HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Waning fan passion - a growing concern

Old
11-17-2012, 06:36 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
circa 1992 many very good players making around $500,000 per year.
Circa 2012 around $500, 000 is now the base salary. Joe Benchwarmer and Billy Backup are now pulling in what the first/second liners, top d man and better goalies were making.

Spot the problem.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Circa 2012 around $500, 000 is now the base salary. Joe Benchwarmer and Billy Backup are now pulling in what the first/second liners, top d man and better goalies were making.

Spot the problem.
Gary Bettman?

Wait, the owners

The fans?

hmm can't think of anyone else to blame

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:04 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:

Spot the problem.
Wow. And my grandpa bought a new car for 1000.00 back in the 40s...

Jeez, these crooked car dealerships.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:07 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I won't buy tickets or even pay for games on T.V, rather I'll watch it streamed online for free.

They don't care about the fans, so I won't care about them.

But I'll be back watching hockey.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
My passion for the sport has slowly declined these past yrs even before this lockout. The game has gotten boring in their attempt to achieve perceived parity.
Well that sucks for you... must be something wrong considering we have the most skilled players yet playing in the league.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:42 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Wow. And my grandpa bought a new car for 1000.00 back in the 40s...

Jeez, these crooked car dealerships.
Let me clarify.

I highly doubt many other fields of employment have multiplied their salaries in 2 decades like hockey has. I'm guessing computer/gadget, gaming and sports are the big ones.

At some point things have to stop escalating.

Old
11-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Football fills the void for some. That changes in February though.
Don't worry, there will probably be some sort of violence replacement by then... wars often are started between Jan. & March.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post

I liked the old division and conference names. Those names were given with high regard. He dumbed it down for non-traditional fans. Same with the conferences. He allowed ateam to be called The Mighty Ducks.....come on, show some respect. This isn't a Disney cartoon.
I'd just like to point out, for future reference, that the NHL was talking about realignment- and changing the division names to suit geography vs. history- as far back as '91.
A report was leaked on Jan. 26, 1993 (5 days before Bettman was instated as Commissioner) extensively detailed the new divisions (not yet inn their current form), compete with geographic names. You can find that here: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/...or%2Brevisions

Blaming Bettman for "disregarding history" and using the changing of the division names as proof has no basis in reality. The BoG had already decided on the realignment before he was hired.

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 11-18-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:51 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:

Spot the problem.
Oh wait, but since 1992 we also have about half a dozen teams that lose money every single year. That has to be a problem too, especially with bigger salaries

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:36 PM
1ntrovert*

it takes two to tango. They have done enuff damage it is almost as if we just expect a lockout and don't really care anymore. I would be worried if I were them.

1ntrovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Tim Panaccio, CSNPhilly -
Quote:
NHL Notebook: Time for league to make a deal

Meanwhile, all the good achieved over the past seven years in creating a record $3.3 billion business has gone to hell.

Mark this down: When hockey returns, it will do so with less longtime, loyal sponsors who have stood by and watched two lockouts in seven years and understand there is something fundamentally wrong with this business model.

What kind of sports league forces a shutdown to achieve “economic certainty,” with a CBA, and then after record revenues seven years later feels it needs massive changes to assure better economic certainty and sets out to destroy everything it had achieved?

The danger now is that in their desire to annihilate the NHLPA under marching orders from Jeremy Jacobs, Bettman has strengthened the players’ resolve to see this through even if means losing another season.

The players are not going to cave on every contractual right earned in the last surrender of 2004-05. What Bettman needs to understand here is that the strategy of divide and conquer has failed against Fehr. The players aren’t going to abandon him.

It’s time for the NHL to make a deal. End this foolishness before we lose another season, more fans, more money and more sponsors.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Haha ur goonna hate me cuz I'm a seahawks fan. Yea, even if my team sucks, I love the NFL in general. It's such a superior league in every way, shape, and form.
They know they cannot take fans for granted. That's why they resolved their lockout in time before the season started. Heck they resolved their ref lockout after fan outrage of the gb/seattle debacle!
that example really speaks to the difference between the NFL and NHL. the NFL saw they had made a mistake and were hurting the integrity of the game; so what do they do? they swollow their pride and admit they were wrong and give the refs their due. if that had been Bettman and the NHL there is no way they would have given in. they would have gone with replacements all year (or more) and the league's integrity be damned!! Bettman would have to win the battle.

the NHL, as professional sports entity hasn't a shred of integrity. it is, quite simple, a joke, a laughingstock, an embarressment.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Everytime I start to become apathetic about the situation a player says something so mind numbingly stupid that i go back to hating mostly the players

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:27 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Everytime I start to become apathetic about the situation a player says something so mind numbingly stupid that i go back to hating mostly the players
I don't expect the players to have much of an insight into all the nuances involved. I think most of them accept what they're told.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Tekneek

I'm against the owners in all of this. Nobody told them to offer these crazy deals. They decided to do it, all on their own. I cannot blame the players for it.

As far as waning enthusiasm, it is the first time I have visited the boards since during the summer. I've already punted on the NHL until next summer, regardless of whether they come up with some half season nonsense or not. I came back very easily after the first two lockouts during the Bettman era. I'm not interested in coming back so easily in the future. I'm taking this time to remind myself that the NHL isn't as important as I've let myself believe.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Smokey McCanucks

You won't find a much bigger hockey fan than me. But I've found I'm not missing the NHL as much as I was last time round. I've been to a lot of WHL games and Subway Super Series and it's very enjoyable. I'm watching more football. And I'm spending more time with people doing activities and stuff not related to hockey (okay, mostly going out drinking).

Personally I am more than willing to wait through two cancelled seasons if it means Bettman is out as commissioner. It would be for the good of the sport. If that's what it takes, I'm on board. I'm not normally much of a union guy - you won't find me voting NDP - but in this case I will gladly sing the Internationale and stand in solidarity with the NHLPA. Bettman needs to go, no matter the cost.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Wolf357

I like what the KC Chiefs fans did with the "Blackout" and getting up and leaving in the 4th quarter.

It would be much harder to organize but a "Blackout the NHL" with everone wearing black and leaving in the 3rd period would be a great way of telling off the NHL

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:04 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Mod note: this thread is to discuss the passion of the fans, not anything else. This is not a mega thread.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:17 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
I would do the same thing but they would just call one of the 8000 people on the waiting list! Fans WILL be back as strong as ever.
Maybe in large markets where hockey is the mainstream, but teams that are not in mainstream hockey markets could see a dip in their fan base. Especially teams like LA, who would have had some bandwagon fans carry over to this season, but who are now back to watching the Lakers and have completely forgot that the Kings just won a championship.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Oshie97

Bettman made the comment that the NHL will make it right with the sponsors and fans when its all done. I wonder what he thinks would make it right? Can't think of a single thomg the NHL would be willing to do that would get me to come running back and buy tickets right away. I'm not saying ill stay away from the game, ill support non nhl teams and watch the games on tv for awhile. Just tired of all these idiots, NHL and PA both.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Chippewa

Quote:
Bettman made the comment that the NHL will make it right with the sponsors and fans when its all done. I wonder what he thinks would make it right? Can't think of a single thomg the NHL would be willing to do that would get me to come running back and buy tickets right away. I'm not saying ill stay away from the game, ill support non nhl teams and watch the games on tv for awhile. Just tired of all these idiots, NHL and PA both.
It's the same attitude that got us here. The league and players still think they can take us for granted. I really, really hope that attendance, sponsorship, and revenues take a big hit when play is resumed. The internal structure of the NHL BOG needs to change, and Fehr and the people like Lindros in the union need to GTFO.

Personally, I've found other things to do with my time. Too disgusted with the backstabbing league and ******** players. Really into the NFL this year, as well as local ACHA hockey.

They are not irreplaceable. It's time they realized that, and shaped up their act.

Chippewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
i visited an old buddy on Saturday. He said he has 'lost interest in the NHL'. I talked to my dad today. He says he has 'lost interest in the NHL'. I keep hearing the same thing over and over again. apathy. lifelong fans looking elsewhere and finding it.

the real mystery is: how is it possible that the League and PA can be oblivious to this sentiment?

how can they not see that this lockout in not 04 all over again. this one is a game changer. it could very well be a league ender.

Shannon said tonight the if it is not settle by Thursday, the season is done and it could very well be done for 2 seasons.

is the very existence of the NHL to be decided on this week? I don't think so. they still have a month to save the league. but, it is now the league, and not merely the season, that is at stake.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 11-20-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:16 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Bettman made the comment that the NHL will make it right with the sponsors and fans when its all done. I wonder what he thinks would make it right?
Only way I watch a single game from a lockout shortened season is if they give Gamecenter Live away for free. I wish fans would turn their back on the league for this. A big reason MLB has not had a stoppage since 1994 is because of how the fans responded to that final work stoppage. If NHL fans continue running back, as they have in the past, then we'll see all of this again.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Bingo.

Most of the people I talk to fall into one of two camps. The first is anti-Bettman (not anti-owner, not anti-NHL, but anti-Bettman). The second is anti-player, with a little bit of anti-Fehr and anti-union-in-general.

With the absolutely mind-blowing stupidity of several player comments so far, it makes it pretty clear why the NHL's gag order on team officials speaking makes perfect sense.

Quote:
I don't expect the players to have much of an insight into all the nuances involved. I think most of them accept what they're told.
That's part of the problem too. There's the old phrase about it being better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt...what these guys apparently don't realize is that what they say inherently carries weight because of their position. The average person under any circumstances has little tolerance for the so-called "first world problems", and when that's magnified by a global economic downturn in the last four years, it's basically dumping gasoline on a fire.

When the average fan feels insulted by completely asinine and uneducated statements being made by players, bad things happen. We all remember the backlash from Trevor Linden's "get better jobs" or Mike Modano's "feeding my dogs" comments...

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
When the average fan feels insulted by completely asinine and uneducated statements being made by players, bad things happen. We all remember the backlash from Trevor Linden's "get better jobs" or Mike Modano's "feeding my dogs" comments...
In the many conversations I have had with friends in regards to the lockout, never once has any player comment been a topic of discussion.

IMO, super fans, average fans, or casual fans don't feel insulted about comments made by either side, most realize it is just posturing and noise.

Player comments aren't the reason hundreds of millions of dollars have already been lost or the apparent sponsorship damage or for a yet to be tallied number of disappearing fans.

Claiming bad things will happen because of these comments is just adding more emotional rhetoric to a topic overloaded with it.

IMO every fan has a choice, to stop following the NHL or sit back and relax until a new CBA is signed, it really is that black and white.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote