HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
windycity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
thanks man

Old
11-02-2012, 02:31 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
Do most leagues have an evaluation session? If so, do some guys "dog it" to get put in a lower level league?
I've seen guys dog it all season. We had a good, sponsored team, good mix of guys, some great players on defense and we get to the playoffs and a guy drops 8 goals on us. I've been playing hockey for 19 years so it's not a scrub division, probably equal to a low A or high B for Southern California and I've never seen anybody score 8 goals in a playoff game. We all want fair and balanced teams but you also have some personalities that are win at all costs. Then you have the dilemma that faces some rink managers-do I move guys around to make things fair but will lose teams and money? And when you've been playing at the same place for a long time I can honestly say I would refuse to play on certain teams because I can't stand some of the guys on other teams.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Robs789

In a league where they pick all the teams, cant be on an organized team with your buddies. This season end up on a team with 2 really good dudes that know each other well.

Always end up on the top line with these 2 and never get a pass from either one of them...

Im generally a playmaker, but as im not getting passes, past 3 games ive sat in front of the net just screening, picking up their garbage.

FUU....

Old
11-16-2012, 01:13 AM
reecardo

Can not stand guys who are obviously B leaguers polluting my D league as subs and not even paying the $10 to freakin play. Classless asshats come down and ruin a true beginner co-ed league, and add insult to injury by not contributing a dime when the rest of us payed to play. Wouldn't be so bad if the jerks would stick to D, but they of course need to score at least two goals a game so they can feel special?

Sorry if this is a repeat. It is impossible to pull a full thread in any way? Usually you can choose print friendly version or something? Not going to page through 21 screens to see if someone has already said this.

Old
11-16-2012, 01:21 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Not necessarily a vent/rant thing, but tonight I was playing D and was hit in my cage by a slapshot so hard I smelled burnt rubber. Worse was it deflected down off my cage into my shoulder which is now super swollen. The one game I wasn't wearing my shoulder pads...Sigh.

Old
11-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
Not necessarily a vent/rant thing, but tonight I was playing D and was hit in my cage by a slapshot so hard I smelled burnt rubber. Worse was it deflected down off my cage into my shoulder which is now super swollen. The one game I wasn't wearing my shoulder pads...Sigh.
If it makes you feel any better...just imagine if you didnt have the cage on

Old
11-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Ozz

The other day I got butt-ended in the chest with a stick at the same time a guy checked me in the jaw (no-contact inline league, so no upper padding). I got a penalty for charging for going after him and shoving him onto his ass, a sore jaw for a day, and about an 8" broken-skin bruise across my chest. It was one of those times where you just can't sit there and take it, ya know?

Old
11-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecardo View Post
Can not stand guys who are obviously B leaguers polluting my D league as subs and not even paying the $10 to freakin play. Classless asshats come down and ruin a true beginner co-ed league, and add insult to injury by not contributing a dime when the rest of us payed to play. Wouldn't be so bad if the jerks would stick to D, but they of course need to score at least two goals a game so they can feel special?

Sorry if this is a repeat. It is impossible to pull a full thread in any way? Usually you can choose print friendly version or something? Not going to page through 21 screens to see if someone has already said this.
WOAH WOAH WOW! Did you say 10... $10! Wow
I dk where you live but you should consider yourself lucky....

It is $20 to play open hockey here... $25 in some areas and locations and times
Only one place but done poorly is like $15. They use to have $10 6am hockey but now thats hard to find or the worst possible times.

A 14 game league in New York is like $400 for the season and that is if you have at least 14 guys on your team.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Wease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
WOAH WOAH WOW! Did you say 10... $10! Wow
I dk where you live but you should consider yourself lucky....

It is $20 to play open hockey here... $25 in some areas and locations and times
Only one place but done poorly is like $15. They use to have $10 6am hockey but now thats hard to find or the worst possible times.

A 14 game league in New York is like $400 for the season and that is if you have at least 14 guys on your team.
His profile said Grand Rapids, MI.

$10 for 1.5 - 2 hours of open hockey is about the norm here in Central Ohio and Michigan. I'd be super upset if I had to pay $20 to play open hockey. League play here usually costs about $220 per person, for a normal team size and leagues play 12 games plus playoffs (up to 3 games, if you make it). So that's roughly $18 per game. If you sub on a team, you don't pay anything, you pay for free.

Old
11-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's usually $10 for open hockey, $15 for good organized pickup, and $18-20 per game for league here.

Old
11-16-2012, 04:24 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon1990 View Post
If it makes you feel any better...just imagine if you didnt have the cage on
I've been playing hockey for quite awhile, and I will never skate without my cage.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:42 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecardo View Post

Man do I ever make a horrible ringer. It's above my level but the main team I'm with is at least a B level team for the past 2 years(the point where simply having a few junior level hockey players won't win you the game) and I've developed/learned enough that I'm not a liability and can contribute a little bit. For this season I finally have the extra money and joined a D/E level team, hoping to work on my offense a little more, but 10 games in and I have only 4 points .

Though this is an offensively starved team, 4 is enough for a 3-way tie for second on the team in points.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Ozz

I'm another guy who can hang on a high-tier team but can't make a team great by himself. I'm too old and slow these days to be a one-man show like when I was a teen, but I've been scoring in the top 2-3 for the past 2 years straight each time as a complementary player. Give me the puck at the right time and I'll put 'em away, but don't make me do it all myself or that won't work too well

Old
11-19-2012, 12:35 AM
TLow97

Dropped our 3rd game in a row, letting by 6+ goals in each game. Just seems like teams are just skating right by us a ton. I'm trying but I feel like I'm not good enough to make a serious contribution. Kinda frustrating...

Old
11-19-2012, 01:41 AM
OilerNut*

Coming up on the left boards into the zone and guy coming up on the far right boards is about 10 feet ahead of me, we go offside. He then yells at me for not passing him the puck there, I would of had to pass it through 3 guys to get it to him, how the hell did he think that was gonna work out?

In hindsight I should of dumped it in around the boards, but even then it would of probably still been offside. Just told him its better to get called for offside than to turn over the puck for a 5 on 2 going the other way.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:31 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Coming up on the left boards into the zone and guy coming up on the far right boards is about 10 feet ahead of me, we go offside. He then yells at me for not passing him the puck there, I would of had to pass it through 3 guys to get it to him, how the hell did he think that was gonna work out?

In hindsight I should of dumped it in around the boards, but even then it would of probably still been offside. Just told him its better to get called for offside than to turn over the puck for a 5 on 2 going the other way.
Sounds a bit like one of the teams that I play on - guys routinely try and make passes within 5 feet of the blueline as we're entering the zone and we usually cough up the puck or get called offsides. Better to skate it in or dump it at that point.

Old
11-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We had a rule to NEVER pass between the center red line and offensive blue line. Sure fire offsides. We also have guys who apparently can't throw on the brakes or cut across...

Old
11-20-2012, 09:40 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
We had a rule to NEVER pass between the center red line and offensive blue line. Sure fire offsides. We also have guys who apparently can't throw on the brakes or cut across...
Cause that takes effort-something most beer leaguers don't like giving. Just show up and play and hope for the best, that's the attitude that kills me and I see it all the time. Guys don't work out, they don't even attempt to eat right, don't invest in new equipment or replace the hockey museum collection they have and never practice. Then when it's game time and my team is the lowest scoring team in the league for 3 straight seasons they can't figure out why. If you don't want to do what it takes to either stay a decent hockey player or improve guys should voluntarily move down divisions until they are at the bottom where you can just show up and play and nobody cares. I can count the number of times I've heard a guy say he's moving down because he can't hang anymore on one hand.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Cause that takes effort-something most beer leaguers don't like giving. Just show up and play and hope for the best, that's the attitude that kills me and I see it all the time. Guys don't work out, they don't even attempt to eat right, don't invest in new equipment or replace the hockey museum collection they have and never practice. Then when it's game time and my team is the lowest scoring team in the league for 3 straight seasons they can't figure out why. If you don't want to do what it takes to either stay a decent hockey player or improve guys should voluntarily move down divisions until they are at the bottom where you can just show up and play and nobody cares. I can count the number of times I've heard a guy say he's moving down because he can't hang anymore on one hand.
This could be its own thread!

Interesting ideas, I wonder how other people feel about what you're saying. A year ago I would agree with this, but now I've lightened up and let most expectations go.

IMO what is super fun about adult rec. is it's each unto their own. We're coming from such different places to form a team. I do take my game, preparation, and most importantly practice fairly seriously. I caught the hockey bug strong, got excited, and thought "everybody" I played with was on board... but yea was at first a little let down while my own game continues to accelerate (slowly).

Some folks eat taco bell right before a game, only play once a week, never dry out their equipment, etc., and I do get a little chuckle yet enjoy playing together still. Keep improving your own game and you never know it could rub off and you'll always find a few that care, like here at the Rink.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:34 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
This could be its own thread!

Interesting ideas, I wonder how other people feel about what you're saying. A year ago I would agree with this, but now I've lightened up and let most expectations go.

IMO what is super fun about adult rec. is it's each unto their own. We're coming from such different places to form a team. I do take my game, preparation, and most importantly practice fairly seriously. I caught the hockey bug strong, got excited, and thought "everybody" I played with was on board... but yea was at first a little let down while my own game continues to accelerate (slowly).

Some folks eat taco bell right before a game, only play once a week, never dry out their equipment, etc., and I do get a little chuckle yet enjoy playing together still. Keep improving your own game and you never know it could rub off and you'll always find a few that care, like here at the Rink.
You have the bug, that's the key. I run across guys all the time where I'm not sure why they even play hockey. It appears to be some sort of thing they have to take part in, they don't really care for it but they show up for most of the games and go through the motions. I've really learned to let up on these types of guys, you're not going to change people's personalty's by yelling at them at beer league games. I'm man enough to change teams or rinks and find guys who have similar drive to what I have and that's where I'm comfortable. As of right now though I'm on a team that needs my help and 90% of the team needs to move down but that would mean moving from Sunday's to weeknights meaning they won't be able to play hockey anymore. And that's one of the reasons why I work hard to continue to get better at hockey at 39 years old-I know one day I won't be able to play hockey anymore but until then I'm going to give it my all to help the team win games so that when my time comes I'll be able to look back and know I didn't half ass it.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
sanityplease

Play with a guy who left his gear in the trunk of an old car all summer...

I sat beside him in the locker room his first game.

I sit accross the room from him now.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
polysaturate

Ya know, I don't mind the ringers too much. As long as they aren't playing like 2-3 levels down. It's the ringers who play dirty that just piss me off. I really have to keep myself in check not to give into their dirty play and retaliate.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
noobman

Quote:
Easy there Gary Roberts!

Ice time isn't cheap and can be hard to find. Since getting a 9-5 job it's been damn-near impossible to hit the ice more than once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polysaturate View Post
Ya know, I don't mind the ringers too much. As long as they aren't playing like 2-3 levels down. It's the ringers who play dirty that just piss me off. I really have to keep myself in check not to give into their dirty play and retaliate.

As one of those defensively-minded centres (mostly due to the fact that I suck offensively) I take great pride in working my butt off to shut down the ringers.

Old
11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Easy there Gary Roberts!

Ice time isn't cheap and can be hard to find. Since getting a 9-5 job it's been damn-near impossible to hit the ice more than once a week.

As one of those defensively-minded centres (mostly due to the fact that I suck offensively) I take great pride in working my butt off to shut down the ringers.
Same here! Most the time I can hang, but some guys can just blow me away. I've heard some of them tell their teammates to cover me to get me away from them. That's always a nice one. The best part is while your main goal is to shut them down, most the time they don't care much about you and you end up walking them. Been there/done that a bunch of times. Playing a well-tuned team game always helps, too.

Old
11-20-2012, 06:16 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
You have the bug, that's the key. I run across guys all the time where I'm not sure why they even play hockey. It appears to be some sort of thing they have to take part in, they don't really care for it but they show up for most of the games and go through the motions. I've really learned to let up on these types of guys, you're not going to change people's personalty's by yelling at them at beer league games. I'm man enough to change teams or rinks and find guys who have similar drive to what I have and that's where I'm comfortable. As of right now though I'm on a team that needs my help and 90% of the team needs to move down but that would mean moving from Sunday's to weeknights meaning they won't be able to play hockey anymore. And that's one of the reasons why I work hard to continue to get better at hockey at 39 years old-I know one day I won't be able to play hockey anymore but until then I'm going to give it my all to help the team win games so that when my time comes I'll be able to look back and know I didn't half ass it.
I think that's more or less why I can play at the higher levels but can't cut it as a ringer at the lower ones. I'm in my 5th year and still loving every minute of it, and personally I'm having the most fun when I'm panting for breath on the bench after each shift. My hockey IQ is also half decent. On the other hand I just don't have the puck skills required to deke through people, protect the puck, or slow the game down.

Closed Thread