HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 08:06 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

vCash: 500
I think next season should be the year to find out what we have with Nilsson/Poulin. There are going to be a decent amount of quality UFA goaltenders available the offseason after next season. If we think we don't have a future with one of those two, then go after one of the UFA goalies(Hiller/Halak/Elliott/Miller/Kiprusoff, as well as cheaper options like Hedberg/Giguere/Vokoun. Even Lundy is scheduled to be a UFA, although there's a 99% chance he doesn't make it to that point).

IMO, the time to find out what we have is next season with Poulin/Nilsson. Granted, all of these guys could be re-signed before they become UFAs, but if not we may never get another opportunity like this to address the goalie position.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:11 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think next season should be the year to find out what we have with Nilsson/Poulin. There are going to be a decent amount of quality UFA goaltenders available the offseason after next season. If we think we don't have a future with one of those two, then go after one of the UFA goalies(Hiller/Halak/Elliott/Miller/Kiprusoff, as well as cheaper options like Hedberg/Giguere/Vokoun. Even Lundy is scheduled to be a UFA, although there's a 99% chance he doesn't make it to that point).

IMO, the time to find out what we have is next season with Poulin/Nilsson. Granted, all of these guys could be re-signed before they become UFAs, but if not we may never get another opportunity like this to address the goalie position.
in my opinion Nilsson has franchise goalie talent and he is the future of the islanders between the pipes. i'll say it again..poulin is nice and i would think he would be a nice backup..but its honestly not close between the two of them

Old
11-18-2012, 11:13 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
That's what I figured. But, why is he playing? Let alone getting PP time!!!

I'm sure having a family connection got him some help in landing a roster spot with Bridgeport. But there is no reason he should be getting pp time.
he earned it last night...he can really skate..and had two assists..so if thats "eh" i'll take it

Old
11-18-2012, 11:15 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
The Rangers didn't hand the job to Lundqvist, Weekes was expected to be the starter and Lundqvist outplayed him.

The Isles should do the same, bring in a vet, let Nillson/Poulin earn the #1 spot.
i agree..let the best goalie win the job whomever that may be

Old
11-18-2012, 11:43 AM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
i agree..let the best goalie win the job whomever that may be
What if it's "the Rick"? And HF breaks? Careful what you wish for

Old
11-18-2012, 11:45 AM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
If Anaheim blows up and Perry, Getzlaf, and Ryan are gone I think Anaheim would sell Hiller at the deadline or let him test UFA. I would give him a five year deal at most.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:41 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
If Anaheim blows up and Perry, Getzlaf, and Ryan are gone I think Anaheim would sell Hiller at the deadline or let him test UFA. I would give him a five year deal at most.
if the islanders beleive puolin or nilsson are there long term answer then that makes zero sense.. if they bring someone in its at longest a two year deal...i do believe Nilsson will be ready for next season to seriously compete for a job

Old
11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Id rather go hard and go all in after Ryan then try to get Hiller

Old
11-18-2012, 01:53 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Id rather go hard and go all in after Ryan then try to get Hiller
Isn't Ryan under contract while Getzlaf and Perry are impending UFAs? I would not support getting into a bidding war to get Bobby Ryan leaving our prospect pool bare as well as leaving more holes than we already have in our lineup.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:04 PM
OlTimeHockey

Would anyone be willing to send DP the other way if they could offer us Ryan plus in a package? I know we'd be overpaying with Rick if he ever does revolutionize the way the game is played, but Ryan's pretty good IMHO.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:24 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Would anyone be willing to send DP the other way if they could offer us Ryan plus in a package? I know we'd be overpaying with Rick if he ever does revolutionize the way the game is played, but Ryan's pretty good IMHO.
Playing 47 games over the last 4 yrs, shows RD can't stay healthy.

No interest in paying another team, to take DiPietro. That's what we'd be doing, giving up quality, young talent to move him.

I'd rather see him retire or bought out at $1.5m per. Yeah, the length of the buyout will run 16 yrs and will be a running joke among media and fans.

Also, with Anaheim's owner claiming financial losses and Getzlef/Perry due new deals, I doubt Anaheim takes on any big salary dump contract.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

No interest in paying another team, to take DiPietro. That's what we'd be doing, giving up quality, young talent to move him.

I'd rather see him retire or bought out at $1.5m per. Yeah, the length of the buyout will run 16 yrs and will be a running joke among media and fans.

Also, with Anaheim's owner claiming financial losses and Getzlef/Perry due new deals, I doubt Anaheim takes on any big salary dump contract.
No, I meant they get Rick for Ryan plus a pick or prospect. Rick's an elite goalie where Ryan is only starting to prove himself. (I can't go on.....my post was sarcasm. Anaheim would only take Rick if Bloomberg bought the team and wanted someone as thin as Rick to play there. Maybe Rick can turn vegan and we could be onto something?)

Old
11-18-2012, 02:51 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post

You take everything way too seriously.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:09 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
You take everything way too seriously.
My kid, my nephew and my niece say the same.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Strummergas

Ulstrom looking good today in his first game back. Scored the first goal on a rocket and just made a nice play to set up Watkins. Bridgeport up 2-0.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:34 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Nino with goals in eight straight now. Stigers up 4-2 on Fight Afternoon (four fights through two periods.)

Old
11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Nino with goals in eight straight now. Stigers up 4-2 on Fight Afternoon (four fights through two periods.)
He may be scoring, but the rest of his play still leaves a lot to be desired. He's not NHL ready...

Nelson is looking real good and controls the ice very well. Looks like a good one.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
He may be scoring, but the rest of his play still leaves a lot to be desired. He's not NHL ready...
Making the lockout a blessing for him.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:08 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:

Nelson is looking real good and controls the ice very well. Looks like a good one.
Care to elaborate?

Old
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Care to elaborate?
He's an end to end player. Passing is not crisp, he's either passing to far in front or behind the player which causes hiccups in momentum. While fast, he doesn't know how to use his speed to maneuver around the defense. Play away from the puck is mediocre.

He certainly doesn't look like the best player on the ice or a top 5 1st rounder. Nelson does, Niño doesn't.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
The Rangers didn't hand the job to Lundqvist, Weekes was expected to be the starter and Lundqvist outplayed him.

The Isles should do the same, bring in a vet, let Nillson/Poulin earn the #1 spot.
I know. And I'm sure that Nilsson (not Poulin) will outplay any veteran. He is the real deal, and he is ready for the NHL. That's why I think it would've been a waste to sign a veteran goalie, we could use Koskinen or Poulin as the backup. But that's just my opinion.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
He's an end to end player. Passing is not crisp, he's either passing to far in front or behind the player which causes hiccups in momentum. While fast, he doesn't know how to use his speed to maneuver around the defense. Play away from the puck is mediocre.

He certainly doesn't look like the best player on the ice or a top 5 1st rounder. Nelson does, Niño doesn't.
And here I thought you were going to describe his defensive issues.

He seems to be doing just fine offensively.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
StrongIslanders90

Lets hope Nino's not one of those AAAA guys...

IMO I dont think he is...

Old
11-18-2012, 07:54 PM
scott99

Quote:

And YET, here we have Niño leading the team in points, in goal scoring and tied for second in assists. I think you're just the type of person who looks for the negative in everything. Niederreiter said before the season, I'm not a 3rd or 4th line grinder, I'm a sniper, I'm a 1st or 2nd line offensive player. And all he's done is gone out and proven what he said he was. After last year's disaster, it wouldn't have shocked me if he was ruined and had another ****** season. But no, he's gone out and showed what he's all about, shown that he is a TOP prospect ! I love the guy and he deserves just as much hype as Brock Nelson. Who is almost a year older than Niño.

Jumping into goaltending, though I'm a HUGE Poulin fan, I have to believe the hype, Nilsson has been nothing but amazing since he's been in North America, he's been lights out in Bridgeport, and I truly believe it will cary over to the NHL. Can't wait to see him as a full time Isle's goalie.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:00 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Lets hope Nino's not one of those AAAA guys...

IMO I dont think he is...
I wouldn't worry about it...he is still one of the youngest players in the AHL. Despite being the same draft year, he is almost a full year younger than Nelson.

Not to mention last year was pretty much a waste for him.

He is scoring right now, which is good. The rest of his game will follow I am sure.

Closed Thread