Notices

Blake Wheeler Appreciation Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 03:09 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Blake Wheeler Appreciation Thread

oops....sorry folks....had this ready to go for tonight in my THREAD STARTER LIST/(I need attention list)

yup, without the lockout I'm probably at Jaci's bar right about now watching a little college football getting ready for the return of former Bruins and current Jets point-forward extrodinaire Blake 'the Fake' Wheeler. Nothing like seeing a bar full of Bruins jerseys covering about a dozen names past and present

bummah.....nice crisp autumn night and Wheeler, Kane, Burmistrov and the boys in town...instead

I never thought I'd say it but I long for the days of defending Wheeler and even Sobotka agains the evil HF crowd

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Loved Sobotka. Tiny guy that played like he was the biggest in the league

....... Everyone hear that Whistle just now? Wheeler's offsides

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
If the puck carrier passed the puck over the blueline instead of trying to carry it over there would be no off side.

Here we go!

Blame Dan okay!?

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:19 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
stiff

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:37 PM
gorskic
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to gorskic Send a message via Yahoo to gorskic
Do I get to start my Hal Gill appreciation thread now?

gorskic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Spoked-B

Unless he ever bad-mouths the Bruins, will always be a Wheeler fan. Thought he got way too much grief around here and I'm glad he's doing well in WPG.

Spoked-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:55 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Sobotka sucks, Shawn Thornton has more goals than Sobotka in the last two seasons.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Alicat
Charge!

God damn you Blake Wheeler!

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Blake Wheeler. Great size, skillset... Vacant between the ears.

I liked him, even though he frustrated me. Stuart, I loved.

But that trade was the one sealed the deal in convincing me that the Bruins were Cup-bound. And I'll never feel regretful about it.

Good to see both guys finding success with the Jets.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Shaun
beauty

Sobotka and Wheeler both suck. I'd rather have a Trent Whitfield appreciation thread and I hate Trent Whitfield.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Braunbaer
Braunbär

vCash: 200
I like Wheels and I'm lookin forward to watching him play in December.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:58 AM
SpokedLightning
3rd Line Grinder

vCash: 167
My fondest memory of Wheels was the last home game of the season vs Carolina a couple of seasons ago. (( the 3 shorty game)) After the game the players were throwing t shirts to the fans and Blake couldn't get his over the net. He must have thrown the damn thing 4 times before he made it.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Wheeler was not a dumb player. You can't be a dumb player and be as solid as Wheels can be defensively. His problem in Boston is that Boston has certain expectations of what a player is supposed to look like when they happen to be over a certain height, and Wheeler just didn't have the mindset to use his size the way the Bruins wanted him to. A more laissez-faire environment that allowed him to use his actual skillset instead of the skillset people expect of a 6'4" wing in Boston, it's no shock to me he's thriving.

What Wheeler is: A skill wing with very good skating ability and above average hands, and a skilled defensive wing, who also happens to be a big man who can use his size in his skill game to make it harder to take him off the puck

What Wheeler never will be, and what Boston expected him to be: A power forward.

That's pretty much the end of it. Wheeler is not a PF, simple as that. Short-sighted Bruins fans and apparently at least a few in the FO (Neely?) demanded that with his size, he really ought to be a PF, and when he tried to be a PF to please us it took him off his game and he struggled. I said it for years while he was here, allow him to play his actual game, which is a more European style skill-first big man game that focuses on skating over banging bodies, and he's going to do a lot better -- and lo and behold, that's exactly what happened.

People are annoyed with him for only coming into his own when he left Boston; it was because he left Boston that he was ever allowed to come into his own.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:05 AM
DKH

anyone get to see the interview on NESN with Neely and Dennis Leary last night. Besides being very funny-Leary was hilarious talking about watching the OHL-Russia game and Seguin in Switzerland. (Seguin looks like he is having fun over there and looks faster than I ever remember; NHL network would be wise to do one of their 48's or whatever they call it hanging with Seguin and Kane; I can't believe these two are not starting to sniff around the area a bit as they become more acclimated)

the thing that stood out to me is my guy Cam has put on some serious poundage- wow, hope this is just the camera adding (quite) a few pounds. Cam we need you here for another 30 years

he did not look all that happy talking about the lockout and pretty much let Leary do it which was better anyways

Old
11-18-2012, 08:02 AM
ODAAT

Wheels seemed like a good locker room guy, but man, he had me pulling my already thinning hair out as much as Ryder used to, Blake with his constant offsides, Ryder with his love of trying to stickhandle around 5 opponents. Glad both had nice years last year, don't miss either in spiked B uni's

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

Blake Wheeler. Great size, skillset... Vacant between the ears.

I liked him, even though he frustrated me. Stuart, I loved.

But that trade was the one sealed the deal in convincing me that the Bruins were Cup-bound. And I'll never feel regretful about it.

Good to see both guys finding success with the Jets.
Agreed. Best to both of them, and to Marco Sturm and Vladimir Sobotka as well. They gave it all they had.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:38 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

They misused Ryder here and Wheeler was a misfit in this system.I think the offsides is exaggerated. Wheeler's got 70 points in him in the right situation (Atlanta). Ryder may have peaked last year so going forward 30 might be his best,before the train derails permanently.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Trap Jesus

I still can't stand Wheeler. I don't think I've disliked a Bruins player more than him in a long time. I really don't get how a guy with no hockey sense led the Jets in assists.

I still love Sobotka though. Thankfully he went to a team I can cheer for.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:44 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
They misused Ryder here and Wheeler was a misfit in this system.I think the offsides is exaggerated. Wheeler's got 70 points in him in the right situation (Atlanta). Ryder may have peaked last year so going forward 30 might be his best,before the train derails permanently.
They misused Ryder here? How is that? By putting him on the first line with Savard?

He had some success with Krejci one year and then the next year it was like he had no idea how to play with Krejci.

That is just how Ryder is, all you have to do is look at his time in Montreal, his time in Boston, and now if he has an off year in Dallas it will follow Ryder's M.O. exactly.

The Bruins didn't misuse Ryder, Ryder had one good year and then only was good in the playoffs.

Wheeler just needed time to reach his potential, we all saw glipses of it here.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Wheeler was not a dumb player. You can't be a dumb player and be as solid as Wheels can be defensively. His problem in Boston is that Boston has certain expectations of what a player is supposed to look like when they happen to be over a certain height, and Wheeler just didn't have the mindset to use his size the way the Bruins wanted him to. A more laissez-faire environment that allowed him to use his actual skillset instead of the skillset people expect of a 6'4" wing in Boston, it's no shock to me he's thriving.

What Wheeler is: A skill wing with very good skating ability and above average hands, and a skilled defensive wing, who also happens to be a big man who can use his size in his skill game to make it harder to take him off the puck

What Wheeler never will be, and what Boston expected him to be: A power forward.

That's pretty much the end of it. Wheeler is not a PF, simple as that. Short-sighted Bruins fans and apparently at least a few in the FO (Neely?) demanded that with his size, he really ought to be a PF, and when he tried to be a PF to please us it took him off his game and he struggled. I said it for years while he was here, allow him to play his actual game, which is a more European style skill-first big man game that focuses on skating over banging bodies, and he's going to do a lot better -- and lo and behold, that's exactly what happened.

People are annoyed with him for only coming into his own when he left Boston; it was because he left Boston that he was ever allowed to come into his own.
With this post, Dojji puts himself ahead of the rest of us fans AND Cam Neely.

Not realizing, of course, that he is almost entirely WRONG. And that such arrogance makes him look like Dojji often looks.

Sorry, man. Like I said, I liked Wheeler (still do). But he got flack from a fan base who was constantly frustrated at his inability to make consistently sound decisions on the ice - mostly with the puck on his stick.

The only time I ever mentioned his "toughness" in any negative light, was when he threw a particularly nasty hit and was challenged to the price for it... And he turtled.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:50 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I still can't stand Wheeler. I don't think I've disliked a Bruins player more than him in a long time. I really don't get how a guy with no hockey sense led the Jets in assists.

I still love Sobotka though. Thankfully he went to a team I can cheer for.
I am the exact opposite, I love Wheeler and I accept the kind of player he is. Sobotka, man I just don't get it. If the Bruins still had him he would be at best the 13th forward. Sure he looks like he could be a good player and a good scorer at times, but Paille does too and Paille is a lot better than Sobotka. Sobotka looked good while accomplishing nothing, Wheeler looked bad while accomplishing 10 times as much as Sobotka.

I am more interested in the results with these guys and Wheeler is just 10 times the player Sobotka is.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:55 AM
DKH

What is head scratching to me is how good both Ryder and Wheeler were with their new teams. Wheeler went on a run for about 50 games where he was close to a point a game. That first year with Krejci and Ryder he had some big moments and showed pretty good skills on some of those goals- wasnt he even in the All Star rookie game?

As for Ryder, I am going to guess and say he must have changed up his training because he looked quicker, sleeker, better- 35 goals is not luck; and when I watched the games he was clearly better player than his days in Boston. Maybe I'm imagining things but that is my take. One thing though, Ryder went out as good as can be- that line with Kelly and Peverley when you step back a year or two for a third line is very strong and well above average in both hockey sense and defensively.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:00 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
They misused Ryder here? How is that? By putting him on the first line with Savard?

He had some success with Krejci one year and then the next year it was like he had no idea how to play with Krejci.

That is just how Ryder is, all you have to do is look at his time in Montreal, his time in Boston, and now if he has an off year in Dallas it will follow Ryder's M.O. exactly.

The Bruins didn't misuse Ryder, Ryder had one good year and then only was good in the playoffs.

Wheeler just needed time to reach his potential, we all saw glipses of it here.
What was Ryder's TOI/PPTOI in Montreal when he scored 30? If a player scores 30 with 3.5-4 PPmins TOI,then you give him 2.3,what do you expect to happen?

Old
11-18-2012, 11:02 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
What is head scratching to me is how good both Ryder and Wheeler were with their new teams. Wheeler went on a run for about 50 games where he was close to a point a game. That first year with Krejci and Ryder he had some big moments and showed pretty good skills on some of those goals- wasnt he even in the All Star rookie game?

As for Ryder, I am going to guess and say he must have changed up his training because he looked quicker, sleeker, better- 35 goals is not luck; and when I watched the games he was clearly better player than his days in Boston. Maybe I'm imagining things but that is my take. One thing though, Ryder went out as good as can be- that line with Kelly and Peverley when you step back a year or two for a third line is very strong and well above average in both hockey sense and defensively.
For both players I'd just say it was how they were used,and in Wheeler's case it was the system also. He just doesn't fit in this system. Ryder needs the shots,maybe top 5 in the league snapshot,so he needs a deliveryman on the PP and ES.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:39 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
What was Ryder's TOI/PPTOI in Montreal when he scored 30? If a player scores 30 with 3.5-4 PPmins TOI,then you give him 2.3,what do you expect to happen?
Ryder started out on the top line with Savard, he didn't do anything, he was demoted.