HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bryan Berard and What could have been

Old
11-18-2012, 03:59 AM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
He had a bad attitude.

Refused to play for the Senators and got caught for 'roids. Generally guys who are ***** like that have karma come back to get them.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:16 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
He had a bad attitude.

Refused to play for the Senators and got caught for 'roids. Generally guys who are ***** like that have karma come back to get them.
you know, it's hard to not to look at how berard's, lindros', comrie's, and to a lesser degree yashin's and heatley's careers all turned out and call it karma.

watch your back cody hodgson, hockey gods are not pleased.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:39 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
He had a bad attitude.

Oh get out of here... he tested positive for a PED while trying to come back from such a severe injury? You don't say...

As for refusing to play... I wouldn't play for the Sens either

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:55 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Eh Phillips definitely was first round material. Didn't end up being top 10 pick worthy, yet alone #1 pick worthy, but he was a solid stay-at-home dman for most of his career and was a top pairing guy for a good while. We see far worse dmen then Phillips going first round, and even early first, every year.
In the 1996 draft, he's definitely a top-10 pick. Possibly 2nd after Chara. the only other players who even have a case, in retrospect, to be picked before Phillips are Kaberle, Kubina and Briere, and I wouldn't take any over him.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:34 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
A few years ago someone suggested that if he had stayed healthy he would have had a Larry Murphy type career

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:09 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Oh get out of here... he tested positive for a PED while trying to come back from such a severe injury? You don't say...

As for refusing to play... I wouldn't play for the Sens either
So its ok to cheat because you have an injury? No, Berard was a *******, bad personality too. A primadonna, atleast before the eye injury.

You dont refuse to play for a team that have given you the privilage and oppurtunity to play in the best league in the world. You earn your right to refuse when playing in said league. Karma really did get this guy and got him good.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:24 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
So its ok to cheat because you have an injury?
he should have gone to germany and had his blood taken out, then heated and shaken up in a centrifuge, and put back in. nice and legal.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:45 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
you know, it's hard to not to look at how berard's, lindros', comrie's, and to a lesser degree yashin's and heatley's careers all turned out and call it karma.

watch your back cody hodgson, hockey gods are not pleased.
Lindros as in the likely future Hall of Famer? If that's all karma has, I doubt he's too worried.

And if you do believe in karma, just wait for the good fortune that falls upon him after he donated five million from his own pocket the day he announced his retirement.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Lindros as in the likely future Hall of Famer? If that's all karma has, I doubt he's too worried.

And if you do believe in karma, just wait for the good fortune that falls upon him after he donated five million from his own pocket the day he announced his retirement.
i was joking with the karma thing. but here's something to think about:

i like to make the comparison between lindros and shaq, because they turned pro at around the same time, had comparable possible-GOAT hype (relative to their sports' level of media coverage), and were both the most dominating physical forces we had seen in a long long time, perhaps ever (contenders would be wilt in basketball, howe in hockey). shaq also partly due to his own decisions (conditioning, rarely working to better himself and coasting on his physical gifts, openly feuding with both penny and kobe) never came through on his potential.

but you've actually brought to my mind a better comparison. because shaq is still one of the 12 greatest basketball players of all time, and maybe even as high as 8th. he won four titles and three finals MVPs. lindros doesn't come close to that. lindros, i'd compare to chris webber.

and this is what bill simmons once had to say about webber: (i'm paraphrasing)-- "webber had a great career, borderline HOF. a defining player at his position and of all time. he made $200 million over his career and was a first team all-star, MVP candidate, etc. etc. so i have my doubts whether webber regrets any of the decisions he made in the first years of his career that could have altered the course of his career, that could have given him an ideal roster to start on and may have gotten him some rings. but if there are never moments at 3:00 AM in the morning where webber can't get to sleep and is tossing and turning in his bed wondering 'what if,' and thinking about how he could have been a top 10 player of all time, then that tells us everything we need to know about chris webber."

so that's lindros too. if lindros, as you say, isn't "too worried" about how his career turned out, then that puts his quebec decision into relief: maybe hockey and winning weren't number one for him. and maybe that's why he kept playing in the NHL the way he played in the OHL and just trying to barrel through guys even though the OHL didn't have devastating hitters like stevens or kasparaitis and someone like gretzky would have spent entire off-seasons working on adapting his game for the pro level. maybe that's why lifestyle considerations trumped going to a team many many people thought had the potential to be a future dynasty (and as it turns was a powerhouse anyway).

but all that said, knowing what i think about eric lindros the man, i'd guess that the way his career turned out eats him up inside.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:27 AM
thom

Erik will be in the hall in the future he's another player who will have to wait.He was big time when he came into league commercials had it all.Made some errors in judgement and like his brother had concussion ptoblems.When said and done will be in hall

thom is offline   Reply With Quote