HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 4.0

Old
09-06-2012, 03:20 AM
TheAntiPrice

vCash: 500
Also asked this in the University/College Questions thread:

Quote:
Any of you remember there used to be this Chinese photocopy place on Mckay/Maisonneuve? Beside that Jolie Copie place that's still there? Like right across the Library entrance on Mckay.

You could take your newly purchased books from the bookstore there and they would photocopy the whole thing for you, then you could refund your book back to the bookstore, it was awesome.

It got shut down sometime in 2010 I believe. Anybody aware of any other similar place in Montreal where they photocopy your books for a price? Concordia's bookstore totally screws you over.

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 01:40 PM
li7039

Out of town tourist. Has a few questions

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot I searched for a tickets/city thread and didn't find anything except the what to do in Montreal thread. I'm planning on coming up to a game this year if there's a season. I saw that tickets were set to go on sale next Saturday. I also saw that the pre season ticket sale was canceled. Any locals have any incite on if there going to cancel that as well due to the impending lockout? Based on what I have read else where, and the prices on stub hub I assume that is the best way to go around getting decently priced tickets. In the event I don't win the drawing or whatever the bell centre uses to sell the tickets what's the next best alternative? I really don't want to wait around outside the arena looking for a scalper. Everything else I have figured out, there's a nice Marriott by the bell centre and I'm arriving by train so everything is right there. Any must see things in the city or must try restaurants? I'll be up there for 4 days. Hopefully everything works out and there's a season..

Sorry if there's an existing thread on this topic. My apologizes.

li7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Fergy22

vCash: 222
There's a "sticky" on what to do in Montreal.

I'm waiting to buy tickets when I know the there will be a season and what the revised (if any) schedule will be. I can usually get tickets on line but they limit you to one game per charge card. I use a buddies card if I want to see two games.

Fergy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Eazy T

I have been to Montreal, I liked going to Mad Hatters cuz it had like one dollar beers on Thursdays, that is cheap. Plus I go to Bar Passporte on St.Denis. Foufounes is good place to meet some people. I also love Piranha bar where you can order cheap beer and have poutine a la frite alors. I only go to English speaking bars.

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 02:59 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
I have been to Montreal, I liked going to Mad Hatters cuz it had like one dollar beers on Thursdays, that is cheap. Plus I go to Bar Passporte on St.Denis. Foufounes is good place to meet some people. I also love Piranha bar where you can order cheap beer and have poutine a la frite alors. I only go to English speaking bars.
Foufounes and Passport are imo french bars, hard to find a place a bar in montreal where the staff doesn't speak english. Except if you check in places where the average age of the customers is 55 years old and where most the action happens in the lotery machines section.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
chromemaro

Visiting your awesome city for the second time this December for an alexisonfire concert! Staying at the HI Hostel once again because I really liked the location for that price.

Last time I visited it was march. Anything interesting to do around dec 23? I stayed pretty local when i visited 4 years ago and just hung around st catherines st.

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
Visiting your awesome city for the second time this December for an alexisonfire concert! Staying at the HI Hostel once again because I really liked the location for that price.

Last time I visited it was march. Anything interesting to do around dec 23? I stayed pretty local when i visited 4 years ago and just hung around st catherines st.
well like any other big city the place goes quiet for Christmas. But there's always boxing day on the 26th.

Old
10-11-2012, 08:35 PM
WHATaboutLOVE

I'm going to the Russell Peter's show next monday, any good place to eat near (max 10 mins walking) the bell centre?

WHATaboutLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Spex

Can't belive I'm asking this but...are there any good "meat market" bars in the downtown for the over 30 crowd?

Because I'm the only francophone in the office, I'm being sent to Montreal next week to entertain some clients and I've partied with these guys before and know what they like

Thanks

Spex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post
I'm going to the Russell Peter's show next monday, any good place to eat near (max 10 mins walking) the bell centre?
Dozens you're litteraly in the heart of downtown Montreal, if you don't want to move much you can try la cage aux sports inside the bell center...

Ribs, steak, high-end burgers, surprisingly good and original asian menu. It's not cheap a bottle of beer is around 7$ but la cage aux sports is imo the best sports restaurant chain in Canada if not north america.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post
Can't belive I'm asking this but...are there any good "meat market" bars in the downtown for the over 30 crowd?

Because I'm the only francophone in the office, I'm being sent to Montreal next week to entertain some clients and I've partied with these guys before and know what they like

Thanks
You mean the 'meat market' bar restaurant?

http://www.meatmarketfood.com/

It's near metro mont-royal.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:27 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spex View Post

Thanks
Are you basically asking for a bar which so-called cougars frequent?

Only one that comes to mind is Thursday's on Crescent.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Acadian Jet

Gonna be in MTL Saturday and Sunday. Gonna be hanging out with 4 friends who are coming down from NB. What are some fun and exciting places to go on a Saturday night? What are the best clubs in town? The friends I'll be with are all girls btw, so places both genders can enjoy would be preferable lol.

Also, we're all around 18-21 yrs old

Thanks!

Last edited by Acadian Jet: 11-13-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Acadian Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:28 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I already posted this in the Lounge forum, but I think it belongs here :

Ok what is a good lounge in downtown Montreal for a 1st date?

I dont want to go straight to a restaurant for a 1st date, I eat like a pig

Looking for something not too loud, intimate; and it doesnt have to be fancy (it could be, but it doesnt have to)

Any idea?

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadian Jet View Post
Gonna be in MTL Saturday and Sunday. Gonna be hanging out with 4 friends who are coming down from NB. What are some fun and exciting places to go on a Saturday night? What are the best clubs in town? The friends I'll be with are all girls btw, so places both genders can enjoy would be preferable lol.

Also, we're all around 18-21 yrs old

Thanks!
Well I'll try my best and there's so many choices in Montreal, and you mentioning clubs I'll give you the cream of the cream just remember to 'if needed' upgrade your dress code. Also fall is not the most fun time to go out since you can't really enjoy terraces and the warm weather but there's always fun stuff to do.

You can start off your afternoon with a beer downtown in the latin quarter at les 3 brasseurs, l'amère a boire or le Saint-Sulpice.

All a minute walk from each other

http://www.amereaboire.com/

Great selection of eastern european droughts

http://www.les3brasseurs.ca/eng/st_denis.php

Nice place, 'beer cocktails' and a good menu for dinner. That or the Mcdonald's across the street.

http://www.lesaintsulpice.ca/

Largest bar in Canada, I could also suggest their dance floor.

For clubs the 737 located at the top of Place Ville-marie is probably the most high-end and expensive club in town.

http://www.promoclub737.com/

The Ballroom was my favorite club, since you got less underage teens a little more class, better music and good energy.

http://www.balroombar.com/

This place kicks ass

http://www.abreuvoir.ca/index.php/fr/

On a side note if you try something exotic you might wanna give Café Gitana a visit ( local beers and turkish chicha pipes are a great mix) you can also try their cigars. And it's now my favorite bar.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/caf%C3%A9-gitana-montreal-2

Now thats for downtown personally I think Mont-Royal avenue located in the heart of Le Plateau has more ambiance than downtown and the people are more fun to hang out with.

The Bar inc is a very cool bar and the people are great.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BAR-INC/35400098668

Ever tried skittles vodka, well the candi bar takes the principle to a new level.

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/blo...rown-up-treat/

Edgar hypertaverne used to be one my least favorite bars but the new owners changed it and it's now pretty cool.

http://hypertaverne.com/

Basically a bar with a pool table and not much else but sometimes that all you need to have fun, also one of my favorite

https://www.facebook.com/BoudoirMont...83614204995146

Biggest and best pool bar for the younger generation, I'd say it's a must go.

http://www.qdg.ca/bars-pubs/boul_noir

Other possible choices on Mont-Royal

http://barraca.ca/

http://www.chezbaptiste.com/

good live music

http://www.quaidesbrumes.ca/

My favorite restaurant on the avenue where I also used to work, give the carbonara a try.

http://www.restomisto.com/en/Home.aspx

This list is only scratches the surface of what Montreal has to offer, good news is that all the other places you might enjoy are all very close from one to another just by walking around town you'll find tons of other great locations.

Last edited by Alexdaman: 11-15-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old
11-16-2012, 05:11 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Do the automated vending machines at Metro stations sell the OPUS card themselves, or are they just for adding money to your card?

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Do the automated vending machines at Metro stations sell the OPUS card themselves, or are they just for adding money to your card?
No you have to buy the card at the counter.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:33 AM
schumway2

Do underground clubs exist in Montreal? And by underground I think you know what I mean.

Not that I'm interested or anything.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:25 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
If anyone's around to answer this in the next hour or two, that would be awesome.

Thinking of heading to the Als-Argos game today. What's parking like at the Big O? Best place to park, worst place, cost etc.

Or should I park my car somewhere not to far off and take the metro in? Any specific area I should think about doing that?

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Sforza

Hi all!

Just a question, are the NBA playoffs well followed by the sportsbars in Montreal? Since I might visit Montreal as the NBA playoffs begin, but I dont wanna miss any of the games too :-) So just curious if the NBA lives in Montreal.

Sforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sforza View Post
Hi all!

Just a question, are the NBA playoffs well followed by the sportsbars in Montreal? Since I might visit Montreal as the NBA playoffs begin, but I dont wanna miss any of the games too :-) So just curious if the NBA lives in Montreal.
Not generally, since hockey playoffs and the beginning of baseball season are concurrently happening. However, this year, if hockey is not on, Im sure most sports bar will be playing basketball. Station des Sports for sure will be.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:18 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
If anyone's around to answer this in the next hour or two, that would be awesome.

Thinking of heading to the Als-Argos game today. What's parking like at the Big O? Best place to park, worst place, cost etc.

Or should I park my car somewhere not to far off and take the metro in? Any specific area I should think about doing that?
You should be able to find parking on the streets perpendicular to Sherbrooke street, coming from the West towards the Olympic Stadium. I probably live ~20-25 min. away by foot, and I'm sure if you drive on Sherbrooke, coming from Iberville street to the Big O, there will be parking on perpendicular streets.

On Google Maps, look at the Big O. To The West, there's Pie-IX and even further, there's Saint-Germain street (passed Davidson). Try this area inside these streets: Rachel (North) to Hochelaga (South) & St-Germain (West) to Avenue Jeanne D'Arc (East). If you can't find a spot anywhere, I'm honest here, send me a PM, park not that far from my place and I'll drop you guys next to the Big O. You'll have to comeback by foot though (20~30 min. walk)

Last edited by PhysicX: 11-18-2012 at 10:29 AM.
PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

No questions, just dropping through to comment on what a great city Montreal is. Ah the ladies...

11-20-2012, 03:10 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
No questions, just dropping through to comment on what a great city Montreal is. Ah the ladies...
You leave our ladies alone.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:08 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You leave our ladies alone.

I concur!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote