HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 154: St. Pierre vs Condit

Old
11-18-2012, 12:32 PM
1ntrovert*

vCash: 500
This was posted by NoYards on MMAJUNKIE. This statement just bleeds truth.

NoYards:
GSP doesn't win fights, he beats his opponents .... sure, a big first round KO is exciting, but if you are beaten by a good punch in the first round you can easily say to yourself ..."okay, my mistake, next time I need to watch out for that punch and fight a better game' .... when GSP rag dolls you for 5 rounds how do you recover from that? You can't tell yourself "he was just lucky for 5 rounds."

Probably makes a lot pf opponents question whether they belong in the UFC WW division.

1ntrovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntrovert View Post

NoYards:
GSP doesn't win fights, he beats his opponents .... sure, a big first round KO is exciting, but if you are beaten by a good punch in the first round you can easily say to yourself ..."okay, my mistake, next time I need to watch out for that punch and fight a better game' .... when GSP rag dolls you for 5 rounds how do you recover from that? You can't tell yourself "he was just lucky for 5 rounds."

Probably makes a lot pf opponents question whether they belong in the UFC WW division.
I don't even know what that post means or proves. What do you think Anderson Silva or Jon Jones do in there? I think you have a ton of opposition asking the same thing when they face those guys.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:34 PM
I Am Beat You

People also seem to be ignoring the fact that GSP was getting the better of Condit on the feet before and after the head kick and would have won the fight even if you took away all the wrestling. Condit is also great off his back, has never been stopped by strikes, and hasn't been finished in over six years.

These guys spent a good amount of time on the feet and GSP stayed fairly active in Condit's tricky guard. No way I can complain about this performance.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:42 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudas View Post
People also seem to be ignoring the fact that GSP was getting the better of Condit on the feet before and after the head kick and would have won the fight even if you took away all the wrestling. Condit is also great off his back, has never been stopped by strikes, and hasn't been finished in over six years.

These guys spent a good amount of time on the feet and GSP stayed fairly active in Condit's tricky guard. No way I can complain about this performance.
It's pretty arguable how the fight was going on the feet. GSP looked good early but I thought Condit started looking good on the feet in the second round, and it culminated with the combo and knockdown in the third. If the fight had continued on the fight I think GSP may have gotten himself into a bit more trouble the way things were trending.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
It's pretty arguable how the fight was going on the feet. GSP looked good early but I thought Condit started looking good on the feet in the second round, and it culminated with the combo and knockdown in the third. If the fight had continued on the fight I think GSP may have gotten himself into a bit more trouble the way things were trending.
Condit had a few moments, but for the vast majority of the fight when standing George was in control before and after the head kick. Condit threw a lot, but most of it was hitting nothing but air or arms, GSP was picking his shots, but landed more frequently and more precisely

That kick though was a thing of beauty. Came out of nowhere. Scared the bejesus out of me.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:25 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I was really impressed by Condit's chin when he made the mistake of trying a flying knee and got timed perfectly with GSP's right. That reminded me of the Buentello/Struve fight that had the best camera switch in the history of the UFC when Struve jumped into a knee, the camera switched to the view from behind Buentello, whose jumping overhand right dropped Struve into a heap.

Aside from the kick that dropped GSP, I really liked GSP's lunging jab/outside leg kick combo in the 4th or 5th round.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
I was really impressed by Condit's chin when he made the mistake of trying a flying knee and got timed perfectly with GSP's right. That reminded me of the Buentello/Struve fight that had the best camera switch in the history of the UFC when Struve jumped into a knee, the camera switched to the view from behind Buentello, whose jumping overhand right dropped Struve into a heap.

Aside from the kick that dropped GSP, I really liked GSP's lunging jab/outside leg kick combo in the 4th or 5th round.
Condit has never been knocked out or tko'd. Hes got an iron chin

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:50 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntrovert View Post

NoYards:

This is probably the most outrageous statement of the year, so now we are implying that beating an opponent for 5 rounds to a decision is better than a fighter submitting or knocking out their opponent.

Last edited by End of Line: 11-18-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Wording
ZenMaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:57 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Condit had a few moments, but for the vast majority of the fight when standing George was in control before and after the head kick. Condit threw a lot, but most of it was hitting nothing but air or arms, GSP was picking his shots, but landed more frequently and more precisely

That kick though was a thing of beauty. Came out of nowhere. Scared the bejesus out of me.
I will disagree. I don`t have any of the numbers, but from watching the fight I would say that GSP got a few more standing strikes in Round 1, and probably barely edged Condit out in round 2. Condit with the edge in round 3, and then rounds 4 and 5 were fairly even with not much happening standing. I don`t think either guy controlled the standup.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:07 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
I will disagree. I don`t have any of the numbers, but from watching the fight I would say that GSP got a few more standing strikes in Round 1, and probably barely edged Condit out in round 2. Condit with the edge in round 3, and then rounds 4 and 5 were fairly even with not much happening standing. I don`t think either guy controlled the standup.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:14 PM
m9

Unless that chart shows standing strikes, I don't really see it's significance.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:26 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

well it's offical if you can't beat GSP when he's at less then 100% no WW will do it. Bring on Silva

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:27 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Unless that chart shows standing strikes, I don't really see it's significance.
Standing Strike Stats:

Old
11-18-2012, 03:50 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Standing Strike Stats:

^ Cool, thanks. I always forget how quickly FightMetric gets stuff up. Standing strikes are pretty even.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:54 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
^ Cool, thanks. I always forget how quickly FightMetric gets stuff up. Standing strikes are pretty even.
No problemo.

For me those stats show what I saw on the screen. Condit was throwing a lot of combos that GSP was easily avoiding and then picking his own spots with Condit.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:07 PM
m9

Quote:
No problemo.

For me those stats show what I saw on the screen. Condit was throwing a lot of combos that GSP was easily avoiding and then picking his own spots with Condit.
Condit throws a lot of fairly low percentage combinations where he is willing to miss 2 or 3 shots to get 1 in. I think it worked well a few times during the fight but other times it definitely opened himself up for return fire from GSP.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:19 PM
DeathFromAbove

I was very entertained by the fight last night. Good performances by Condit & GSP. That's the most exciting GSP fight in a long time, and he showed no signs of ring rust.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
well it's offical if you can't beat GSP when he's at less then 100% no WW will do it. Bring on Silva
^^^ GSP wants none of Silva. Would love to see it go down though.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
No problemo.

He did avoid a lot of strikes but the fight was pretty even when they were standing. Then on the ground Condit actually landed more strikes than GSP even though he was on the bottom for most of the fight.

I don't know how they judge "significant" strikes because they had GSP well ahead on that but not once in that fight did I think he really hurt Condit or had him in trouble (except for the elbow that cut Condit in the first round).

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:49 PM
sabresfan129103

I don't think George should fight Silva. Silva needs to fight bigger men not smaller. Silva's already shown he can handle LHW.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Silva should go fight Bones before he fights GSP.

Also, I feel like people really underestimate how good a JBJ/Silva fight could be.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:28 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post

Also, I feel like people really underestimate how good a JBJ/Silva fight could be.

That makes sense in terms of an actual fight but from a marketing perspective, it won't happen yet. Jones' fame is not in the same capacity as GSP nor could he sell out a a dallas cowboy stadium. GSP has successfully defended his title 7 times, while Anderson Silva has defended his title 10 times. It is no dispute that the top two p4p fighters recognized by the public is Silva and GSP. This fight will be marketed as the one that will take UFC to another level.

ZenMaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:04 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
^^^ GSP wants none of Silva. Would love to see it go down though.
I disagree I think GSP want it because whats left for him at WW? he's beat condit,penn,koscheck,fitch, huges,hardy,alves,sera, sheilds the ONLY guy i'd want to see him fight is nick diaz other then that he's done it all. To answer the question what about hendricks? give him rory once rory batters penn.

I think george absolutely wants a legacy fight with silva because I believe he wants to go down as the greatest ever beating silva ensures that. Plus andersen wants it dana wants it the fans want it. I think it happens

Old
11-18-2012, 06:05 PM
I Am Beat You

People who think Jones/Silva would be more competitive than Silva/GSP are out of their minds.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:06 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post

not at all both NEED to happen