HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

2012/2013 Abbotsford Heat Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
I just got confirmation on 4 complimentary platiunum seats for sundays game in toronto. lookin forward to seeing our kids play in person for the first time. hope sven puts on a show.

Haatley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:33 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Should be a good one tonight!

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:35 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Heat win 3-2, Baertschi with a goal.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:58 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Well the Heat have the best record in the league, so that's very good news. Baertschi and Horak are doing exceptionally well. And Brodie seems to be doing well.

I expect more from Irving, Ferland, and Reinhart. I was hoping Aliu would start to bounce back.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Disengage

vCash: 500

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:57 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Well the Heat have the best record in the league, so that's very good news. Baertschi and Horak are doing exceptionally well. And Brodie seems to be doing well.

I expect more from Irving, Ferland, and Reinhart. I was hoping Aliu would start to bounce back.
Irving is 2-0-1 and has a SV% of .928 and a GAA of 2.27 those are very good numbers what more does he need to do? Both Ferland and Reinhart are on the 4th line when playing they are going to do much offensively in that role.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:59 PM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Irving is 2-0-1 and has a SV% of .928 and a GAA of 2.27 those are very good numbers what more does he need to do? Both Ferland and Reinhart are on the 4th line when playing they are going to do much offensively in that role.
I would agree with him on Irving & Ferland. Irving had a good game last night that helped his stats. But I , like many others expected Irving to be the #1. By many reports he has been the least impressive of the 3. Still lots of time to show himslef, and more games like lastnight will do that.
Ferland has done nothing so far. He has only dressed for a handful of games, I think he has a whole 1 shot on net, and hasn't been the physical force I was hoping he would. I hope he can improve.
Reinhart has played alot. While not getting the points, he has been good on the PK. No complaints with him for me.
I would add Byron & Aliu for struggling.

FLAMESFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Aliu's injured. Byron, I believe, just came back from an injury.

I'm not sure how you can fault Irving for not showing enough when he doesn't get the opportunity to do so. If Ward's choosing to keep playing Taylor and Brust because of his policy of playing the hot hand, there's nothing Irving can do but wait it out. And when Irving is actually given a shot, he's done very well, despite coming in cold.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:30 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN View Post
I would agree with him on Irving & Ferland. Irving had a good game last night that helped his stats. But I , like many others expected Irving to be the #1. By many reports he has been the least impressive of the 3. Still lots of time to show himslef, and more games like lastnight will do that.
Ferland has done nothing so far. He has only dressed for a handful of games, I think he has a whole 1 shot on net, and hasn't been the physical force I was hoping he would. I hope he can improve.
Reinhart has played alot. While not getting the points, he has been good on the PK. No complaints with him for me.
I would add Byron & Aliu for struggling.
Irving has only played 3 games of course 1 great game has a big impact on his stats. And of course he has been the least impressive Brust is the top goalie in the AHL so far and Taylor is also top 3, Irving has the 11th best stats in both GAA and SV% in the ahl he is doing just fine and has picked up where he left off last year before his injury,

Byron has been less than impressive and Aliu is playing his 4th line role as well as last year he wouldn't be an offensive player he is more of a Tim Jackman type player I haven't been upset with his play so far.

Old
11-17-2012, 09:52 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Byron has been impressive since returning, I'm not sure which Byron you are watching.

WhereIsIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:53 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Byron has been impressive since returning, I'm not sure which Byron you are watching.
I was expecting more from him personally he has great speed but his offensive game hasn't been up to the level I was expecting.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

Quote:
I was expecting more from him personally he has great speed but his offensive game hasn't been up to the level I was expecting.
Lombardi 2.0 as he has better offensive instincts, a little slower skater... hopefully 10x as durable as Lombardi. Would be nice but not extremely likely if he could work his way up to a second line spot for the Flames.

Time will tell, still needs a lot of seasoning.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
He hadn't played since April or May and missed all of training camp as well as the first 9 games of the year. All this while the competition in the AHL being a notch higher than past years due to the lockout.

What exactly did you expect? It took a world class Iginla a month to catch up from missing the Flames camp last year, but somehow it is expected that Byron should look great right off the bat?

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:14 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
I think an argument could also be made that because Irving has only played 3 games 1 shaky start could have a big impact on his stats.

Before we give up on Irving here's a quick list of other teams top goalie prospects and how they have done this year. (GP GAA SV% compared to 2.27 and .928).

Eddie Lack Chicago Wolves 10 2.92 0.903
Calvin Pickard Lake Erie Monsters 9 2.94 0.912
Kevin Poulin Bridgeport Sound Tigers 9 2.99 0.905
Mark Visentin Portland Pirates 5 2.99 0.911
Matt Hackett Houston Aeros 11 3.25 0.887
Jack Campbell Texas Stars 7 3.30 0.868
Jacob Markstrom San Antonio Rampage 7 3.61 0.881

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:37 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
He hadn't played since April or May and missed all of training camp as well as the first 9 games of the year. All this while the competition in the AHL being a notch higher than past years due to the lockout.

What exactly did you expect? It took a world class Iginla a month to catch up from missing the Flames camp last year, but somehow it is expected that Byron should look great right off the bat?
I agree he will need time to catch up but like I said I excepted more out of him. Maybe I should wait a few weeks to say he has been disappointing but he certainly hasn't been impressive.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
I agree he will need time to catch up but like I said I excepted more out of him. Maybe I should wait a few weeks to say he has been disappointing but he certainly hasn't been impressive.
My point is any player is rarely impressive when they have missed so much time. If someone who has the kind of conditioning Iginla has is unimpressive for a month after missing training cap, how can it be expected anyone will be impressive after missing training camp.

I think all that can be expected from Byron right now is that he gets a little better each night for the time being, which I think he has done. In a couple weeks we will get a much better idea where he is sitting.

I think it should also be noted that if the lockout doesn't end that Byron will be in a 2nd line role on a less productive team then he had his 50 point season with Rochester he was playing first line minutes. So production wise expecting him to match that might be unrealistic.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
My point is any player is rarely impressive when they have missed so much time. If someone who has the kind of conditioning Iginla has is unimpressive for a month after missing training cap, how can it be expected anyone will be impressive after missing training camp.

I think all that can be expected from Byron right now is that he gets a little better each night for the time being, which I think he has done. In a couple weeks we will get a much better idea where he is sitting.

I think it should also be noted that if the lockout doesn't end that Byron will be in a 2nd line role on a less productive team then he had his 50 point season with Rochester he was playing first line minutes. So production wise expecting him to match that might be unrealistic.
Its not his production I am talking about he hasn't been making the smart plays like last year and he doesn't seem as net hunger. Again maybe I should give him a few more weeks but I don't know how Tim Erixons Dad has found him impressive.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
Its not his production I am talking about he hasn't been making the smart plays like last year and he doesn't seem as net hunger. Again maybe I should give him a few more weeks but I don't know how Tim Erixons Dad has found him impressive.
Doesn't someone being impressed just come from expectations?

If he had little or no expectations for Byron right off the bat, then he would be impressed.

Me my expectations were tempered but not exceptionally low so I am neither impressed nor disappointed.

I think with yourself your expectations were slightly higher so you are a little disappointed.

That's why it is so easy to have 3 different opinions on how he is playing so far. If we all expected the same thing then 3 different opinions would be pretty odd and would be easy to question an opinion that was more out there.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:22 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Doesn't someone being impressed just come from expectations?

If he had little or no expectations for Byron right off the bat, then he would be impressed.

Me my expectations were tempered but not exceptionally low so I am neither impressed nor disappointed.

I think with yourself your expectations were slightly higher so you are a little disappointed.

That's why it is so easy to have 3 different opinions on how he is playing so far. If we all expected the same thing then 3 different opinions would be pretty odd and would be easy to question an opinion that was more out there.
That's fair he just hasn't looked as the same player as last year and I mean mentally it could be from the time off but he looks worse.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
That's fair he just hasn't looked as the same player as last year and I mean mentally it could be from the time off but he looks worse.
Yeah he does look worse than last year. But why on earth would anyone expect him to look as good as last year when he just returned from an injury that basically cost him 2 months?

Flames fans gave Mikael Backlund a pass on his slow start last year because he missed camp with an injury, what is the difference?

Old
11-18-2012, 02:06 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Yeah he does look worse than last year. But why on earth would anyone expect him to look as good as last year when he just returned from an injury that basically cost him 2 months?

Flames fans gave Mikael Backlund a pass on his slow start last year because he missed camp with an injury, what is the difference?
The difference is Backlund was slower stick handling but the still tried to make the right pass and go to the net Byron simply has not which is why I am disappointed he isn't approaching the game the same.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Adirondack Flames

Quote:
The difference is Backlund was slower stick handling but the still tried to make the right pass and go to the net Byron simply has not which is why I am disappointed he isn't approaching the game the same.
he is also playing on the 2nd or 3rd line rather than the 1st line. Knowing Ward he likely asked Byron to approach it differently as its is a new role

Old
11-18-2012, 02:25 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
he is also playing on the 2nd or 3rd line rather than the 1st line. Knowing Ward he likely asked Byron to approach it differently as its is a new role
He wasn't really on the first line last year (at least the games I saw) so I doubt it but it could be true. He just seems shy compared to last year he needs to get his convinced back.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Not a great game. was sitting 4th row. irving hung out to dry a couple times, couldnt really generate mch offence.

Imo baertschi and brodie were the best players on either team but no one was really doing much to help.

fraser very dirty for the marlies. should be seeing a suspension for that garbage he pulles. breen laid him out nicely though for goin after byron. good to see him use his size.

Haatley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:14 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Not a great game. was sitting 4th row. irving hung out to dry a couple times, couldnt really generate mch offence.

Imo baertschi and brodie were the best players on either team but no one was really doing much to help.

fraser very dirty for the marlies. should be seeing a suspension for that garbage he pulles. breen laid him out nicely though for goin after byron. good to see him use his size.
I agree Irving's stats aren't a fair comparison of the game he played.