HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Can the Kings repeat?

Old
11-18-2012, 12:55 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire View Post

Round 4: Face DECIMATED Canucks team without Samuelsson and Hamhuis since half way of game 1. Kesler is playing on one hip, Malholtra is playing with one eye, Henrik playing on one wrist, Edler playing with broken fingers, Raymond gets injured in beginning of game 6 and misses game 7. Rome suspended for playoffs for concussing Horton for series. Luongo is a headcase.
Don't forget Higgins with a broken foot and Ehrhoff with a separated shoulder, who had to inject painkillers between periods.

Kings are fully capable of repeating, they were even better at retaining their core guys and they're young enough that the extra mileage could actually help them in the next few years (though they'll need to replace Mitchell/Scuderi for sure). But there are lots of teams of similar calibre that will contend for the next season and thereafter so it might be tough for them to win again.

I think their ability to lock up their most important players for the long haul will result in another repeat IMO, best case scenario they'll pull an NJ in the late 90's/early 00's.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:58 AM
uncleherman77

Will they still have their major players signed when the 13-14 season opens?

uncleherman77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

If the NHL salvages the season, I could definitely see LA winning a consecutive Cup. If we have to wait until next season, then I don't know. I kind of doubt they would win if that happens.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
The odds are in their favour.

But like the Kings showed it's about when you get hot: another team could be getting red hot down the stretch and pull an LA.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

You have to be a really special team to go b2b in today's era. The margins between winning and losing are so tight, that some little things can make all the difference in whether you can repeat.

Little things like motivation. I'm sure the kings are motivated to win it again, but teams that didn't taste it last year should have that little bit of extra desire, and that's the kind of small thing that can make all the difference these days, with the tight margins.

I highly doubt the kings will repeat... I know, I'm really reaching for branches here

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:25 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The odds are in their favour.

But like the Kings showed it's about when you get hot: another team could be getting red hot down the stretch and pull an LA.
Exactly, I`m a Bruin fan, and their Cup win a few years ago was not at all one that didn`t come with huge obstacles. EVERYTHING just went right, when it had to, a great save, timely goal, bit PK and most importantly health, often the healthiest team, when two even teams face one another, wins, and the Kings were, from all I have read, pretty healthy.

The summer following the B`s win, we heard alot of Nuck players going immediately under the knife for a surgery of some sort, not taking away from the B`s win as I think they were, by far, the team with the most guts and superior goaltending in that series and would have won anyways but..

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:38 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
IMO, a shortened season is perfect for LA to repeat. They will return rested and healed and go into the playoffs relatively fresh.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
If Quick plays like Quick and their PK dominates like they did last year, then yes they can.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:52 AM
MessierII

The shortened season only helps there odds.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:01 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
The shortened season only helps there odds.
I would say that a lost season is more beneficial than a shortened one (assuming no one of significance is lost) because one would think that a shortened season would not be enough games to allow weed out all of the non-playoff teams and imo would just create more of a chance for bad teams to make it. Teams that have players not playing elsewhere will also be a distinct advantage as many of the league's best haven't truly been in a real game situation since last season. For a team with such a slow start last year, to play a full year and not have the cup hangover would be an ideal situation for the kings.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Mowerman

I don't see how the Kings were a "surprise" cup winner. They were being talked about as cup contenders before the season started and before they bolstered their roster even more. Me and my buddy both had them down to win it all and pretty much everyone I talked to was absolutely pumped to see them compete once they made it to the playoffs. Sick lineup, I think they could repeat.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:27 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleherman77 View Post
Will they still have their major players signed when the 13-14 season opens?
Yes. Their major players are all signed long term (with the exception of Brown, and he's not going anywhere).

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29

I'll never forget the days before the Van-LA series started. No one was really talking about who would win the series, but rather how deep Vancouver could go this time around. It was common knowledge that Sedin would be more than likely out for the first round, but interestingly enough, it wasn't really a factor. Everyone and their mother had the Canucks steamrolling the Kings, with or without Sedin. I remember when Doughty said something like, "It's going to be fun beating them", and everyone was suddenly up in arms, even laughing at the thought.

Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? Where are those people now? Now Sedin was the difference?

Vancouver is a great team and in all honesty, I hope they win the Cup in the near future so their fan base can feel what we felt. But I think it's ok to give another team credit for simply being better in a series.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Have to love the experts picks and how a majority picked the Canucks to come out on top. Of course we're going to hear about all of the excuses after the fact...

Yahoo Sports: Canucks in 6
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...-upsets-040812

Sports Illustrated: Canucks in 6
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...iew/index.html

Sports Illustrated Playoff Rankings: Kings ranked dead last at 16
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ngs/index.html

ESPN Expert Picks: 8 out of 12 picked the Canucks over the Kings
http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012.../experts-picks

ESPN Series Preview: LeBrun picks the Canucks in 7
http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2012...-angeles-kings

Grantland: Canucks in 5
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...y-cup-playoffs

NHL.com Expert Picks: Only 2 out of 16 picked the Kings to advance
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=626836

The Kings are the biggest underdogs to steamroll through the competition and the only 8th place team to win a Stanley Cup, knocking out the top 3 seeded teams in the West. If it was an easy road to the Cup for them, someone explain to me why the Wings, Hawks, Predators, Canucks or Blues couldn't advance to the Finals this year.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
The Kings are the biggest underdogs to steamroll through the competition and the only 8th place team to win a Stanley Cup, knocking out the top 3 seeded teams in the West. If it was an easy road to the Cup for them, someone explain to me why the Wings, Hawks, Predators, Canucks or Blues couldn't advance to the Finals this year.
That's already been explained many times over in this thread. You just don't like the answer. Having a lot of luck, key injuries to your opponents and softer match-ups than they could have been in the last two rounds, doesn't take away from your favorite team's win, it just casts doubt on whether they are an overwhelming favorite next playoffs.

Can they repeat? Sure, there's always a chance that happens.

Will they repeat? I highly doubt it.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blikian29 View Post

I'll never forget the days before the Van-LA series started. No one was really talking about who would win the series, but rather how deep Vancouver could go this time around. It was common knowledge that Sedin would be more than likely out for the first round, but interestingly enough, it wasn't really a factor. Everyone and their mother had the Canucks steamrolling the Kings, with or without Sedin. I remember when Doughty said something like, "It's going to be fun beating them", and everyone was suddenly up in arms, even laughing at the thought.

Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? Where are those people now? Now Sedin was the difference?

Vancouver is a great team and in all honesty, I hope they win the Cup in the near future so their fan base can feel what we felt. But I think it's ok to give another team credit for simply being better in a series.
And by and large, both experts and Canucks fans (the knowledgeable ones at least) were giving the Kings a lot of credit. On the ESPN site posted earlier, four out of 12 experts predicted a Kings victory and four others thought the Kings would take it to seven before going down.

I remember a lot of Canucks fans being quite worried about facing the Kings (most would rather have faced the Sharks) on the pre-series thread. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1158207&page=5

The poll in that thread indicates 70% support for Vancouver winning the series - they were clear favourites, but an upset was by no means out of the question. Also amongst Canucks fans:
- Iain Murray, blogging at Puck Watch, predicted Canucks in seven.
- Thomas Drance, who runs the Canucks Army blog, predicted the Kings to win in six.
- Joe Pelletier, author of a number of hockey books, predicted Canucks in seven in an article for the Terrace Standard.
And remember, all these predictions were made under the assumption that Daniel Sedin was likely to play.

Please don't let anyone tell you your Cup winning team wasn't great. They absolutely were. And most Canucks fans (other than the blatant homers and the trolls) were giving the Kings a lot of credit for playing well. There's just no guarantee they will play that well again in the next playoffs.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:33 PM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blikian29 View Post

I was definitely guilty of that.
Canucks weren't awful, but were simply outplayed.

I remember thinking "how the hell is THIS team an 8th seed?"

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:03 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

I though the Canucks would overcome the Kings in 7 as an ever optimistic fan... definitively was the worst case scenario matchup, I think we would've absolutely blasted the Sharks.

Quote:
****, I wanted the Sharks. Kings won't make it easy, but I think we can get through in 6 or 7. Wouldn't be TOO shocked if the Canucks lost, though, because the Kings have a very good team that has simply underachieved throughout the year.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:59 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Absolutely. Unlike last year, they'll be starting the season with a roster that is deep in every position and don't really have any holes to fill. They should be competing for the Presidents Trophy too

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:16 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Absolutely. Unlike last year, they'll be starting the season with a roster that is deep in every position and don't really have any holes to fill. They should be competing for the Presidents Trophy too
Yeah, pretty much this.

If Quick can do great again, and if guys like Penner don't go into a big slump then they definately can repeat. Exact same team. Could work.

HockeyFan100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Osprey

Never mind.

Last edited by Osprey: 11-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:44 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
That's already been explained many times over in this thread. You just don't like the answer. Having a lot of luck, key injuries to your opponents and softer match-ups than they could have been in the last two rounds, doesn't take away from your favorite team's win, it just casts doubt on whether they are an overwhelming favorite next playoffs.

Can they repeat? Sure, there's always a chance that happens.

Will they repeat? I highly doubt it.
Again this makes no sense....how did the Kings face softer match-ups in PHO and NJ??? Those teams BEAT the supposed "better teams"...thus making them the better team.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:47 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Honestly, who cares. The answer is yes they can because they are a very good young team that's built for playoff hockey and has great depth and amazing goaltending but who cares at this point. Anyone can win it and I won't care.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 03:41 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Again this makes no sense....how did the Kings face softer match-ups in PHO and NJ??? Those teams BEAT the supposed "better teams"...thus making them the better team.
You aren't serious, right?

Phoenix barely made the playoffs themselves and rode the hot streak of a journeyman goaltender, who has hit the waiver wire a couple of times, to the conference finals. Nashville would have been a far tougher test, healthy, great defensively, great goaltender, just had chemistry problems after the Radulov/AK47 benching.

NJ finished 6th, stumbled past Florida, caught a Flyers team that had been completely exposed defensively and in net by an explosive and unlucky Penguins team, and managed to get past a gassed Rangers team that played two tougher than expected 7 game series. I don't think many people had NJ coming out of the East. All the predictions I saw had either NYR, Pittsburgh, Boston or Philadelphia coming out of the East, with most taking Rangers or Penguins.

LA gets full marks for winning those series, but come on, you can't with a straight face tell me you expected Phoenix in the conference finals or the Devils in the SCF. Cup winning teams sometimes need a bit of luck, and the Kings got an incredible amount of luck in their run. I can't see why Kings fans aren't able to admit this.

But this is a discussion about next season. Are the Kings favorites to repeat? I'd say no, but it's not completely out of the question. I'd put several teams ahead of them in the odds, but hey, that's why the game is played on the ice, right?

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 04:40 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
You aren't serious, right?

Phoenix barely made the playoffs themselves and rode the hot streak of a journeyman goaltender, who has hit the waiver wire a couple of times, to the conference finals. Nashville would have been a far tougher test, healthy, great defensively, great goaltender, just had chemistry problems after the Radulov/AK47 benching.

NJ finished 6th, stumbled past Florida, caught a Flyers team that had been completely exposed defensively and in net by an explosive and unlucky Penguins team, and managed to get past a gassed Rangers team that played two tougher than expected 7 game series. I don't think many people had NJ coming out of the East. All the predictions I saw had either NYR, Pittsburgh, Boston or Philadelphia coming out of the East, with most taking Rangers or Penguins.

LA gets full marks for winning those series, but come on, you can't with a straight face tell me you expected Phoenix in the conference finals or the Devils in the SCF. Cup winning teams sometimes need a bit of luck, and the Kings got an incredible amount of luck in their run. I can't see why Kings fans aren't able to admit this.
I will explain it to you.

Probably because for months already people like you constantly try to downgrade EVERY team the Kings faced. They were lucky (meanwhile: incredibe amount of luck) that they had to play that particluar team because they should have faced "that other team" who had far more quality. For some odd reason that happened 4 times. Yet they all failed to get the job done. Of course a result of injuries and a bad hair day of their GM. When their GM had no hair at all, than the 7 games series becomes an argument. When that team didnt even play a 7 game series, than inexperience became a factor.

I think some get a little tired of it. You need some luck to win but I think some Kings fans cant even admit this anymore because of the crap above. Everyone who have watched the Kings play, should be totally ashamed to say stuff like that.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote