HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Cam Ward or Carey Price

View Poll Results: Well
Ward 42 22.95%
Price 141 77.05%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Price is easily a top 10 goalie. I wouldn't have Ward in my top 10. IMO he's one of the most overrated goalies there is.
Quoting the proof that Ward is actually... underrated.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:15 AM
OzzyFan

Quote:
Funny how Ward lost his starters job in the playoffs that he "dominated" and how his SVP was very similar to a goalie who's dubbed a playoff choke. The standards are ridiculously inconsistent around here.

Aside from one great playoffs, Cam Ward has not looked good. A 0.910SVP is not anything to write home about. It certainly doesn't scream "top 10 goalie" to me. He also hasn't looked good at all in international competition and was clearly Canada's weakness in this past WHC.

I also don't know where you get that Price is Canada's chosen Olympic goalie for years to come. Chosen by whom?

Name the 10 goalies you'd take over Cam Ward right now, say Tim Thomas is retired. I'm curious.

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:17 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyFan View Post
Name the 10 goalies you'd take over Cam Ward right now, say Tim Thomas is retired. I'm curious.
Henrik Lundqvist
Jonathan Quick
Roberto Luongo
Pekka Rinne
Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak
Tuukka Rask
Cory Schneider
Kari Lehtonen
Jimmy Howard
Mikka Kiprusoff
Niklas Backstrom
Ryan Miller
and possibly Jonas Hiller if he gets back to his pre-vertigo form.

11-17-2012, 05:43 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Whos better? Ward for me because of his playoff stats
I don't think this is all that close. Ward shows up once every few years while Price is one of the top 5 goaltenders in the league.

I don't like Montreal by the way, I wish Ward was the better goaltender but I have to give credit where it is due.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:16 AM
OzzyFan

Quote:
Henrik Lundqvist
Jonathan Quick
Roberto Luongo
Pekka Rinne
Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak
Tuukka Rask
Cory Schneider
Kari Lehtonen
Jimmy Howard
Mikka Kiprusoff
Niklas Backstrom
Ryan Miller
and possibly Jonas Hiller if he gets back to his pre-vertigo form.
There is a valid argument that Cam Ward is better than most of that list, and is a top 5 goalie in the nhl. But everyone is entiled to their opinion and some goalies are weird, so no issues here, debating goalies is no pure science since there are arguments to be had from multiple logical perceptions. Just wondered who you thought was better, but just want to point out 1/4 of your list is mostly unproven goalies who may become elites or who may fade out into nothings or may have up and down careers, where as Ward has continually grown, is a workhorse starter on one of the worst teams and so-so at best defenses in the nhl the past few years, and still has put up above average numbers and has been a tremendous playoff performer(so far). Goalies are weird though, so I give people the benefit of the doubt in these arguments.

Old
11-17-2012, 02:30 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
There is a valid argument that Cam Ward is better than most of that list, and is a top 5 goalie in the nhl. But everyone is entiled to their opinion and some goalies are weird, so no issues here, debating goalies is no pure science since there are arguments to be had from multiple logical perceptions. Just wondered who you thought was better, but just want to point out 1/4 of your list is mostly unproven goalies who may become elites or who may fade out into nothings or may have up and down careers, where as Ward has continually grown, is a workhorse starter on one of the worst teams and so-so at best defenses in the nhl the past few years, and still has put up above average numbers and has been a tremendous playoff performer(so far). Goalies are weird though, so I give people the benefit of the doubt in these arguments.
I have yet to read a valid argument as to why Ward is a top 5 goalie in the NHL. His stats certainly don't reflect that. All people do to deflect attention away from that is mention his poor team, yet players like Lundqvist and Luongo have put up huge numbers behind bad defenses too (not talking about this past year, but over their careers).

IMO Cam Ward is still living off of one hot playoff streak, but when you look at his overall numbers they weren't that impressive when compared to what other goalies have done. And he even lost his starters job (that he took) during that playoff run. Granted he got it back when Gerber blew up, but we shouldn't act as if Ward was like Patrick Roy.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:33 PM
the

Cam Ward,very underrated goalie!

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:42 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Price is easily a top 10 goalie. I wouldn't have Ward in my top 10. IMO he's one of the most overrated goalies there is.
I don't think we all remember that from the last 20 times you've blown up a Ward thread talking about it.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:56 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Price, but Ward is pretty underrated and would be a fine goalie to have.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:37 AM
zeus3007*

Ward. If Price played for a team not located in Montreal, nobody would consider him top 5, because he quite frankly is not a top 5, barely a top 10 goalie. He's good, but the sweater he wears makes people think he's better than he actually is. Cam Ward is forgotten often because he plays in Carolina, but he has been that team's MVP since he won them the Cup, and has been basically the only reason they win games at all.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:40 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I have yet to read a valid argument as to why Ward is a top 5 goalie in the NHL. His stats certainly don't reflect that. All people do to deflect attention away from that is mention his poor team, yet players like Lundqvist and Luongo have put up huge numbers behind bad defenses too (not talking about this past year, but over their careers).

And only one of these goalies has carried their team to the Stanley Cup.

IMO Cam Ward is still living off of one hot playoff streak, but when you look at his overall numbers they weren't that impressive when compared to what other goalies have done. And he even lost his starters job (that he took) during that playoff run. Granted he got it back when Gerber blew up, but we shouldn't act as if Ward was like Patrick Roy.
Still no reason why he's overrated other than stats? As someone who frequents a hockey board, you shouldn't have to be told that goalie stats mean very little, its all about how those stats relate to the play of the team. You obviously don't recognize that.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:26 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Still no reason why he's overrated other than stats? As someone who frequents a hockey board, you shouldn't have to be told that goalie stats mean very little, its all about how those stats relate to the play of the team. You obviously don't recognize that.

Ty for directing this poll in Prices favor even more.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:52 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Henrik Lundqvist Yes
Jonathan Quick Yes
Roberto Luongo No
Pekka Rinne Yes
Carey Price Yes
Jaroslav Halak No
Tuukka Rask No
Cory Schneider LOL
Kari Lehtonen Debatable
Jimmy Howard No
Mikka Kiprusoff Yes
Niklas Backstrom Debatable
Ryan Miller Yes
and possibly Jonas Hiller (Nah) if he gets back to his pre-vertigo form.
So 6 goalies are better, still a top 10 goalie in the league.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Close but Price

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:17 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Funny how Ward lost his starters job in the playoffs that he "dominated" and how his SVP was very similar to a goalie who's dubbed a playoff choke. The standards are ridiculously inconsistent around here.

Aside from one great playoffs, Cam Ward has not looked good. A 0.910SVP is not anything to write home about. It certainly doesn't scream "top 10 goalie" to me. He also hasn't looked good at all in international competition and was clearly Canada's weakness in this past WHC.

I also don't know where you get that Price is Canada's chosen Olympic goalie for years to come. Chosen by whom?
.910svp is career stats though. Past few seasons of .915, .923, .916, and .915 while being close to if not the leader in shots against per game is pretty impressive.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:21 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

I really don't get how people don't see Ward as elite. It wasn't too long ago that he put up .923 svp while 74 freaking games while playing for a very very average team. Its almost identical stats to Pekka Rinne's last season and he's considered elite by everyone.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Ward. If Price played for a team not located in Montreal, nobody would consider him top 5, because he quite frankly is not a top 5, barely a top 10 goalie. He's good, but the sweater he wears makes people think he's better than he actually is. Cam Ward is forgotten often because he plays in Carolina, but he has been that team's MVP since he won them the Cup, and has been basically the only reason they win games at all.
Are you saying it's any different for Price? (besides the Cup/Conn Smythe of course)

There's hardly a single person who has watched the Habs play over the past two seasons that would disagree that Carey Price has been Montreal's MVP for the past two seasons, he's also the only reason they win any games at all, and placing 7th in the Hart voting in 2010-2011 is a perfect reflection of that.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaForsberg View Post
So 6 goalies are better, still a top 10 goalie in the league.
While I agree Ward is a top-10 goalie, having Luongo as a clear cut "no", Kiprusoff a "yes" and Lehtonen/Backstrom as "debateable" is absurd.

Luongo is easily better than either of those goalies, and imo is better than Ward too. My own top 10 goes something like:

Lundqvist
Quick
Rinne
Luongo/Price
Price/Luongo
Miller
Ward
Kiprusoff
Lehtonen
Halak

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:29 PM
tututooter21

Before you say anything I had both of these goalies on my fantasy team last year so i kept a close eye on both

very similar situations, both play a lot more games than other goalies, both get peppered (Ward more though) and both put up above average Save Percentages
Last year it was a tie I'd say
2010-11 was Price for sure
Other years it was Ward

tututooter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:36 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
While I agree Ward is a top-10 goalie, having Luongo as a clear cut "no", Kiprusoff a "yes" and Lehtonen/Backstrom as "debateable" is absurd.

Luongo is easily better than either of those goalies, and imo is better than Ward too. My own top 10 goes something like:

Lundqvist
Quick
Rinne
Luongo/Price
Price/Luongo
Miller
Ward
Kiprusoff
Lehtonen
Halak
I think everybody agrees that Lu is better than Price and Ward right now. You don't have to put him equal to Price.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:52 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
How people are saying Ward is not an elite (top 5) is beyond me. Look at this guys last 5 or so seasons he has been amazing.

1. Quick
2. Lundqvist
3a. Rinne
3b. Price
5. Ward
6. Luongo
7. Miller
8. Halak
9. Kiprusoff
10. Rask

Note: Thomas obviously not included. And many will disagree with this I just made this off the top of my head and so I may have forgotten some goalies.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
.910svp is career stats though. Past few seasons of .915, .923, .916, and .915 while being close to if not the leader in shots against per game is pretty impressive.
So aside from one year his SVP has been around league average. Screams average goalie to me.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
OzzyFan

Quote:
So aside from one year his SVP has been around league average. Screams average goalie to me.
Not when it's he's starting ~70 times/year when healthy and playing behind one of the annually sub-par teams that have given up the most (11/12) and most(10/11) shots allowed in the nhl over the past 2yrs, while still putting up average to above average save percentage numbers. That shouts top 10 goalie to me, and arguably Cam Ward should have been a top 2/3 vezina finalist in 10/11 given the circumstances.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Not when it's he's starting ~70 times/year when healthy and playing behind one of the annually sub-par teams that have given up the most (11/12) and most(10/11) shots allowed in the nhl over the past 2yrs, while still putting up average to above average save percentage numbers. That shouts top 10 goalie to me, and arguably Cam Ward should have been a top 2/3 vezina finalist in 10/11 given the circumstances.
And this is why Ward is overrated.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

If we aren't comparing careers, I'll go with Price. If we are comparing careers, I'll go with the Stanley Cup winner.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote