HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 08:24 AM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Landeskog played in the CHL his draft year which helped him. I'm not sure how I'd rank these 3, though they are probably comfortably 3-4-5 right now in some order. Don't think we will have a shot of them anyway which is unfortunate, in fact the Leafs probably end up with one of them too...
I think we should (all) flat out stop speculating about draft order, just too many scenarios outhere. Imo there will be a short NHL season, but if there is a lottery, anything can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Most teams actually have Jones as the consensus #1. MacKinnonhas lost a bit of ground so far this year and guys like Monohan Barnov Drouin etc are gaining on him.
I don't care what others think, that doesn't make it right. Not saying that I am right either, just suggesting that there is no truth and that I am quite tired of this kind of replies that are not in fact factual. (You don't know what teams are thinking, please kindly, stop this ****.)

Share your opinion, back it up with your observations, that's all we can do here.

Last edited by overlords: 11-18-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old
11-18-2012, 12:00 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Really like Maletta as a 50th+ pick. Reminds me of Dwight King for the Monarchs/Kings. Skates really well for 6'3". Excellent physical display and solid defensively. Minor improvements: shot and 1st step. I think he'll be a good grinder.

Rychel is not 1st round material to me. This is probably the 5-6th time I've seen him the season and he's just too invisible even when he scores. He gets top minutes+PP no matter what his form is like. I really wonder how he would be treated if his dad weren't GM. He's talented but he's missing intensity and desire to have the puck.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I like Eric Roy - D - Brandon Wheat Kings if we can get him with one of our 2nd round picks.

Probably won't be anything more than a #4 or #5 d-man but has decent size 6' 3", good mobility and decent defensively and offensively. Good all-around player. Like the way he plays the game, a bit raw.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:57 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I like Eric Roy - D - Brandon Wheat Kings if we can get him with one of our 2nd round picks.

Probably won't be anything more than a #4 or #5 d-man but has decent size 6' 3", good mobility and decent defensively and offensively. Good all-around player. Like the way he plays the game, a bit raw.
If the Habs draft Ryan Pulock in the 1st round getting Eric Roy as a late 2nd or 3rd could be great for depth,as not all of the Dmen in Hamilton look ready for the pros.

Old
11-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:

Just an example how draft order can fluctuate a lot before the actual draft, in last season mocks I've seen, Roy was a top 10 pick. Now he's set for the 2nd round...

A lot can still change, if we could grab him in the 2nd or 3rd round, damn yeah, could be another Eric Brewer.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:07 PM
That

Now that we are nearing the 25 game mark in the OHL, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on 4 of better known draft eligible prospects.

I'm going to start with probably my favourite player for this years draft; Sean Monahan. He started off the season with 7 points in 4 games, but I wasn't happy with his performance. He looked completely uninterested defensively offensively, despite the point totals, looked lost. Then it all changed. He looked dominant offensively and was shutting down the opposition. Since then, he's been heavily engaged in all three zones, even raking up a 11 game point streak (21 points). He's been held of the short sheet for 3 games, but he's still looked great offensively and of course defensively. Unless something changes, he will be in the NHL next year. He's that good.

Ryan Kujawinski had a rough start to his OHL career. He got traded to Kingston, and hasn't looked back since. He put 30 points in 30 games to close his first OHL season. This year, he's kept up the momentum. He started off the year winning the OHL player of the week. He's a big, skilled, playmaking centre. He's still very raw at this point, but he's insanely talented. He's very inconsistent and has a weak defensive game. However, don't be surprised if he goes higher than expected on draft day. While he's a project, he has an undeniable talent level.

Sault Ste Marie's towering defenceman Darnell Nurse is having quite the year. He's a 6'05" 192 lb defenceman with a mean streak. Not only that, but he skates incredible well and is a rock defensively. He's possesses a booming slapshot and great offensive instincts as well. He's put up 16 points in 23 games so far this season. Since Sproul went down with injury, he's been relied on to carry his team both offensively and defensively. He's thrived in that pressure. At this point, he still is very raw and inconsistent. I'd really like the Habs to draft him. He's the perfect fit for team. He plays on the left side and is great defensively, he'd be a perfect partner for PK.

Last one, the Storm's Jason Dickinson has to be my biggest riser. At the beginning of the year I did not consider him a first round talent. After his monster month of October where he posted 14 points in 11 games, I'm sure many feel he's a first round talent now. He's a very complete player, especially for his age. He possesses a great defensive game, and brings a consistent level of compete every night. He's also very disciplined, only picking up 2 PIM. That's very impressive, especially when you take into account that he's a physical player. Like Rychel, his physical game is a inconsistent. He's the complete package offensively as well. He's a great playmaker, has a great wrist shot, and has great puck skills. I'd like to see him play with more intensity though, he tends to go extended periods of time where he doesn't do much at all.

Thanks for those who took the time to read this. Also, this isn't a ranking of the players, it's just some thoughts on 4 OHL players so far into this young season.

Last edited by That: 11-18-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old
11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Jonathan Drouin 2 goals vs Val D'or tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyMJgsJzUYI

Old
11-18-2012, 08:22 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Now that we are nearing the 25 game mark in the OHL, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on 4 of better known draft eligible prospects.

I'm going to start with probably my favourite player for this years draft; Sean Monahan. He started off the season with 7 points in 4 games, but I wasn't happy with his performance. He looked completely uninterested defensively offensively, despite the point totals, looked lost. Then it all changed. He looked dominant offensively and was shutting down the opposition. Since then, he's been heavily engaged in all three zones, even raking up a 11 game point streak (21 points). He's been held of the short sheet for 3 games, but he's still looked great offensively and of course defensively. Unless something changes, he will be in the NHL next year. He's that good.

Ryan Kujawinski had a rough start to his OHL career. He got traded to Kingston, and hasn't looked back since. He put 30 points in 30 games to close his first OHL season. This year, he's kept up the momentum. He started off the year winning the OHL player of the week. He's a big, skilled, playmaking centre. He's still very raw at this point, but he's insanely talented. He's very inconsistent and has a weak defensive game. However, don't be surprised if he goes higher than expected on draft day. While he's a project, he has an undeniable talent level.

Sault Ste Marie's towering defenceman Darnell Nurse is having quite the year. He's a 6'05" 192 lb defenceman with a mean streak. Not only that, but he skates incredible well and is a rock defensively. He's possesses a booming slapshot and great offensive instincts as well. He's put up 16 points in 23 games so far this season. Since Sproul went down with injury, he's been relied on to carry his team both offensively and defensively. He's thrived in that pressure. At this point, he still is very raw and inconsistent. I'd really like the Habs to draft him. He's the perfect fit for team. He plays on the left side and is great defensively, he'd be a perfect partner for PK.

Last one, the Storm's Jason Dickinson has to be my biggest riser. At the beginning of the year I did not consider him a first round talent. After his monster month of October where he posted 14 points in 11 games, I'm sure many feel he's a first round talent now. He's a very complete player, especially for his age. He possesses a great defensive game, and brings a consistent level of compete every night. He's also very disciplined, only picking up 2 PIM. That's very impressive, especially when you take into account that he's a physical player. Like Rychel, his physical game is a inconsistent. He's the complete package offensively as well. He's a great playmaker, has a great wrist shot, and has great puck skills. I'd like to see him play with more intensity though, he tends to go extended periods of time where he doesn't do much at all.

Thanks for those who took the time to read this. Also, this isn't a ranking of the players, it's just some thoughts on 4 OHL players so far into this young season.
Thanks for the report man. Really appreciate it. I have a friend who has been really high on Nurse for a long time now. While I'd love a draft pick that's too high to pick Nurse at, he'd be a fantastic consolation prize

Just stop rising already.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
11-18-2012, 08:22 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:

Other than monahan who should be top 5, where do you think the other 3 will go in the draft. I have seen many rankings and they are all over the place.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

I've been impressed by Roy too. Probably a bit of a project but he looks like he has a lot of upside.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

I think we should start to look at which players could be options for our several 2nd rounders.

I know some out here don't particularly like his upside as a 1st rounder *cough* WTK *cough*, but Duclair would certainly be a guy I would target in the 2nd round.

A guy like William Carrier could also fall into our lap.

Other guys I like who could/should be there: Grégoire, Dauphin, Zykov, Fasching, Sorensen, Fucale, Ewanyk.

You'll notice there's a lot of Q players, that's because I've mostly watched this league this year.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:10 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I think we should start to look at which players could be options for our several 2nd rounders.

I know some out here don't particularly like his upside as a 1st rounder *cough* WTK *cough*, but Duclair would certainly be a guy I would target in the 2nd round.

Other guys I like who could/should be there: Grégoire, Dauphin, Zykov, Fasching, Sorensen, Fucale, Ewanyk.

You'll notice there's a lot of Q players, that's because I've mostly watched this league this year.
Don't want Fasching or Sorensen and Fucale should not go past the 1st round. That would be a mistake.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:04 AM
BigHab*

Does any have a scoop on big Antoine Laganiere who just finished playing for Yale and will become a college free agent? I understand from the HF article he has gone to a couple of camps in the past. Anyone seen him play?

Old
11-19-2012, 03:05 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Thanks for the report man. Really appreciate it. I have a friend who has been really high on Nurse for a long time now. While I'd love a draft pick that's too high to pick Nurse at, he'd be a fantastic consolation prize

Just stop rising already.
You're welcome. I'm a huge fan of Nurse too. I know this a bold prediction, but I would be surprised if he was the second defenceman picked on draft day. He's that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Other than monahan who should be top 5, where do you think the other 3 will go in the draft. I have seen many rankings and they are all over the place.
Kujawinski - 20-25
Nurse - 10-20
Dickinson - 20-25

On my current CHL rankings I have Nurse ranked at 10, Kujawinski at 13, and Dickinson at 15. I haven't seen enough of the European players to justify my rankings of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post

I'd love Zykov or Sorensen in the second the round.

Right now my number 1 target for the second round is the Owen Sound Attack's Chris Bigras. He's a smooth defenceman who doesn't really have any flaws in his game. He's basically this years Xavier Ouellet or Matt Finn. He also plays on the left side which is an area of weakness for our prospect pool. He'd be a very solid pick.

Last edited by That: 11-19-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 03:37 PM
S Bah

I know the Habs have a boatload of defencemen prospects coming,but they can sure use another high-end like Top Ten draft pick to share the load with Subban,IMO.My choice of course has and will remain Seth Jones until he's drafted by NYI's.After him there are still some good Dmen like;Rasmus Ristolainen,Ryan Pulock,Darnell Nurse,Ryan Graves,Robert Hagg or Nikita Zadorov.These are probably the cream this year with size,talent and a better two-way game than any Hab prospect in the system. unless there is a BPA with "Elite Forward" talent.In a deep draft like this one the Habs should draft a future star and with a top ten pick maybe two stars,like last year with Gally & Collberg.There are lots of Francophone players available Drouin and Carrier being 1st round talent Erne might fall to the 2nd with Mantha and Gauthier,but like I say BPA and there are plenty to choose from this year.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:26 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

LD is definitely not a weakness in our pool.. unless you're not counting the 2 AHL rookies.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
LD is definitely not a weakness in our pool.. unless you're not counting the 2 AHL rookies.
There's Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bennett, Nash and that's it. Compared to the right side where there is Ellis, Thrower, Dietz, Pateryn, Nygren, Didier and Sullivan. So yes, I'd say it's rather weak.

There is more talent on the left side, but there's better depth on the right side. I'd say LD is actually the weakest out of any position, expect goaltending. Well it certainly isn't terrible, it's actually fairly good, there's less depth than any other position.

EDIT: I'm not saying that our depth is weak, well I am, but I'm referring to in comparison with the rest of our prospect pool. I value depth, variety, and versatility more than others, and some may value raw skill more. Ideally, you have a good combination of both, which our prospect pool does.

Last edited by That: 11-19-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 06:15 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
There's Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bennett, Nash and that's it. Compared to the right side where there is Ellis, Thrower, Dietz, Pateryn, Nygren, Didier and Sullivan. So yes, I'd say it's rather weak.

There is more talent on the left side, but there's better depth on the right side. I'd say LD is actually the weakest out of any position, expect goaltending. Well it certainly isn't terrible, it's actually fairly good, there's less depth than any other position.
When you have Tinordi Beaulieu Bennett on the left side, your depth is certainly not weak at this position.. I mean all 3 have serious NHL potenital..

Old
11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
S Bah

Who is Sweden's-RH-Center Viktor Crus Rydberg @ 5'11"-202 lbs he started the season not ranked in the Top Sixty a C/rated player that is now A/rated and 27th overall in November's ISS Top Thirty.Elias Lindholm was supposed to be the next Forsberg is he being overtaken by the fast rising Rydberg,I guess we'll get the lowdown when Craig Button returns from Sweden with his take on the European Top Draft picks in his new list for November.The Final List for 2013's Top Thirty could be quite a change from September 2012-June 2013 and the 1st overall choice could be between six players or more by then.I have a feeling the 1st overall pick could be a Francophone for the first time this millenium,with a half a dozen to choose from another first since the 1900's.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:55 PM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Who is Sweden's-RH-Center Viktor Crus Rydberg @ 5'11"-202 lbs he started the season not ranked in the Top Sixty a C/rated player that is now A/rated and 27th overall in November's ISS Top Thirty.Elias Lindholm was supposed to be the next Forsberg is he being overtaken by the fast rising Rydberg,I guess we'll get the lowdown when Craig Button returns from Sweden with his take on the European Top Draft picks in his new list for November.The Final List for 2013's Top Thirty could be quite a change from September 2012-June 2013 and the 1st overall choice could be between six players or more by then.I have a feeling the 1st overall pick could be a Francophone for the first time this millenium,with a half a dozen to choose from another first since the 1900's.
M-A Fleury says hi!

Old
11-19-2012, 08:43 PM
IcemanTBI

I echo the sentiments about Nurse. Been watching him since he came here. He has progressed very well, and will be a great NHL d-man someday. Very steady at the back, and is very impressive picking up the load with the Sproul injury. Would love to see him in the bleu, blanc rouge.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
M-A Fleury says hi!
That's a pretty valid argument and say hi for me,thanks.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI View Post
I echo the sentiments about Nurse. Been watching him since he came here. He has progressed very well, and will be a great NHL d-man someday. Very steady at the back, and is very impressive picking up the load with the Sproul injury. Would love to see him in the bleu, blanc rouge.
He gives me a Tyler Myers vibe pre draft, big, mobile has a good shot but very raw, has untapped potential though. Draft interviews will play a big role in him going anywhere from 8-10 to the late teens, just takes one team to love the character because the current ability combined with size and potential is very solid as of now.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:12 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
There was a thread 1 or 2 years back on the Prospect boards about him and he was compared to Backstrom. Haven't heard much from him since then though.

Old
11-20-2012, 04:08 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Crus Rydberg might be a riser but I doubt he will go in the top 30. He is not going to get a lot of icetime in the SEL this season. He was a freak of nature at 14, the best player at that age I've ever seen. Then he switched team and his production went down and he was not selected to the national teams anymore. He was apparently not willing to work hard enough. He has bounced back this season though and has looked really good on his junior team and on the national team. He is similar to Lindholm in terms of style (perhaps not as aggressive and physical) but Lindholm is better at everything at the moment. Skating was said to be an issue but that looked just fine the last time I saw him play. The raw talent is there but it would be a big gamble to take him with an early pick imo.

Another guy from Sweden that has been on the rise all season is Alexander Wennberg who scored a hat-trick in Allsvenskan this Sunday. One of the oldest guys in the draft. Playmaker with soft hands and extremely smooth skating, this guy will be a first-rounder if he can keep it up.

Closed Thread