HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 08:14 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocity View Post
Sounds good. Gonna have to look for it. Glad it's not overly sweet.

I will vouch for Rogue Santa's Private Reserve as well. One of my favorite winter/holiday beers. If I didn't have a case of Great Lakes Xmas Ale and Mad Elf, I would be getting that as well.
It smells like maple syrup (but is not syrupy whatsoever), which is why I think a few people have felt it is too sweet, but to me it is nice and balanced/mellow. Would be an amazing sipper by the fire, for sure.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 11-17-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 08:33 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Anyone ever order from HalfTimeBeverage.com? Looks like they've got a free shipping offer going for orders over $100. I don't think I can ship to my state, but might ship it to a family member's house out of state and pick it up at Christmas. It'd be a great way to get some beer that isn't available here (Troegs, DogFish Head, etc).

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 11-17-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
Anyone ever try Rogue? Had a Dead Guy Ale and a Brutal IPA. Pretty tasty stuff out of Oregon.
Rogue is awesome...as long as you stay away from their shock value beers.

I really need to find a place that sells Deschutes around here. I'm sitting on a six pack of Jubelale (well...4 of them now), which is phenomenal this year.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-17-2012, 09:00 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Rogue is awesome...as long as you stay away from their shock value beers.

I really need to find a place that sells Deschutes around here. I'm sitting on a six pack of Jubelale (well...4 of them now), which is phenomenal this year.
So you're telling me Voodoo Doughnut is no good? I was considering trying that the other week.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Beer shouldn't be salty. Just sayin'.

Their gimmick beers are more overpriced than they are bad, really. Like they have a pumpkin ale this year that's pretty average (I don't care for pumpkin beers and I don't care for their's any more or less than the others)...but it's $16 for a bomber, where most of the 'great' ones are closer to $9. You're basically paying $7 for an orange bottle.

When Rogue is serious about making beer they're one of the best breweries in the country...but you can't charge a premium price for oddities.

On the bright side the only reason Voodoo Doughnut is so easy to find is because they drastically over-estimated how many people would want to drink bacon-flavored beer.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:03 PM
crane

Yeah I like beer that tastes like beer. don't eat meat anyway so ill stay away from bacon flavored beer haha.

Bought another Rogue Brutal IPA and a 6 of Sierra Celebration Ale. Sierra is pretty tasty right now.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:07 PM
dogthateats

I still haven't seen celebration on the shelves anywhere here this year.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
On the bright side the only reason Voodoo Doughnut is so easy to find is because they drastically over-estimated how many people would want to drink bacon-flavored beer.
Bacon maple-flavored beer.

I haven't met one person that likes it. I almost tried when I was at the brewery a few months ago, but common sense got the better of me.

The Double Mountain holiday beer is pretty decent. I'm enjoying that right now.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Bacon and maple are two of my favorite things on the planet...but together they're awful. Together as beer...just no. A maple flavored beer alone...I could see that being interesting enough to potentially be decent, though probably way too sweet...but it's the bacon flavor that brings salt into the picture and salty beer is just a sin.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
picked up the Anchor Christmas Ale. i'll give it a whirl later tonight.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Mr. T

Sleigh'r, Jubelale, Abominale, Ill Tempered Gnome, The Abyss, Doggie Claws, Santa's Private Reserve, Wreck the Halls, Figgy Pudding...

How my vital organs remain intact after winter beer season is truly a medical marvel.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
picked up the Anchor Christmas Ale. i'll give it a whirl later tonight.
just had two of these. all in all, it's pretty tasty but not as good as previous years. they use a different recipe every year and this year it looks like they've traded traditional spices for dried fruit flavors. you can still taste the nutmeg and anise but this year's brew is far sweeter than in years past.

still, gotta support the hometown brew.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:39 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Bacon and maple are two of my favorite things on the planet...but together they're awful. Together as beer...just no. A maple flavored beer alone...I could see that being interesting enough to potentially be decent, though probably way too sweet...but it's the bacon flavor that brings salt into the picture and salty beer is just a sin.
Tommyknocker makes a maple nut brown ale, pretty decent. They don't overdo the maple.

To add to this, Sam Adams is putting out a Maple Pecan Porter, presumably in the Spring pack.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 11-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 05:51 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Did a monthly run today, pre-thanksgiving, looking for some gift packs and winter brews. Store was loaded with everything on my list so I was having to pick and choose...lol. I had about 5 more things in the cart, but didn't want to blow over 2 bills on the trip.

4pk of Delirium Nol

St. Bernardus 6pk + 2 small glasses Gift Pack
-Prior 8
-Abt 12
-Tripel

St. Bernardus 4pk + 1 large glass Gift Pack
-Pater 6
-Prior 8
-Abt 12
-Tripel

2 St. Bernardus Christmas Ale bottles

1 Lukcy Basartd bottle

6pk Deschutes Jubelale

6pk of Big Sky Trout Slayer

Case of Sam Adams Winter Classics Pack
-White Christmas
-Old Fezziwig Ale
-Holiday Porter
-Winter Lager
-Chocolate Bock
-Boston Lager

Oh, and a 750 of Crown Royal Maple

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 11-21-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Not precisely beer but I have another recommendation for food enhancement (since beer is a food enhancer). If you guys like some good spicy BBQ, I picked up a few jars of this stuff in TN called "Mountain Q" sauce. They have all kinds of flavors but I bought the Chipotle Medium and it's damn good. Just enough heat to make you want to take a drink of beer, but not so much that your nostrils will drip on your food.

I'm sure they have a web site somewhere and they've got about 8 varieties of sauce, so check 'em out.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:53 PM
dogthateats

Has anyone tried Great Lakes Blackout Stout? I'm going to try to find some this week, sounds awesome.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Oh yeah!

Old
12-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Mr. T

Picked up some Doggie Claws last night. That's some darn good barley wine.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Cracked open a 2004 Dogfish World Wide Stout last night after the Steelers game. Dark, dark, dark. Probably darker than low grade motor oil after 20,000 miles. Lots of chocolate going on, hints of vanilla, coffee, caramel, with a very faint taste of hops. Tried to enjoy it too long and those last two sips were brutal. Not something you want to do with a beer in the 18-20% range.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:57 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post

Oh yeah!
What the heck is that? It looks like bacon sitting in a shot of milk.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
What the heck is that? It looks like bacon sitting in a shot of milk.
It's called a Lumberjack shot. Not sure exactly what's all in it, but it tastes like a pancake with maple syrup and then you chase it with the piece of bacon. It's quite glorious.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:15 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Any of y'all ever heard of Foundry Golden Cider??? It's some new alcoholic apple cider thing made by Guinness IIRC. It should be on the market in Canada soon.

I didn't know of it until last night. My fiancee and I went out to our favourite Irish pub last night who were having their "1 year since we first opened" party. There was food, prizes, booze and free samples of drinks and "soon to be on the menu" items. They offered the cider for sale but seeing as my fiancee doesn't drink and I'm not much of a cider person we declined. Anywho as luck would have it, my fiancee and I both won prizes. We won these really nice frosted Foundry branded beer glasses and Foundry cider t-shirts. It's a shame the tshirts are a mustard yellow colour and too small for us.

Also I finally tried Hoegaarden on tap last night. T'was delicious. And they even had Guinness in these teensy weensy little sampler glasses. The cups were so adorable and small. The almost Mrs. wouldn't let me pocket one and take it home though. Although we did get a free gift when we left which was imperial pint sized Stella Artois branded glasses. I felt kinda bad though as I already have a small Stella glass from a giftpack.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Retrocity

I enjoy hard cider every once in a while. I like Woodchuck and recently tried Angry Orchard. The fall seasonal Woodchuck is very good. I had a Belgian style one at some point as well.

Has anybody around Pittsburgh tried anything from Arsenal Ciders in Lawrenceville yet? I saw Fathead's has them on tap but I didn't try it last time I was there.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:21 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Went for a small beer run at the liqour store today. I ended up getting some individual Guinness Draught cans as they were out of the eight-packs I usually get, a can of Harp Lager to try and a can of Mill Street Cobblestone Stout to try.

Also bit the bullet and bought this for $20.00

I figured why not?? As now I'll have Leffe and Hoegaarden glasses since I've wanted a Hoegaarden glass. Although now I will say that the number of Stella Artois glasses I have accumulated in the last 2 months is getting annoying.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

So last night I tried my can of Mill Street Cobblestone Stout. It has the little nitrogen widget thingie in the can like how the cans of Guinness Draught do. But yeah, I thought it was absolutely delicious and I will definately be buying more soon. It's about time I found a great beer from here in Canada.

I reccomend it for any of you here who are fans of stout beers.

Closed Thread