HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2012, 10:53 PM
SuperJayMann

vCash: 500
Reilly is going to be so fun to watch as a Leaf, I hope he doesn't get rushed into the NHL though. A guy that should make the Leafs D right away is Ranger, damn he looks good.

Old
11-17-2012, 11:28 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
In that play, rielly missed the puck with his stick (he wanted to one-time it), and the puck hit the side of his skate. The pass was a bit to hard and elevated too, it looked like a shot. Anyway thats when he got hurt. Its probably not anything too bad, but really uncomfortable to skate with. That happened to me a few times, and the lump that forms isnt all pleasant (and makes it real hard to put on your skates).
He played hurt as is his way.....the kid is tough.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:23 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Rielly actually has the wheels to use his dangles, Kadri is pretty slow.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
I can't stand Kadri but he has very good speed..........not sure who you have been watching.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I can't stand Kadri but he has very good speed..........not sure who you have been watching.
Kadri is an average skater at the NHL level.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:42 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
This isn't a very fair comparison. Kadri dangles to create time and space for himself, usually when he's already in the offensive zone, to make a play. Rielly on the other hand, is a rush player; everything he does, he does at speed because, as a defenseman, he has his entire defensive zone to gain steam. They play different styles and therefore use dekes to accomplish different things.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
If you watch Moose Jaw games, the puck is never in the defensive end when Riellys on the ice. Junior can not refine his defensive game because he is so much better than his opposition that hes never really challenged defensively. The best defensive attribute however, is his ability to strip players of the puck, its incredible how easy he makes it seem.
You see that's what I'm afraid of. I know everyone wants Riellyto remain in junior, but if he does, he will be counted on to lead the rush on most nights and he'll continue playing against weaker competition. Then those bad habits that you could get away with in junior against weaker players might creep into his game when he reaches the next level. I really feel that's what happened to Kadri and that's the real problem in Kadri's game.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:01 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
This isn't a very fair comparison. Kadri dangles to create time and space for himself, usually when he's already in the offensive zone, to make a play. Rielly on the other hand, is a rush player; everything he does, he does at speed because, as a defenseman, he has his entire defensive zone to gain steam. They play different styles and therefore use dekes to accomplish different things.
Right on, that's kind of what I was thinking. I shouldn't have said Kadri is pretty slow, but in comparison to Rielly there's a difference.

Luckily we have them both, going to be nice watching them juke defenders out of their socks in the future.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
I think rielly's top end speed is overestimated. What rielly has that is absolutely and unequivically elite is his acceleration and elusiveness. This allows him to dangle in tight spaces but then get out ASAP. Kadri can dangle in tight spaces too, but he cant break away from the danglee afterwards, and that is what really hurts him. I hope kadri watches rielly and rielly influences him to become a gym rat. Until kadri becomes seriously committed to the gym and gets stronger and more explosive, he wont even come close to reaching his potential as a dynamic playmaker/dangler.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:08 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Right on, that's kind of what I was thinking. I shouldn't have said Kadri is pretty slow, but in comparison to Rielly there's a difference.

Luckily we have them both, going to be nice watching them juke defenders out of their socks in the future.
That's something we can all get behind

Old
11-18-2012, 04:35 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

That Rielly STILL stood out during the Subway Series I find to be reassuring.

Can't wait to watch him this Friday on SN.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:40 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Kadri has dangles. Watch some tape. He's shown them at the NHL level.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:41 PM
birddog*

Quote:
I think rielly's top end speed is overestimated. What rielly has that is absolutely and unequivically elite is his acceleration and elusiveness. This allows him to dangle in tight spaces but then get out ASAP. Kadri can dangle in tight spaces too, but he cant break away from the danglee afterwards, and that is what really hurts him. I hope kadri watches rielly and rielly influences him to become a gym rat. Until kadri becomes seriously committed to the gym and gets stronger and more explosive, he wont even come close to reaching his potential as a dynamic playmaker/dangler.
Reilly has elite speed as well. I've seen him catch guys on breakaways from 3 strides back.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Kadri has dangles. Watch some tape. He's shown them at the NHL level.
He never said he didn't have dangles, he said that he doesn't have the speed to capitalize on them

Old
11-18-2012, 07:55 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

You guys remember that double toe drag from the other day? Man that was sick. Embarrassing story: I play defense and I'm pretty sure someone's pulled that same move on me twice in a row

Old
11-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Reilly has elite speed as well. I've seen him catch guys on breakaways from 3 strides back.
And I have also seen him get beat to the outside 5/6 times in the subway series. He is fast, but not elite fast. At least by NHL standards

Old
11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
And I have also seen him get beat to the outside 5/6 times in the subway series. He is fast, but not elite fast. At least by NHL standards
I disagree. He is elite fast, even by NHL standards. He gets caught on plays like that because he can usually get away with it in juniors. Against tougher competition he'll have to re-adjust a little. It's not a big deal.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
I disagree. He is elite fast, even by NHL standards. He gets caught on plays like that because he can usually get away with it in juniors. Against tougher competition he'll have to re-adjust a little. It's not a big deal.
What play? Guys keep beating him to the outside, I wasnt talking about him giving the puck away, etc. Maybe he was tired in those plays, or his ankle was hurting but still. Guys like gardiner with elite speed almost never get outskated like that.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Ari91

Reading that article on Rielly - sounds like an impressive young guy. Between his obvious skill, his willingness to be involved and contribute in his community as well as what seems to be friendly personality, I can see why Burke was impressed with him. He has all the qualities that Burke is always talking about - well except for that truculence bit but if you can skate out of your problems instead, all the more power to you!

Old
11-18-2012, 10:29 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
Kid was gassed the few times I saw him being beat. He was always last man back though, even Murray gave up a few breakaways. It happens.

Overall I was impressed with his quick reads and good stick on the defensive end. Never got bogged down like Reinhardt, just passed or skated it out of trouble. Offensive game is outstanding.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:06 PM
diceman934

Quote:
He is elite fast and he played hurt the last game......He is elite fast....by NHL standards.

Look at some video for proof.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:21 PM
thewave

Quote:
What play? Guys keep beating him to the outside, I wasnt talking about him giving the puck away, etc. Maybe he was tired in those plays, or his ankle was hurting but still. Guys like gardiner with elite speed almost never get outskated like that.
Didnt he pull a muscle? The first game he was pretty flawless, after the attempted one timer his game kinda fell apart, the team followed suit.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:38 PM
The Beyonder

Not sure if it's already posted, but here's a video of Morgan mic'd during warm-up on the SSS.
http://www.subwaysuperseries.ca/vide...c17f06258c0cd3

"Let's go Samuel...Other Samuel"

Old
11-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
Not sure if it's already posted, but here's a video of Morgan mic'd during warm-up on the SSS.
http://www.subwaysuperseries.ca/vide...c17f06258c0cd3

"Let's go Samuel...Other Samuel"
I love Morgan, But he should of signed that kids ticket.

Oh well, I guess.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Posted this in the prospect thread, but probably deserves a spot in here as well:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Ryan Murray was penciled in beside Dougie Hamilton on (lockout) Team Canada top D pair. I'd now pencil in Morgan Rielly for that spot.

Ryan Murray has a small tear in his shoulder labrum, puts his WJC status in huge jeopardy. Could be a good thing for Rielly though.

Closed Thread