HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Lockout in NY, BOS, PHI, CHI, and DET

Old
11-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Jax1166

vCash: 500
Lockout in NY, BOS, PHI, CHI, and DET

NHL Lockout in NY,BOS,PHI,CHI,DET
Im curious how the lockout is being taken in a few large US markets.

NY, BOS, PHI, CHI, DET, and maybe StL. All but StL are large markets with teams in every sport. In DC the lockout gets some coverage but life goes on. In PIT it is missed being a mid market with no pro winter team.

But I'm curious in these large traditional markets that support hockey how it goes there. Is hockey missed by the masses? Has there been much coverage and attention? Or has baseball, football pro and college, and basketball made it not a big deal?

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:32 PM
MaximusT

NY hasn't really noticed. In the beginning of the lockout everyone was obsessing over the Yankees, and now with Football in full swing the Knicks being undefeated, I wouldn't be surprised if over HALF of the city's casual sports fans were even aware that there is a lockout

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:34 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
For the most part there is typically not much covereage on any sport in Philly if there is a lockout, it has gotten some few and far between though, but I think that's also due in large part to The Eagles and Phillies being so terrible and the unsure future of the Sixers. If any of those teams were good this year there would likely be almost no covereage at all on TV or Radio.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Dtb1381

For Boston- We have the gross amount of college teams and ahl teams and high school will be starting in about 2 weeks so if you want your hockey fix you can certainly get it, but their is truly nothing that can replace the bruins and their recent sucess. This is seen by most of the population i know or have seen. Radio hosts (especially 98.5 who own the bruins rights and felger(biggest boston radio host) who sweats them) have made it a somewhat serious issue and it makes coverage everyday. Same with local tv CSNNE and NESN (who own rights). The population is genrally upset and when i wear a bruins sweatshirt i generally get 3-5 random comments from people who i dont know asking when the F they are going to play or how greedy everybody is. So ya theres still coverage and a lot of upset people. The bruins have passed the celtics as #3 and the baseball town thing is kind of dying with the sox being terrible. Boston will not lose their love and when they finally start playing their will be sellouts at the garden once again

Dtb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

@ OP

Pittsburgh doesn't have any other pro winter team? Steelers?

And there's no such thing as NHL lockout coverage by the LA media.

Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 11-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:17 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
NY hasn't really noticed. In the beginning of the lockout everyone was obsessing over the Yankees, and now with Football in full swing the Knicks being undefeated, I wouldn't be surprised if over HALF of the city's casual sports fans were even aware that there is a lockout
True story, I go to school in NY and I was playing NHL with a friend in my dorm, and his brother walks in and says "the Rangers just won" and we were both like what is he talking about, apparently MSG was reshowing games from last year and he didn't even realize there was a lockout this year haha

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
HarassmentPanda

I hear a decent buzz about it in Stl. It gets the occasional mention on the radio and news but mostly just to update on whats going on. I know a ton of hockey fans though so maybe it's just in my circles that I hear it frequently discussed.

HarassmentPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

I think most hockey fans are so fed up that they stopped giving a ****.

That's true for all markets.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
No coverage / No talk

Chicago is focused on Bears/Bulls ,, If Hawks come back they will get talk

If not no one will notice they are not playing in media until the Bears season ends

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Krishna

Very little coverage by the media. Most people are angry at both sides

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Jax1166

So it seems then that NY/Philly/Chi really are indifferent and too caught up in other sports whereas Boston is somehow really caught up in this?

I don't know, some people have said Boston is not missing a beat with the Pats, Celtics, Sox hot stove, and enough fall sports in general. In fact the Bruins may have passed the Celtics in 11 but the Celtics with the lockout have taken it back.

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:28 PM
The Note
Overrated

In STL there's decent talk about it. A lot of buzz was created last year for the team and this is really killing the momentum the Blues had. It gets mentioned every so often in between, "oh no the Rams still suck" and, "the Cardinals need a shortstop." No NBA being here helps out

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:37 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

In Boston there is some coverage on 98.5 the Sports Hub

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Patrice37

Send a message via AIM to Patrice37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtb1381 View Post
For Boston- We have the gross amount of college teams and ahl teams and high school will be starting in about 2 weeks so if you want your hockey fix you can certainly get it, but their is truly nothing that can replace the bruins and their recent sucess. This is seen by most of the population i know or have seen. Radio hosts (especially 98.5 who own the bruins rights and felger(biggest boston radio host) who sweats them) have made it a somewhat serious issue and it makes coverage everyday. Same with local tv CSNNE and NESN (who own rights). The population is genrally upset and when i wear a bruins sweatshirt i generally get 3-5 random comments from people who i dont know asking when the F they are going to play or how greedy everybody is. So ya theres still coverage and a lot of upset people. The bruins have passed the celtics as #3 and the baseball town thing is kind of dying with the sox being terrible. Boston will not lose their love and when they finally start playing their will be sellouts at the garden once again
While most of what is said here is spot on, i will share my thoughts.

I disagree with the bolded, while both have their die-hard fanbase, the celtics are still #3. The bruins are right there but not quite.

The radio has been pretty vocal and I generally don't go a day without hearing something from someone about how much it sucks not being able to watch the b's every couple of nights.

With the Patriots being the Patriots, they are probably #1 first and foremost throughout the NFL season. the red sox will be there for if and when they ever make any moves, people will still pay attention during the offseason.

that being said, it is being taken worse than 2004. I was given free celtics tickets to a game the other night and I was forced to go despite hating the NBA. I prompty wore my Neely jersey because I don't go to the garden for anything else.

Jacob's is starting to get called out by a number of 98.5 hosts and hopefully the message will be heard soon enough, especially when you have someone like Robert Kraft just down rt. 1 epitomizing the ultimate franchise owner.

Patrice37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
No coverage / No talk

Chicago is focused on Bears/Bulls ,, If Hawks come back they will get talk

If not no one will notice they are not playing in media until the Bears season ends
Pretty much this. Only seen a few brief tidbits on CSN Chicago that mostly gloss over the situation and occasionally one of the hosts on ESPN 1000 mention that they miss hockey, but they don't go beyond that.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

The Patriots take a lot of the slack off but you can definitely tell this city misses, and needs it's hockey. The Bruins have grown so much over the past 4 years. The Stanley Cup run alone will be remembered for a couple of years for sure. I've noticed there hasn't been much Celtic coverage at all. The Bruins and Celtics are pretty much neck and neck in popularity, but if there wasn't a lockout hockey would probably be a lot more popular.

You also get the female population to watch because of Seguin.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Tinalera

Even in a Canadian market, Toronto, with the Jays and their blockbuster deals and the Argos in playoffs/off to Grey Cup, hosted in Toronto, the Leafs, while still talked about by media, have actually had very little (by their 24/7 standards lol) coverage: people are talking about the Jays mainly with Argos covering the rest.

I know you mentioned US markets, but just wanted to say even in "hotbed Canada" market, it's actually a lot quieter than usual.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:38 PM
The Note
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Even in a Canadian market, Toronto, with the Jays and their blockbuster deals and the Argos in playoffs/off to Grey Cup, hosted in Toronto, the Leafs, while still talked about by media, have actually had very little (by their 24/7 standards lol) coverage: people are talking about the Jays mainly with Argos covering the rest.

I know you mentioned US markets, but just wanted to say even in "hotbed Canada" market, it's actually a lot quieter than usual.
And this should be a real concern to the NHL IMO. Yes the fans will probably come crawling back but apathy's setting in big time across the board.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:44 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
So it seems then that NY/Philly/Chi really are indifferent and too caught up in other sports whereas Boston is somehow really caught up in this?

I don't know, some people have said Boston is not missing a beat with the Pats, Celtics, Sox hot stove, and enough fall sports in general. In fact the Bruins may have passed the Celtics in 11 but the Celtics with the lockout have taken it back.
I dont live in Boston but I really dont think New England in general is too caught up

We have lots of college hockey teams

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:53 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:

Celtics aren't getting all that much attention, and there's no excitement about the Sox as they're slated to have a mediocre year again, MVP voting was getting way more play. The Pats are the Pats.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Krishna

Quote:

No matter what happens, the Flyers are the 3rd team to get coverage in the city.

It usually goes : eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers. since the eagles are totally sucking, they take up a lot of time to get bashed by the media and fans. After that, there's the talk about the phillies' moves in the offseason. Then the flyers and sixers snatch up whatever is left. The media in the city has gone almost completely blackout on the lockout because they reported something early in the lockout for a bad source and they looked like idiots.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:04 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
The Wings never dominated the local airways, they get mentioned but they don't drive sports talk radio aside from on certain days. And that is rarely in the fall. I don't live there anymore, so I cannot speak to how it is being taken. I do know the papers are still covering it daily and they have even shown a Griffins game on FSD with Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels the Wings A-team doing the game. It is in a holding patern, although my guess is the Winter Classic cancel was a big day. The Wings move the needle, just not as much as Tigers playoffs, Lions or U of M football. I still would guess they edge out the Pistons and their dreadful start isn't going to help them get in on any market share.

Like I said it isn't like the lockout gets no coverage in Detroit. The media is still hanging around the players and articles are still coming out.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Absolutely no one notices in NY. The only mention they get is the daily half-page article in the paper. Besides that, I probably only met one stranger who made conversation about the lockout since the lockout began.

11-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Absolutely no one notices in NY. The only mention they get is the daily half-page article in the paper. Besides that, I probably only met one stranger who made conversation about the lockout since the lockout began.
That might be because you have all the teams to talk about

Yankees, Mets, Net, Knicks, Jets, Giants, and probably some talk about NJ teams

Old
11-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Mant*

Why cover something that never makes any progress or change? It's like having a daily news segment dedicated to informing us that the sky is still blue. Media in Colorado has been giving updates every few days... and they've all been exactly that. They just report on whenever there are talks and when there aren't.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote