HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

N. Kadri discussion thread v12

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Kadri's shot is nice, his release is slow, that's the only problem.

Remember that goal he roofed over Miller's glove last year? The shot was dirty but he took his time with the release (though he had the space to do so).

he's become more of a pass first guy more so than doing it all by himself now.

11-17-2012, 08:28 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
A couple posters above mentioned that Kadri has average skating... but, while I was watching the game today on Sportsnet, it looked to me like Kadri is one of the slowest Marlies. Looked like it took him five strides to go from red line to blue line.
If he has good linemates he can move the puck faster, hold it less and eliminate the need to be speedy.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
11-17-2012, 08:31 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
he's become more of a pass first guy more so than doing it all by himself now.
Yes, this isn't junior, and he isn't playing against vastly inferior players so he has to use his mates more because it isn't easy at the AHL level and is even tougher in the NHL.

He could have had a couple goals the past 2 games with less bad luck. Remember Kulemin and Frattin last year with the Ping competition. Kadri's joined in.

Eakins is going to push him until he gives it every game.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:49 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan2010 View Post
He looks slower than 2 years ago. The rest of his game is more mature. Same thing happened with Stajan. You do not need to gain weight to get stronger-see Gilmore.
The league's gotten bigger and faster in those 2 decades, though.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:03 PM
oldfan2010

Gilmore stayed at 165 +-, and got stronger but stayed quick. Stajan gained weight and slowed down-became a tweener- not quite strong enough and not quite quick enough. I am worried that the same thing is happening to Kadri.

Last edited by oldfan2010: 11-17-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old
11-17-2012, 09:31 PM
TmlHockeyFan

So is four points a new record for Kadri? At least for the AHL.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Aplayaz2000

oh cut me a break... you dont need to be 200lbs to be an nhl player

how much does giroux weigh

Old
11-17-2012, 09:48 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan2010 View Post
Gilmore stayed at 165 +-, and got stronger but stayed quick. Stajan gained weight and slowed down-became a tweener- not quite strong enough and not quite quick enough. I am worried that the same thing is happening to Kadri.
Stajan strength or quickness has nothing to do with why he became a tweener.

Edit: Just for the record, there are currently 3 players who played in the NHL last season (out of 894) listed under 165 lbs.

Last edited by 4evaBlue: 11-17-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 09:52 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Stajan strength or quickness has nothing to do with why he became a tweener.
Well Stajan and Kadri did suffer similar problems.

Both had coaches who really didn't like them the past couple of seasons.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:57 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
oh cut me a break... you dont need to be 200lbs to be an nhl player

how much does giroux weigh
Kadri doesn't play the same style of game Giroux does, no idea why you would even compare their weights. He needs to play with a chip on his shoulder like he always has, and as a 170 pounder, he'd spend a lot of time on the ice.

Why not use Lucic as an example, they have about as much in common.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:08 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Kadri doesn't play the same style of game Giroux does, no idea why you would even compare their weights. He needs to play with a chip on his shoulder like he always has, and as a 170 pounder, he'd spend a lot of time on the ice.

Why not use Lucic as an example, they have about as much in common.
Enlighten me, what makes the style of game that Giroux plays so different than the one that Kadri plays? Other than the fact that Giroux clearly plays the game at a much higher and refined level.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:13 PM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
So is four points a new record for Kadri? At least for the AHL.
Nah, i think he got 4 last year in St. johns. He actually maybe scored a goal or two in that game too!

Old
11-17-2012, 10:16 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

I actually don't see how his skating is a problem. He doesn't look slow to me. Sometimes he does, but its not like he struggles to keep up with his linemates. Its not a big issue.

I think his play has matured over the past 2 seasons. He is making better decisions, recognizing danger, using his linemates more, all the while still flahing some dangles and maintaining his playmaking and passing talent. Isn't that what everyone wanted. He isn't a high risk player anymore, but he's still effective.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
A lot people need to realize that Kadri barely, IF EVER, skates as fast as he can.

It is simply not his style of play to try to beat a dman wide and power to the net. He is not built that way and it is not a strength. He plays to his strengths. His strengths are

-tremendous hands and 1 on 1 ability
-the ability to slow down the game....notice him on 2 on 1's or odd man rushes, his head is always up, always looking to make a play. He is the complete opposite of a north-south player

We all remember the 2010 World Juniors. Watch the winning goal by Carlson and then watch how much Kadri digs to get back into the play...he exhibits pretty good top speed there. With the puck though, it's a different story; it's simply not how he plays.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:24 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
A lot people need to realize that Kadri barely, IF EVER, skates as fast as he can.

It is simply not his style of play to try to beat a dman wide and power to the net. He is not built that way and it is not a strength. He plays to his strengths. His strengths are

-tremendous hands and 1 on 1 ability
-the ability to slow down the game....notice him on 2 on 1's or odd man rushes, his head is always up, always looking to make a play. He is the complete opposite of a north-south player

We all remember the 2010 World Juniors. Watch the winning goal by Carlson and then watch how much Kadri digs to get back into the play...he exhibits pretty good top speed there. With the puck though, it's a different story; it's simply not how he plays.
Exactly.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Kadri's top speed is actually very noticeable. He's an excellent skater, and has a GREAT burst when he needs to.

Kadri's game is very similar to Patrick Kane's, not the production(obviously) but they are very similar players at the core. That's actually one of the reason's I was very intrigued when I watched Hawks games last year because I wanted to see how Kane played at center. Kane is another amazing skater that has to slow down the game to fit his style.

The reason I can't compare Kadri's style to Giroux's is because Giroux has an ELITE shot, very underrated but a laser-beam nonetheless. Wish he used it more to be honest Giroux's game also reminds me more of a Forsberg type game, minus the beast mode balance that Forsberg had with the puck+getting mauled.

Last edited by Wolfgang Krauser: 11-17-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
Kadri's top speed is actually very noticeable. He's an excellent skater, and has a GREAT burst when he needs to.
I`ve never been concerned about his top speed.

The part of his skating that always concerns me is how he seems to be skating with his legs not bent enough with the puck which makes him easy to get knocked around. It was fine at the junior level cause he could always allude people cause he was just that much more skilled. But at the NHL level where he isn`t an elite talent he simply was getting knocked down to much. If he lowered his center of gravity and was able to absorb hits it would make a massive difference in his game.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I`ve never been concerned about his top speed.

The part of his skating that always concerns me is how he seems to be skating with his legs not bent enough with the puck which makes him easy to get knocked around. It was fine at the junior level cause he could always allude people cause he was just that much more skilled. But at the NHL level his he simply was getting knocked down to much. If he lowered his center of gravity and was able to absorb hits it would make a massive difference in his game.

That is why he trained with Roberts all summer. He looks stronger this year, and hardly gets knocked over as much as he used to IMO at least.

It's because Kadri has a quick burst and always keeps his feet moving when he's handling the puck that he draws so many penalties. He can draw penalties at any level.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

I really enjoy watching Kadri along the walls. He is really good at cycling and avoiding checks.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:57 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I really enjoy watching Kadri along the walls. He is really good at cycling and avoiding checks.

very well said, plus other parts have also improved, IMO he is ready for the show

I get excited everytime kadri is on the ice

Old
11-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
very well said, plus other parts have also improved, IMO he is ready for the show

Same here, I really like watching him play.

He's pretty entertaining to watch.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:00 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post

Recently he's earned some of that excitement.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:04 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

the amazing ralph with post of the week IMO [post 939]
as he said, kadri is fast when he doesn't hace the puck, top speed is great
when he has puck, he slows the game down, lets 2 men come to him, than makes a great pass to an open man. kadri will never beat a guy by his speed when with the puck. that is not his game. though his skating style looks lazy, but that is how he plays, you could even say he doesn't make much of an effort on skating, he never tries because that is not his way,
slows play down, looking to make a play
elite playmaking ability, underrated shot [too slow to get it off though]
love the drive of this kid, with this kid on the ice, very high chance he draws a penalty, plus people need to keep their head up because he will throw a huge hit from time to time
kadri has great board work which is good since he is small, plus more stronger, isn't falling as much as before
though I do want goals too now which will come if he keeps it up
we are with you nazem, go get em kid

Old
11-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
[/B]

That is why he trained with Roberts all summer. He looks stronger this year, and hardly gets knocked over as much as he used to IMO at least.

It's because Kadri has a quick burst and always keeps his feet moving when he's handling the puck that he draws so many penalties. He can draw penalties at any level.
I think it was more a technique issue then a strength issue. Lots of small players are very powerful on their skates because they keep their center of gravity low, knees bent and body edged a bit forward like their not only ready for contact but ready to run the guy over who is going to try and make contact with him (think exactly the skating technique Frattin uses).

In all fairness to Kadri I can`t judge his progress from last season very well as I`ve only watched him once this year because they don`t broadcast the Marlies games in my region (unless I ordered the NHL package). He looked amazing today but it was only 1 game so I`m not rushing to any conclusions.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Last year Kadri drew 1.6 penalties per game with the Leafs

Interestingly enough as well, the Leafs goaltenders' save percentage when Kadri was on the ice was .938. Only Phillippe Dupuis is higher in this category. Now obviously Kadri does not play net, but it stands to reason that if he was such a defensive liability, his effect on his goaltenders save % would be worse, not almost the best on the team...

Closed Thread