HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jamie Benn is Shy

Old
11-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Ari91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
This is a perfect example of that. Benn doesn't want to play in Canada. Big deal. People say it was a poor choice of words? How exactly, he was honest and inoffensive. But some Canadian hockey fans will get their panties in a knot because he doesn't want to play in his home country for a Canadian franchise, unpatriotic, blah blah blah.

When we speak, we know what we intend to say but once those words leave our mouth, the listener is free to interpret those words in a way other than how you intended them to be understood. Did Benn say anything wrong? Not in the least. Is it an overreaction to be offended by his comment? Absolutely. But people tend to overreact to things they are sensitive about. That's the nature of the beast though. Saying it was a poor choice of words (at least to me) suggests that there was a better way of putting an opinion across (especially when you're aware of how hockey sensitive Canadian fans are) but his words aren't so confusing that they mask the intentions behind it. Like I said before, he's not insulting or offending Canadian hockey fans but knowing how people tend to react, I'm not surprised that some people may have taken it the wrong way. It's unfortunate and rather silly especially if people are aware that he is a shy guy and still find fault in his comments.

In my previous post, I had said that growing up in Canada, being around the national passion for hockey probably influenced his own desire to play hockey and now he's saying he would never want to play in the country where it all started for him. That's a very twisted way of looking at his comments and supposedly the article didn't highlight the fact the kid is shy and that's why he wouldn't want to be under the media scrutiny of a Canadian team. I'm willing to bet that especially without that context, many people read his comments and used that twisted interpretation. Again, it's unfortunate but it is what it is.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
CaptBrannigan

The thought process behind this thread being created is exactly what Benn stated he was trying to avoid, lol. Perhaps it's also vindication of his stance...

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:24 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
When we speak, we know what we intend to say but once those words leave our mouth, the listener is free to interpret those words in a way other than how you intended them to be understood. Did Benn say anything wrong? Not in the least. Is it an overreaction to be offended by his comment? Absolutely. But people tend to overreact to things they are sensitive about. That's the nature of the beast though. Saying it was a poor choice of words (at least to me) suggests that there was a better way of putting an opinion across (especially when you're aware of how hockey sensitive Canadian fans are) but his words aren't so confusing that they mask the intentions behind it. Like I said before, he's not insulting or offending Canadian hockey fans but knowing how people tend to react, I'm not surprised that some people may have taken it the wrong way. It's unfortunate and rather silly especially if people are aware that he is a shy guy and still find fault in his comments.

In my previous post, I had said that growing up in Canada, being around the national passion for hockey probably influenced his own desire to play hockey and now he's saying he would never want to play in the country where it all started for him. That's a very twisted way of looking at his comments and supposedly the article didn't highlight the fact the kid is shy and that's why he wouldn't want to be under the media scrutiny of a Canadian team. I'm willing to bet that especially without that context, many people read his comments and used that twisted interpretation. Again, it's unfortunate but it is what it is.
In summary, many Canadians get ******** when a player, especially a Canadian player, prefers to live and play south of the border. As a Stars fan I couldn't be happier he said what he did. Players who crave the limelight typically aren't tenured Dallas Stars.

All in all, a relatively uneducated human said something that's been over-analyzed to the point of proving his point. I, for one, am utterly shocked that he didn't consult his thesaurus before opening his mouth.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
Ridiculous.

Everyone's different. If I were an NHL player, I'd prefer not to play in Canada either.
It doesn't make me less Canadian, it just wouldn't suit my personality.

If I feel, I can perform better while under less pressure, then why not?
Thing is though, it's not THAT bad. It's exaggerated. It's no different then the level of fandom you will find in the USA related to people and athletes with sports like football, and baseball to a degree. You don't see Americans lining up to get out of the country to play for Toronto because of media attention and/or pressure and popularity.

There are lots of different factors that come into play, it can be worse in certain markets. For instance, it's (the "spotlight") more severe in Montreal and Toronto when compared with somewhere like Calgary or Vancouver perhaps. Can't paint the whole country as uniformly crazy, using the negative connotations and descriptions that he did. THAT is ridiculous...

He doesn't have to enjoy or have to want to be playing in Canada, but he's donned the red and white whenever asked, and he still hasn't played in a pro Canadian market yet so he shouldn't really comment. The other thing that bothers me is the sense of entitlement and snobbiness some of these "good Canadian boys" have. Being worried about playing in Canada, oh God forbid! Where is the pride, the enthusiasm, the loyalty for smaller markets and home towns? It's frustrating when you see players from a nation of only 30 million make such comments.

Last edited by Philly85: 11-14-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Unbelievable how much heat those comments are getting. This is too funny.

Get over it, folks, he's happy in Dallas and wants to stay there. Quit digging for hidden meanings and character assassinations, it's getting old.
Pretty much this. I can't fault someone for valuing their privacy. He certainly isn't the first athlete who wants to keep it on the field/ice.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Thing is though, it's not THAT bad. It's exaggerated. It's no different then the level of fandom you will find in the USA related to people and athletes with sports like football, and baseball to a degree. You don't see Americans lining up to get out of the country to play for Toronto because of media attention and/or pressure and popularity.

There are lots of different factors that come into play, it can be worse in certain markets. For instance, it's (the "spotlight") more severe in Montreal and Toronto compared to somewhere like Calgary or Vancouver perhaps. Can't paint the whole country as uniformly crazy, using the negative connotations and descriptions that he did. THAT is ridiculous...

He doesn't have to enjoy or have to want playing in Canada, but he's donned the red and white whenever asked, and he still hasn't played in a pro Canadian market yet so he shouldn't really comment. The positives far outweigh the negatives.
How would you know? He grew up playing hockey in Canada. He probably has a much better idea what staying in Canada would entail than you do.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

This is the beauty of being an nhl player. I cant think of any other sport in north america where you have the luxury of choosing to play in a rock star environment like Montreal, or in relative anonymity like Florida, and make really decent cash either way. I'm talking about UFA status, of course.

It should not be a revelation that some players don't like the spotlight, in fact, I think there's far more of them than we think.

I would not take this as a slight against Canada, but rather a reflection of his personality. If there was such a thing as a Canadian environment with little spotlight, I think he would consider it.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
In summary, many Canadians get ******** when a player, especially a Canadian player, prefers to live and play south of the border. As a Stars fan I couldn't be happier he said what he did. Players who crave the limelight typically aren't tenured Dallas Stars.

All in all, a relatively uneducated human said something that's been over-analyzed to the point of proving his point. I, for one, am utterly shocked that he didn't consult his thesaurus before opening his mouth.
Unfortunately, yes, , that is the summary, lol.

His comments don't make him relatively uneducated. He said nothing wrong. The issue is with the way people choose to perceive and judge him for those comments. People like jump all over the opportunity to take something negatively and then complain about it. The amount of discussion over this lends to that theory.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:46 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Some players go to Dallas/Phoenix/Nashville/Florida to get away from the media.

Some players stay way from Dallas/Phoenix/Nashville/Florida because of the lack of it.

Nothing new here.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Unfortunately, yes, , that is the summary, lol.

His comments don't make him relatively uneducated. He said nothing wrong. The issue is with the way people choose to perceive and judge him for those comments. People like jump all over the opportunity to take something negatively and then complain about it. The amount of discussion over this lends to that theory.
No, his comments don't make him relatively uneducated, his relative lack of education does.

Old
11-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Ari91

Quote:
No, his comments don't make him relatively uneducated, his relative lack of education does.
I don't know what his education is so. That was my bad for assuming that you were tying in his comment with his education.

Old
11-17-2012, 06:10 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I think you're exaggerating... The spotlight isn't for everyone...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Rizzy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
don't know if this was talked about in other threads..(mod)

just bought the THN 2012-13 yearbook recently.....

read an article about jamie benn and i saw a comment by him that was disturbing...

here is the quote from the montreal gazette..

don't know if benn's comment was sarcastic/poking fun, or he really meant it....

if its the ladder, i can see why fans are anti-player in this lockout.........

if you have a player who refuses to play in canadian markets because his privacy might be compromised or can't deal media pressure, then players like him should be disrespcted....

benn is the example of the modern prima donna, diva like hockey player.... always wanting to dictate what teams to play for, mostly in US markets, when they waive their no-trade clause..

they're too soft to handle media pressure and refuses to be accountable to the media when his play on the ice begins to suck....

i think joe nieuwendyk probably had a great influence on benn, that playing in a canadian market is considered with some disdain... .....remember the salary dispute nieuwendyk had with the flames? he dearly wanted to get out of calgary....

it kinda sucks that the players want us to support them in this lockout, but at the same time refuses to play in a canadian market because the media there is too oppressive....or any trivial reasons to avoid them...
it's not that he is too soft to deal with the media pressure or that he's a prima donna or something. maybe it's just something he's unable to do. speaking to people and being open regardless of whether it's a part of his job is really difficult for some people no matter how hard they were to try and do it. don't blame the guy and make assumptions

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:46 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I never got the being shy part. Handling the pressure of playing in Canada, I get, but being shy ? You're a hockey player, you had to expect by being drafted that you'd be under the spotlight. With the money those guys are paid, I almost consider it a responsibility to get under the spotlight. Couldn't give a crap if it's in Dallas instead of Canada but being shy is just total bs

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
I never got the being shy part. Handling the pressure of playing in Canada, I get, but being shy ? You're a hockey player, you had to expect by being drafted that you'd be under the spotlight. With the money those guys are paid, I almost consider it a responsibility to get under the spotlight. Couldn't give a crap if it's in Dallas instead of Canada but being shy is just total bs
In other words, you should force money to change your personality?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:54 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
In other words, you should force money to change your personality?
No because by choosing to become a hockey player he knew what he was getting into.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Who cares? He's a great young player. Nothing wrong with being shy, and he was just answering questions anyway. It's not like he held a press conference to tell everyone how he prefers small markets and wants to avoid Canada. For all we know he actually would like to play in Canada, he just doesn't want to be constantly hounded.

I can relate. I'm not super shy but people get annoying and they getting annoying fast. If I had to talk to some of the hockey media bozos on a daily basis I would be in trouble. I'd probably end up all over the news for telling certain media personalties how I really feel.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:54 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I don't get the big deal with what he said.

I kinda laugh when I see Cdn born prospects all excited about being drafted by some of the Cdn teams...I think "you don't understand what you've gotten yourself into."

Take Toronto (where I live)...I think it's probably the hardest city to have to play in - you have a massive fanbase who, at the best of times, has a "testy" relationship with the team...and at the worst of times is angry, profane, and bitter. Add a media that makes a mountain out of every molehill (and is as rude and obnoxious as the fans) and Toronto isn't the greatest place to spend time if you're a hockey player (although the team's awash with cash so you've got benefits there).

Montreal is the same as Toronto - although add a bunch of "crazy" to the mix and make it all in two languages.

Benn's right to want to stay down south - he's talented enough that he'll get paid and doesn't have to deal with the headache that goes along with playing in any of the Cdn big markets.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:04 AM
saffronleaf

Holy ****, how does a thread like this garner so many responses?

OP is being outrageous. Benn is shy and introverted; he wants to avoid media pressure. What's wrong with that? Would you accuse players that love the limelight, like say, PK Subban, of being anti-small market or anti-non-traditional market? Such silliness. Let the players play wherever they feel comfortable playing. If they're restricting their own options, then that will be reflected in the wages they can earn.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:20 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
don't know if this was talked about in other threads..(mod)

just bought the THN 2012-13 yearbook recently.....

read an article about jamie benn and i saw a comment by him that was disturbing...

here is the quote from the montreal gazette..

don't know if benn's comment was sarcastic/poking fun, or he really meant it....

if its the ladder, i can see why fans are anti-player in this lockout.........

if you have a player who refuses to play in canadian markets because his privacy might be compromised or can't deal media pressure, then players like him should be disrespcted....

benn is the example of the modern prima donna, diva like hockey player.... always wanting to dictate what teams to play for, mostly in US markets, when they waive their no-trade clause..

they're too soft to handle media pressure and refuses to be accountable to the media when his play on the ice begins to suck....

i think joe nieuwendyk probably had a great influence on benn, that playing in a canadian market is considered with some disdain... .....remember the salary dispute nieuwendyk had with the flames? he dearly wanted to get out of calgary....

it kinda sucks that the players want us to support them in this lockout, but at the same time refuses to play in a canadian market because the media there is too oppressive....or any trivial reasons to avoid them...
All due respect, not sure I see where he is acting like a prima donna or a diva?? Does he have a history of "always wanting to dictate what teams to play for"?? Hadn`t heard or seen that either.

There are, believe it or not in this day and age where media is so prominent, plenty of players/entertainers that just aren`t comfortable in front of the camera, not at all a prima donna or diva like.

I`ve gone back to University as a 40 something, the program I am taking involves alot of presentations in front of the class, not my thing, makes me uncomfortable, yet there are students who seem completely at ease with this sort of thing, I understand a different situation but one I`ll use as example of having to stand alone, sounds like Benn is just stating a fact, if anything, his honesty is refreshing as more than a few athlete`s/entertainers would be better served by keeping their pie holes shut

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:58 AM
tuozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
I don't get you at all. So he chose to play hockey despite being shy. Doesn't mean he has to like the spotlight. I get the feeling you don't really appreciate shyness for what it is, it's not something you just snap out of.

tuozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 03:47 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Poor Dallas they always get the shy talented guys(except for Hull for a short while). Not the easiest way to sell the game and your players.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:15 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Poor Dallas they always get the shy talented guys(except for Hull for a short while). Not the easiest way to sell the game and your players.
Pretty much every hockey player is shy compared to athletes from the other major sports popular in Dallas. Player personality in this market has very little to do with how the hockey team does in selling to the locals. If the hockey team wins fans come to games. If it doesn't they don't. It's really simple - Dallas is a winner's town. It is what it is.

Also, there's a difference between not wanting to deal with the media microscope of a Canadian market and not having personality. Benn actually jokes a fair bit on twitter and such; he's not devoid of personality and he's not as shy (in Dallas) as is being said here.

Old
11-19-2012, 06:37 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
"ladder"

Don't know why, but i found irrationally hilarious.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Pretty much every hockey player is shy compared to athletes from the other major sports popular in Dallas. Player personality in this market has very little to do with how the hockey team does in selling to the locals. If the hockey team wins fans come to games. If it doesn't they don't. It's really simple - Dallas is a winner's town. It is what it is.

Also, there's a difference between not wanting to deal with the media microscope of a Canadian market and not having personality. Benn actually jokes a fair bit on twitter and such; he's not devoid of personality and he's not as shy (in Dallas) as is being said here.
But it's a huge difference when compared to guys like Wayne Gretzky who had more of an ongoing personality. Wayne was part of a the celebrity culture in LA and got to be on tv shows and so forth. That's what I mean. I know that most hockey players are rather reserved(and it's a character trait that people actually like in hockey players) but big personalities can do a lot in selling the game.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote