HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2012-13 Season

Old
11-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Orlov not looking himself reminds me of Eminger and his struggles during the lockout up in Portland. He came back a totally different and worse player. Not saying Orlov will take the same route...but just thinking back.
Eminger was struggling mightily well before the lockout starting with the wonderful decision to keep him in the NHL for the first half of the season after drafting him while getting him in all of 17 games.

Eminger is a perfect example of how not to develop a player...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Galiev sent to Reading. It could be just for tonight's game. Could be more...and maybe explain why Alex Berry was called up by Hershey recently.

I thought he'd transition more quickly due to a decent compete level in junior but hockey sense may be an issue. And confidence. You can't say there was a lack of opportunity given how little the forwards have produced to this point, though on the other hand the pieces to compliment him in terms of tempo and possession aren't really there either.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Millhaus

Come on all of you who had Galiev penciled in or at least competing for a spot in DC this year raise your hands...

Old
11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

*Raises hand*

I'm thinking Galiev was just sent to get an extra game in and build some confidence. Reading plays tonight while Hershey doesn't play until Friday. That's the advantage of having both of your minor league affiliates so close together. Barring a disastrous performance tonight, I think he'll be back in Hershey on Friday.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 04:31 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
*Raises hand*

I'm thinking Galiev was just sent to get an extra game in and build some confidence. Reading plays tonight while Hershey doesn't play until Friday. That's the advantage of having both of your minor league affiliates so close together. Barring a disastrous performance tonight, I think he'll be back in Hershey on Friday.
I don't know about that. Could be sent there for a few weeks to develop some confidence similar to what Andrew Gordon was sent to the ECHL to do. Hershey knew Gordo was good enough he just had no confidence at all and I see the same qualities in Galiev. Galiev has not transitioned well at all and when he is inserted into the line up, his spot sometimes will be taken by another player and he gets few shifts. I think sending him to Reading and letting him develop some confidence for a few games would help him a lot

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Langway
Intangibles

@JasonGuarente: Stanislav Galiev is expected to be reassigned to Hershey Thursday.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:56 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Galiev sent to Reading. It could be just for tonight's game. Could be more...and maybe explain why Alex Berry was called up by Hershey recently.

I thought he'd transition more quickly due to a decent compete level in junior but hockey sense may be an issue. And confidence. You can't say there was a lack of opportunity given how little the forwards have produced to this point, though on the other hand the pieces to compliment him in terms of tempo and possession aren't really there either.
Yeah, I don't know what the hell the coaches were doing the first couple weeks with him. He was out there with grinders that weren't creating the situations that he could excel in. Very recently they're switching things up and his play has gotten better.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Hershey outclassed by Syracuse in the first period...outshot to the tune of 18 to 2. 2-0 on the scoreboard. Very little pace in Hershey's game from what I've seen so far this season and not all that much skill either.

Old
11-17-2012, 01:09 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Didn't watch the game, but pleasant to see Orlov back on the board. 1 assist, 4 shots, and even in the 6-1 loss.

Kundratek and Brouillette were -3.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Rumblick

They've played 13 games and been outshot in 12 of them, and it's been a wide margin on many occasions, especially lately (182-105 in the last 5 games). For the names on this roster, they should be doing a LOT better. Whatever system Oates has decided to put in, this doesn't bode well for the Caps when / if the lockout ends. Holtby & Sabs have had several games where they were the difference between a 1-goal game and a blowout. Given what we've seen the past few weeks, a game like last night was inevitable.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Whatever system Oates has decided to put in, this doesn't bode well for the Caps when / if the lockout ends.
We'll see but I think it's as much a team speed issue from what I've seen. Forechecking is not this group's strength and it's primarily what Oates seems to want his teams to bring to the table. Now it's becoming a matter of needing to chuck some aspects of the ideal or preferred system to one that's more primarily defensive-minded for this group. That is if winning is the top priority.

I'm really not sure having four coaches in the mix helps at all but more than anything I think it's poor personnel decisions when constructing the roster last summer. It's another reason why having a coach in place and their vision well understood by 7/1 is important. It's not just about the NHL roster but organizationally as a whole. They brought in a couple quicker college forwards but it's fair to say they're not entirely ready to be steady contributors.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Rumblick

Bears are 3-0 against Wilkes-Barre.

They're 2-7-1 against everyone else.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:46 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Mitch showed great hands yesterday, proves he'll be in a roster spot contention as soon as NHL comes back. Has the speed, has the grit. Video http://youtu.be/9yyfLZX6vIY

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:40 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Mitch showed great hands yesterday, proves he'll be in a roster spot contention as soon as NHL comes back. Has the speed, has the grit. Video http://youtu.be/9yyfLZX6vIY
Mitchell is having a solid year. He is one of the few bright spots on the roster. He even wears the "A" on certain nights.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Really, whose roster spot is he going to take? The Caps' roster might as well be set in stone...

Old
11-18-2012, 04:42 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Really, whose roster spot is he going to take? The Caps' roster might as well be set in stone...
I think a D could be on the way out/down to Hershey if Mitchell/Sjogren/Stoa etc. impress.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:36 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
I don't know why he couldn't make it, he doesn't appear to be soft.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Langway
Intangibles

One forward injury could necessitate a call-up since they're seemingly set to carry 13F/8D. Mitchell should be the first option and I wouldn't bet against him vs. anyone on the Bears in an open competition. Hell, if it's long-term or something at the start of camp I'd probably take Tom Wilson over anyone in Hershey. Otherwise signing Kane or Taffe is probably the conservative way to go as far as spot duty. I like Mitchell's spunk but he'll need to continue to add speed and strength to play that game effectively in the NHL.

Not sure the D ties in too much but carrying eight isn't ideal either. Then again, Orlov may not necessarily be a lock. Hillen could put his spot in jeopardy potentially.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Exit Dose

If anyone wants to watch Hershey's game:
http://atdhenet.tv/52505/watch-hersh...rfolk-admirals

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:44 PM
LetsGoBears

Teams they've been playing aren't the best, but it is a completely different Bears team the past three games. Everything is better. They're giving up less shots, putting up a lot more shots, both sides of the ice is a world of difference and players are just flat out playing better. McNeill is in freaking beast mode. He is scoring, breaking up plays and just a stud on the ice right now. Orlov looks like the player he was last year finally. Taffe, Hamill and DiSalvator are all showing up on the score sheet multiple times. I would really love to see Galiev back up and see what he could do.

I'm not sure what Oates was doing, but it's a vastly better team since he left. For all I know he overly enforcing the new system to makes sure everyone got it, and wanted to see certain people playing for evaluation purposes. I'm glad as a Hershey fan he is gone, and hope it was a talent thing as a Caps fan.

Last edited by LetsGoBears: 11-30-2012 at 11:52 PM.
LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:03 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Teams they've been playing aren't the best, but it is a completely different Bears team the past three games. Everything is better. They're giving up less shots, putting up a lot more shots, both sides of the ice is a world of difference and players are just flat out playing better. McNeill is in freaking beast mode. He is scoring, breaking up plays and just a stud on the ice right now. Orlov looks like the player he was last year finally. Taffe, Hamill and DiSalvator are all showing up on the score sheet multiple times. I would really love to see Galiev back up and see what he could do.

I'm not sure what Oates was doing, but it's a vastly better team since he left. For all I know he overly enforcing the new system to makes sure everyone got it, and wanted to see certain people playing for evaluation purposes. I'm glad as a Hershey fan he is gone, and hope it was a talent thing as a Caps fan.
Even as a caps fan that whole situ seemed really weird. The starsaligned when it comes to BB and his system looking back. Guess we'll see if there is a season if Oates's system is worthy.

12-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

If Oates isn't the guy, the Caps are in trouble.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:44 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
I have a wild guess, but maybe he was experimenting? Who knows.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
McNeill is in freaking beast mode. He is scoring, breaking up plays and just a stud on the ice right now. Orlov looks like the player he was last year finally.

I'm not sure what Oates was doing, but it's a vastly better team since he left.
Simply putting McNeill in the lineup and shifting Orlov back to RD has done wonders. I don't really get why PM wasn't playing...if it was a Johansson thing or an Oates thing (ultimately an Oates thing). The rest of the D wasn't playing that well and evaluation of alternatives doesn't really explain it.

Calling up Berry and then Barlow has given them better depth and complimentary pieces up front. Barlow looks like a better fit with Taffe/DiSal than Syner, Almeida or anyone else that's been tried. They've got what seems like better balance overall now. Maybe it was just solving the mix and timing in terms of chemistry starting to come. I wouldn't too much into Oates' stay in Hershey but I do wonder a bit how much of a motivator he is and whether the umbrella PP is worthwhile.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:16 PM
royals119

Quote:
I would really love to see Galiev back up and see what he could do.
As a Royals fan I'd be glad to see him get called up too. He just looks lost out there. He mostly skates in circles, misplays the puck, skates toward opponents then stops short of making a play on the puck or finishing a check. I watched him pretty closely last night and he completed two passes all game, plus he made this play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=JTKHlNKLtQ0
Otherwise he was a liability. They have been using him at the point on the power play, but he spends 75% of the time down below the faceoff dots, leaving the only dman on the ice alone at the blue line. To be fair, maybe that is the system they are running with him, but the Royals often use Yannick Tifu at the point on the other power play unit and he generally stays at the point, using his stickhandling skills to outmaneuver the penalty killer and get an open passing/shooting lane.

We've had lots of players come through Reading who were clearly talented enough to play in the NHL, or who were obviously ready for the AHL - Galiev doesn't look like he is ready for the ECHL

royals119 is offline   Reply With Quote