HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Desharnais signs for Fribourg Gottéron (Switzerland)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2012, 10:37 AM
  #51
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,852
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I wouldn't compare Desharnais to Briere just yet. Also, Philly is a stacked team, they don't rely solely on Briere where as with the Canadiens, Desharnais and his line is the one we lean on.

While I think there are some on this board that completely underrate Desharnais, there is a whole other group that severly overrrates him.
I think the argument here is whether a team can win with a guy like DD in the lineup.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:42 AM
  #52
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I wouldn't compare Desharnais to Briere just yet. Also, Philly is a stacked team, they don't rely solely on Briere where as with the Canadiens, Desharnais and his line is the one we lean on.

While I think there are some on this board that completely underrate Desharnais, there is a whole other group that severly overrrates him.
Soooo I severely overrate Desharnais because :

1. I think he can be a useful player even on a competitive team

2. He is somewhat comparable to Briere (a 34yr player who scored more points than DD did last year only 4 times in his 813 game career)

I'm not claiming he's the ideal first line center, I'm answering a guy who thinks this guy wouldn't be a 4th liner on a good team. Is it overrating to say Desharnais can and should be part of this team's plans?

And you said it yourself, Briere plays on a stacked team - onemorecup's argument is basically that Desharnais is not good enough to play on good teams. Despite having Briere as a short, non-physical and defensively under-average offensive specialist they can still boast a gritty forward corp. Briere only makes said forward corp more of a constant scoring threat.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
  #53
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!
 
Gabe84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I wouldn't compare Desharnais to Briere just yet. Also, Philly is a stacked team, they don't rely solely on Briere where as with the Canadiens, Desharnais and his line is the one we lean on.

While I think there are some on this board that completely underrate Desharnais, there is a whole other group that severly overrrates him.
I don't see how he's overrated. We're talking about a guy who got 60 points in his first full season. And it's not like he played with superstar wingers. People love bringing up the fact that he played with Pacioretty and Cole, but those two, while being great players, aren't exactly future HHOF candidates.

Why is it so wrong to think that maybe Desharnais could get better? He may not be Galchenyuk-young, but his game could get better. He has the tools to put up the points in the NHL, yet somehow, people want to get rid of him to make room for guys who haven't played a single NHL game or that haven't produced close to top-6 numbers.

Personally, I just find it amusing that some are already tossing him aside as an afterthought to make room for our great future, instead of thinking that maybe the proven asset should be part of it.

Plus, I've never heard any arguments against Desharnais beside "he's small". Small players have succeeded before in the NHL. And when you point that out, the only reply you get is "he's no Martin St-Louis or Theoren Fleury". After one season, no ****. Right now, he is what he is. But I'm hoping we'll give him some time to prove what he's worth.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:11 PM
  #54
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
DD with one assist in 3:4 Fribourg loss to Biel

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
  #55
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
DD with one assist in 3:4 Fribourg loss to Biel
Not is good as Eller

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:31 AM
  #56
habsprospects
Irresponsible User
 
habsprospects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
DD with one assist in 3:4 Fribourg loss to Biel
I see nothing.

http://www.nationalleague.ch/NL/spie...20131105071129

__________________

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:42 AM
  #57
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
Well, they changed it later...because when I was following game he was awarded with primary assist for first Fribourg goal

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:55 PM
  #58
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
TBL with MAB pushed Boston to game 7 on ECF.

I mean, there's roles for certain players, even DD.

Habs aren't the kings, why are we comparing the two? Is there room for Eller? he's not a grinder for the 4th line and they have Carter, Richards, Kopitar, Stoll who are all better than him. We should get rid of Eller. Hell, Plekanec might be a 3rd line center there.

These are entirely different teams who play different styles. Context is important. Desharnais isn't a star but he can be useful, that simple.
the point MAB has bounced around the league , and never sticks , cause he is limited

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:58 PM
  #59
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Desharnais is a million times better than Dustin Penner at least, I'm certain the Kings would have found a use for him in their lineup. An argument could be made he could have been more useful than Jeff Carter as well, who's supposed to be awesome but is, in fact, a big *****.

He would also have been useful to the Devils who did not have that strong of a top9 after Parise/Kovalchuk.

Just because these teams don't happen to have an identical player to Desharnais (a pretty unique player) on their lineup does not mean Desharnais can't fit in a cup winning roster. Would you have believed anyone saying Ryder, a flawed player, would win a cup a few years ago?

Is Desharnais gifted with a tremendous lot of talent and hockey IQ?
Can Desharnais use that talent to produce at the NHL level? Hell yes
Can Desharnais survive a tough NHL season despite his size? Yes

What the hell is the problem then?
name me one retarded GM in this league who would trade a near Smyth trophy winner , who was a horse in the finals for DD :biglaugh

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:13 PM
  #60
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,223
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
name me one retarded GM in this league who would trade a near Smyth trophy winner , who was a horse in the finals for DD :biglaugh
I'm not sure if you're calling Carter or Penner a Conn Smythe candidate, but both suggestions are equally ludicrous/hilarious.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:14 PM
  #61
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
name me one retarded GM in this league who would trade a near Smyth trophy winner , who was a horse in the finals for DD :biglaugh
Who??

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:53 PM
  #62
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Soooo I severely overrate Desharnais because :

1. I think he can be a useful player even on a competitive team

2. He is somewhat comparable to Briere (a 34yr player who scored more points than DD did last year only 4 times in his 813 game career)

I'm not claiming he's the ideal first line center, I'm answering a guy who thinks this guy wouldn't be a 4th liner on a good team. Is it overrating to say Desharnais can and should be part of this team's plans?

And you said it yourself, Briere plays on a stacked team - onemorecup's argument is basically that Desharnais is not good enough to play on good teams. Despite having Briere as a short, non-physical and defensively under-average offensive specialist they can still boast a gritty forward corp. Briere only makes said forward corp more of a constant scoring threat.

not on your top line brother or even top 6 and win

and he is not a 4th liner on any team , if a 4th liner plays 8 minutes a night and is a role player or penalty killer what role is DD going to play

seriously can you put DD on a 4th line with White and Colby Armstrong ?

2 bangers and grit with a finesse player who will get no pp time , has no size or game to play the role of a 4th liner

cmom guys wake up its like having Darche on our top 6

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:54 PM
  #63
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Who??
if the Kings offered you straight up DD for Brown , who says no to this deal

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:56 PM
  #64
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm not sure if you're calling Carter or Penner a Conn Smythe candidate, but both suggestions are equally ludicrous/hilarious.
give me a break , Brown , Doughty and Quick were the horses in the playoffs
Richards and rest played well but those 3 were the main leaders by far

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:02 PM
  #65
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
yes yes we all know Pleks is older and more experienced then DD but doesnt take away the fact that Plekanec is our best center and if he was the one playing with Patches and Cole hes year would be much different.Im not taking ne thing away from David he had a great year but people need to understand he was playing with our best 2 wingers,he would of never had that same year playing with the players Tomas had and btw DD doesnt have a bigger upside,hes a good passer thats it...Pleks is not only great with passes but amazing defensively

thats my opinion only but if i was the Habs management i would focus on going forward with Pleks Eller and Gally has our centers and trade away DD
agreed

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:04 PM
  #66
Treb
Registered User
 
Treb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
give me a break , Brown , Doughty and Quick were the horses in the playoffs
Richards and rest played well but those 3 were the main leaders by far
The post was talking about Dustin PENNER, not Dustin brown. Sure Brown is better than DD, but Penner is not.

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:35 AM
  #67
Yvanoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 122
vCash: 500




Some picture of David Desharnais during his first game friday against Biel. They gave him a primary assist on the first goal, but it was corrected later by the league.

http://www.latele.ch/gotteronmag

And a small interview of Desharnais, made before Friday's game.

Yvanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:09 PM
  #68
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup
name me one retarded GM in this league who would trade a near Smyth trophy winner , who was a horse in the finals for DD :biglaugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
give me a break , Brown , Doughty and Quick were the horses in the playoffs
Richards and rest played well but those 3 were the main leaders by far
I'm sorry, but you are extremely confused.

I'm talking about Dustin Penner. That big piece of useless that can't score and yet sees regular time on the Kings top6. Desharnais outscored him 3 times over last season, I *think* the kings would have liked him on the team.

Btw Desharnais would have been 2nd in points with the Kings last year.I'm not saying he'd be their 2nd best player (bolded, so when you blatantly misinterpret what I say you'll look even more blind) however its completely senseless to say he couldn't have a place on that (or any) team.


Oh and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup
cmom guys wake up its like having Darche on our top 6
DARCHE AGAIN? Sorry but you should at least make an effort to try and make non-laughable arguments. Its difficult staying polite answering errh... ''stuff'' like that. Are you trying to bait me into getting banned?

Just tell us how Darche and Desharnais are even comparable. Other than they speak the same language, are NHL forwards and their names start with ''D''. Go ahead. Do they both eat at Subways frequently? Perhaps they both prefer wine to beer? Or maybe they are both the same astrological sign? I don't know, didn't check their birth dates.

Hey I'll use the same argumentation as you! Having Desharnais on the team is like having Mario Lemieux. Both french and centers BAM!

EDIT : I know you'll either ignore my post or focus on some secondary point you'll somehow misunderstand. I can feel it.


Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 11-18-2012 at 03:14 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:20 PM
  #69
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I'm sorry, but you are extremely confused.

I'm talking about Dustin Penner. That big piece of useless that can't score and yet sees regular time on the Kings top6. Desharnais outscored him 3 times over last season, I *think* the kings would have liked him on the team.

Btw Desharnais would have been 2nd in points with the Kings last year.I'm not saying he'd be their 2nd best player (bolded, so when you blatantly misinterpret what I say you'll look even more blind) however its completely senseless to say he couldn't have a place on that (or any) team.


Oh and ...



DARCHE AGAIN? Sorry but you should at least make an effort to try and make non-laughable arguments. Its difficult staying polite answering errh... ''stuff'' like that. Are you trying to bait me into getting banned?

Just tell us how Darche and Desharnais are even comparable. Other than they speak the same language, are NHL forwards and their names start with ''D''. Go ahead. Do they both eat at Subways frequently? Perhaps they both prefer wine to beer? Or maybe they are both the same astrological sign? I don't know, didn't check their birth dates.

Hey I'll use the same argumentation as you! Having Desharnais on the team is like having Mario Lemieux. Both french and centers BAM!

EDIT : I know you'll either ignore my post or focus on some secondary point you'll somehow misunderstand. I can feel it.
bro on a good team Darche is not a top 6 and neither is DD

Thats all I am saying , on the Kings DD wouldn`t be in thier top 9 , period

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:24 PM
  #70
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
not on your top line brother or even top 6 and win

and he is not a 4th liner on any team , if a 4th liner plays 8 minutes a night and is a role player or penalty killer what role is DD going to play

seriously can you put DD on a 4th line with White and Colby Armstrong ?

2 bangers and grit with a finesse player who will get no pp time , has no size or game to play the role of a 4th liner

cmom guys wake up its like having Darche on our top 6
That's exactly how he got his start in the league, on a 4th line with guys like White and Armstrong.

That 4th line was awesome, maybe the best the org had since the lockout. Terrific extra scoring to get from the bottom of the lineup.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:36 PM
  #71
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post

and he is not a 4th liner on any team , if a 4th liner plays 8 minutes a night and is a role player or penalty killer what role is DD going to play

seriously can you put DD on a 4th line with White and Colby Armstrong ?

2 bangers and grit with a finesse player who will get no pp time , has no size or game to play the role of a 4th liner

cmom guys wake up its like having Darche on our top 6
Like when DD centered a line of Pouliot and Darche, and ended up in .5 PPG territory?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:40 PM
  #72
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
bro on a good team Darche is not a top 6 and neither is DD

Thats all I am saying , on the Kings DD wouldn`t be in thier top 9 , period
Aside from quoting the post without even BOTHERING to answer it...
What did you achieved exactly?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:54 PM
  #73
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Like when DD centered a line of Pouliot and Darche, and ended up in .5 PPG territory?
Remember that he didn't get all his points playing with those guys. 8 of his 22 points were while playing on the powerplay that season, a little over 1/3rd of his points, so they didn't all come from playing with Darche and Pouliot.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:01 PM
  #74
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,852
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Remember that he didn't get all his points playing with those guys. 8 of his 22 points were while playing on the powerplay that season, a little over 1/3rd of his points, so they didn't all come from playing with Darche and Pouliot.
Which isn't really a bad thing.

Guys like Neal had about 40% of their points on PP.
Brian Campbell has like 60% of his on PP.

Selanne, couture etc had 40%.

Pietrangelo had about 50%.

It applies to everyone really.

Granted, the point remains, DD had some PP time to boost his numbers, but so do most offensive players in the league

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:04 PM
  #75
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Which isn't really a bad thing.

Guys like Neal had about 40% of their points on PP.
Brian Campbell has like 60% of his on PP.

Selanne, couture etc had 40%.

Pietrangelo had about 50%.

It applies to everyone really.

Granted, the point remains, DD had some PP time to boost his numbers, but so do most offensive players in the league
I didn't imply that it was a bad thing.

Just stating that while in his first season he .5 ppg pace playing with Darche and Pouliot, he did get over 1/3rd of his points on the PP where he wouldn't have played with Darche and Pouliot at the same time.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.