HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

ESPN ranks the Maple Leafs jersey #23 among the four major sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2012, 01:19 AM
  #26
HellasLEAF
Bring back Killer
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,885
vCash: 500
the Habs do have one of the best logo's and jersey sets though. No not the best, but one of the best I will grant them that.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:43 AM
  #27
Eyedea
Breakout Player
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,324
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
the Habs do have one of the best logo's and jersey sets though. No not the best, but one of the best I will grant them that.
Safe to say that the Original Six have awesome logos + uniforms.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:28 AM
  #28
Bodybr3ak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Burlington
Country: Canada
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Lettuce be reality, it doesn't get any better than this:



If I was not a die hard leafs fan I would rock their gear all the time. Logo/colour combo is aesthetic as fuark.

Bodybr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:18 AM
  #29
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,512
vCash: 500
The best part of this is the comment at the bottom-
Quote:
"Have that gay guy in the office do the rankings"
LOL

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:20 AM
  #30
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,512
vCash: 500
The original 6 jerseys are definitely great jerseys and logos but I agree, the Hawks are simply the best. As much as I like the Leafs jersey, Chicago blows everyone else away.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:25 AM
  #31
LordRamsay
Come out and flay
 
LordRamsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 588
Tigers are way too low, one of the best unis in MLB. Mets, #19? Seriously? The New York effing Mets? Ridiculous. Whoa, just noticed Jays are #21, two ahead of the Leafs.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:37 AM
  #32
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybr3ak View Post
Lettuce be reality, it doesn't get any better than this:



If I was not a die hard leafs fan I would rock their gear all the time. Logo/colour combo is aesthetic as fuark.
For what its worth and that isnt much.....because its all just opinion but the Hawks uniform and logo are heads and shoulders above all other NHL crests/color schemes. I loved them from growing up. Even owned a white Hawks home jersey when I was 10 years old. I remember as a kid that the Hawks were my second fave team just because of the uniforms...or maybe it had to do with Hull and Mikita.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:39 AM
  #33
Kibago
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Rangers should be first in the NHL, I think. but generally a good list.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:00 AM
  #34
Espher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredericton, N.B.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,495
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Dude it is a Trivial Pursuit question.

Leafs is a spelling error. Regardless of believe, LEAFS is not a proper English word.
Breaking: Proper Names (edit: or brand names, if you really want to get particular over what is and isn't a proper name) are not always words in the English dictionary.

More on this story at eleven.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:24 AM
  #35
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
For what its worth and that isnt much.....because its all just opinion but the Hawks uniform and logo are heads and shoulders above all other NHL crests/color schemes. I loved them from growing up. Even owned a white Hawks home jersey when I was 10 years old. I remember as a kid that the Hawks were my second fave team just because of the uniforms...or maybe it had to do with Hull and Mikita.
Me too.

Despite being a diehard Leaf fan, once Denis Savard was passed by the Habs in the draft and then selected by Chicago he quickly became one of my favourite NHLers.

I actually still have his #18 named Hawks jersey in my memorabilia collection both for the player and the jersey itself because I liked the logo.


__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:47 AM
  #36
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,019
vCash: 657
Terrible list, at least the Jays got a little recognition.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:41 PM
  #37
korndog81
Registered User
 
korndog81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Parry Sound
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Type LEAFS into Dictionary.com
Can I use my scrabble dictionary instead?

korndog81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:10 PM
  #38
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Blackhawks is the best to me too. Second for me is the Red Wings.





Last edited by mapleleaf979: 11-18-2012 at 07:23 PM.
mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:14 PM
  #39
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Dude it is a Trivial Pursuit question.

Leafs is a spelling error. Regardless of believe, LEAFS is not a proper English word.
You're incorrect. The other poster gave you the proper grammatical name.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
  #40
Hyperglide
Registered User
 
Hyperglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,794
vCash: 500
Whoever made this list really likes the letter 'C' WTF? The top 4 are all C's in some way or another. LOL @ Raptors at 92 wtf? Also the Jazz are over the Leafs?

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:27 PM
  #41
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Breaking: Proper Names (edit: or brand names, if you really want to get particular over what is and isn't a proper name) are not always words in the English dictionary.

More on this story at eleven.
It is a name that is a grammatical error.

What is so hard to understand?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:30 PM
  #42
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
You're incorrect. The other poster gave you the proper grammatical name.
Leafs is Grammatically incorrect. They are the only professional franchise to have this distinction.

I thought you guys might like the trivia, but NO.
Let's get all pissy about it. Sheesh.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:38 PM
  #43
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,986
vCash: 500
Pfff. The Wings jersey is way better than the habs.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:49 PM
  #44
7even
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Leafs is Grammatically incorrect. They are the only professional franchise to have this distinction.

I thought you guys might like the trivia, but NO.
Let's get all pissy about it. Sheesh.
"Leafs" is in fact grammatically correct, as it is the correct pluarlization of a proper noun - the Maple Leaf Regiment from WWI. In the case of a proper noun, you leave the root unchanged and just add an '-s.'

I can appreciate the trivia that the Leafs are the only team that seemingly have an incorrect name though

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:54 PM
  #45
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Leafs is Grammatically incorrect. They are the only professional franchise to have this distinction.

I thought you guys might like the trivia, but NO.
Let's get all pissy about it. Sheesh.
No it isn't. It doesn't matter how many times you say it is incorrect, it will always be correct. The only one getting "pissy" is you. We're telling you what is correct and two people have given you the exact reason why it is correct. Anyone who says it is incorrect has no idea what the Leafs are named after.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:01 PM
  #46
SmoggyTwinkles
Registered User
 
SmoggyTwinkles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Type LEAFS into Dictionary.com
Type EINSTEINS into Dictionary.com

Get it?

SmoggyTwinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:07 PM
  #47
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
No it isn't. It doesn't matter how many times you say it is incorrect, it will always be correct. The only one getting "pissy" is you. We're telling you what is correct and two people have given you the exact reason why it is correct. Anyone who says it is incorrect has no idea what the Leafs are named after.
It has nothing to do with WHO they are named after.

the multiple of Leaf is Leaves. So Leafs is incorrect.

That is it that is all.

It was just a lousy piece of trivia.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:11 PM
  #48
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
It has nothing to do with WHO they are named after.

the multiple of Leaf is Leaves. So Leafs is incorrect.

That is it that is all.

It was just a lousy piece of trivia.
It has EVERYTHING to do with who they are named after. Look at any grammar resource you want and every single one will tell you the exact same thing with regard to proper nouns, which the word Maple Leaf is.

You are definitely correct that it is a "lousy" piece of trivia because it is an incorrect piece of trivia.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:13 PM
  #49
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
It has EVERYTHING to do with who they are named after. Look at any grammar resource you want and every single one will tell you the exact same thing with regard to proper nouns, which the word Maple Leaf is.

You are definitely correct that it is a "lousy" piece of trivia because it is an incorrect piece of trivia.
Pretty sure I raked up Maple Leaves in my back yard and not a bunch of Maple LEafs.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:22 PM
  #50
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Pretty sure I raked up Maple Leaves in my back yard and not a bunch of Maple LEafs.
Yes, you did rake up maple leaves. If you raked up members of the Maple Leaf regiment, you would have raked up Maple Leafs.

Do you understand what a proper noun is because it appears you do not?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.