HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XXI)

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

vCash: 500
If we somehow manage to keep Zajac for Plekanec`s money, Lou should get a statue asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
I said in.the kovy thread, what about looking.into acquiring tikhonovs rights from.phoenix and luring him back.to NA to play on a wing.with kovy. They seem to be having a blast.playing together in.the KHL. not.saying it would translate back.here but he's also a big body which Pete always likes.
Plausible. It`s up to Lou whether he wants to explore that option. I`m sure he`s paying attention. He pretty much has to sit on his hands right now.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
If we somehow manage to keep Zajac for Plekanec`s money, Lou should get a statue asap.
I wouldn't necessarily say 5.5 is much of a bargain lol deserving of a statue.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say 5.5 is much of a bargain lol deserving of a statue.
He`s getting 5mil, I`d say that is a bargain for a player we depend on in every situation, even more so after Parise`s departure.

No way we can keep him for less, that`s for sure.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
He`s getting 5mil, I`d say that is a bargain for a player we depend on in every situation, even more so after Parise`s departure.
Yea my mistake. I'd be on board for that completely.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

What scares me about Zajac, is just about every big FA we've had since Niedermayer, has left to sign elsewhere with the exception of Kovy

I've become accustomed to it at this point and almost expect it unfortunately

Old
11-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

It's good for us that there is such a fertile UFA class coming up, being that we've got a few of our own, potentially. The market won't be as crazy because there are more big names out there competing for the same contracts.

Losing Zajac would be worse than losing Parise, due to the compounding affect of losing our second top-line forward in two offseasons. Get it done, Lou. Get it done.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Devils1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
What scares me about Zajac, is just about every big FA we've had since Niedermayer, has left to sign elsewhere with the exception of Kovy

I've become accustomed to it at this point and almost expect it unfortunately

Marty did re-sign here, not that I ever thought he would go anyplace else but he did have the option.

Elias re-signed here after being courted by the Rangers (unlike Gomez, Holik, Driver).

Gionta ($5+) and Rafalski (6+) got stupid money at the time.

Like so many of those others who left and wound up being garbage on their new teams (except Neids and maybe Rafalski), I feel that Zajac is worth more to the Devils that he might be to other teams. He is our 1st line center but he doesn't really put up 1st line center points and would slot in very nicely as a 2nd line center in man places. How much is a 2nd line center worth salary wise? I think we could complete with whatever he is offered but ultimately with UFA, it's really all about where the guy wants to play, sometimes regardless of the cash...

Old
11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Bergeron (5mil)
Plekanec (5mil)
Kesler (5mil)
Richards (5.75mil)
Sharp (5.9mil)
Staal (6mil)

Just about right.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Bergeron (5mil)
Plekanec (5mil)
Kesler (5mil)
Richards (5.75mil)
Sharp (5.9mil)
Staal (6mil)

Just about right.
When were those deals signed and what was the cap, you have to compare it to the cap ceiling when they signed it or it's irrelevant. It's the same reason Parise's 7.8 million per year was a good deal with a 70 million dollar cap ceiling as Kovalchuks was with a 60? million dollar ceiling.

Cap hit to cap ceiling ratio is pretty crucial in determining what players make. If the cap comes down, the new UFAs will lose some money no doubt.

Plus, Richards and Staal's deals were long term, they would've made a lot more on a short-term basis. Zajac will probably get a 5.5 million dollar deal for about five or six years. If it's a longer deal, then he will probably make 5 million a year.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Marty did re-sign here, not that I ever thought he would go anyplace else but he did have the option.

Elias re-signed here after being courted by the Rangers (unlike Gomez, Holik, Driver).

Gionta ($5+) and Rafalski (6+) got stupid money at the time.

Like so many of those others who left and wound up being garbage on their new teams (except Neids and maybe Rafalski), I feel that Zajac is worth more to the Devils that he might be to other teams. He is our 1st line center but he doesn't really put up 1st line center points and would slot in very nicely as a 2nd line center in man places. How much is a 2nd line center worth salary wise? I think we could complete with whatever he is offered but ultimately with UFA, it's really all about where the guy wants to play, sometimes regardless of the cash...
True on Marty and Elias resigning, but do not forget Elias was very close to signing with the Rangers

Zajac has the #1 C position locked up here for the foreseeable future if he wants it

Losing him sets us back even further with 2 of our other C options either aging or having expiring contracts (Elias, Zubrus)

We lose him, our offense looks something like this (assuming Zubrus/Elias are back)

Elias/Henrique/Kovy
Zubrus/Josefson/Clarkson
?/?/?
Bernier/Carter/Gio

Old
11-18-2012, 08:52 PM
AirheadPete

Ill hate it if we lose zubrus, my favorite devil plus id say basically everyone loves the game he brings. He needs to stay

Old
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
True on Marty and Elias resigning, but do not forget Elias was very close to signing with the Rangers

Zajac has the #1 C position locked up here for the foreseeable future if he wants it

Losing him sets us back even further with 2 of our other C options either aging or having expiring contracts (Elias, Zubrus)

We lose him, our offense looks something like this (assuming Zubrus/Elias are back)

Elias/Henrique/Kovy
Zubrus/Josefson/Clarkson
?/?/?
Bernier/Carter/Gio
Now, if we lose one of Zubrus, Elias, or Clarkson, along with Zajac, or even two of the first three, we are screwed. Worst part is, we likely won't have our first round pick that year...

Last edited by Zippy316: 11-18-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old
11-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Mgd31

I'd resign:

Zubrus for 2 years x 2.5 million
Clarkson for 3 years x 3.75 million (Maybe 4)
Elias for 3 years x 5.25 million
Zajack for 5 years 5.5 million

Old
11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I'd resign:

Reasonable.

I hope Clarkson settles back to normal. If he has two back-to-back 25+ goal seasons, he's going to ask for too much. If he gets a 20g season or less, he will get somewhere around 3.5.

I think Zubrus will get 3 million though, but I like those numbers. I think Lou knows how vital Zubrus is to this team, it's almost like Salvador where it is worth maybe the extra year or a bit more salary for the intangibles he brings.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Am I dreaming or something? Are you seriously saying you`d be happier if Clarkson scored less goals?

That`s crazy talk.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:00 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Am I dreaming or something? Are you seriously saying you`d be happier if Clarkson scored less goals?

That`s crazy talk.
I certainly wouldn't be happy.

But let's be real for a second - he's isn't going to even come close to 30 goals ever again in his career.

I see him averaging 22-24 from here on out, maybe hitting 25 once or twice.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post

But let's be real for a second - he's isn't going to even come close to 30 goals ever again in his career.

Wait, we haven`t been yet?

He`s overachieving for sure. That said, all I see is improvement from a player that simply has a damn solid wrist shot and good offensive awareness. While I can`t see him constantly producing at this rate, I can`t see him falling off a cliff either. So, no, I wouldn`t want any drop in his production, even if it means we get him back for less. Those goals count, most of them anyway. He might get overpaid a bit, but that`s the price I`m willing to pay. You take the good with the bad. It`s not 35yo Rolston we`re talking about here.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I'd resign:

I'd be alright with all of this. Maybe I'd go to $4.5 for Clarkson, and 4 years. If he goes to UFA someone DUMB(Burke, and others) will offer him $5 I'm sure which won't be worth it. Cap hit don't bother me with Patty, but I'd rather go 2 years. He will be 37 next Summer after all.

$1.5-$2 million for Josefson for however many years, and Henrique $2.5 million to $3 million at the very most. With a shortened NHL season at least I think that should lower what Henrique could have potentially gotten. As far as Butler, and Tedenby go for RFA raises I'll give that a big incomplete at this time.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Now, if we lose one of Zubrus, Elias, or Clarkson, along with Zajac, or even two of the first three, we are screwed. Worst part is, we likely won't have our first round pick that year...
It's gunna be a big off season regarding some of the future of this team

Old
11-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
I fully expect Elias and Clarkson to stay.

Zajac, I'm optimistic. I think he appreciates how good he has it here.

If the new CBA still has a cap floor, we'll have to spend money SOMEWHERE. I'm optimistic we'll keep our guys and won't lose them regardless of the financial situation.
I also think those two and Zubrus will stay.

Zajac is also something I'm optimistic about, but we said similar things about Parise knowing how good he had it, and he jumped ship. Yet to be seen. If the season is wiped I am less optimistic.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Patty I think will be the one guy that stays no matter what. I just don't want another stressful, exciting, July 1st like last year. All the scare of Marty being on the market, on top of the Parise situation. I hope they don't pull that with Patty next year. At least sign him before July 1st. He might not wanna take a back seat the way Marty did last year.

He's had his chance to leave, unless Lou lowballs him really bad he'll stay. He's a vet, he'll be 37, and he's been drafted by us, and been here 16-17 years now, and he's the best forward to ever play for us, and will be the first to have his number retired. He cried when he broke the Devils points record on the bench. I really don't think he has any desire to ''Test the market'' unless he is unwanted, or not wanted enough.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Let me say this. Zajac has always been a better character than Parise, more sincere, never complaining about anything. Also, his brothers were given a chance in the Devils organization. I tend to believe he appreciates all of what we`ve done for him to this point.

If there`s any indication that he`ll bolt, Lou should finally do what`s necessary and trade him before it`s too late. Let`s see if he`s a hometown boy too. If that`s the case, do whatever you need to get either Enstrom or young Burmistrov.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:45 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Let me say this. Zajac has always been a better character than Parise, more sincere, never complaining about anything. Also, his brothers were given a chance in the Devils organization. I tend to believe he appreciates all of what we`ve done for him to this point.

If there`s any indication that he`ll bolt, Lou should finally do what`s necessary and trade him before it`s too late. Let`s see if he`s a hometown boy too. If that`s the case, do whatever you need to get either Enstrom or young Burmistrov.
Impressive post to me. I believe that is certainly true. He does not have a mind****ing father either (at least what we know) which might make it easier for him to not be a homeboy.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:

I would not be at all surprised if he did score 25 goals two, maybe three more times.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
This is true, Lou giving all of his brothers a job has to help us. But business can sometimes trump that. If someone is willing to pay him a salary we will not match, we could still lose him despite having his brothers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I would not be at all surprised if he did score 25 goals two, maybe three more times.
I hope so. I'm a bit worried that 30 was an unrepeatable fluke.

Closed Thread