Notices

NHL 13 & General Video Game Discussion Part Quatre

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
I can't justify buying physical media anymore. In 5-10 years, most everything will be downloadable. Plus, I don't have room for more crap.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
Whats that terabyte hard drive labeled 'pronz' doing next to your computer?

Old
11-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

vCash: 500
There's a black friday deal to get a Vita and a game... I'm really, REALLY tempted by that...

So many old PS1 era games that I could play on the go, plus it's starting to get some great games on it's own. Persona 4 looks aaaaaaaaaaaaamazing....

I just don't know if I can 1. convince the fiance to let it slide and 2. justify the extra's that I know I'll need to buy...

*groan*

Old
11-17-2012, 05:43 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
There's a black friday deal to get a Vita and a game... I'm really, REALLY tempted by that...

So many old PS1 era games that I could play on the go, plus it's starting to get some great games on it's own. Persona 4 looks aaaaaaaaaaaaamazing....

I just don't know if I can 1. convince the fiance to let it slide and 2. justify the extra's that I know I'll need to buy...

*groan*
Here's my take on Vita as someone with both a Vita and a 3DS:

Vita's a fantastic piece of hardware but I'm not super impressed by the software yet. A lot of the games have been so close to console quality that the little ways they fall short really show in comparison. E.g., Need for Speed Most Wanted is almost a pixel-for-pixel port of the console game which is an incredible accomplishment...except there's only like 10% of the traffic because it can't render as many cars, so you're basically just driving around near-empty streets.

Uncharted feels very much the same way. When developers start making games that use the Vita's power without trying to scale down console engines it will be spectacular. As it stands now, though, the 3DS has a much stronger software lineup, because games are generally designed around the system rather than shoehorned onto it. (And also because Nintendo is probably the best and most experienced portable game developer in the world.)

Also: PS1 games are pretty great, but you won't be able to fit many onto the tiny, expensive memory cards. But yeah Castlevania SotN on Vita is awesome.

In other news, Wii U comes out tomorrow, and as far as I can tell, no one gives a ****. I've literally bought every Nintendo console since I was born within a month of it coming out, and I'm not even remotely interested. Sure hope Nintendo shapes the **** up and starts showing off some real, deep software soon.

Old
11-17-2012, 07:24 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Also: PS1 games are pretty great, but you won't be able to fit many onto the tiny, expensive memory cards. But yeah Castlevania SotN on Vita is awesome.

In other news, Wii U comes out tomorrow, and as far as I can tell, no one gives a ****. I've literally bought every Nintendo console since I was born within a month of it coming out, and I'm not even remotely interested. Sure hope Nintendo shapes the **** up and starts showing off some real, deep software soon.
The average PS1 game is less than 100mb. An 8GB memory card (which I'm pretty sure is the smallest they have) could hold nearly 80 PS1 games. A massive PS1 game like FFVIII (spanned 4 cds) is still less than 2gb.

Old
11-17-2012, 08:03 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The average PS1 game is less than 100mb. An 8GB memory card (which I'm pretty sure is the smallest they have) could hold nearly 80 PS1 games. A massive PS1 game like FFVIII (spanned 4 cds) is still less than 2gb.
Well I have one and between three PS1 games, a handful of Vita game demos, and game installs and saves, I've pushed up against the limit of my 8GB card several times. FF8 takes up 1.8GB, Metal Gear Solid takes up 780MB, and Castlevania takes up 350MB. Don't forget, drive formatting, OS, and other overhead mean you don't get the full 8GB and games can come out bigger than the original ISOs.

(Also, 4GB is the smallest.)

Putting all software on the PSN store from day one was absolutely brilliant of them. But not including a bunch of onboard memory––and then compounding the issue by not letting people use cheap SD cards––is going to lose Sony a ton of money in the long run.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:34 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
I want FFVII redone

Old
11-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

IMO, It's only a matter of time before Nintendo goes the route of Sega and bows out of the console game.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Avder
Is only game.

Depends how successful the WiiU is

Old
11-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Here's my take on Vita as someone with both a Vita and a 3DS:

Vita's a fantastic piece of hardware but I'm not super impressed by the software yet. A lot of the games have been so close to console quality that the little ways they fall short really show in comparison. E.g., Need for Speed Most Wanted is almost a pixel-for-pixel port of the console game which is an incredible accomplishment...except there's only like 10% of the traffic because it can't render as many cars, so you're basically just driving around near-empty streets.

Uncharted feels very much the same way. When developers start making games that use the Vita's power without trying to scale down console engines it will be spectacular. As it stands now, though, the 3DS has a much stronger software lineup, because games are generally designed around the system rather than shoehorned onto it. (And also because Nintendo is probably the best and most experienced portable game developer in the world.)

Thanks for the feedback! I bought a PSP way back when (got a PSP-1000) on the promise of potential. And while it never took off like I had hoped, it still has TONS of good games if you look hard enough.

It seems like the Vita is just that next step, and from some of the gaming podcasts I listen to, there are a lot of underrated games already out for the Vita. I think I'm going to try to go for it... Just a matter of convincing a certain someone to toss that money away.

Sometimes being almost married sucks.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I want FFVII redone
I want a prequel to Final Fantasy Tactics =)

Old
11-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Are you going to buy one? If so, I'm curious why.

Nintendo got lucky with the Wii. They created a cheap to build, gimmicky console that appealed to non-gamers. The majority of those people now have their Wii shoved in a closet. The only reason for the Wii's success was due to its simplicity and mass-market appeal. Unfortunately, Nintendo put the majority of the money made from Wii's into developing the WiiU. If this fails, they'll be hurting.

Who does the WiiU even appeal to? It's a confusing product that lacks marketability. What is the WiiU anyways? A console? A tablet? A handheld? That's the downfall; it's trying to be too many things and succeeding at none.

The only people I can see buying a WiiU are die-hard Nintendo fans, but I'm not sure there are enough of those people around to support Nintendo's development of another console - especially when they smother third-party developers, and their first-party franchises are more stale than the crackers in my pantry.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:08 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Are you going to buy one? If so, I'm curious why.

Nintendo got lucky with the Wii. They created a cheap to build, gimmicky console that appealed to non-gamers. The majority of those people now have their Wii shoved in a closet. The only reason for the Wii's success was due to its simplicity and mass-market appeal. Unfortunately, Nintendo put the majority of the money made from Wii's into developing the WiiU. If this fails, they'll be hurting.

Who does the WiiU even appeal to? It's a confusing product that lacks marketability. What is the WiiU anyways? A console? A tablet? A handheld? That's the downfall; it's trying to be too many things and succeeding at none.

The only people I can see buying a WiiU are die-hard Nintendo fans, but I'm not sure there are enough of those people around to support Nintendo's development of another console - especially when they smother third-party developers, and their first-party franchises are more stale than the crackers in my pantry.
I think that's a bit harsh, as the Wii had a lot of really, really high-quality games. Granted, they were all published by Nintendo, but they were some of the best games of the last generation. They justified the (low) cost of the system as a second console alongside a 360 or PS3, particularly for folks who play local multiplayer.

That said, I agree. The Wii U is a confusing product. The Wii was obvious; the appeal was "look at this magic wand." The Wii U has about a bajillion different control options:

- Gamepad (the tablet)
- Wii U Pro Controller (basically a 360 controller)
- Wii Remote Plus
- Wii Remote
- Wii Remote w/ Nunchuck
- Wii Remote w/ Classic Controller
- Wii Balance Board

And there's no consistency across games as to which will be supported. For instance, New Super Mario Bros. U requires the Gamepad when playing single player, but won't let you use the Gamepad in multiplayer; where each player must have a Wii Remote. (Not even the new Wii U Pro Controller will do!)

And what's worse, the UI and system design are half-baked, which is becoming pretty typical of Nintendo these days. The Video Chat doesn't work without returning to the system menu and booting up. Existing Wii games and VC games are stuck inside a Wii emulator that you have to boot into specifically from the menu, with its own memory (which is the only portion of the system capable of using the SD slot). The Gamepad has a headset jack for online play, but the Pro Controller doesn't. (And in typical Nintendo fashion, plugging a headset into the Gamepad and leaving it otherwise unused on the couch next to you is considered an adequate solution.) Only some games support TV-off mode (where you can play on the Gamepad without the TV). No achievements system, despite repeatedly saying there would be one.

All that said, apparently the Gamepad actually works really well, has come cool applications, and is really comfortable and fun to use. So I'm guessing this will turn out sort of like the Wii, which was worth the price for games like Smash and Mario Galaxy, but which was more alongside, rather than actually competing with, the 360 and PS3.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:40 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

SW:ToR is now free to play. There's restrictions (like limited number of fast travel uses per day, etc) for free players but you don't have to buy the software or anything.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
I want FFVII redone
This. Should have come already years ago

Old
11-19-2012, 06:01 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
SW:ToR is now free to play. There's restrictions (like limited number of fast travel uses per day, etc) for free players but you don't have to buy the software or anything.
I'll probably check it out after I finish up KOTOR 1 & 2. So probably in Early January or so.

As for the Wii U, I just don't see it having the same success. The Wii was new to everyone with the way it handled motion controls. Some family bought one for their kid and then they see him jumping up and down playing it and tell their friends and it just exploded like that. Then nobody played it. It was a tired gimmick that people got over real quick. Then kinect and move came out, and everyone has their own version.

Talking to people at work who aren't in to games, they think the Wii U is just an updated/re-released Wii. They think they'll be able to buy that controller and use it with their Wii. Nintendo really messed up with the name. Wii 2 would have worked. Super Wii would have worked. Wii 64. Wii Cube. Anything. Wii U seriously sounds like just an upgrade.

I don't expect it to have a long term success. People on podcasts talk like its going to be super hard to find for months at a time like the Wii and I just don't see it. Maybe at first, but I don't think it will be sustainable like the Wii was.

Add in the fact that there is seriously 0 marketing for the thing, and hardly anyone even knows it exists. I remember seeing those Wii commercials with the Japanese dudes rolling around in that little white car showing up at peoples houses to play Wii. Then the thing exploded and advertising was no longer needed. Hey Nintendo, you kind of need to advertise the new console. People have no clue what it is.

Good luck though, Nintendo. If they succeed, I'm sure it will only push Microsoft and Sony harder for next year and the next generation. Hopefully everything works out well.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:23 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

The Wii U was designed for Japan and around a specific situation that really only applies to Japan. Whether developers stick to that or not will determine whether or not is succeeds in North America and Europe.

It has a decent shot because it managed to slot in as a late 7th generation console. Despite the attempts to hype it and classify it as such, it is not an 8th generation console (Orbis and Durango are). Orbis is not going to be out until 2014 at the very earliest while Durango seems to be slated for late 2013 at the moment. If Nintendo can get enough of an installed base during that lull (which is when they'll get true cross-platform titles) the console should be successful.

Back to the Japan issue though, the console was designed around the idea that games could be played on the TV, then taken back on the gamepad without the need for the TV. This is a result of the unique situation of housing in Japan. In North America, we seem to take for granted the idea that a house will have more than one television. I can play a PS3 game and my wife can watch her movie or TV show on a different TV. That's often not the case in Japan because of how small their housing tends to be (which is what happens when you have nearly 130 million people in a nation about the size of Minnesota and Wisconsin combined). Will developers focus on the use of the gamepad as a portable screen, thereby making games that are not meaningfully different from those on Sony and Microsoft's systems, or will they embrace the tablet aspects of the controller (like Zombie U's keypad opening) that would force users to have TV access at all times, but provide a unique gaming experience? If the former occurs, I don't see the Wii U catching on significantly outside of Japan. If it's the latter, Nintendo might be able to eek out success despite a shrinking niche (Microsoft's tablet support and Sony's simultaneous use screens).

Old
11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Avder
Is only game.

So... Unreal is a very, very long game. Apparently I'm only about 2/3 of the way through it and I've been playing since... uh... a little over a week. And I've been playing it quite a bit longer every night than I usually give myself for gaming, so, that's a pretty long singleplayer game.

Some of these levels are FRIGGIN HUGE, man.

And damn, the weapons... so fun! SO much fun! Makes me really wish the series had spawned more single player games instead of going pretty much pure multiplayer... oh well.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:53 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Does anyone else on here play Guild Wars 2?

Old
11-19-2012, 08:33 PM
tomgilbertfan
gifs on gifs on gifs

Adam Sessler pretty well Sums up my thoughts on the WiiU

Old
11-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
NHL 13 really got it's physics spot on.

Old
11-20-2012, 05:34 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Had an interesting EASHL game yesterday...

The game-winning goal at the last minute... of 5th OT.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I can't justify buying physical media anymore. In 5-10 years, most everything will be downloadable. Plus, I don't have room for more crap.
I haven't burned a DVD in a long time. I have multiple hard drives and now have them hooked up to a wireless home network so everything can be accessed remotely by any device on the network.

Hell my Macbook doesn't even have a DVD drive. One less thing to break. I do have a $30 external that is used for ripping movies though, which are compressed down to 1-1.5GB and put on the wireless drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Whats that terabyte hard drive labeled 'pronz' doing next to your computer?
Streaming internet video has saved me so many GB of space.

Quote:
I want FFVII redone
You and the rest of the world...there are so many great older games I want to replay that are kind of lost right now. The great games for NES, SNES, PSX, N64, Gamecube, etc. It just sucks because if you want to play them all you have to spend a fortune on virtual games and have multiple consoles.

Hopefully sometime soon someone develops a cheap sub-$100 media PC. There are so many devices out there that have the physical specs but can't run a proper OS...and there are lots of media PC's that have more than necessary physical specs and run a proper OS but are big/noisy/expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I just really want Nintendo to become a software developer. It's clear Sony and Microsoft are going to continue to build good consoles that branch off PC design and neither are going away soon. Nintendo is just off in their own world. The Wii was outdated upon release and the WiiU will be outdated fairly quickly.

Old Nintendo games on the PS3/360 would be sweet. Then Nintendo just focuses on developing solid first party games for a much wider user base. And refocus their efforts on handheld gaming (great as phone games are, nothing beats buttons for many games).

Old
11-20-2012, 09:24 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Hopefully sometime soon someone develops a cheap sub-$100 media PC. There are so many devices out there that have the physical specs but can't run a proper OS...and there are lots of media PC's that have more than necessary physical specs and run a proper OS but are big/noisy/expensive.
$25 good enough?

Old
11-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
WOAH. Any feedback on that? Definitely interested in that! I feel a time sink coming on...

Hill climb racer is a fun little game.

Closed Thread