HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Kreider (Now ranked #11 overall by HF)

Old
10-22-2012, 08:17 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
I would HIGHLY doubt that the Rangers will have (4) players make the next Olympic USA Team. Kreider is hopefully going to be a good player but he will not beat out Pominville, Zajac, Stastny, Backes, Oshie, Kane, Parise, Kesler, Callahan, Kessel, Brown, Pacioretty.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would HIGHLY doubt that the Rangers will have (4) players make the next Olympic USA Team. Kreider is hopefully going to be a good player but he will not beat out Pominville, Zajac, Stastny, Backes, Oshie, Kane, Parise, Kesler, Callahan, Kessel, Brown, Pacioretty.
If he has another year of progression and a good first half of the following season (assuming we play hockey between now and then), I think Stepan could get the nod ahead of Stastny. Kreider, however, I think is a long shot unless he dominates.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:46 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If he has another year of progression and a good first half of the following season (assuming we play hockey between now and then), I think Stepan could get the nod ahead of Stastny. Kreider, however, I think is a long shot unless he dominates.
Agreed on Stepan. The difference with Kreider is that he is really not that great defensively like Callahan was a couple of years ago. It's possible he will dramatically improve but I doubt it for this time around.

McDonagh and Callahan should be locks barring injury.

Gaborik, Nash, Hank should be locks.

Staal, Girardi, Richards, Stepan should get looks from their respective countries.

Last edited by NYR Viper: 10-22-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old
10-22-2012, 10:41 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
As regards Nash and Krieder--I have personally never understood why people place so much importance on prospects having superstars to learn from as, generally speaking, most professional sports franchises have at least one truly elite player on their rosters at all times but this rarely translates to young players appropriating their skill sets.

And, to be quite honest, I'm not really sure how Nash's game really applies to Chris Krieder's. This may be my own ignorance of Nash's career to date, but they seem like totally different players to me.

Coaching--that's what generally tends to be critical in the development of young talent across all the major professional sports. Torts does seem to have a way to maximize talent for young players so that is something to be excited about.
In 8 years, would you rather have Kreider act like Nash, or act like Avery?

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 11:36 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Craig Custance on Chris Kreider

Quote:
And it's not just the Rangers who see star potential in the speedy forward. A well-respected NHL scouting director loves Kreider's skill set.

"I like what everyone likes -- the whole [package] of size and skating, the speed he has going down the rink," he said. "The way he attacks the net, especially that shot. He was really successful at Boston College with it."
Quote:
Kreider's raw skills alone make it hard to imagine him not finding consistent work in the NHL. The scout suggested that, at worst, he's a player who will find regular time among the top nine forwards.

"It's possible he [levels] at a top nine forward," he said. "With the size and speed and shot, if he can max that out to 30-goals a year, he's going to be a hell of a player. He's just so big and so fast, those kind of players are hard to defend. You mix that shot with the power going down the wing, it's just so hard to defend."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...-chris-kreider

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
68Forever

6 assists in 11 games is his passing coming along or are they mainly secondary assists?

68Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Forever View Post
6 assists in 11 games is his passing coming along or are they mainly secondary assists?
1 goal in 11 AHL games. Obviously hes becoming a playmaker. Until he does something else and we can continue to redefine him.

I think the popular excuse will be that hes bored or something.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:54 AM
NYR Viper

I think it has a lot to do with the players around him. He has never been the type of player who is able to make the players around him a lot better with his passing and vision. He needs good players playing with him to bring out his talents. He thrives when he doesn't have to carry the puck.

On the Whale right now, that isn't happening.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
IMO, AHL is too easy for him and it's hard to get motivated when you started your pro career right in must-win playoff games. Look at Hall/RNH/Eberle's numbers, same syndrome.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
IMO, AHL is too easy for him and it's hard to get motivated when you started your pro career right in must-win playoff games. Look at Hall/RNH/Eberle's numbers, same syndrome.
The AHL is too easy for him?
This isn't Sidney Crosby, this is a guy who had trouble producing in college also until his last year. He has a long way to go . Lots of raw ability, but his hockey sense and consistency have been questioned in previous scouting reports. It's likely those limitations and not boredom that has him where he is now.

I loved what I saw in the playoffs, but penciling in as a Top 6 forward would score 25 goals was and is incredibly premature.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
The AHL is too easy for him?
This isn't Sidney Crosby, this is a guy who had trouble producing in college also until his last year. He has a long way to go . Lots of raw ability, but his hockey sense and consistency have been questioned in previous scouting reports. It's likely those limitations and not boredom that has him where he is now.

I loved what I saw in the playoffs, but penciling in as a Top 6 forward would score 25 goals was and is incredibly premature.
Agreed. And to take it a step further, I loved what I saw in the playoffs when it came to his forechecking ability, his shot, and most of his play in the offensive zone. I thought his work in the neutral and defensive zones was unstable to downright bad at times. All to be expected.

But the notion that hes bored, or the AHL is below him is laughable. Hes got a ton to learn. And if he cant dominate the AHL right now, nobody has any right labeling him a star in the making, which many have done on this board.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:22 AM
ohbaby

How many times has he played for team USA internationally? They know all about him. They have been preparing him for the Olympics. He's a given in '14.

I grew up with a friend who was a born athlete. No matter what sport, he became the best. Mostly due to his quickness, more so than speed. And his dedication to be the best. CK reminds me of him. I get the feeling this kid can do anything he puts his mind to. Right now he's still in school and having fun. Just wait when he comes back up. Our jaws are going to drop, just like the brief glimpse we got in the playoffs. There's not going to be a game he's not noticable.

From blueshirt united.... http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/20...s#.UKVu_IatbLZ

Last edited by ohbaby: 11-16-2012 at 01:15 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed. And to take it a step further, I loved what I saw in the playoffs when it came to his forechecking ability, his shot, and most of his play in the offensive zone. I thought his work in the neutral and defensive zones was unstable to downright bad at times. All to be expected.

But the notion that hes bored, or the AHL is below him is laughable. Hes got a ton to learn. And if he cant dominate the AHL right now, nobody has any right labeling him a star in the making, which many have done on this board.
i dunno, just expect him to dominate the AHL right after playing college, even with his playoff run? I didn't expect it. Especially with the level of talent hes playing with, and against. Isnt Taylor Hall playing in the A this year? I havent really been paying attention, but that should tell ya what the A is like this season. Its not a typical season.

i do like seeing his penalty minutes being way up...assuming its not all clutch and grab penalties...if hes taking aggression penalties, thats a HUGE sign to me. The guy is finally realizing his size and using it to his advantage.

I always had Kreider penciled in with either Nash or Gaborik on his other wing side. to make things easier on him. put Stepan, Gaborik and Kreider together, or Richards Kreider and Nash. play him with guys who are going to take the pressure off of him and let him be a supplementary player on that line. He's face enough and talented enough to play with those guys and not hurt them.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
If Kreider can't motivate himself to be the best in any circumstance, then he will never play up to the level you expect him to play. Part of being a professional is to do your best, regardless.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i do like seeing his penalty minutes being way up...assuming its not all clutch and grab penalties...if hes taking aggression penalties, thats a HUGE sign to me. The guy is finally realizing his size and using it to his advantage.
How can you suggest it's potentially a 'huge sign' and that he's realizing his size and using it to his advantage without knowing exactly how those penalty minutes were accrued????

He took 4 minor penalties in one game in which the Whale lost and in another game he got a 5 minute major for boarding and a 10 minute game misconduct.

Show me a player who's consistently throwing clean, hard checks and not taking needless penalties and then I'll be impressed.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
How can you suggest it's potentially a 'huge sign' and that he's realizing his size and using it to his advantage without knowing exactly how those penalty minutes were accrued????

He took 4 minor penalties in one game in which the Whale lost and in another game he got a 5 minute major for boarding and a 10 minute game misconduct.

Show me a player who's consistently throwing clean, hard checks and not taking needless penalties and then I'll be impressed.
Honestly, the AHL is full of penalties. Players are learning the game, players are fighting to get to the NHL, AHL teams have traditional rivalries just like any other league. I once saw an AHL game where the 1st period was as good as any NHL playoff game was (ending in a 0-0 tie), the 2nd period had 11 goals scored (8-3 after two) and the 3rd period was something out of Slap Shot.

Kreider will be just fine.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Honestly, the AHL is full of penalties. Players are learning the game, players are fighting to get to the NHL, AHL teams have traditional rivalries just like any other league. I once saw an AHL game where the 1st period was as good as any NHL playoff game was (ending in a 0-0 tie), the 2nd period had 11 goals scored (8-3 after two) and the 3rd period was something out of Slap Shot.

Kreider will be just fine.
I'm not insinuating that he won't be fine, just adding some perspective to the commentary that he 'could' be learning to use his size better based on his accumulation of penalty minutes (15 of which came from a dangerous hit).

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Only a matter of time til he explodes.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Cresto
Much .500

It's all in the learning. Whether he's doing well or not, it's all learning at the end of the day. He is the player that he is and how he adapts and learns some critically important things before the start of his NHL career is merely a process. I know this may sound too big picture and even ignorant of a few struggles he's had. I said a few months ago that his struggling in the AHL will be better than pure domination. Gain experience, work on a few things and when the time comes, I'm sure BR, Cally, Nash etc. will take him under their wing and help him with thinking about his game. A lot of younger players have the talent and size but struggles to deliver on the score sheet and CK is no different I suppose.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:55 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
It's all in the learning. Whether he's doing well or not, it's all learning at the end of the day. He is the player that he is and how he adapts and learns some critically important things before the start of his NHL career is merely a process. I know this may sound too big picture and even ignorant of a few struggles he's had. I said a few months ago that his struggling in the AHL will be better than pure domination. Gain experience, work on a few things and when the time comes, I'm sure BR, Cally, Nash etc. will take him under their wing and help him with thinking about his game. A lot of younger players have the talent and size but struggles to deliver on the score sheet and CK is no different I suppose.
Great post. Kreider is being developed just about the perfect way for a prospect to be brought up. He played a few years in college, had a few cups of coffee in the playoffs learning from true veterans and professionals such as Richards and Callahan and now is in the AHL to round out his game. When he makes it back to the NHL he wont have the pressure to be the "man" on this team as this team is littered with stars and professionals such as Nash, Richards, Gaborik, Callahan and etc. It is an almost impossible situation for Kreider to fail.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 03:44 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I wanna know where the know it alls who claimed Kreider didn't have puck sense or wouldn't amount to much of anything are now ?

trolling elsewhere perhaps

LGR

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
2/3 of that list is unbeatable but there are some holes there... Maybe we can piss off Oshie again like we did last time with the Cally/Drury combo

His speed and size used right with that release has game changing impact in every game.

Old
11-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Cresto
Much .500

Back to back to back games this weekend!