson actually saves the Hawks money, as Hjalmarsson makes 3.5M while Anderson gets 3.187M.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
That is also an inexpensive contract.

Trading Hjalmarsson for Anderson actually saves the Hawks money, as Hjalmarsson makes 3.5M while Anderson gets 3.187M.
And that savings is too little to matter

The fact is you cant have 2 goalies making that much both signed beyond this year

Old
11-17-2012, 08:36 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
I'm playing Devils Advocate here, because under almost no circumstances do I want to deal Anderson to you guys, but:

$3.187 + $2.67 = $5.857.

$5.857 would be in the bottom 1/3rd of all Goalie combos (combined starter + backup salaries) in the league. Hardly expensive, all things considered.

... you still can't have Anderson, though.

*EDIT*
I was half right: $5.857 would put them exactly 15th in the league in combined salary. Right in the middle. Whether it is "too expensive" or not is open to debate.

Teams with goalie combos who earn less than $5.857:
- Anaheim, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Florida (obviously), LA (not for long, though), Ottawa, Phoenix, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Washington, Winnipeg.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 11-17-2012 at 08:47 PM.
BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:51 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I'd rather move a prospect if possible to Chicago for Hjalmmer.
Don't expect to get any of Zibanejad/Silfverberg/Stone/Lehner, of course, but what about:

Matt Puempel
for
Hjalmarsson + a mid round pick?

Hawks get a 1st round guy with a real scoring touch, we get the defenceman we need?

... I included a mid round pick because that seems to be a common theme on the trades board. Everyone adds "a 4th rounder" to everything, but seeing as how I'm not a greedy guy, I'll settle for a 5th.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I'm playing Devils Advocate here, because under almost no circumstances do I want to deal Anderson to you guys, but:

$3.187 + $2.67 = $5.857.

$5.857 would be in the bottom 1/3rd of all Goalie combos (combined starter + backup salaries) in the league. Hardly expensive, all things considered.

... you still can't have Anderson, though.

*EDIT*
I was half right: $5.857 would put them exactly 15th in the league in combined salary. Right in the middle. Whether it is "too expensive" or not is open to debate.

Teams with goalie combos who earn less than $5.857:
- Anaheim, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Florida (obviously), LA (not for long, though), Ottawa, Phoenix, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Washington, Winnipeg.
Hawks have terrible contracts like Olesz/Montador to deal with... Cant afford 5.8M on goaltending (None of which is close to elite)

Quote:
I'd rather move a prospect if possible to Chicago for Hjalmmer.
Don't expect to get any of Zibanejad/Silfverberg/Stone/Lehner, of course, but what about:

Matt Puempel
for
Hjalmarsson + a mid round pick?

Hawks get a 1st round guy with a real scoring touch, we get the defenceman we need?

... I included a mid round pick because that seems to be a common theme on the trades board. Everyone adds "a 4th rounder" to everything, but seeing as how I'm not a greedy guy, I'll settle for a 5th.
So Hawks get a prospect who is gonna be hit or miss and give up a pick while giving up a NHL top 4 dman?

Old
11-17-2012, 09:19 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Hawks have terrible contracts like Olesz/Montador to deal with... Cant afford 5.8M on goaltending (None of which is close to elite)
Yeah, that's why I said it was "open to debate". It's not really "too expensive" in general, but on a team-by-team basis, depending on the existing cap structure, it could be.

Though, if it is too expensive, like you said, it's due to other factors: bad contracts elsewhere, etc...

Quote:
So Hawks get a prospect who is gonna be hit or miss and give up a pick while giving up a NHL top 4 dman?
What, you want a sure-thing prospect who can't miss? In today's NHL, those are worth WAY more than one Nick Hjalmarsson. That's the price of trading for prospects. If you're not comfortable with it, that's fine, but just say "we don't want any prospects coming back".

Old
11-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
New Jersey do need a Forward

Which Forwards would be expandable ??

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:29 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
New Jersey do need a Forward

Which Forwards would be expandable ??
Depends entirely on the defenceman being offered.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Depends entirely on the defenceman being offered.
Tallinder / Volchenkov

Would prefer trading Tallinder, but I know the Ottawa fans love Volch

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:07 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Tallinder / Volchenkov

Would prefer trading Tallinder, but I know the Ottawa fans love Volch
Well that's good, because I like Tallinder's contract one HELL of a lot more than I like Volchenkov's. I mean, if we'd wanted to keep Volch at that price, we would have.

In any case, if you're looking for an NHL-ready forward off our roster, you might be disappointed. I think if the Sens are going to make a move for a defenceman, we'll be dealing from our position of strength: prospects. We're not exactly deep at the moment... I could see us offering a guy like Condra, or Regin. Obviously we'd offer a guy like Daugavins, but you don't want him... wait: you guys signed Butler, who is worse than Daug... Maybe you DO want him? Even if you do want him, Tallinder > Daugavins. Obviously.

I might do a depth guy + a mid-tier prospect? That's the thing: we're not in any position to deal a top-9 forward, as we're probably just as shallow as you guys in the top 9. We have a RIDICULOUS number of 4th line players, though.

So unless you're looking for "futures" (in which case, we're one of the deepest teams in the league), I don't see a fit.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:17 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbrow View Post
He's our best pure shutdown guy so I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to get him signed long term.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:12 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Quote:
Well that's good, because I like Tallinder's contract one HELL of a lot more than I like Volchenkov's. I mean, if we'd wanted to keep Volch at that price, we would have.

In any case, if you're looking for an NHL-ready forward off our roster, you might be disappointed. I think if the Sens are going to make a move for a defenceman, we'll be dealing from our position of strength: prospects. We're not exactly deep at the moment... I could see us offering a guy like Condra, or Regin. Obviously we'd offer a guy like Daugavins, but you don't want him... wait: you guys signed Butler, who is worse than Daug... Maybe you DO want him? Even if you do want him, Tallinder > Daugavins. Obviously.

I might do a depth guy + a mid-tier prospect? That's the thing: we're not in any position to deal a top-9 forward, as we're probably just as shallow as you guys in the top 9. We have a RIDICULOUS number of 4th line players, though.

So unless you're looking for "futures" (in which case, we're one of the deepest teams in the league), I don't see a fit.
Basically, you guys traded your "extra" forward for D, already. Murray saw Foligno as expendable, yet valuable enough to get a useful player in Methot. Hard to do the same move again, now.

11-17-2012, 11:30 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Basically, you guys traded your "extra" forward for D, already. Murray saw Foligno as expendable, yet valuable enough to get a useful player in Methot. Hard to do the same move again, now.
Pretty much this, exactly.

We can move a depth-depth guy, but not really anything else.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:16 AM
JayP812
The Fin is In

vCash: 401
Would the Sens be interested in Douglass Murray? The Sharks would be willing to throw in a conditional pick with Ottawa getting it if Murray doesn't re-sign.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:22 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Would the Sens be interested in Douglass Murray? The Sharks would be willing to throw in a conditional pick with Ottawa getting it if Murray doesn't re-sign.
I don't see why we wouldn't be interested.

Again, Sens are probably moving a prospect or pick for him, not a roster player.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Robidas for a 2nd?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote