HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

The Lockout Thread: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Old
11-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity404 View Post
Huh? What did Semin say? Did I miss something?
Read the last couple of posts of the Checkers thread.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Oenatzu
#DirectorOfDreams

vCash: 500
I'm getting optimistic about the lockout ending 'cause I heard Dubinchuk say that Semin said that JR said so.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenatzu View Post
I'm getting optimistic about the lockout ending 'cause I heard Dubinchuk say that Semin said that JR said so.
I'm optimistic about the lockout ending simply because you are, friend!

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:04 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/86...d-straight-day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Daly
"We do not intend to comment on the substance or subject matter of today's negotiations."
Do you think this means that they're making serious progress, and they don't want to tell us in case the media blows it out of proportion? Or am I just being a wishful thinker?

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Sad King Jimmy
Look up, Hannah

vCash: 50
I'm taking it as a good sign, since it seems like every other time they come out and say "We're not even speaking the same language" or something similar.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Apparently, the "Making whole" part of the new CBA, which is rightfully honoring the contracts from the last one, still isn't enough to warrant a partial season. Fehr has made some effective negotiations thusfar, but he's starting to get carried away. This is assuming that the 50/50 revenue split is still in tact from the last proposal. The players are worse off losing a whole season to the owners, and I just don't think theres much more to offer to the NHLPA.

Yes We Cam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:12 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/86...d-straight-day

Do you think this means that they're making serious progress, and they don't want to tell us in case the media blows it out of proportion? Or am I just being a wishful thinker?
It means they're trying to hide the details of their discussions, which is a sure sign that those details are valuable. So yes, it does mean progress.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

If JR is at the game tonight or tomorrow I will make it a point to bump into him again.

I love my new seats. Only cost me 4 dollars for the entire season to move up.

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Had a dream last night, went something like this:

Lockout over. I instantly teleport to opening night against the Rangers. Stepan scores on us a minute in after we already had hit the post. Then we score, but it goes under review and is taken away. Then the Rangers score two more quickly and I leave.

Make of it what you will.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:05 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Well about this time one year ago the NBA reached a deal ending their lockout.

Ball (or puck) is in your court NHL. End this soon.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:39 AM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Had a dream last night, went something like this:

Lockout over. I instantly teleport to opening night against the Rangers. Stepan scores on us a minute in after we already had hit the post. Then we score, but it goes under review and is taken away. Then the Rangers score two more quickly and I leave.

Make of it what you will.
We may have lost (or appeared headed that way, anyway), but at least we played. Your dream world needs to become reality... for all of our sakes.

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:50 AM
InjuredChoker

Posted this on the main forum too but anyway

Jussi Jokinen thinks we aren't going to play this season. For what it's worth.

Quote:
I have a feeling that we aren't going to play this season. I hope I'm wrong though, from the bottom of my heart.
Thinks players are holding together well, very united. Doesn't say much else.

http://www.jatkoaika.com/Haastattelu...audella/108113

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

It's so relieving to see such a humble player seem so unphased about the money situation and who's just ready to play some hockey.

Yes We Cam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:13 PM
geehaad

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...t-go-away-gary

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
So, because Bettman is trying to tweak his current system, he needs to step down?

I've always been confused when people suggest that Bettman should be fired because of 3 lockouts, as the implication is that he should just roll over and cave to the NHLPA's demands to ensure a hockey season.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:38 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
So, because Bettman is trying to tweak his current system, he needs to step down?

I've always been confused when people suggest that Bettman should be fired because of 3 lockouts, as the implication is that he should just roll over and cave to the NHLPA's demands to ensure a hockey season.
Yeah, why blame his putrid performance as a commissioner solely on all of the work stoppages when he has so many other failings that should have gotten him fired years ago?

Old
11-18-2012, 03:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Because these work stoppages aren't due to him, the last two are due to the people that he represents: the owners. If they didn't approve of what he was doing in how these lockouts were being handled he would have been long gone shortly after an agreement had been reached in 05. Didn't happen and instead he got a pretty hefty raise.

And let's not pretend that Fehr doesn't shoulder a significant amount of blame for this as well. He's the one that started the whole stall tactic mess in the first place when he took over as head of the PA. The NHL offered to open their books with him so that negotiations could begin as soon as possible. Instead he delayed as long as possible leading to a very limited time frame to get a lot done, leading to the start of this lockout. In short we're just now getting to the point where the league's been locked out for as long as Fehr was delaying negotiations upon being named PA head. And we're nowhere near that same amount of actual season lost yet. And this is coming from someone that's not exactly a Bettman apologist in the least.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:24 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Seriously after watching that Panthers game I have never been more wanting this lockout to end than now.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:42 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Because these work stoppages aren't due to him, the last two are due to the people that he represents: the owners. If they didn't approve of what he was doing in how these lockouts were being handled he would have been long gone shortly after an agreement had been reached in 05. Didn't happen and instead he got a pretty hefty raise.

And let's not pretend that Fehr doesn't shoulder a significant amount of blame for this as well. He's the one that started the whole stall tactic mess in the first place when he took over as head of the PA. The NHL offered to open their books with him so that negotiations could begin as soon as possible. Instead he delayed as long as possible leading to a very limited time frame to get a lot done, leading to the start of this lockout. In short we're just now getting to the point where the league's been locked out for as long as Fehr was delaying negotiations upon being named PA head. And we're nowhere near that same amount of actual season lost yet. And this is coming from someone that's not exactly a Bettman apologist in the least.
Yeah...I don't give a **** about this lockout. I want him fired for every other dumb ass thing he's done as commissioner.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:16 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Bettman is an elite commissioner

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I am very thankful that throughout this whole mess, to my knowledge no one from the Canes on the owner or player side has said anything stupid in the media ala White, Versteeg, etc. It will make it a lot easier to forgive and forget in the future if that continues.

11-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I will never say anything bad about Bettman. If not for his willingness to expand into unconventional markets, we wouldn't even have a team. Bettman has been supportive of this market, to say the very least, by allowing us to hold NHL events like the All Star Game and NHL Draft to create buzz around the area. As odd as it is to say, without Bettman there is probably no me as a fan. And as much as that may be to the chagrin of the lot of ya, I am pretty glad I found this sport. As evil as what went down in Hartford was, I fully believe it was conspired between Bettman and Karmanos as two guys who saw promise in this area and untapped potential.

I hate this game of chicken as much as anybody, but I really don't think that Bettman has ever done anything to intentionally hurt the league. These CBA's have been poorly constructed on both sides and the owners and players both share a part in that fault. Unfortunately, the SUCCESS of the NHL is the reason there is no hockey right now.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
And it's ridiculous how many franchises that Bettman has "saved" by refusing to allow poachers to make the NHL a traveling road show of ten year leases and instability. He floated Buffalo during their ownership debacle. He kept Pittsburgh afloat when the threat was incredibly real that they would lose their team. He kept his finger on the pulse of the Islanders so they would be safe to stay on the Island (or near it depending upon who you talk to). It goes right down the line. All these people that argue that overexpansion is a Bettman problem need to realize that along with the Coyotes, Blue Jackets, and Panthers of the league.... we would have lost those teams as well under a more fiscally cut and dry commish. While I personally abhor two of the three teams that Bettman has vetted, I value their history and meaning to the league. Yes, every one of those teams needed a white knight to emerge and save them financially but Bettman brokered those deals to avoid the fly by night operations that wanted to set up a new joint in Oklahoma City or Las Vegas or GTA or whatever hot spot location. I feel like he failed the Thrashers, but that situation got out of control so quickly that I am not entirely certain that WAS a way to reasonably save those guys and the demand for a team in Winnipeg was incredibly high.

There will come a day when our franchise needs a savior too. And when that day comes, I hope there is a guy like Bettman in charge to make sure that the preservation of all 30 franchises is the goal instead of the quickest means to make a positive mark on the financial ledger.

The people complaining about Bettman from around here, if you can forgive the political analogy, are like fiscal conservatives that utilize government initiatives set up by liberal politicians and in the same breath bemoan their existence and utilization by others.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Joe McGrath

Thanks Vagrant for the well thought out, eloquent post. My retort was going to be the much less effective "Bettman took my team out of my backyard and put them in your backyard so shut the **** up"

Of all the fan bases that could gripe about things Bettman has done, I'd say this one is near the bottom for having much to complain about.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:22 PM
bleedgreen

I've long resented Bettman for his role in me losing my team. I feel he played a significant role in it happening, and for that I still even now get a little angry when I see him on video. I was generally against expansion to the southern areas, though not to the obnoxious extent of others. I long ago accepted that and have no problem with it generally now. I get angry at Bettman for not admitting enough is enough with a few of these teams, he is loathe to admit he is wrong and go back and do something like he did with Winnipeg.

Regardless, I think he is a very strong leader and that the league has grown greatly under him. I never doubt that he is three steps ahead of everyone in every single argument from all angles or topics when it comes to the league. He is steadfast and unwavering. He is the perfect man to represent the owners and does an impressive job leaving a wide enough shadow for them to hide behind. The players attacking him look like rubes and imbeciles. They are bringing harsh language to a gun fight.

I believe Bettman has the leagues best interests at heart when he fights, whether I agree with his pov or not. I could never say the same about fehr.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote