HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

General UFC/MMA/boxing discussion - Bute vs. Pascal?

View Poll Results: Who wins a fight between Lucian Bute and Jean Pascal ?
Lucian Bute 9 36.00%
Jean Pascal 15 60.00%
Draw 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-17-2012, 11:56 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
And we haven't seen GSP's best. He wasn't as defensively aware as he usually is. It was to be expected. He was probably mad at himself after Condit attacked him in the 3rd. That's why he came back by throwing the guy on the mat right after he went back up. He looked pissed. And probably at himself.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post

Condit did good. But GSP, even though he had not fought in 18-20 months, was way too dominant for him.
exactly.

I think people forgot GSP didn't fight for that long ... He was superb technically the whole fight. He used his elbows, punched, created movement down low. Condit said it himself he couldn't do anything down because he couldn't get out of GSP.

Kenny Powders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:59 PM
habsfanatics

Great fight by George, he's a machine.

I came away extremely impressed with condit though. GSP was and is the better overall fighter, but Condit's bottom game was outstanding. Anyone who says condit came to defend and not to fight hasn't got a clue about mma.

Normally GSP passes with ease and end ups in side control as he pleases, he got there a few times, but Condit got back into full guard every time. An extremely good showing for Condit, it was GSP for 4 out of five rds, but Condit did well. Great fight.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Hugo Sham

what a ****ing blood bath. for a while i thought GSP's strategy was to keeping squeezing condit's head and just bleed him to death. The welterweight division is full of killers. Congrats to GSP; looked awfully good for a guy off for so long

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:02 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Great fight by George, he's a machine.

I came away extremely impressed with condit though. GSP was and is the better overall fighter, but Condit's bottom game was outstanding. Anyone who says condit came to defend and not to fight hasn't got a clue about mma.

Normally GSP passes with ease and ups in side control as he pleases, he got there a few times, but Condit got back into full guard every time. An extremely good showing for Condit, it was GSP for 4 out of five rds, but Condit did well. Great fight.
My comment was directed more at those that blame GSP for not winning with KO's. Condit DID come to fight, but his opponent (and I think he realized it early in the fight), was way too strong for him physically. And while he guarded pretty well, fact of the matter was that he lost most of the rounds because GSP was controlling the canvas. And Condit seldom had GSP in trouble while down. And you don't win MMA by just guarding.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
exactly.

I think people forgot GSP didn't fight for that long ... He was superb technically the whole fight. He used his elbows, punched, created movement down low. Condit said it himself he couldn't do anything down because he couldn't get out of GSP.
Seriously epic... considering the time gsp was out... and seeing his ability made most of us even forget for a few moments on how long it was... he is just in another level.

Montreal Impact FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

GSP did pretty good indeed for a rusty guy. But I was hoping he'd strike more, especially the kicks (he trained with muay thai champs for this fight). He did a high straight kick in round one that almost got Condit on the chin. But then he went for takedowns for the rest of the fight.

I'd like a rematch even though it probably won't happen.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
George needs to be more busy when he has someone on the ground. Didn't do enought damage.
condit was marinating in his own blood, Vaseline etc...what the hell is George supposed to grip?

Old
11-18-2012, 12:05 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
GSP did pretty good indeed for a rusty guy. But I was hoping he'd strike more, especially the kicks (he trained with muay thai champs for this fight). He did a high straight kick in round one that almost got Condit on the chin. But then he went for takedowns for the rest of the fight.

I'd like a rematch even though it probably won't happen.
I think that was more because he knew he was stronger than Condit, and wanted to play the game down low. That's his forte.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:06 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
condit was marinating in his own blood, Vaseline etc...what the hell is George supposed to grip?

Old
11-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
I think that was more because he's knew he was stronger than Condit, and wanted to play the game down low. That's his forte.
I agree. He went back to his tried and true aspect of his game. But the reason I wished he strikes more is so that he knocks out his opponent, finish the fight and silence the critics.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
'Tis true

Old
11-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
GSP got a run for his money
It was a good fight, and that kick in the 3rd round scared everybody I think, but overall, GSP dominated the fight, and I mean, really. Condit is a very good fighter, but GSP was several notches ahead, even after all that time away from competition.

So no, he didn't really get a run for his money.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:09 AM
deandebean

The Silva-GSP thing, IMHO, is just a mirage. I think both fighters want to keep the mystique between them for marketing purposes. It will never happen. That's just my opinion.

I don't see why GSP would have to get in a higher weight division. Just can't see the reasoning there.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I agree. He went back to his tried and true aspect of his game. But the reason I wished he strikes more is so that he knocks out his opponent, finish the fight and silence the critics.
GSP's critics know **** about UFC. welterweight is toughest division by FAR.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
The Silva-GSP thing, IMHO, is just a mirage. I think both fighters want to keep the mystique between them for marketing purposes. It will never happen. That's just my opinion.

I don't see why GSP would have to get in a higher weight division. Just can't see the reasoning there.
I agree. GSP is too smart to tarnish legacy, I think Silva would win...it's an uncomfortable weight for GSP

Last edited by Hugo Sham: 11-18-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old
11-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I know nothing of that sport, but isn't that Hendricks guy scarrier? Know we are talking about a different weight division but geez....I'd be more scared of that one-punch guy than an overall other great tactician even if it means moving up and try to get bigger. But again, I'm surely wrong.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Kenny Powders

one-punch guys aren't champions.

just like a hockey team inst winning without defense.

Kenny Powders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:21 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I know nothing of that sport, but isn't that Hendricks guy scarrier? Know we are talking about a different weight division but geez....I'd be more scared of that one-punch guy than an overall other great tactician even if it means moving up and try to get bigger. But again, I'm surely wrong.
In MMA, a one-punch guy would seldom win against a complete fighter like GSP. Other punchers have tried, and have failed.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:28 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not a chance. Silva is the scariest guy in the world, having said that hendrik does have crazy knockout power and outstanding wrestling, but I think GSP is another league compared to him. He's got a puncher chance, but not much else.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
what a atmosphere in the bell centre holy!
just got home from bell center

Rbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I just got back from the Bell Centre, and I had a blast. Was my first time seeing UFC live, and I definitely will check it out again in the future.

The crowd was nuts for GSP, and rightfully so.

My one complaint is the decision of the Carmont/Lawlor fight. Lawlor should have won it, unanimously, I thought.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:46 AM
End of Line
Human After All

GSP's face is bruised badly.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Watching the post-fight press conference right now. Again, GSP is in a league of his own -- giving elaborate answers and very classly. At the other end, you have Condit who answers with one liners, if not one word. That's why GSP has sponsors like UnderArmour, Google and Gatorade. UFC and MMA need GSP if they want to be considered a "big league" sport.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:11 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
GSP's face is bruised badly.

Trying to understand this comment... How about Condit's face?

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote