HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Will the lockout continue into next season?

View Poll Results: Into next year?
Yes 102 44.35%
No 128 55.65%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2012, 07:26 AM
  #51
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,446
vCash: 5700
Why would anyone vote yes?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:18 PM
  #52
Astoria
KESLERKESLERKESLER
 
Astoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Threshold of Hell
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Why would anyone vote yes?
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've pretty much hit rock-bottom with these two camps.

Perhaps my thoughts on the matter will change when it appears that both parties show some sense of urgency and a concern for not only themselves, but for the game, the tradition, the NHL's reputation, and the legacy of the Stanley Cup.

But until then.....

Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:25 AM
  #53
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,697
vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Why would anyone vote yes?
Oh, I'm sorry, did you perhaps see a reasonable chance this is actually going to end? All they have to do is keep it up another couple months and good bye season,and possibly the start of next one too, by then I figure the players will cave like a house of cards.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:09 AM
  #54
bbud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,662
vCash: 500
the players gave in last time and wont this time , Fehr is there to win nothing less and i say he does whatever it takes might be no games for a couple of years

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:47 AM
  #55
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,174
vCash: 500
Poll is worded incorrectly. You distinguish if it is next year or next season as that is a lot of is difference.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:16 AM
  #56
spfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 855
vCash: 500
Bettman and Robin' us of another season? No way!

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:35 AM
  #57
xlnc66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
the players gave in last time and wont this time , Fehr is there to win nothing less and i say he does whatever it takes might be no games for a couple of years
The players can't be that stupid, especially the ones who already missed a season in 04/05. I expect the ones to start speaking up will be the ones who don't want to end up missing 2 complete seasons worth of pay in 9 years.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:57 AM
  #58
DL44
Registered User
 
DL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 5,350
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
The players can't be that stupid, especially the ones who already missed a season in 04/05. I expect the ones to start speaking up will be the ones who don't want to end up missing 2 complete seasons worth of pay in 9 years.
pay.. stats.. legacy..

i.e. where would Jagr, Kovy, Iginla, Luongo, Broduer, Thornton, MSL, Selanne's numbers be right now on the all-time lists... and then the Sedins, Datsyuk, Chara, Hossa, etc, etc, etc...

Really feel bad for their legacies... I mean Luongo, for example... his run for 500 wins/ 1000 gms played... Kovy or Iginla hitting 600-700 goals...

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:05 AM
  #59
DL44
Registered User
 
DL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 5,350
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Why would anyone vote yes?
Pessimists or people hoping for it...

Otherwise... logic says you are completely right... there is NO reason to miss the season considering how far apart they APPARTENTLY are for whats on the line....

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:47 AM
  #60
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo
 
Blue And Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Europe
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Pessimists or people hoping for it...

Otherwise... logic says you are completely right... there is NO reason to miss the season considering how far apart they APPARTENTLY are for whats on the line....
I've been trying to say this.

3.3 billion dollars of revenue on the table, there is no way the owners and players are just going to let all that pile of money sit there. Two fat kids fighting over a piece of cake, eventually they'll come to an agreement before the cake becomes stale.

This isn't a debate between pro-salary cap and anti-salary cap.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:13 AM
  #61
Timmy
Registered User
 
Timmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
logic says you are completely right... there is NO reason to miss the season considering how far apart they APPARTENTLY are for whats on the line....
...except Logic just left Chicago, and he's bound for New Orleans.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:18 AM
  #62
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,000
vCash: 500
Losing this season will hurt the NHL big time. Losing part of next season will effectively kill the league.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:30 AM
  #63
Butch 19
King me
 
Butch 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: L.A. suburb
Country: United States
Posts: 8,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
the players gave in last time and wont this time , Fehr is there to win nothing less and i say he does whatever it takes might be no games for a couple of years
yeah, by "giving in" last time, the players have seen their salaries more than double, with many players seeing salary increases of 300 - 600%.

And while their salaries doubled, they make more average salary and have guaranteed contracts - both things that the much more successful NFL does not offer its union members. (do you see a slight disconnect with reality here?)

Where can give in?

I think the players will agree to a CBA this week (they will realize that $0 < $2.2m - even with new NHL strings attached), and there will be a 12-13 season, starting mid December. Or call it giving in if you like.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:32 AM
  #64
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate
 
Zih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
I've been trying to say this.

3.3 billion dollars of revenue on the table, there is no way the owners and players are just going to let all that pile of money sit there. Two fat kids fighting over a piece of cake, eventually they'll come to an agreement before the cake becomes stale.

This isn't a debate between pro-salary cap and anti-salary cap.
And yet, in their squabbling over ~$230 million a year both sides are just a few weeks away from throwing away all $3.3 billion and seriously jeopardizing future revenues with a highly destructive lockout. At this point it's not about letting the pile of money "sit there," it's about how big a pile of money they let burn while each side attempts to "win" this round of the eternal deathmatch that is NHL labor discussions.

That's what's so frustrating about this. The only real issue up for discussion is money, but both sides have already lost so much potential revenue already that soon it will overshadow however much money they would stand to gain by "winning" the CBA discussions. Right now I think this has way more to do with egos than business, and pride comes before the fall. I've known plenty of fat kids who would happily let that cake go stale just to prevent the other kid from getting a piece of it.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:15 PM
  #65
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
And yet, in their squabbling over ~$230 million a year both sides are just a few weeks away from throwing away all $3.3 billion and seriously jeopardizing future revenues with a highly destructive lockout. At this point it's not about letting the pile of money "sit there," it's about how big a pile of money they let burn while each side attempts to "win" this round of the eternal deathmatch that is NHL labor discussions.

That's what's so frustrating about this. The only real issue up for discussion is money, but both sides have already lost so much potential revenue already that soon it will overshadow however much money they would stand to gain by "winning" the CBA discussions. Right now I think this has way more to do with egos than business, and pride comes before the fall. I've known plenty of fat kids who would happily let that cake go stale just to prevent the other kid from getting a piece of it.
Good post. This is about egos and brinksmanship. You knew it would get nasty the second the NHLPA fired Kelly and replaced him with Fehr.

Both sides have done an excellent job of trampling on the fans and killing any momentum they had from last year. It seems fewer and fewer even care anymore.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:49 PM
  #66
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
...except Logic just left Chicago, and he's bound for New Orleans.
you dont have to worry Timmy, cuz takin care of business is his name
ZZ Top

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:06 PM
  #67
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
pay.. stats.. legacy..

i.e. where would Jagr, Kovy, Iginla, Luongo, Broduer, Thornton, MSL, Selanne's numbers be right now on the all-time lists... and then the Sedins, Datsyuk, Chara, Hossa, etc, etc, etc...

Really feel bad for their legacies... I mean Luongo, for example... his run for 500 wins/ 1000 gms played... Kovy or Iginla hitting 600-700 goals...
I'm sure most players would see the game as a team sport and are more concerned about team wins than individual marks.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:15 PM
  #68
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Good post. This is about egos and brinksmanship. You knew it would get nasty the second the NHLPA fired Kelly and replaced him with Fehr.

Both sides have done an excellent job of trampling on the fans and killing any momentum they had from last year. It seems fewer and fewer even care anymore.
When they start talking about the lockout on sports channels I just switch the channel. I just don't care anymore.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:22 PM
  #69
The Note
Expectations: Low
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: STL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
No way the league could come back from two consecutive missed seasons, it'll be bad enough after they miss this year

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:39 PM
  #70
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,697
vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
No way the league could come back from two consecutive missed seasons, it'll be bad enough after they miss this year
the poll doesn't ask about two missed seasons, it asks if the lockout continues into next year, which could mean one season+1 month of next year.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:38 PM
  #71
EmersonBeatemEtem
Watcha gonna do!!!!
 
EmersonBeatemEtem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hollywood, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
the players gave in last time and wont this time ,
YES they will! The players union has ZERO leverage whatsoever. The owners could cancel the season and make all that money back with a deal thats more favorable to their side. The players stand to lose a years salary, money they will never be able to recoup. Donald Fehr is a moron if he can't see this. He's not going up against a spineless wimp in Bud Selig. He's going up against a Mako shark in Gary Bettman and if he's not careful, Bettman will eat him for lunch.

EmersonBeatemEtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:22 AM
  #72
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,103
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Why would anyone vote yes?
I voted yes.

I have seen nothing that suggests either side is willing to make a deal happen. Until then, I have no confidence we will see the NHL back anytime soon.

Do I want this lockout to last into next season? No.

Do I think it's possible? Yes.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.