HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN Power Rankings of NHL uniforms

Old
11-18-2012, 05:51 PM
park rangers
Optimist

vCash: 500
Regarding Blackhawks. IMO their whites are great looking. The reds? terrible.
That red color seems dull, much like the Rangers home blue

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:08 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Yawk Ranguhs View Post
Regarding Blackhawks. IMO their whites are great looking. The reds? terrible.
That red color seems dull, much like the Rangers home blue
I always liked the Rangers blue jersey, especially live when they wore them on the road.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:16 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Not to mention that they don't even have the current logo displayed on the list and then accuse the Oilers of not changing their logo in 40 years. Last time I checked the Oilers haven't even been around for 40 years....
You should check again because the last time you checked, you checked wrong.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
I'll get flak cause I'm an O6 fan but O6 jerseys are the best, classics, timeless. However there are many post-O6 jerseys that are spectacular as well.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:01 PM
HuskerTornado
Those Aren't Pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk Tuk View Post
Pittsburgh and Ottawa have the exact same jersey essentially. How is one 99th, and the other 26th? Not that either should be ranked highly.
Skating Penguin, bud.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
You should check again because the last time you checked, you checked wrong.
Not in the NHL

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:09 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Not in the NHL
That's irrelevant. Their lame logo is 40 years old. You are wrong.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1000
Quote:
That's irrelevant. Their lame logo is 40 years old. You are wrong.
Yep. That's like saying that the Canadiens are 95 years old.

11-18-2012, 08:26 PM
proper animal
Sorry by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
How is it cartoonish? It may not be a classic like MTL,TOR,CHI,DET,BOS, etc. But it's nowhere near the cartoonish levels of the Panthers, Senators, Pittsburgh, TB, Nashville.
I'm not a fan of those either.

proper animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:50 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Okay. Apparently you fail at reading so I'll try to explain this again. The definition of classic is that you can't tell when it was created. You can tell when the abomination that is the Oilers logo was created. It's as dated as shag carpet and vista cruisers.
Maybe to clear things up, we should use the word "timeless". The Oil logo is a 1985 Pontiac Fiero.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Slicknitty
The Crappening

vCash: 0
I think what everyone needs to realize is that this whole thing is based on art and is therefore purely subjective. Having said that, one has to ask themselves why they think so low of one logo and so highly of another using the same argument (time in this case, whether it's deemed "classic" or "outdated" is saying the same thing -- they're both based on the same concept). People have their aversions and attachments for their own reasons and feelings and you can't take that away from them. But at least give a good reason as to why you think it's good or bad...some of you guys sound outright hateful.

As for the oilers logo, I think its beauty lies in its simplicity and minimalism. It works well IMHO.

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
You may need to accept the reality that nobody really considers the Oil logo as iconic except Oil fans.

While I appreciate your attempt at "storied", "flash in the pan" might be more apt. The last 20+ years speak more the real Oilers to most people, like it or not.
Not that I want to get dragged into this pissing contest, but you're talking about a franchise that was one of the final four for 8 out of 10 years, a level of dominance the NHL will never see again.

"Flash in the pan" indeed.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:52 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
I think what everyone needs to realize is that this whole thing is based on art and is therefore purely subjective. Having said that, one has to ask themselves why they think so low of one logo and so highly of another using the same argument (time in this case, whether it's deemed "classic" or "outdated" is saying the same thing -- they're both based on the same concept). People have their aversions and attachments for their own reasons and feelings and you can't take that away from them. But at least give a good reason as to why you think it's good or bad...some of you guys sound outright hateful.

As for the oilers logo, I think its beauty lies in its simplicity and minimalism. It works well IMHO.
I certainly don't hate the logo, but the font and style is very dated. I just was amused by it being called classic and iconic. It's just a logo that I am completely neutral on.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:58 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Not that I want to get dragged into this pissing contest, but you're talking about a franchise that was one of the final four for 8 out of 10 years, a level of dominance the NHL will never see again.

"Flash in the pan" indeed.
We need to move on from the 80's. The Oil have spent as much time in the NHL being a doormat as they have been a dominant team. While that's certainly not a big deal, this idea that the Oilers and the jersey are somehow iconic is hilarious. In Edmonton I have no doubt it is, but that can't be what we are talking about.

But we can nitpick stats all day long to avoid the actual topic, that seems to be the theme.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Slicknitty
The Crappening

Quote:
I certainly don't hate the logo, but the font and style is very dated. I just was amused by it being called classic and iconic. It's just a logo that I am completely neutral on.
Apple the company has been using the same logo, albeit with different colors and textures for the entire run of their existence, along with many other companies . As much as you like to sneer at the oilers logo, you have to understand that it's a big part of the team's identity. It's associated with one of the best pro teams to have ever existed in any sport. That is exactly what makes it classic and iconic.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

Quote:
We need to move on from the 80's. The Oil have spent as much time in the NHL being a doormat as they have been a dominant team.
Don't condescend to me, I was born in the late '80s and I'm not arguing that the Oilers franchise of the last 20 years is anything but unimpressive but people STILL talk about those years, and calling them a "flash in the pan" franchise is so stupid. Who the hell are you? Look at your franchise: if the Oilers are a "flash in the pan" what the hell does that make the Canucks?

The Oilers may have been garbage from 2007-present but it will always be a historically relevant franchise whether you like it or not.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:40 AM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Apple the company has been using the same logo, albeit with different colors and textures for the entire run of their existence, along with many other companies.
Except those companies tend to have classic timeless logos or they don't make millions selling their logo on merchandise.

Plenty of other companies have altered their logo when it becomes dated. Starbucks, who have a logo that is far more iconic than the Oilers could ever hope to be, have altered their logo in recent times.

Quote:
As much as you like to sneer at the oilers logo, you have to understand that it's a big part of the team's identity. It's associated with one of the best pro teams to have ever existed in any sport. That is exactly what makes it classic and iconic.
Maybe in Edmonton but everywhere else in the world looks at the lame logo and thinks that Edmonton must be a place that is still living in the 70's.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:21 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Don't condescend to me, I was born in the late '80s and I'm not arguing that the Oilers franchise of the last 20 years is anything but unimpressive but people STILL talk about those years, and calling them a "flash in the pan" franchise is so stupid. Who the hell are you? Look at your franchise: if the Oilers are a "flash in the pan" what the hell does that make the Canucks?

The Oilers may have been garbage from 2007-present but it will always be a historically relevant franchise whether you like it or not.
This is not about the Canucks and this is not about the Oilers being relevant. The discussion is simply about the Oilers JERSEY being iconic. For some reason the defence is "but the Canucks......". That isn't the discussion. If I change my avatar to the Habs would it make a difference to what I am saying?

Old
11-19-2012, 01:24 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Apple the company has been using the same logo, albeit with different colors and textures for the entire run of their existence, along with many other companies . As much as you like to sneer at the oilers logo, you have to understand that it's a big part of the team's identity. It's associated with one of the best pro teams to have ever existed in any sport. That is exactly what makes it classic and iconic.
Classic and iconic to whom?

Rather than use Apple as an example, try Atari.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:10 AM
Slicknitty
The Crappening

Quote:

1.Except those companies tend to have classic timeless logos or they don't make millions selling their logo on merchandise.

2. Plenty of other companies have altered their logo when it becomes dated. Starbucks, who have a logo that is far more iconic than the Oilers could ever hope to be, have altered their logo in recent times.

3. Maybe in Edmonton but everywhere else in the world looks at the lame logo and thinks that Edmonton must be a place that is still living in the 70's.
1. Again, thats all subjective. Believe it or not, not everyone thinks those logos are classic and timeless, some have the same low opinion of them as you do for the oilers logo...for many reasons such as jealousy, ego, fear, hate, anger, and other emotions that cloud judgement. The point is that these are all based on emotion and not in logic or reason which is what you're trying to pass it off as, except your argument is not very convincing. It's an appeal to the emotions of other like minded individuals like yourself who have a dislike for our team. Your prejudice and bias is apparent.

How about you keep things in perspective and use merchandising in the context of NHL teams or sports teams as opposed to comparing it to the richest company in the world? Im comparing company identities and their logos, not revenue. And the oilers sell their brand just fine, and I'm sure they're doing great business these days selling their new generation of talent.

2. I can throw that back at you with companies like Apple, FedEx, IBM, Nike, McDonald's, KFC, 3m, Ford etc who have been using pretty much the same logo for decades. Who said that the Starbucks logo change was widely accepted? When it was first revealed they were changing it, a lot of people were scratching their heads asking "why? There's nothing wrong with it." As for your comment comparing its status of an icon to the oilers' logo as an icon....ummmm, sure...thanks for your opinion, I didn't realize there were levels of "iconiness" to be adhered to be recognized as an icon.

3.Really? You've talked to everyone else in the world and that's what they think? Or is that just what you think?

Last edited by slocal: 11-19-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 05:21 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
We need to move on from the 80's. The Oil have spent as much time in the NHL being a doormat as they have been a dominant team. While that's certainly not a big deal, this idea that the Oilers and the jersey are somehow iconic is hilarious. In Edmonton I have no doubt it is, but that can't be what we are talking about.

But we can nitpick stats all day long to avoid the actual topic, that seems to be the theme.
Why? Typically it is because your team has no success at all worth noting so you try to cling to some superficial regular season success this year and make it more important than 5 Stanley Cups because it happened this year. Not even close to reality.

Are you trying to suggest that anything not happening this very day is worthless? There is a reason people in the hockey world continually talk about the 80s Oilers. There is a reason we hang Stanley Cup banners are retire jersey numbers. That level of success is ALWAYS relevant and ALWAYS important. It is why we play the games.

50 years from now, people who aren't even born yet will debate the 70s Canadiens, 80s Islanders and 80s Oilers as to which is the greatest hockey franchise of all time. Nobody will care who made the playoffs in 2012 or who finished 4th in the West rather than 5th. Quick - how did the Canucks do in 1997? You have to Google it because nobody remembers and nobody cares - they didn't win the Cup.

The only team success that matters in the NHL is Stanley Cups. Win one in 1934 or 2012, it is still the pinnacle of NHL success and will be talked about forever. Win 5 cups in 7 years and that will be talked about as possibly the greatest team in the history of the sport.

Nobody needs to move on from the 80s or any other Cup winning years. The only team right now that has bragging rights is the LA Kings. The other 29 teams are all equally losers because they don't possess the only team prize worth possessing. Winning Cups is all that matters and it should always be celebrated.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:34 AM
RussianRocket10

I stopped reading after the title said ESPN.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:44 AM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

I don't know.

Four logos in the top six are just letters.

Who's the marketing genius who came up with that one?

I do like all of those, but then again, I like many in the bottom 25 as well.

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:01 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Why? Typically it is because your team has no success at all worth noting so you try to cling to some superficial regular season success this year and make it more important than 5 Stanley Cups because it happened this year. Not even close to reality.

Are you trying to suggest that anything not happening this very day is worthless? There is a reason people in the hockey world continually talk about the 80s Oilers. There is a reason we hang Stanley Cup banners are retire jersey numbers. That level of success is ALWAYS relevant and ALWAYS important. It is why we play the games.

50 years from now, people who aren't even born yet will debate the 70s Canadiens, 80s Islanders and 80s Oilers as to which is the greatest hockey franchise of all time. Nobody will care who made the playoffs in 2012 or who finished 4th in the West rather than 5th. Quick - how did the Canucks do in 1997? You have to Google it because nobody remembers and nobody cares - they didn't win the Cup.

The only team success that matters in the NHL is Stanley Cups. Win one in 1934 or 2012, it is still the pinnacle of NHL success and will be talked about forever. Win 5 cups in 7 years and that will be talked about as possibly the greatest team in the history of the sport.

Nobody needs to move on from the 80s or any other Cup winning years. The only team right now that has bragging rights is the LA Kings. The other 29 teams are all equally losers because they don't possess the only team prize worth possessing. Winning Cups is all that matters and it should always be celebrated.
All this to try and explain why the Oiler logo is iconic? As I said earlier, you shouldn't need to try this hard to tell people how important it is. The Oil logo is as iconic as the Isles logo. Nobody is debating how good the team was in the 80s.

You should heed your earlier post. Or just keep spouting off random nonsense, the choice is yours.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Gunnin54

My team the sharks ended up in the middle and im fine with that. I think we have good looking jerseys

Gunnin54 is offline   Reply With Quote