HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Ian White calls Bettman "an idiot."

Old
11-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

vCash: 500
Ian White calls Bettman "an idiot."

Source: TSN

These players should really just shut their mouths. Name-calling and finger-pointing only makes them look like fools.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:24 AM
lazerbullet

Well... White made some good points obviously. But yeah... name-calling is not the best way handle things. Especially if you are a cattle.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Nick0930

White wouldn't be making $3 million a year if it wasn't for Bettman. What an idiot.

Nick0930 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I'd like to hear what owners actually have to say without being hit with a $250K fine for saying it.

11-17-2012, 09:01 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
White wouldn't be making $3 million a year if it wasn't for Bettman. What an idiot.
You're right, he'd probably be making more.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Frk It
#Snipequist

If the shoe fits....

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:21 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Well he is, But so is Fehr....just stating the obvious

mindfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
If the shoe fits....
THIS.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:32 PM
FabricDetails

Look for him to get 0 favorable calls and a bunch of suspicious calls coming his way whenever hockey starts up again.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Tomas W

Everyone involved in this lock-out, the NHL as well as the NHLPA, looks like idiots to me, so I guess he's half-right.

Last edited by Tomas W: 11-18-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

In other news, grass is green.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:11 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
Source: TSN

These players should really just shut their mouths. Name-calling and finger-pointing only makes them look like fools.
I wish more players called Bettman out.
3 lockouts in 4 CBAs. And still, most teams lose money. Bettman's expansion choices have also been brutal.

Good for Ian White.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:13 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Look for him to get 0 favorable calls and a bunch of suspicious calls coming his way whenever hockey starts up again.
Officials hate Bettman too

Old
11-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Based on the rest of his comments, White looks pretty dumb as well. But everyone involved is pretty dumb, so...

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:22 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Based on the rest of his comments, White looks pretty dumb as well. But everyone involved is pretty dumb, so...
At the end of the day, the fans are the biggest idiots. They're the ones paying for this mess, in every sense of the word.

Old
11-17-2012, 10:57 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

White needs to stick to what he is good at. Being partnered up with Lidstrom.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:05 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
White needs to stick to what he is good at. Being partnered up with Lidstrom.

Interesting news out of Philly:
http://mobile.philly.com/sports/?wss...9281&viewAll=y

Quote:
Multiple sources confirmed to the Daily News on Friday that Snider, once seen as a supporter of the Bettman's push to rein in the players' share of revenue, has soured on the process after it became apparent that a deal would not be brokered in time for a Dec. 1 puck drop.

Put simply: Snider and the rest of the NHL's owners were promised a big win by Bettman, with player concessions on revenue division and contracting rights. The best they'll get now is a small win in revenue split - coupled with a demoralized fan base and all-important corporate sponsors that are ready to quit.

A source familiar with Snider's thinking characterized it as: "If this is the deal we are going to get, what's the point of dragging this out?"

Old
11-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I'm willing to bet he's not the only owner who feels this way.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
I'm willing to bet he's not the only owner who feels this way.
I hope so, and I hope they're making their voices heard behind the scenes.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:19 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
I think both sides are going to be disappointed with this deal, which means it is probably the right one although it has taken forever which is still stupid. But Snider and even the owners that are tiring, aren't going to accept anything without linkage which the NHLPA still has not offered. I just don't see any of them green lighting it without that, even if they are sick of the lockout.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:19 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
What else did he say? All I saw in the article that seemed strange was the comment about needing only 8 owners to agree to "pass something" or whatever. Not sure what he was referring to there.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:27 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I think both sides are going to be disappointed with this deal, which means it is probably the right one although it has taken forever which is still stupid. But Snider and even the owners that are tiring, aren't going to accept anything without linkage which the NHLPA still has not offered. I just don't see any of them green lighting it without that, even if they are sick of the lockout.
Well, they should have thought of that before opening with a BS offer and then locking the players out.

Because now, the NHL owners have damaged revenues so badly that I don't think the players could ever accept salaries LINKED to Revenue.

Bettman, with his insane 24 percent paycut offer, really kicked the hornets' next.

I don't see any way in the world the players accept linkage over the next few years of the contract.

And again. That's Bettman's mistake.

Over on BOH, he's worshipped by many as some shrewd negotiator. But I tend to think Bettman is a bully who wins battles but blunders in the overall war.

The worse this gets, the less incentive there is for the PA to accept any linkage.

I think you'll see Fehr present offers that guarantee a certain amount of revenue in the first few years of the deal... with the PA having option of accepting 50 percent of HRR by year 3 or year 4 (by then, the game may have recovered.)

If I am Fehr, that's what I am pushing for.
No way in hell do I accept 50 percent of a revenue pie made much smaller due to the owners' lockout.

And as guys like Ed Snider and Mike Ilitch realize this, they'll see the incentive to get a deal done sooner than later.
Because I'm going to demand $1.9Billion in revenue next year. I will not budge.

If there was no lockout, revenues would be $3.5 billion or so.
The longer this goes, the worse the revenues are. If they drop to $2.7Billuon... then the owners just cost themselves $800 million.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Well, they should have thought of that before opening with a BS offer and then locking the players out.

Because now, the NHL owners have damaged revenues so badly that I don't think the players could ever accept salaries LINKED to Revenue.

Bettman, with his insane 24 percent paycut offer, really kicked the hornets' next.

I don't see any way in the world the players accept linkage over the next few years of the contract.

And again. That's Bettman's mistake.

Over on BOH, he's worshipped by many as some shrewd negotiator. But I tend to think Bettman is a bully who wins battles but blunders in the overall war.

The worse this gets, the less incentive there is for the PA to accept any linkage.

I think you'll see Fehr present offers that guarantee a certain amount of revenue in the first few years of the deal... with the PA having option of accepting 50 percent of HRR by year 3 or year 4 (by then, the game may have recovered.)

If I am Fehr, that's what I am pushing for.
No way in hell do I accept 50 percent of a revenue pie made much smaller due to the owners' lockout.

And as guys like Ed Snider and Mike Ilitch realize this, they'll see the incentive to get a deal done sooner than later.
Because I'm going to demand $1.9Billion in revenue next year. I will not budge.

If there was no lockout, revenues would be $3.5 billion or so.
The longer this goes, the worse the revenues are. If they drop to $2.7Billuon... then the owners just cost themselves $800 million.
We are well aware of what you think is going to happen. Somehow Fehr is going to get a landslide victory. Really what is likely to happen is Fehr not getting hammered, that is what the owners are frustrated about. Everything you just said isn't both sides not liking the deal. The Players do backflips if they pulled that off, that is not the situation being described, it is the pro-player anti-Bettman honks dreams. Snider and Ilitch don't accept what you just proposed. Do they back off on some contracts demands and try to get a deal done sooner? Sure, but just because you hate Bettman and want to see him embarrassed doesn't mean that is outright happening.

I despise Fehr, but I am not going to say he will wind up with the original proposal from the NHL next November and then immediately get fired because he played chicken for the hundredth and finally got nailed on it. That is unlikely, just like it is extremely unlikely somehow the players get their original offer like you just stated.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:55 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
We are well aware of what you think is going to happen. Somehow Fehr is going to get a landslide victory. Really what is likely to happen is Fehr not getting hammered, that is what the owners are frustrated about. Everything you just said isn't both sides not liking the deal. The Players do backflips if they pulled that off, that is not the situation being described, it is the pro-player anti-Bettman honks dreams. Snider and Ilitch don't accept what you just proposed. Do they back off on some contracts demands and try to get a deal done sooner? Sure, but just because you hate Bettman and want to see him embarrassed doesn't mean that is outright happening.

I despise Fehr, but I am not going to say he will wind up with the original proposal from the NHL next November and then immediately get fired because he played chicken for the hundredth and finally got nailed on it. That is unlikely, just like it is extremely unlikely somehow the players get their original offer like you just stated.

The longer this goes, the more damage is done to revenue. I think that's a fact.
Even if it's short term damage.

IMO, both sides know this.

And because of that, I don't see compromise coming our way. I see one side winning and one side losing.

It's my hope the owners lose and lose badly, so they'll be humble enough to negotiate honestly next time around instead of going right to their go-to lockout move.

And I can see some owners just saying "screw it," it's really not worth the fight this time around.

But I won't say I think the players will win. Because I don't know. It's quite conceivably that the players break ranks and fold.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:38 AM
jkrx

I don't think Bettman is an idiot in this one case. The owners and the players are. Bunch of greedy idiots.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote