HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Thread: Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 06:51 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan insk View Post
actually i was commenting on the comment made that luke or "one of them" was terrible
if it were the schenns for luongo straight up i would do it. if it were schneider i would want a little more

the more i think about it though i like what columbus has for nhl ready prospects to make a deal. like johansen, jenner, erixon, atkinson, dorsett,anisimov, moore, foligno, etc....plus they have 3 first rounders in the next draft (theirs, LA's, and the rangers)
just dont know if a deal could be made
I still would not want Luke Schenn involved for Luongo. Would much rather just take Brayden as I don't see where Luke fits as a Canuck.

Only prospects I like out of CBJ are Johansen, Jenner and Erixon. Although I don't know a whole lot about Erixon. I wouldn't classify Anisimov, Foligno and Dorsett as prospects anymore. Atkinson although I haven't seen much of him, just reminds me of a Schroeder with more offense, plus I don't see the need for a guy like him; need size with skill.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I still would not want Luke Schenn involved for Luongo. Would much rather just take Brayden as I don't see where Luke fits as a Canuck.

Only prospects I like out of CBJ are Johansen, Jenner and Erixon. Although I don't know a whole lot about Erixon. I wouldn't classify Anisimov, Foligno and Dorsett as prospects anymore. Atkinson although I haven't seen much of him, just reminds me of a Schroeder with more offense, plus I don't see the need for a guy like him; need size with skill.
those guys may not be prospects but are young contributing nhlers. and they can contribute much sooner then a 2013 draft pick would.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
SunshineRays

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Maybe the Aquis send Philly an unmarked envelope full of cash to help out.
Lol. I don't think Holmgren needs it, he has plenty of $$ to spare.

Gotta think it's a high probability they look into buying out Bryz.

Last edited by SunshineRays: 11-18-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 01:50 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
we'd be more likely to move Edler IMHO, for Couturier ideally. We are way overloaded at ls D and need a big young 3c.

Edler, Lack, Schroeder, Raymond

Couturier, Voracek
We are not overloaded at D at all. We are thin past the top 5, and 4 of the top 5 play on the left. We have issues on D that need addressing.

The only way you trade Edler is if you have managed to acquire another asset on the right like a Mike Green, that give you some confidence of production from the D.

Lou and Raymond for Green and Neuvirth
Neuvirth to Carolina for Sanguinetti and Boychuk
Edler for Couturier

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hansen
Booth Couturier Boychuk
Malhotra Lappy Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Green
Ballard Tanev
Alberts Sanguinetti

Schneider
Lack

Old
11-19-2012, 02:16 AM
The Produce Man
Master of Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
We are not overloaded at D at all. We are thin past the top 5, and 4 of the top 5 play on the left. We have issues on D that need addressing.

The only way you trade Edler is if you have managed to acquire another asset on the right like a Mike Green, that give you some confidence of production from the D.

Lou and Raymond for Green and Neuvirth
Neuvirth to Carolina for Sanguinetti and Boychuk
Edler for Couturier

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Kesler Hansen
Booth Couturier Boychuk
Malhotra Lappy Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Green
Ballard Tanev
Alberts Sanguinetti

Schneider
Lack
I doubt Philly moves Couturier, much less for an impending UFA. I like the Caps deal, don't know about the Canes deal. They have Ward, why would they want Neuvirth?

Old
11-19-2012, 04:16 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamhuisHip View Post
I think they are talking about the amnesty buyout. Think it was 1/3 last time around.
They can park him the way Chicago parked Huet...waive him, loan him to the KHL, see how much a KHL team would be willing to pay and eat the rest ($$$ wise, cap wise, he's off because he got sent down).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
Schneider for Schenn bros
Would have done it for JVR + Schenn but not Schenn + Schenn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
We would never get Voracek without a huge overpayment, have you seem Phillys depth up front? High top end but there is nothing beyond that at all.

I could see a deal being built around Mezaros though, he would look great next to Edler, basically a perfect replacement for Ehrhoff.
They don't have a starting goalie...I'm not sure they can find another 2nd or 3rd line winger if they can fill the hole...Bryz is terrible.

This is all dependant on them being able to offload Bryz to the KHL and a lot of CBA stuff.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:48 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
They can park him the way Chicago parked Huet...waive him, loan him to the KHL, see how much a KHL team would be willing to pay and eat the rest ($$$ wise, cap wise, he's off because he got sent down).
They can't waive him, he has a NMC and NTC. This is why I believe Holmgren will think seriously about buying out Brzy now. There is no other way to get rid of him in the future if he struggles further. No team in the league will touch him or his contract if he has another yr like last.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:51 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Lol. I don't think Holmgren needs it, he has plenty of $$ to spare.

Gotta think it's a high probability they look into buying out Bryz.

Let's hope Holmgren does exactly this. However, does he get onboard with another long-term contract after just having to buy out Bryz? Hard to say.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:57 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Let's hope Holmgren does exactly this. However, does he get onboard with another long-term contract after just having to buy out Bryz? Hard to say.
I don't think he has a concern w/ long term contracts (Carter, Richards, Bryz, Simmonds, Pronger ...). I also don't think he'd be concerned about the $$ either, this guy wants his team to win. I think his biggest concern is replacement costs. He gets rid of Bryz, but what will it cost him to replace him? There's only 1 maybe 2 goalies (Bernier/Lu) on the market right now. He has limited options and no in house replacements.

After what Holmgren himself has said, and comments from Bob Mckenzie, you gotta think he seriously considers buying out Bryz (if it's included in new CBA).

Old
11-19-2012, 05:55 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
They can't waive him, he has a NMC and NTC. This is why I believe Holmgren will think seriously about buying out Brzy now. There is no other way to get rid of him in the future if he struggles further. No team in the league will touch him or his contract if he has another yr like last.
not to mention the cap hit still counts under proposed CBA changes

Old
11-19-2012, 06:03 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
LS D is overloaded: Edler, hamhuis, Garrison, Ballard, Alberts, Kcon. RS is a joke in comparison.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:17 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
If a KHL team wants him and he wants to stay there, he can waive his NMC.

The money will partially provided by the KHL team and will be guaranteed by the Flyers. He would make his guaranteed money playing a 54 game schedule instead of an 82 game schedule.

Whether it makes sense will depend a lot on how much a KHL team is willing to pay for Bryz and whether amnesty buyouts are allowed after the CBA gets done.

The Flyers have already paid $15M of his 9 year $51M contract leaving "just" $36M over the next 8 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
LS D is overloaded: Edler, hamhuis, Garrison, Ballard, Alberts, Kcon. RS is a joke in comparison.
That's why missing out on Justin Schultz hurts....Bieksa - Schultz - Tanev wouldn't be ideal but it would be reasonable considering the depth on our left-side. If Garrison can't actually play the right-side, I would think that Edler and/or Ballard will be moved quickly after the CBA is signed.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
DJ, you have to think Ballard is a goner in Vancouver. I love the guy, but it's a square peg, round hole situation. I think Garrison will be a much more ideal defenseman in that position than Ballard - at least in AV's eyes. Ballard I hope will find work somewhere in the NHL. He's still a useful player for the right team.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:52 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
DJ, you have to think Ballard is a goner in Vancouver. I love the guy, but it's a square peg, round hole situation. I think Garrison will be a much more ideal defenseman in that position than Ballard - at least in AV's eyes. Ballard I hope will find work somewhere in the NHL. He's still a useful player for the right team.
If Garrison is left-side only, I honestly think both Edler and Ballard go. You don't sign a guy to that big a contract to be on your third pair and moving Edler to the third pair would probably make resigning him impossible.

I'm almost certain that Garrison was signed to play the right side though so this is all a non-issue in my mind.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
If Garrison is left-side only, I honestly think both Edler and Ballard go. You don't sign a guy to that big a contract to be on your third pair and moving Edler to the third pair would probably make resigning him impossible.

I'm almost certain that Garrison was signed to play the right side though so this is all a non-issue in my mind.

Or Edler moves to the right?

Ballard is a goner regardless IMO. Only a matter of time... Edler signing long-term should seal his fate.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
That's why missing out on Justin Schultz hurts....Bieksa - Schultz - Tanev wouldn't be ideal but it would be reasonable considering the depth on our left-side. If Garrison can't actually play the right-side, I would think that Edler and/or Ballard will be moved quickly after the CBA is signed.
re: Schultz....does seem to go against the coaching philosophy of the team (eg., make the rookies earn their icetime). Even a guy like Tanev who didn't look out of place in the playoffs that year - didn't get primo minutes - except maybe on the Moose this past season. I doubt Schultz would've been treated any differently.

Missing out on Schultz hurts us long-term wise but doesn't affect us short-term (except perhaps in terms of depth in case of injuries) IMHO.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:05 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
re: Schultz....does seem to go against the coaching philosophy of the team (eg., make the rookies earn their icetime). Even a guy like Tanev who didn't look out of place in the playoffs that year - didn't get primo minutes - except maybe on the Moose this past season. I doubt Schultz would've been treated any differently.

Missing out on Schultz hurts us long-term wise but doesn't affect us short-term (except perhaps in terms of depth in case of injuries) IMHO.
Schultz is a swift skating puck moving defenseman who can also QB a PP. Sounds like someone we could use. Not to mention he plays the right side and his cap hit is cheap. Gillis really messed up on not promising him more.

11-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Gillis really messed up on not promising him more.
He can't promise him a roster spot. Oilers, given their situation (lottery pick team) have nothing to lose by offering him a "guaranteed spot" - assuming that is what 'tipped the scales' in their favor. Given the ceiling on rookie salaries - it wasn't an issue over money.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Steveorama

Quote:
Schultz is a swift skating puck moving defenseman who can also QB a PP. Sounds like someone we could use. Not to mention he plays the right side and his cap hit is cheap. Gillis really messed up on not promising him more.
I doubt money was the issue.
Schultz's agent is savvy enough to know that Schult7 will get big icetime in Edm, whereas in Vancouver he would be seeing third-pairing minutes, or even AHL minutes.
Guys don't normally walk straight out of school to an NHL roster, but Edmonton is desperate for d-men.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:34 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
I don't think it had anything to do with promised ice time.

Schultz clearly wants to be part of something 'special' (had to say it), IMO he's looking more for a sororiety type atmosphere with kids his own age.

As much as I hate his decision I understand it. I wont mind watching him skate around his own zone against the twins though, that should be an adventure. Schultz' cap hit is almost $4 million isn't it?

Old
11-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Bleach Clean

Luongo speculation is bordering on the -will he or won't he- mess with Sundin. It's becoming unbearable to read.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:51 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I don't think it had anything to do with promised ice time.

Schultz clearly wants to be part of something 'special' (had to say it), IMO he's looking more for a sororiety type atmosphere with kids his own age.

As much as I hate his decision I understand it. I wont mind watching him skate around his own zone against the twins though, that should be an adventure. Schultz' cap hit is almost $4 million isn't it?
Depends if the bonus cushion is brought back or not.

You could be right, and it makes sense. My thought was that Shultz wanted an NHL job and didn't want to be held down in the AHL.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Depends if the bonus cushion is brought back or not.

You could be right, and it makes sense. My thought was that Shultz wanted an NHL job and didn't want to be held down in the AHL.
I think he also wants to be "the guy" on defense, which clearly wasn't going to happen here.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I think he also wants to be "the guy" on defense, which clearly wasn't going to happen here.
Well he can be now the "only guy" on his current team.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Well he can be now the "only guy" on his current team.
Gah beat me to it lol.

I think in Edmonton he will have a chance to put up huge numbers, although Vancouver probably would have been better for his overall development.

Closed Thread