HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NCAA Football Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 11:30 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

vCash: 500
I'll take Austin easily.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:32 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Probably about 10
Which is a joke. Oregon gets ranked top 5 every year for beating up bums in the Pac, but Rutgers doesn't get respect for beating bums in the Big East.

Oregon couldn't beat Boise State. Pretty sure they lost 2 or 3 years in a row. But people continue to overrated Oregon every year because their offense score 1000 points even if their D gives up 950

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:40 PM
apice3*

If the Jets take Tavon Austin with their first rounder, they should just fold their franchise.

He's a projected late first/second rounder and I'd be concerned about his height.Plus honestly, WR is probably their strongest positions with Kerley and Holmes, and with other WR's constantly hitting the FA market/trade block.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Which is a joke. Oregon gets ranked top 5 every year for beating up bums in the Pac, but Rutgers doesn't get respect for beating bums in the Big East.

Oregon couldn't beat Boise State. Pretty sure they lost 2 or 3 years in a row. But people continue to overrated Oregon every year because their offense score 1000 points even if their D gives up 950
That's just an absurd statement. Oregon averaged 55 points per game before tonight, and Stanford played a near perfectly-coached game.

The winner of the SEC championship (likely Bama) will beat ND by three scores. Bet the farm.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:17 AM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Just got back from the game. I'm so conflicted on how I feel. A hard-fought team effort that came up short. Too many what ifs early that could've made it a completely different game, from Bruce's dropped pick to missed PATs.

I had a bad feeling when Bailey scored with what, 4 minutes left? Way too fast of a score that gave OU a lot of time. The used timeouts is baffling too. Geno was looking way better, as was Bailey. Austin is gonna be a star on Sundays, easy. He made half the offense.

And the band got booed by our own fans when we played Oklahoma! and made their state on the field. Being booed by your own fans sucks. At this point, I just don't really know what to think. This team is gonna go down in Mountaineer history as having had the most talent potential underachieve. Just... I don't know.

Also I'm mad Alabama's gonna go back into the National championship picture. I can't believe both Kansas St. and Oregon, my ideal Nat'l championsihip matchup, lost. And ****ing Notre Dame's gonna be in the title match too. Lame day.

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:34 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Could be worse, could be Notre Dame.

Notre Dame can have an absolutely terrible team and will start the year ranked #20 to #25. The NCAA itself is the joke, it's all about $$$$$.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:53 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
That's just an absurd statement. Oregon averaged 55 points per game before tonight, and Stanford played a near perfectly-coached game.

The winner of the SEC championship (likely Bama) will beat ND by three scores. Bet the farm.
I meant in the past. They'd beat Boise now, yeah, but they couldn't beat them when Kellen Moore was there.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Could be worse, could be Notre Dame.

Notre Dame can have an absolutely terrible team and will start the year ranked #20 to #25. The NCAA itself is the joke, it's all about $$$$$.
I just met with the President of the DRAKE group...pretty much said that.

It's mind boggling when you think about the money the NCAA makes. They make 2 Million Dollars a day after expenses, and they abuse kids for their money...in all sports

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
I meant in the past. They'd beat Boise now, yeah, but they couldn't beat them when Kellen Moore was there.
Well ****, man, there's a huge difference.

And yeah it would have been cool to see Moore get his shot at a national championship.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

All signs are Rutgers will accept a Big Ten invite tmorrow

Old
11-19-2012, 08:12 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

That'll be great for the school...

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Great for the bottom line

Not so good for football or basketball.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:53 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Great for the bottom line

Not so good for football or basketball.
Rutgers wouldn't contend for a big ten title right away, but I think we'd be pretty solid. We're now just starting to get big recruits. Huggins, the 5 4star O-Line recruits, strivt (sp?), and others were all coveted by big ten schools, chose to stay home at Rutgers. It will take a while but I think we can be at least bowl eligible.

Pretty much anything is good for the BBall team at this point in the BE

Old
11-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Rutgers will probably be a lot like Northwestern but with the talent pool all too itself in state.

Big question for me, do they try to go erect a Division I hockey program?

11-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

Congrats to Rutgers, Rutgers students and alumni and to all New Jersey residents and sports fans.

Devils Dominion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:03 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

I wonder how much longer the Big East lasts at this rate, and if more schools will be leaving like Louisville. The Big XII was supposedly interested in them last year, and now they might act on that since the ACC will surely be looking to add another school back.

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:05 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Rutgers will probably be a lot like Northwestern but with the talent pool all too itself in state.

Never, honestly.

I have a friend who used to play there. They're a club team that would probably compete with D3 level talent. The jump, at least in the near future, would be ridiculous.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Never, honestly.

I have a friend who used to play there. They're a club team that would probably compete with D3 level talent. The jump, at least in the near future, would be ridiculous.
What level the club team is irrelevant because the players on it now are not scholarship players, once they are able to hand out scholarships the talent will improve immensely.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Quote:

It depends how they build, they've done a lot better at keeping those big recruits in state...but they have to do better to compete with the OSUs, MICH, PSUs, wisc, neb.

It does help that they are now in a top 3 conf. and the facilities are state of the art, actually better than most BIG schools like Wisconsin, Nebraska. Probably on par with OSU and MICH...they can expend the stadium to 65k relatively quickly 1 off season, only concern there is money which a couple years of receiving the BTN revenue SHOULD be able to do it, but this NJ so who knows.

I dont see them getting a hockey team, the club team doesnt even play on campus. I actually did play by play for Rutgers hockey team last semester, they were brutal except for the goalie, and my school is Kutztown...I dont see any school playing Kutztown then going to play Michigan Michigan st. OSU ect.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Rutgers doesn't have a club team foundation like Penn State did where you can sprinkle in a couple of recruits and transfers and be competitive. They would have to recruit an entire freshman team, essentially.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
It depends how they build, they've done a lot better at keeping those big recruits in state...but they have to do better to compete with the OSUs, MICH, PSUs, wisc, neb.

It does help that they are now in a top 3 conf. and the facilities are state of the art, actually better than most BIG schools like Wisconsin, Nebraska. Probably on par with OSU and MICH...they can expend the stadium to 65k relatively quickly 1 off season, only concern there is money which a couple years of receiving the BTN revenue SHOULD be able to do it, but this NJ so who knows.

I dont see them getting a hockey team, the club team doesnt even play on campus. I actually did play by play for Rutgers hockey team last semester, they were brutal except for the goalie, and my school is Kutztown...I dont see any school playing Kutztown then going to play Michigan Michigan st. OSU ect.
Other problem is you have to also field a women's teams as well. But they will have the cash for it, that's for damn sure.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:38 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

It doesn't have to be a hockey team though. It could be any female sport so Rutgers could go find a much cheaper sport to field

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:38 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Other problem is you have to also field a women's teams as well. But they will have the cash for it, that's for damn sure.
They better get the cash.

http://go.bloomberg.com/multimedia/rutgers-athletics/

Rutgers takes ~$1000 from each student's fees yearly to pay for it's athletics program. Way more than any other school. A move to the Big Ten will likely increase revenue, but part of it is Rutgers has a lot of sports available that draw in zero profit.

Would surprise me if we see more sports get cut in a few years. Football and Basketball will always be money makers, though.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
They better get the cash.

http://go.bloomberg.com/multimedia/rutgers-athletics/

Rutgers takes ~$1000 from each student's fees yearly to pay for it's athletics program. Way more than any other school. A move to the Big Ten will likely increase revenue, but part of it is Rutgers has a lot of sports available that draw in zero profit.

Would surprise me if we see more sports get cut in a few years. Football and Basketball will always be money makers, though.
Rutgers sports budget was $28M last year, the TV revenue alone they will receive in 2007 is projected to be $43, today was a big day because they will never ever have to worry about money again. Rutgers University found its sugar daddy today.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Rutgers doesn't have a club team foundation like Penn State did where you can sprinkle in a couple of recruits and transfers and be competitive. They would have to recruit an entire freshman team, essentially.
I wish they would, and build a rink near campus. Maybe the Devils can get them to share the rink by helping fund it or something. Could be a perfect situation for a Devils farm team.

They could start up a freshman team and than play DII or DIII if they really wanted to, and maybe in two or three years when they actually have a good mix of older and younger, they can move up to DI. Good for them for joining the BIG 10, hopefully they will still compete in football.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote