HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

Blue Jays sign Melky Cabrera (2 years, 16 million)

Old
11-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIN ANTONIC View Post
Do we really have to go over this again? you can't quantify it, but PED's can increase stamina, weight training, help ward off injuries. All these things are unfair advantages compared to players not using them. It doesn't make your hand eye better or your pitch location, but it can make you a better athlete which can make you a better player.

I'm not on either side really. I don't believe they are magic pills that put you in the HOF but they do effect your body in ways that can enhance your play on the field.
Can you prove this?

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Do we really have to go over this again? you can't quantify it, but PED's can increase stamina, weight training, help ward off injuries. All these things are unfair advantages compared to players not using them. It doesn't make your hand eye better or your pitch location, but it can make you a better athlete which can make you a better player.

I'm not on either side really. I don't believe they are magic pills that put you in the HOF but they do effect your body in ways that can enhance your play on the field.
How do you know all of this? Please, enlighten me...

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:07 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Why do I suspect Canada will be back in the playoffs for the first time since 1993?

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
van Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Tommy John.

Same with Drew Hutchinson.

All three would fit for the #5 spot if they were healthy, but Haap pretty much has it locked down unless we sign someone else.
I noticed everyone's forgetting about Brad Lincoln.

81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:09 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Can you prove this?
Prove that steroids help with strength training? Reduce healing times? Aren't those like the only things that steroids have been proven to help?

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Jeff Skinner
Had a good two weeks

Everyone quit clowning around and read this

http://steroids-and-baseball.com

Jeff Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Prove that steroids help with strength training? Reduce healing times? Aren't those like the only things that steroids have been proven to help?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=106

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

So what made the Jays ownership decide to jack the payroll to new heights? I know its a drop in the bucket for their owners, but its funny to me that they all of a sudden decided to scrap the "build within" route and now are trying to spend their way to the top of the division.

Perhaps, ownership sees that the AL East is not what it used to be. They are all good teams, or have the potential to be good, but there is no longer a super dominant team. This is a window that the Jays have to make some noise, and the owners decided to make their move.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
So what made the Jays ownership decide to jack the payroll to new heights? I know its a drop in the bucket for their owners, but its funny to me that they all of a sudden decided to scrap the "build within" route and now are trying to spend their way to the top of the division.

Perhaps, ownership sees that the AL East is not what it used to be. They are all good teams, or have the potential to be good, but there is no longer a super dominant team. This is a window that the Jays have to make some noise, and the owners decided to make their move.
They haven't scrapped it. They retained all their top prospects despite the moves which is the most prudent thing to do.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:20 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:

The Jays kept their top four prospects in the trades with Miami and only needed money to acquire Cabrera, who they got up to $40 million cheaper than otherwise according to Bowden.

They still are pumping an egregious amount of money into their international scouting services, with an emphasis on Latin America, and have been amongst the highest-spending teams at the draft the past three or four years.

The organization is going to continue to place a strong emphasis on building internally and none of these recent changes alter that plan. Anthopoulos is merely supplementing the major league roster with talent that was expendable in the event that such an opportunity arose.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:32 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Why do people roll their windows down when it is scientifically proven that won't save you any gas mileage?

Can you prove this?
Prove it? Are you serious?

Mind you, you still need to know how to hit for it to make a difference, I can't take roids and suddenly know how to hit. But before Bonds took roids, he was still a great hitter. Roids just made him hit the ball further. Sosa, Big Mac. These guys knew how to hit. But if borderline MLB'ers take roids, nobody will notice. It's why I laugh at people who suggest Bautista takes steroids because he went from a career high of 16 home runs to 54. That's not how steroids work. They aren't magic.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I'm should't say that they scrapped their youth. Poor choice of words on my part, my apologies. Let me clarify.

I'm saying that they are spending for the present, and increased their payroll to new heights, whereas in the last few years, they have almost solely gone the route of building within instead of going for a massive splash at once. I just wonder if this decision has something to do with lack of one or two super dominant teams in the AL East for the first time in a long while, and the jays trying to take advantage of it.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:35 PM
mapes

Quote:
Hence the word "was". Last year, the AL West was a better division than the AL East. Right now, probably not. Time will tell.
Okay they were for 1 year, that's great. Overall, they are not. A's greatly overachieved and I doubt they do it next year.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Prove it? Are you serious?
You mean, I'm asking people to show proof of their opinions? How rude of me....

Poisons have warnings because they have been proven to harm you. Food and medicine allergies as well. But, without proof that steroids help a player hit a ball and heal faster, you have nothing.

Quote:
Mind you, you still need to know how to hit for it to make a difference, I can't take roids and suddenly know how to hit. But before Bonds took roids, he was still a great hitter. Roids just made him hit the ball further.
You are taking an individual and assuming his power surge benefited from steroids, when independent studies have proven steroids don't do anything for hitting a baseball farther. Do you really think those water shots would have been outs if he wasn't on drugs?

You can't just take individual success and attribute it to a placebo.

Quote:
But if borderline MLB'ers take roids, nobody will notice.
So, when players take them and aren't great, they're borderline mlb'ers? It can't be that the pills and shots don't really work, right? We can just pick and choose who they work for and who they don't?

Brilliant.

Quote:
It's why I laugh at people who suggest Bautista takes steroids because he went from a career high of 16 home runs to 54. That's not how steroids work. They aren't magic.
Of course they aren't, which is why it's stupid to try and attribute them to any players success.

Last edited by Clowe Me: 11-17-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old
11-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Okay they were for 1 year, that's great.
It was. Thanks for acknowledging it.

Quote:
Overall, they are not.
Subjective and not proven yet.

Quote:
A's greatly overachieved and I doubt they do it next year.
They didn't overachieve, they were right where their numbers suggested they would be.

It's nice to see the Jays spend money, but they still have holes in their rotation and on the right side of the infield. Don't plan the parade yet.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm should't say that they scrapped their youth. Poor choice of words on my part, my apologies. Let me clarify.

I'm saying that they are spending for the present, and increased their payroll to new heights, whereas in the last few years, they have almost solely gone the route of building within instead of going for a massive splash at once. I just wonder if this decision has something to do with lack of one or two super dominant teams in the AL East for the first time in a long while, and the jays trying to take advantage of it.
Sure, that and this is probably the expected best year of production from the core of Lawrie, Bautista, Encarnacion, Morrow and Romero combined. So that, plus a floundering Red Sox, the new wild card spot, a more wide open AL East and I think the timing was great.

From a local ticket and merchandise perspective the timing is EVEN better. No Leafs to think about and most people are pretty apathetic about hockey, so it's a great time to get excited about the Jays. I bet there are 20x more Jays jerseys sold at Christmas this year versus last year. The buzz for the season should ride out until the home opener if there's no hockey.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:28 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
I noticed everyone's forgetting about Brad Lincoln.
He's a reliever...

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
A's greatly overachieved and I doubt they do it next year.
O's greatly overachieved and I doubt they do it next year.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Sure, that and this is probably the expected best year of production from the core of Lawrie, Bautista, Encarnacion, Morrow and Romero combined. So that, plus a floundering Red Sox, the new wild card spot, a more wide open AL East and I think the timing was great.

From a local ticket and merchandise perspective the timing is EVEN better. No Leafs to think about and most people are pretty apathetic about hockey, so it's a great time to get excited about the Jays. I bet there are 20x more Jays jerseys sold at Christmas this year versus last year. The buzz for the season should ride out until the home opener if there's no hockey.
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that POV, but its a great point. Without the leafs, the jays are the #1 option in that city, combined with the fact that the other TO teams are mediocre to bad, the Jays can take the entire spotlight for themselves.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:27 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
O's greatly overachieved and I doubt they do it next year.
well, yeah, that.

anyways, looking at BP adjusted standings, the O's overachieved the most, somewhere around +13W.

next up was the reds (+10.5W), then the giants (+8.5W), and then the A's (+6W).

but you're both right. The A's overachieved. The O's really overachieved. Heck, the jays may have overachieved their stats by a game or two last year.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:09 AM
van Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
He's a reliever...
He'd be in the pen if he's not the #5 SP, which he won't be.

Reliever >>>>>>>>> AAA starter lol

Old
11-18-2012, 02:09 AM
van Hockey

Nvm read that wrong.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Noisespektrum

Oh those Jays always thinking of the children...."hey kids, cheat and take drugs and maybe someday you will make 8 million bucks a year" . Not a great PR move if he is anything but awesome.

Noisespektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:45 AM
The Man in White

Quote:
Originally Posted by llb9977 View Post
Oh those Jays always thinking of the children...."hey kids, cheat and take drugs and maybe someday you will make 8 million bucks a year" . Not a great PR move if he is anything but awesome.
o rly?

The Man in White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:27 AM
mapes

Quote:
It was. Thanks for acknowledging it.

Subjective and not proven yet.

They didn't overachieve, they were right where their numbers suggested they would be.

It's nice to see the Jays spend money, but they still have holes in their rotation and on the right side of the infield. Don't plan the parade yet.
Texas could be losing Hamilton and Napoli and A's overachieved. That division wont be near as good next year

In their rotation? How? Johnson, Buehrle, Romero and Morrow are 4 starters. Explain the "holes"?

Right side of the infield? EE is a first baseman. Ya we need to improve over him Bonificio will play 2nd and he provides plenty of speed.

Nobody is planning a parade but they will be greatly improved.