HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN Power Rankings of NHL uniforms

Old
11-17-2012, 01:43 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
The Oilers have a classic logo - every bit as classic as the Canadiens. It is iconic and will be around forever.
Okay. Apparently you fail at reading so I'll try to explain this again. The definition of classic is that you can't tell when it was created. You can tell when the abomination that is the Oilers logo was created. It's as dated as shag carpet and vista cruisers.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:48 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
People really don't understand the history, tradition and success of the Oilers franchise.

Their logo is iconic. The club has won MORE Stanley Cups than any other team since they joined the NHL in 1979. They have won MORE Stanley Cups than all other Canadian teams combined since they joined the NHL in 1979.

They had the greatest player in the history of the game at his peak. They featured 6 HOFers on a team that won 5 Stanley Cups in 7 years. They won their first cup in their 5th year of existence.

The Oilers are the most successful, and storied franchise since they joined the NHL. When you factor in cups/seasons/cup winning difficulty, they are the most successful franchise in NHL history. Their logo is iconic. They are one of the NHL's flagship franchises.

People tend to get so wrapped up in what has happened in the past three years that they forget the true reality.
I think people are well aware of the Oilers' success, but what does that have to do with their jersey? I don't think it's bad, and I don't think most people think its bad, but I would say it looks outdated.

The problem for me is I that I don't know what they would change their jersey to. It's similar to the Montreal jersey in the sense that this particular look has always been associated with the Oilers... but for me the MTL jersey does have kind of a timeless look to it, whereas the Oilers, as someone else put it, look like they're straight out of the seventies. And to be fair they are...but I guess it just hasn't aged as well.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:57 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

The O6 teams have the best uni's.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Exactly. Ranking those high on the list isn't "O6 bias" it's calling nice jerseys, nice jerseys.

Although the Hawks should be way higher. Hawks are #1 in the league imo.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I think people are well aware of the Oilers' success, but what does that have to do with their jersey? I don't think it's bad, and I don't think most people think its bad, but I would say it looks outdated.

The problem for me is I that I don't know what they would change their jersey to. It's similar to the Montreal jersey in the sense that this particular look has always been associated with the Oilers... but for me the MTL jersey does have kind of a timeless look to it, whereas the Oilers, as someone else put it, look like they're straight out of the seventies. And to be fair they are...but I guess it just hasn't aged as well.
Read the post I was replying to.

Your misguided opinion doesn't change the reality of a classic and iconic Oilers logo

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
The Oilers have a classic logo - every bit as classic as the Canadiens.
Haha no.

Edmonton's logo is on par with the Islanders in terms of being "classic". Montreal? Not even close.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:18 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Disagree, they are too simplistic. The best jerseys are 80's jerseys.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

This jersey is the best jersey in all of sports. I don't care.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:31 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Best ever.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:39 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Why are you trying to compare Edm to a original 6 team, the most successful franchise in NHL history and one of the most storied franchises in sports? I honestly don't understand Edm fans. You feel the need to defend yourselves so strongly it's baffling.
You're aware this is a discussion about jerseys, right?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:41 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post

Best ever.
Beauty certainly is in the eye of the beerholder.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:46 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Beauty certainly is in the eye of the beerholder.
Did you expect anything less?

Old
11-18-2012, 01:47 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
People really don't understand the history, tradition and success of the Oilers franchise.

Their logo is iconic. The club has won MORE Stanley Cups than any other team since they joined the NHL in 1979. They have won MORE Stanley Cups than all other Canadian teams combined since they joined the NHL in 1979.

They had the greatest player in the history of the game at his peak. They featured 6 HOFers on a team that won 5 Stanley Cups in 7 years. They won their first cup in their 5th year of existence.

The Oilers are the most successful, and storied franchise since they joined the NHL. When you factor in cups/seasons/cup winning difficulty, they are the most successful franchise in NHL history. Their logo is iconic. They are one of the NHL's flagship franchises.

People tend to get so wrapped up in what has happened in the past three years that they forget the true reality.
You may need to accept the reality that nobody really considers the Oil logo as iconic except Oil fans.

While I appreciate your attempt at "storied", "flash in the pan" might be more apt. The last 20+ years speak more the real Oilers to most people, like it or not.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:52 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
The Oilers have a classic logo - every bit as classic as the Canadiens. It is iconic and will be around forever.
If you need to tell people how great something is, it likely isn't. The cream generally rises to the top on its own.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you need to tell people how great something is, it likely isn't. The cream generally rises to the top on its own.
This.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:11 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
To me the Oilers logo is a bit of a classic, but nowhere near Montreal level.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
You may need to accept the reality that nobody really considers the Oil logo as iconic except Oil fans.

While I appreciate your attempt at "storied", "flash in the pan" might be more apt. The last 20+ years speak more the real Oilers to most people, like it or not.
Canuck fans trashing on cups won by other teams is quite hilarious. I guess 40+ years of never winning is something to be proud of.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 11-18-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old
11-18-2012, 04:15 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Canuck fans trashing on cups won by other teams is quite hilarious. I guess 40+ years of never winning is something to be proud of.
I am not trashing on anything. Let's try and keep things on topic though. I do not think you will find many non Oiler fans that consider your jerseys great or iconic or anything of the sort. In fact, I bet many fans think of the Oilers as a bottom feeder that have been futile for the most part of the last 2 decades. Whether that is true or not doesn't matter, we are talking about perception. It's great that you love your jersey but I cant say I understand the need to tell other people how great it is and then tell them why they should agree.

Take your average Oil fan's opinion of the "iconickiness" of the NYI jersey and franchise. Now you know what most people see in Edmonton.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
The Oilers' home jersey was ranked #1 by HFB but ESPN ranks it at 104? Their whole complaint is based solely on the logo too. ESPN fail.
Not to mention that they don't even have the current logo displayed on the list and then accuse the Oilers of not changing their logo in 40 years. Last time I checked the Oilers haven't even been around for 40 years....

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:23 PM
HockeyFan100
Welcome to COL!

My most favorite jeresey ever. The Mighty Ducks jeresey are a thing of beauty.

HockeyFan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:24 PM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post

This jersey is the best jersey in all of sports. I don't care.
Definitely one of the better ones, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post

Best ever.
Couldn't disagree more. I give the organization credit for trying out a rarely used color scheme (I'm not factoring in the fact that I don't personally like those colors), but the logo is too cartoonish for my taste. I much prefer simple, timeless ones. I certainly don't get that impression from the Avs'.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
You mean like Canuck fans repeatedly telling us how great their team is yet, they never win when it counts?

Old
11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
You mean like Canuck fans repeatedly telling us how great their team is yet, they never win when it counts?
Yes, EXACTLY!!!! I am glad you get it now. Thank you for providing such a perfect example, I wish I had said that first.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by proper animal View Post
Couldn't disagree more. I give the organization credit for trying out a rarely used color scheme (I'm not factoring in the fact that I don't personally like those colors), but the logo is too cartoonish for my taste. I much prefer simple, timeless ones. I certainly don't get that impression from the Avs'.
How is it cartoonish? It may not be a classic like MTL,TOR,CHI,DET,BOS, etc. But it's nowhere near the cartoonish levels of the Panthers, Senators, Pittsburgh, TB, Nashville.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:49 PM
park rangers
Optimist

I agree with the list... If we were ranking individual jerseys I'd go #1 Habs home. #2 Rangers away. #3 Bruins black alternates. #4 Hawks away. #5 Flyers orange

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote