HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 11:52 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Murray-Siemens were great tonight, totally shutdown Yakupov and Siemens made some fantastic passes for great scoring chances.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
People we're saying that Murray was quietly the best defenseman out there, I disagree. Siemens was definitely one of, if the not best defenseman. I agree with S E P H, pretty much shut down Yakupov with a few nice plays as well. Let's hope he's still good at shutting down Yakupov once he gets to the NHL.

Last edited by Gigantor The Goalie: 11-15-2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: grammar
Old
11-15-2012, 12:15 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Yeah don't worry about them, theyre also saying Shinkaruk was the best forward and he was one of the most quiet forwards tonight. A lot of Leaf fans who probably watch prospects once a year, but due to the lockout they've been watching A lot and now are "experts".

Old
11-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Amusing reading all the praise Siemens got during the game. Still not a top 60 prospect though, right?

Old
11-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Amusing reading all the praise Siemens got during the game. Still not a top 60 prospect though, right?
Right

Old
11-15-2012, 07:55 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
If Siemens was to make Team Canada for the WJC, a lot of people it seems will be surprised. I don't believe its unthinkable he won't make it. I personally hope he does. He doesn't seem to be flying under the radar, he's currently about 20 feet under the ground. Price of being an Avalanche prospect but it's not like Team Canada executives are on these boards.

Siemens just needs to stay physical and do what he did last time in camp, rock people. Be that nasty Chris Pronger-esque player. He handled Yakupov quite well and Siemens knows how to use his size, or at least did during the game.

Old
11-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Avs71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Siemens looked very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
----

Also on a side note Duncan Siemens has been fantastic so far IMO. Blocking shots, shutting down Yakupov along with Murray, playing good on the PK and just playing a very safe game. If he can do that on most nights for the Avalanche and put up some points, he's going to be a keeper.

If he develops well..I think Colorado wins that trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBone03 View Post
Couple of notes:
Really impressed with Siemens. Solid defensively and blocks big shots. Defensive stalwart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Even with his poor start, there aren't many defensemen who play his role at his level. Shutdown guys with his skating ability are hard to come by
Very nice to read. Wish I could have seen this game.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

The whole WHL team has been brutal, but Colin Smith has looked good. The kid has amazing vision and passing, but he can also play solid D as well. Avs are going to definitely take their time with him because he needs some serious frame and to work on parts of his game here and there. His faceoff is below average and he seems to get lost a few times around the defensive zone.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:39 AM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 140
I was at the WHL vs Russia game today in Victoria. Even though the WHL team looked pretty crappy as a whole, Smith still played pretty decently. The kid has wheels and he was using them tonight. The second goal by the dub was on a beauty assisty by Colin. Overall, even though I'm disappointed with the WHL, I'm happy with Colin Smith

Old
11-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
How good did Bigras look? He is a pretty intriguing prospect to me.
Bigras played well in a loss to London last night, for the first 2 periods that I was watching. He got beat to the inside by Max Domi for the Knights 2nd goal, but it was more of a nice pass than his fault, and he almost recovered to break up the play. Doesn't do anything to wow you, but very solid defensively and always in position. Played in all situations and jumped up on the rush a few times, had some nice vision and passes but his shot isn't anything to write home about. Overall, nice looking D man, I'd compare him to someone like... Paul Martin in terms of style.. actually can't really think of a great comparison

Old
11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
Bigras played well in a loss to London last night, for the first 2 periods that I was watching. He got beat to the inside by Max Domi for the Knights 2nd goal, but it was more of a nice pass than his fault, and he almost recovered to break up the play. Doesn't do anything to wow you, but very solid defensively and always in position. Played in all situations and jumped up on the rush a few times, had some nice vision and passes but his shot isn't anything to write home about. Overall, nice looking D man, I'd compare him to someone like... Paul Martin in terms of style.. actually can't really think of a great comparison
Awesome read, thanks!!!!! Do you think he would be a good 3rd, 4th, or 5th round pick up?

ALSO OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Siemens scored a goal!

Old
11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Awesome read, thanks!!!!! Do you think he would be a good 3rd, 4th, or 5th round pick up?

Please stop lying.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Please stop lying.
Hell hath officially frozen over

Old
11-18-2012, 10:31 PM
chet1926

So I see Colin Smith is still tearing it up this year. I really think he might have a chance to make it as a winger in the pros. Kind of like Sgarbossa. I'm not really sure why Smith was never drafted until last year. Looking at his junior stats he seems to have produced every year. He played on a weaker team his first couple seasons. But his stats would warrant at least a 5th or 6th rd pick his draft year. Oh well maybe our gain, time will tell if he makes it or not but he has had a great start to the year for him.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
So I see Colin Smith is still tearing it up this year. I really think he might have a chance to make it as a winger in the pros. Kind of like Sgarbossa. I'm not really sure why Smith was never drafted until last year. Looking at his junior stats he seems to have produced every year. He played on a weaker team his first couple seasons. But his stats would warrant at least a 5th or 6th rd pick his draft year. Oh well maybe our gain, time will tell if he makes it or not but he has had a great start to the year for him.
He was small. I know you hear that a lot but he was small and was successful from hard work but that can only take you so far. It's not that he isn't talented, he just didnt break out until this past year. Smith will continue to grow and develop and hopefully figure out what he needs to adjust to be successful at the next level. Nothing is guaranteed but he has the drive to improve himself.

Every team passed on Agozzino despite great goal scoring numbers because of his size. He has shown that he has the skill, speed and drive to be very successful at the AHL level and has gone from being a fourth line forward to forming a 1-2 punch at center with Sgarbossa and leading LE in scoring (despite a ton of time with Bordy and grinders on his line to start the season)

Old
11-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Freaky Styley

Quote:

I don't see him being a 3rd rounder.. but wouldn't be a bad late round pick up in something like the 5th as you said because I'm not sure how high his ceiling is, he would be more of a "safe" pick.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Looks like last weeks' Subway Series game had a positive effect on Siemens.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Colin Smith named WHL player of the week for the 2nd time this year. He had 7 points in two games for the week.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:13 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Colin Smith named WHL player of the week for the 2nd time this year. He had 7 points in two games for the week.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...of-the-week-2/

Link to HF article.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:19 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Is it just me or does Siemens play kinda similiar to Willie Mitchell? I keep thinkin Mitchell every single time I see him play

Old
11-19-2012, 03:58 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Is it just me or does Siemens play kinda similiar to Willie Mitchell? I keep thinkin Mitchell every single time I see him play
Not a bad comparison. Similar to the one I've used in the past of Barret Jackman.

That's the kind of player he might become. A guy who is hard to play against, blocks shots, hits, is mean and can make a good pass here and there.

With that being said, Siemens is definitely a better skater than either Jackman or Mitchell are.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:23 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

i hope he can get his "mean" quality back, i know i don't see him near as often as RS but in instances when i've seen him he's a bit too passive for my liking.

i don't want another hannan incident, getting a rugged tough d-man who just becomes solid defensively down the road, we need a d man with an edge but not the stupidity of a shane o brien taking penalties at the wrong time.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:45 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I actually like the Coburn comparison more IMO. Better skater of course and I think Coburn is a bit more physical.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Zandar

Quote:
I actually like the Coburn comparison more IMO. Better skater of course and I think Coburn is a bit more physical.
Would prefer he turn out more like a nastier Coburn than a Jackman. Loved Jackman back in the day but like Hannan, he lost some of his effectiveness after the lockout due to the move away from the dead puck way of things.

Speaking of Coburn, there should be a rule in the new CBA that blocks Philly from trading with any dead puck era expansion teams.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
This has a real "The Season" feel to it.

http://www.whl.ca/article/blades-doc...emieres-friday

RS, I'm guessing you will be featured prominently in this?? If not you should DEMAND to at least be able to narrate it. If they already have a narrator, contact a guy named Jeff Gilooly and he'll take care of the rest.

Closed Thread