HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Both teams are hot right now but I'll stay with Toronto. The sports... gods.... or whatever you want to call them are squarely on Toronto's side at the moment.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:45 PM
timekeep

should be a great party in TO with the Argos in and no hockey for the 100 Grey Cup.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
should be a great party in TO with the Argos in and no hockey for the 100 Grey Cup.
Too bad they're all on the Jays bandwagon currently.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Too bad they're all on the Jays bandwagon currently.
Hey, Raptors actually won today so they'll be relevant for a couple of days.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:53 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hey, Raptors actually won today so they'll be relevant for a couple of days.
It's funny how a hapless Raptors squad is still more relevant than a winning Argos team.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
It's funny how a hapless Raptors squad is still more relevant than a winning Argos team.
With the lockout going on I think that the Marlies are more relevant in Toronto than the Argos.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:03 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Leo Berezan came to the game decked out in orange shades and a Geroy Simon jersey.

“We’ve got about 24 of us in a hotel room,” said Berezan, who came from Langley for the game. “We’re going to the Grey Cup next week.”

“I bought season tickets in Toronto just so I could get a seat for the Grey Cup.”
Damn, buy season tickets to get grey cup tickets? They aren't that hard to come by.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:04 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
With the lockout going on I think that the Marlies are more relevant in Toronto than the Argos.
That's very likely.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:31 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
So... Stamps or Argos?
I'm pulling for the Argos. I'd never cheer for the Stamps, and I still like Ricky. I hope he wins another Grey Cup.

I also think they've got a pretty good shot too. Argos won both their games against the Stamps this season and Ray has been fantastic down the stretch.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I'm pulling for the Argos. I'd never cheer for the Stamps, and I still like Ricky. I hope he wins another Grey Cup.

I also think they've got a pretty good shot too. Argos won both their games against the Stamps this season and Ray has been fantastic down the stretch.
Both those games took place when the Stamps were playing awful.

But yeah, this makes me sick. I would think the Lions match up better against the Argos but I think the Stamps are a better club than the Argos as well.

People discount that the Argonauts would probably lose to either of the Western Finalists. Just wondering didn't see the whole game or any explanation. Is Bighill injured?

Anyway Calgary wanted it more.

It promises to be a good Grey Cup.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Stoneman89

Should be a great GC. Lots of juicy storylines. For Calgary, it is finally a chance for Kevin Glenn to get redemption on that terrible twist of injury fate that robbed him of his chance to participate in the 2007 championship game. It will be yet another opportunity for John Cornish to try to keep his pants on for a second straight game. For the Argos, a chance to make history. Win the 100th Cup on home turf, and RR proving he isn't quite done yet. For Eric Tillman and Kavis Reed, yet another chance to look in the mirror and see a jackass.

Personally I'm pulling for Calgary because of Kevin Glenn.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's pretty humorous to see two quarterbacks who were considered "washed up" contending for the Grey Cup. O'Billovich and Tillman are idiots.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Expatriate

ABC
Can't stand the thoughts of that DB, Nik Lewis anywhere near the Grey Cup

Old
11-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Kyle McMahon

This might be the first time ever that I have zero interest in even watching the Grey Cup. Makes me absolutely sick that these two teams are in the game. And for the 2nd year in a row, the GC champion might only have even made the game due to horrible Eskimo coaching and performance.

So we'll get to hear all week about how the amazing Argos turned the franchise around with Ray, home team, football is rejuvinated in Toronto ect. Then 15 000 will be in attendance at their season opener next year. It's an absolute disgrace that Toronto was awarded the historic 100th GC, and all the more infuriating that their mediocre football team will be in the game after catching lightning in a bottle for 2 weeks.

And then your alternative choice is a team with Nik Lewis and Jon Cornish, probably the two biggest *******s in the entire league. I cannot believe the Lions lost to these clowns. What a lousy coaching job by Benevides today. The Lions threw 2 yard passes on 2nd and long on at least four occassions today, and were way too conservative in electing to kick field goals twice in Calgary territory in the 4th quarter.

There were probably 1.5 good teams in the CFL this year, and neither make the Grey Cup. A fittingly awful end to a nightmare of a season. I'm sure Reed will be announced as coach/GM shortly just to somehow make this scenario even worse.

Last edited by Oilbleeder: 11-18-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old
11-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

TSN's Dave Naylor and I are having a conversation on Twitter right now. I'm arguing that it's impossible to set a team back 5 to 10 years in an eight team league and he's saying that it all depends on how long it takes the Esks to find a new "franchise" QB.

Quote:
There R 2 types of teams in football. Those with franchise QB's and those without. Esks R without. #cfl
Quote:
How long they've been set back depends on how long it takes to find the next REAL guy. That can easily be 5 or more years. #cfl
Now, I hated the Ray trade and I still hate it but it's not like the Eskimos offense was lighting the world on fire with him. I also reminded him that (arguably) the most dominant QB in the CFL this season (statistically) missed the playoffs. Bottomline, the Eskimos just need somebody who's better than Jyles and Joseph and hopefully that player is Nichols. It shouldn't be difficult to improve on what we had this year.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 11-18-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old
11-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Kyle McMahon

I'm more concerned about finding an intelligent coach than a QB. A good coach can get victories out of a pedestrian QB. Even a great QB rarely wins with an idiot coach though.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Tyrolean

Best of possible outcomes except for the Esks in the GC. Hated seeing BC repeat and Montreal is in there too often.

Guess I'll cheer for Ray but not the Argos in general. Have a soft spot for Glenn too but only him.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Can we please get a head coach who knows what the hell he's doing this time around? And a GM who won't use this job as a spring board to the next?

11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Boy, it must not take much to become an "insider" or a "sports analyst" in this country. Naylor is going on and on about how a franchise QB is a necessity and that the position is paramount but then he responds with this gem regarding my assessment of Henry Burris.

Quote:
"He" did not miss the playoffs. The Tiger-cats did. QB's are not golfers or tennis players. #cfl
Hank had a career worst season with virtually the same Stampeders team last season. A "franchise" QB with elite skills would be nice to have but it's more important to have consistency. The Ti-Cats' defense is horrendous, no question but if you put him on the Eskimos and he had the safety net of a better defense he'd probably struggle.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I respect RR much more after seeing this article, mainly the picture, as he was getting hugged by that preacher.

Quite surprised how unprofessional Reed is by releasing the behind closed doors meeting conversations while he is still with organization. Reed is in major sales mode to keep his job. His selfishness is starting show, as it is always about him. I made these bad decisions I wouldn't change a thing, I didn't agree with this decision now that this guy is gone.

He is not a good HC and I can't imagine he will be a good GM. He is very similar to Danny M by playing his favorites that under achieve.

Get rid of this clown, his ignorance about the RR trade setting the franchise 5-10 years is so off. And then he says it looks like Matt Nicholls might be the next one. How would he know, he never gave the guy a chance to play in real minutes, mop up time is nothing time. He should have started him and developed him. The only reason it will take a QB that long to develop is because wants a job for that long.
Excellant post. Pathetic loser.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Boy, it must not take much to become an "insider" or a "sports analyst" in this country. Naylor is going on and on about how a franchise QB is a necessity and that the position is paramount but then he responds with this gem regarding my assessment of Henry Burris.

Hank had a career worst season with virtually the same Stampeders team last season. A "franchise" QB with elite skills would be nice to have but it's more important to have consistency. The Ti-Cats' defense is horrendous, no question but if you put him on the Eskimos and he had the safety net of a better defense he'd probably struggle.
Well Burris would have been in mvp talk this year if the cats did not blow so bad on defense. As for your consitency comment. Ray was the very definition of that.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Eskimos had a disappointing year, yes, but they finished 7-12 and made the playoffs while relying on Jyles and Joseph for the brunt of the season. To insinuate that the Eskimos might be on the verge of wandering in the wilderness for 5+ years because they don't have a "franchise quarterback"... it's ridiculous. The team's management and coaches made questionable decisions all year but they have some solid pieces moving forward. If Nichols can show that he's an improvement on the inept duo that we had this year then we'll be alright.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Kyle McMahon

Naylor is either a complete idiot, or hasn't followed the league very long. Kerry Joseph has a Grey Cup ring, as does Marcus Crandell. Kevin Glenn has now reached two Grey Cups. Buck Pierce has been to one. Yeah, that's a real list of franchise QBs there....

Meanwhile a guy that some people would probably put in the Hall of Fame, he being Henry Burris, has been to just a single Grey Cup in his career. Ricky Ray will be playing in his first one in 7 years. Anthony Calvillo lost a Grey Cup to Derian Durant (even if he has a ring to show for it).

I normally don't mind hearing what Naylor has to say, but the notion that a franchise QB is a must-have in the CFL is just plain wrong. Of course it helps, but there are plenty of examples of teams being successful without one.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:18 AM
esks123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Naylor is either a complete idiot, or hasn't followed the league very long. Kerry Joseph has a Grey Cup ring, as does Marcus Crandell. Kevin Glenn has now reached two Grey Cups. Buck Pierce has been to one. Yeah, that's a real list of franchise QBs there....

Meanwhile a guy that some people would probably put in the Hall of Fame, he being Henry Burris, has been to just a single Grey Cup in his career. Ricky Ray will be playing in his first one in 7 years. Anthony Calvillo lost a Grey Cup to Derian Durant (even if he has a ring to show for it).

I normally don't mind hearing what Naylor has to say, but the notion that a franchise QB is a must-have in the CFL is just plain wrong. Of course it helps, but there are plenty of examples of teams being successful without one.
Calvillo never lost a gc to Durant. He beat him in both 09 and '10.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:48 AM
eskies4life

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post

No he didn't. Montreal won that grey cup. No one would talk about that penalty if it was in the first quarter as costing the Riders a grey cup. A penalty is a penalty. Doesn't matter when it happens. Montreal won. Saskatchewan Lost. Thats the end of it.

On Naylor he's a insider. He's very good at what he does although some of his arguments are one sided. Im pretty sure Naylor was at a training camp for the Riders one year quite a few years back. He know's a lot about the game.

I think having a franchise quarter-back is very important. Joseph won a grey cup. That's it, that's all. I think Joseph was in the same boat as Tillman was when he won his, he was just there at the right time. If you have a franchise QB you can become a dynasty. Without one sure you might win a grey cup or two but you won't be this team that makes it to the grey cup year after year. (Of course you will still need a supporting cast to make it there)

Closed Thread