HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Milwaukee Admirals @ OKC Barons, Saturday 11/17 6PM MDT, Where's The Offense?

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
There may be nothing "wrong" with that, but its a far cry from what many of his boosters were claiming he would do in the NHL. And its certainly not the kind of player we expect from a 10th overall draft pick.
I agree that many of us hoped for more, but none of that matters now, just like it doesn't matter what was thought of Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson back in the day, they are what they are no matter how much many hoped that they'd be more. It'd still be one less roster hole that needs to be filled by our GM who you have an overabundance of confidence in to fill roster holes

11-18-2012, 03:02 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How often have teammates finished 1-2-3 in league scoring in NA pro hockey? Probably not very, we could well see that on this club if the lockout lasts all year, hell we might see 1-2-3-4 if they start racking up some big games and all 4 stay healthy.
How often have you seen 4 of the top prospects in the world playing in the AHL and playing TOGETHER as one unit?

jebus

Where else would they finish?

Old
11-18-2012, 03:05 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
How often have you seen 4 of the top prospects in the world playing in the AHL?

jebus

The 4th guy only finished 10 points ahead of the 5th placed guy?

Old
11-18-2012, 03:05 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
I agree that many of us hoped for more, but none of that matters now, just like it doesn't matter what was thought of Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson back in the day, they are what they are no matter how much many hoped that they'd be more. It'd still be one less roster hole that needs to be filled by our GM who you have an overabundance of confidence in to fill roster holes
Haha ... fair enough.
And for what its worth, you know I'm still backing Gagner.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Haha ... fair enough.
And for what its worth, you know I'm still backing Gagner.
Do you see him ever being a 1C? Many had hoped that he'd get there one day, I don't think that he ever gets there TBH. That said at least he isn't a bust.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:11 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
How often have you seen 4 of the top prospects in the world playing in the AHL and playing TOGETHER as one unit?

jebus

Well one would imagine one or two of the likes of Adam Henrique, Sean Couturier, Nino Niederreiter, Brayden Schenn, Justin Faulk, Alexander Burmistrov, Jake Gardiner, Mikael Granlund (still injured? He has played one more game than Hall currently) etc... would be able to give them a run for their money to slip into at the very least for the 3rd or 4th spot.

So I do not think it is as silly a slam dunk as you make it out to be above. The guys listed above are pretty highly touted prospects in their own right.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
The 4th guy only finished 10 points ahead of the 5th placed guy?

That is a very appropriate theme song, I must confess.

Old
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Well one would imagine one or two of the likes of Adam Henrique, Sean Couturier, Nino Niederreiter, Brayden Schenn, Justin Faulk, Alexander Burmistrov, Jake Gardiner, Mikael Granlund (still injured? He has played one more game than Hall currently) etc... would be able to give them a run for their money to slip into at the very least for the 3rd or 4th spot.

So I do not think it is as silly a slam dunk as you make it out to be above. The guys listed above are pretty highly touted prospects in their own right.
And in the case of Schenn older as well.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Well one would imagine one or two of the likes of Adam Henrique, Sean Couturier, Nino Niederreiter, Brayden Schenn, Justin Faulk, Alexander Burmistrov, Jake Gardiner, Mikael Granlund (still injured? He has played one more game than Hall currently) etc... would be able to give them a run for their money to slip into at the very least 3rd or 4th spot.

One underestimates the serendipity that playing TOGETHER produces. That these 4 players are playing Together on one unit is what makes them overwhelming favorites to lead the league in pts production. I'd expect nothing else really. What other unit in the AHL even comes close to this?

What PP in the AHL, on paper comes close to this. Or is even in the same conversation. maybe you've noted how ineffective these players have been in this same AHL when they are not playing together.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
One underestimates the serendipity that playing TOGETHER produces. That these 4 players are playing Together on one unit is what makes them overwhelming favorites to lead the league in pts production. I'd expect nothing else really. What other unit in the AHL even comes close to this?

What PP on paper comes close to this. Or is even in the same conversation.
PP's are nice but they'll all need to produce at ES to lead the league in scoring 1-4, there are after all only a potential of 3 points on a goal and there are 4 of them

Old
11-18-2012, 03:23 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

What PP on paper comes close to this. Or is even in the same conversation.
Well I would guess if Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier play at least, if nothing else on the same power play unit together? Because our young guys up front are doing most of their damage on the man advantage, no?

Old
11-18-2012, 03:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Well I would guess if Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier play at least, if nothing else on the same power play unit together? Because our young guys up front are doing most of their damage on the man advantage, no?
I count two ringers there instead of 4. You?

Look, no other team in the league can put this unit on the ice lets be clear on that.

Its no surprise we have a unit that leads the league in pts production.

What I expect is a team that is best in the league as expected.

Anyway this is going nowhere.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:26 AM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Replacement I promise you, if you find yourself being optimistic for any amount of time you won't get addicted to the feeling.

Allow it to happen man. It feels so good.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:35 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Do you see him ever being a 1C? Many had hoped that he'd get there one day, I don't think that he ever gets there TBH. That said at least he isn't a bust.
I've never been one to make up fantasy lineups and label players as belonging to a certain line (first, second whatever).

I think Gagner could become a sixty to seventy point player if he had some decent linemates.
And I'm sticking to my prediction that MPS will never score as many NHL points as Gagner has already put up.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
Replacement I promise you, if you find yourself being optimistic for any amount of time you won't get addicted to the feeling.

Allow it to happen man. It feels so good.
lol

Check the Eskimos threads for the year.

After trying to be optimistic about that club I ended up being a fly on a windshield.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:07 AM
supert

Quote:
We agree on quite a lot on this board but as for the above I couldn't disagree more.

Of any NHL club the Oilers development stands to be most adversely impacted by a year lockout. The worst possible result any Oiler fan should want.

This is formative years for this club to bond, gell, learn how to be an NHL winning club etc. Its a year we're not getting back if its flushed. This puts our whole development stable 1 year back and we're currently team development in the entire NHL.

This year is exactly what this rebuild through youth development team doesn't need.
Plus we would probably have had a good chance of getting a top pick in this draft . With a draft lottery we will get a ****** pick

Old
11-18-2012, 10:34 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
The thought process behind the pessimist:

-team/player fails: see, I told you so!

-team/player succeeds: I'm glad I was wrong!

Old
11-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
The thought process behind the pessimist:

-team/player fails: see, I told you so!

-team/player succeeds: I'm glad I was wrong!
Only problem is they're a huge head ache for the fans who actually want to support and love this team

Old
11-18-2012, 01:33 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
lol

Check the Eskimos threads for the year.

After trying to be optimistic about that club I ended up being a fly on a windshield.
I don't think you understand what optimistic means

Old
11-18-2012, 01:35 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

jebus

there is literally no pleasing you... you admit they are doing what they should be doing and still you are unhappy... jesus man

when 95% of people disagree with you, the is a pretty good chance you are wrong... just thought i'd point that out

Old
11-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

This topic man....

Kids aren't scoring 5 pts a night and all of a sudden they're busts.

Then they start scoring and it's a write off because a lot of them are PP points.

Then they start scoring at 5 v 5 and its because the other team isn't well coached and we should probably beat them anyway.

ok

Old
11-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
There's no way we'll be a bottom feeder when the next season comes. I'm really dying for some Oilers hockey. Schultz looks like a really special defenseman. Not many guys in the league that can work the blue line like he does. He could put up some real nice numbers.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Old
11-18-2012, 02:00 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This topic man....

Kids aren't scoring 5 pts a night and all of a sudden they're busts.

Then they start scoring and it's a write off because a lot of them are PP points.

Then they start scoring at 5 v 5 and its because the other team isn't well coached and we should probably beat them anyway.

ok
Almost sounds like this
http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define...ternet%20troll

Old
11-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
I've never been one to make up fantasy lineups and label players as belonging to a certain line (first, second whatever).

I think Gagner could become a sixty to seventy point player if he had some decent linemates.
And I'm sticking to my prediction that MPS will never score as many NHL points as Gagner has already put up.
I think that he could with great linemates, not decent ones IMO. I'm not sure what to think of Paajarvi right now, IMO he's starting to get the grit part of the game so that definitely helps. IMO his offensive confidence has to get boosted for him to start showing more in that area. IMO if he can drive the net and pot a couple it might make a big difference for him. If not then in is what it is and he simply won't be an offensive player. IMO that pass last night showed that he has skill, it's just that he doesn't show it nearly enough yet.

Closed Thread