HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes in Five Years

Old
11-19-2012, 12:45 AM
OOEEL

vCash: 500
Coyotes in Five Years

So I feel like there are a handful of people on here that (completely understandably) stay within the sanctuary of the Coyotes board.

I was popping around the Prospects threads and I saw a "Your team in five years" thread, and I figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I figured I'd take the idea and start our own thread for it here so those that stay here can join in on the conversation and we have something to talk about that isn't lockout or CoG related!

Here's mine, feel free to chime in with your own ideas and any critique/analysis of my lineup/breakdown

---

M.Boedker-M.Hanzal-H.Samuelsson
L.Lessio-A.Vermette-C.Brown
L.Korpikoski-J.Martinook-A.Ruutu
K.Kessy-K.Chipchura-B.Hextall

O.Ekman-Larsson-Z.Michalek
K.Yandle-C.Murphy
B.Gormley-M.Stone

M.Smith
M.Lee

Obviously this isn't accounting for any type of trades or draft picks over the next five years.

I think Boedker is coming into his own and could emerge as a true top line scoring winger, and during the playoffs he did best with Vermette and Doan on his line. I wanted to place Vermie as the top center but Marty's defense is so good and he's five years younger than Antoine. I wanted to put Henrik on the second line but if he projects to be a Doan-esque power forward I think that'd work well for Bods going forward.

Lucas Lessio has really excited me following his production this year prior to his hand injury, I feel he could project into a top six winger, especially in a system that's thinner up front. I had thought about putting Shinnimin as the second line center but I still think he's a bit of a longshot to make the NHL. Could Vermette still be a top six guy at 35? Maybe? But he was better than some of the other options. Chris Brown is scoring almost as well for Portland as he was at Michigan, and I think he could become another powerful top six winger like Samuelsson.

I enjoy all the little things Korpi does including the PK so I hope he'll be around for a while. The 3rd right winger spot was a huge crap shoot and in the end I just chose Alexander Ruuttu because it was another Finn to play with Lauri. It was between Martinook and Werek for the 3rd center spot, and I went with Jordan because he's bigger and I think will be a better bottom six guy. I guess if Antoine leaves I'd slot Martinook as the second center and Ethan as the 3rd.

The fourth line should just be a pain to play against, so Kessy/Chipchura/Hextall seemed like a rather motley crew. Chippy seems like a longshot to stick around for five years, but I don't see Shinnimin or Miele being able to handle the physical rigors of fourth line play.

Defense was pretty straight forward, OEL is a stalwart definitive franchise player who will be there unless someone else overpays to take him away. Z still being a number one guy in five years is iffy but I'm not sold on Murphy yet, and our defense is left-heavy. The rest pretty much falls in line from there. I think Gormley could eventually pass Keith for the second pairing, but for now I'm going with the established name.

I doubt Smith is going to be a one year wonder, and of our three goalie prospects I actually like Mike Lee the most, and he's dominating the ECHL straight out of college, so I think it'll be between him and Visentin for our goalie of the future.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:46 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
Obviously this isn't accounting for any type of trades or draft picks over the next five years.
That's kind of why I didn't reply to the thread on the prospects board. These types of situations always end up actually being "Which prospects will actually be NHLers" threads. Of which I feel woefully inadequate at predicting

Just looking at your list, having all of Samuelsson, Lessio, Brown, Martinook, Ruutu, Lee, Hextall, Murphy, Stone, and Gormley in the NHL contributing regularly as part of any team, let alone a single team is unlikely. So far starters I'd slice that list in half immediately.

For example have a look at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ects_fall2008/

It's a who's who of crap for the most part. Top 3 are NHLers, but after that it's With Summers still having a legit shot.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:45 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

I doubt Lessio, Ruutu and Martinook make it. I realize it's an academic exercise, but players will be gone out of sheer attrition; injury, trades, let go. I think the big name D will all be NHLers in some capacity. How good is another question entirely. Those forwards are pretty ghastly skill wise. Going pure D every draft has its downsides.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:43 AM
awfulwaffle

In 5 years, we have 5 stanley cups.

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:03 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
In 5 years, we have 5 stanley cups.
I agree with this haha, but anyway as much as I like some of these guys, I would think that at least a few players like Martinook could be usurped on the depth chart by a prospect like Miele or Shinnimin that has more skill.

Miele or Shinny could also act as playmakers on the fourth line if necessary since sometimes skilled fourth liners can contribute quite a bit, like Brule did at times last year. Although for the most part I agree that fourth liners should typically be physical and gritty like Chipchura as somebody mentioned above.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:50 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

How old will Vrbata be at this time?

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:15 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
How old will Vrbata be at this time?
He'll be 36

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Rutkowski

Bödker-Hanzal(A)-Samuelsson
M. Michalek-Miele-Brown
Korpikoski-Bolduc-Ruutu
Kessy-Chipchura-Gordon

Ekman-Larsson(A)-Yandle(C)
Murphy-Z. Michalek
Rundblad-Gormley

Smith
Visentin

Milan Michalek traded for Stone, Vrbata and pick.
Ruutu and Kessy is there because I don't know who'll replace them.
Doan finally retire and so does his number.

Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:29 AM
hyster110

i can see mark louis being a number 7 in a couple years

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:26 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I'll be happy to just have a team and a season in 5 years.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Bandit34

Brown - Hanzal - Boedker
Samuelsson - Miele - Lane
Lessio - Martinook - Arnold
Kessy - Werek - Dziurzynski

Ekman-Larsson - Yandle
Gormley - Murphy
Rundblad - Stone
Louis

Smith/Visentin/Lee etc.

Nervous for the defense. While they will bring a lot of offense, the actual defense is the question mark lol.

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:43 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit34 View Post
Brown - Hanzal - Boedker
Samuelsson - Miele - Lane
Lessio - Martinook - Arnold
Kessy - Werek - Dziurzynski

Ekman-Larsson - Yandle
Gormley - Murphy
Rundblad - Stone
Louis

Smith/Visentin/Lee etc.

Nervous for the defense. While they will bring a lot of offense, the actual defense is the question mark lol.
Sorry for the epic thread bump guys lol. I just was browsing around in search results for Ethan Werek and it redirected me to that thread.

I just wondered if you guys would be willing to part with Yandle to get a young defensive force such as Brendan Smith from the Detroit Red Wings? I'm not a Wings fan, just a Habs fan who thought it might make sense for you guys in the long run, as you have so many fantastic offensive d-men out there.

Cheers, and best wishes for the ownership situation on your team. As a Habs fan, the Nordiques fans can rot in hell. Seeing them not get their team would actually make me laugh my ass off .

EDIT: Sorry for mixing Ben and Brendan together. Brendan that is. Wings d-man

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
BigGumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I'll be happy to just have a team and a season in 5 years.
This is all I could think of when I saw this thread.

BigGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Boedker89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Sorry for the epic thread bump guys lol. I just was browsing around in search results for Ethan Werek and it redirected me to that thread.

I just wondered if you guys would be willing to part with Yandle to get a young defensive force such as Brendan Smith from the Detroit Red Wings? I'm not a Wings fan, just a Habs fan who thought it might make sense for you guys in the long run, as you have so many fantastic offensive d-men out there.

Cheers, and best wishes for the ownership situation on your team. As a Habs fan, the Nordiques fans can rot in hell. Seeing them not get their team would actually make me laugh my ass off .

EDIT: Sorry for mixing Ben and Brendan together. Brendan that is. Wings d-man
Don't need any more D. And value is way off.

Boedker89 is offline   Reply With Quote