HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Longer Free Online - thoughts ?

Old
11-18-2012, 06:56 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 500
No Longer Free Online - thoughts ?

I just noticed recently going the TBN that when I clicked on an articles it said something like I have 4 more free articles before I have to pay....

What is everyone's thoughts on having to pay to view TBN online ?

Personally I hardly ever go there anymore...I used to in the past when I was living out of town but since I have moved back to area I rarely visit it....

No way I am paying them...

For news both sports and local I'll use wgr, yahoo, and maybe some other local radio/tv online sites....

For anyone else who is not going pay where will you go for news ?

Or where do you go now for local news if you don't use TBN ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:06 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Just not worth paying for. But, hypothetically, let's say that it was worth paying for... It's still very difficult to successfully start charging for something that was once free.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Chances are they are going to the same format as D&C here in Rochester. Include online access with a print subscription and raising the print subscription prices.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
I just noticed recently going the TBN that when I clicked on an articles it said something like I have 4 more free articles before I have to pay....

What is everyone's thoughts on having to pay to view TBN online ?

Personally I hardly ever go there anymore...I used to in the past when I was living out of town but since I have moved back to area I rarely visit it....

No way I am paying them...

For news both sports and local I'll use wgr, yahoo, and maybe some other local radio/tv online sites....

For anyone else who is not going pay where will you go for news ?

Or where do you go now for local news if you don't use TBN ?

My mother gets the Sunday paper for the coupons. So, I had to go over there and set up her online access. It lets you have up to 5 users. So, I set up a password for myself as well. I don't think I'd pay for it.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:06 PM
heartsabres*

Gone are the days of paying for something becuase you are being provided a service. Why read it if you donīt want to pay for it? If you want something to be successful then why not support it? It is sad that so many people have the opinion that everything should be free. They do not think about the employees needing to get paid and the business staying alive. They just want things to be free.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

The Buffalo News is terrible anyway.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:30 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

This is kinda old news, but yeah. It went into effect at the end of October.

You can easily bypass their paywall by using a javascript blocker, or by hitting stop on your browser as the page loads to stop the paywall script.

Not sure why you'd want to though. They're a trash rag.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Just not worth paying for. But, hypothetically, let's say that it was worth paying for... It's still very difficult to successfully start charging for something that was once free.
That's the million-dollar question: is TBN's hockey coverage worth it? I think not - especially when one considers that only 1 of the 4 reporters that write about hockey-related matters (Vogl) stays close to reporting facts in an objective, unbiased manner. Harrington, Gleason and Sullivan have evolved more and more about waxing poetic of their own agendas / opinions in articles - which is all well and good until they expect others to pay to read such.

Since Jim Kelley passed away and Tim Graham's departure in 2007, the hockey coverage from TBN has been sub-par IMO.

What I find so ironic is how proud all of the TBN writers were of the attention their "Sabres Edge" blog attracted, in terms of internet hits, since it first went live. And while the blog provided a quick and informal way for them to post news items as they happened, it also gave each of them (Harrington and Gleason, especially) a forum to vent and link their own Twitter chats to. It was fast-food for Sabres' fans but hardly exclusive in terms of finding out news about the Sabres......and, in this age of the Internet and global media access on the spot, there are plenty of other resources for fans to read the same news. TSN, CBC, ESPN, Yahoo, etc. all had similar news - and whatever soundbytes or interviews that TBN would post in their blogs and articles were also available on WGR and the Sabres' own website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Gone are the days of paying for something becuase you are being provided a service. Why read it if you donīt want to pay for it? If you want something to be successful then why not support it? It is sad that so many people have the opinion that everything should be free. They do not think about the employees needing to get paid and the business staying alive. They just want things to be free.
In principle, maybe - but such is the time we live in where news and information are made available online for quick, easy and FREE access. The reality is that all print media is fighting the same dilemma: how to cover costs for content that is no longer sought out in print form. As noted above, TBN hardly has exclusivity in coverage about the Sabres - so, if they want to charge readers for online blogs or articles when similar content is available on other Internet sources, they have to find a way to make their coverage so much more superior, insightful and unavailable to justify the costs to readers. As it stands now, TBN is an average newspaper IMO - which is probably due to some complacency or taking it for granted because they are the only paper in Buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Chances are they are going to the same format as D&C here in Rochester. Include online access with a print subscription and raising the print subscription prices.
That's fine for locals that live there - but I imagine a large portion of their readership online (blog + news articles) are people who live out of state and don't have access to getting the print editions through subscriptions. I recall TBN citing stats a few years after they first went online in 1999 on the percentage of former Buffalo residents living elsewhere in the world that accessed their site - and it was over 70%. Maybe they figure on that percentage being the ones willing to pay for the content online because they have no other perceived source of reading "hometown" news.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:37 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
They didn't raise print rates, but same idea. Right now Sunday only delivery is cheaper than 7 days of online access. They're basically trying to prop up their Sunday circulation by doing this, which is like a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

The paywall is inconvenient, annoying, and poorly implemented. It will accomplish nothing by delaying the News' transition into a functional news entity, which they haven't been for some time.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Clock

news.google.com.

It's unfortunate, but between their comment system and the quality of their sports writers... good luck.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
news.google.com.

It's unfortunate, but between their comment system and the quality of their sports writers... good luck.
By the time the print media figures out the internet, they will be extinct.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:36 PM
dugman

Most of my Buffalo News sports reading comes in the form of quoted pieces on HF Boards, with accompanying abuse and comments. Obviously, this is much better, anyway.

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:53 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

In it's current form, TBN is dying a slow death.

"And the LORD did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats".

I, for one, like it. Make way for improvement.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Do you read the artvoice? Use a free checking account? Craigslist? Google?

Thousands of successful businesses offer a service to draw a large population toward ads and other services. The fact is that the buffalo news has been writing itself out of relevancy for years. Now it can't support itself with ad revenue and it's taking the chance that they can get more readers to pay for content that's largely available in a number of other places for free than they will chase away by doing something that a minority of other news sites do.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
I believe Beechsack's addressed this once before, but to detail it for TBN access just block syncaccess.net with the NoScript add-on (tutorial) in Firefox; NotScripts is the extension in Chrome. You'd do that to bypass this script that executes their paywall:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.syncaccess.net/bh/bn/api/scripts/syncwall"></script>
Or you could continue to 'Allow [domain]' or 'Temporarily Allow [domain]' the page and scripts to run as they were originally coded, like so, and hit their paywall:

Last edited by Woodhouse: 11-18-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:45 AM
HiddenInLight

I doubt many will pay to read their garbage. Its just a shame that Vogl will go down with the ship. All the rest of the writers are morons tbh. No huge loss for us. =/ In fact this just gives me more reason to avoid the three year olds named Sullivan and Gleason. =/

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:03 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
If it weren't the only newspaper in town, I believe it would be out of business.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I doubt many will pay to read their garbage. Its just a shame that Vogl will go down with the ship. All the rest of the writers are morons tbh. No huge loss for us. =/ In fact this just gives me more reason to avoid the three year olds named Sullivan and Gleason. =/
Skurski and Graham aren't bad either. However, the overall point is still valid. Quality of work there is not good, and the News doesn't provide much that can't be found elsewhere, especially on the sports side. When is the last time ANYONE from TBN or WGR actually broke a story about the Bills or Sabres?

Old
11-19-2012, 11:29 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Do you read the artvoice? Use a free checking account? Craigslist? Google?

Thousands of successful businesses offer a service to draw a large population toward ads and other services. The fact is that the buffalo news has been writing itself out of relevancy for years. Now it can't support itself with ad revenue and it's taking the chance that they can get more readers to pay for content that's largely available in a number of other places for free than they will chase away by doing something that a minority of other news sites do.
Donīt know what artvoice is, my account is not free, I dont use craigslist not into getting scammed and Google is not free and google is a virtual search engine that is worth $150,000,000,000 which yes makes money from usage. What is your point? Nothing is free and paying can go beyond just currency.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It's funny that they're trying to go to a model that failed for so many other print outlets in the '90's. The only person I know who is contemplating paying for it is my father, who reads the local fishwrap daily on his tablet while sitting in his easy chair in Florida. That's it.

11-19-2012, 02:53 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Donīt know what artvoice is, my account is not free, I dont use craigslist not into getting scammed and Google is not free and google is a virtual search engine that is worth $150,000,000,000 which yes makes money from usage.
And in a few short words we're in full agreement. I rattled off the first "free" business models that came to mind and we've found one that you use. All of these offer a service to viewers and succesfully acheive revenue from other sources. All of them would have any one of them would (and some have) had difficulty shifting from this model to a direct pay to use model.

Quote:
What is your point?
This is my point:

Quote:
Nothing is free and paying can go beyond just currency.
Let's say that you signed onto google tomorrow and were presented with a notice that, while your next 5 searches would still be free, you will now be charged a monthly premium if you wish to use the service. There is a very strong chance that you'll try alternatives.

This isn't because you feel like everything should be free or that you shouldn't have to pay for things that are of value to you. It's because the business that has set that expectation for their product, and now wishes to change their product without offering anything new.

You say that it's sad that so many people have the opinion that everything should be free. The fact is that businesses do this to themselves, and then find themselves faced with a lot of challenge once their costs or the market for their alternative sources of revenue run into trouble.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Donīt know what artvoice is, my account is not free, I dont use craigslist not into getting scammed and Google is not free and google is a virtual search engine that is worth $150,000,000,000 which yes makes money from usage. What is your point? Nothing is free and paying can go beyond just currency.
Artvoice is the local "alternative" weekly. Halfway decent columns and good coverage of stories the News misses, but City Newspaper in Rochester does a better job of being a gadfly.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:16 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

You can't just give something away for free for years and then decide you want to start charging for it. That's a business plan that's destined to fail.

I think any newspaper that does this is beyond stupid, but they at least need to be able to offer addition features/benefits to subscribers if they're going to put up a pay-wall. Ad revenue will plummet and their main demographic can't/won't/don't use the internet.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:46 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
You can't just give something away for free for years and then decide you want to start charging for it. That's a business plan that's destined to fail.

I think any newspaper that does this is beyond stupid, but they at least need to be able to offer addition features/benefits to subscribers if they're going to put up a pay-wall. Ad revenue will plummet and their main demographic can't/won't/don't use the internet.

But-but by paying you still get access to their "super high quality* content"

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Clock

What's even funnier that this is happening during a lockout, when their product is arguably weak for fans who are interested in Sabres articles. Splendid timing.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote