Norfolk vs. Springfield (Game 3): 4:15 PST

Old
11-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
Boy one more loss and this team is below .500 might be a long season since all the Ads care about are a few guys who might or might not get to the NHL which right now doesnt exist, and probably wont until 2014, I hope the powers that be start to give the fans here something to get excited about (like winning). I know its great for the people from CAL who only care about the Ducks, but they arnt playing and until they do lets give us AHL fans some real hockey!!!! Not boy he skates great and he looks good for a 18 yr old when all I see is lets play the guys who will get us a loss.Now guys get misconducts for mouthing off at the end, shows me alot about some of them, Guess I never understood what made last years team so good, (Syracuse if in first ) could it be coaching?????/
You're not making much sense.

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Exit Dose

There are some problems with this team, but the biggest one is that every night 2 to 4 of the softest goals ever get scored. I don't think Yawney has the power to make them realize their potential. Maybe we should hire Bagger Vance.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Paul4587

I agree that the biggest problem lies in net. Having great goaltending not only means less goals against but it will also allow the team to take more chances and play with more confidence.

I'm hoping Murray addresses the problem sooner rather than later as it was an issue the first year in Syracuse as well.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:39 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
Boy one more loss and this team is below .500 might be a long season since all the Ads care about are a few guys who might or might not get to the NHL which right now doesnt exist, and probably wont until 2014, I hope the powers that be start to give the fans here something to get excited about (like winning). I know its great for the people from CAL who only care about the Ducks, but they arnt playing and until they do lets give us AHL fans some real hockey!!!! Not boy he skates great and he looks good for a 18 yr old when all I see is lets play the guys who will get us a loss.Now guys get misconducts for mouthing off at the end, shows me alot about some of them, Guess I never understood what made last years team so good, (Syracuse if in first ) could it be coaching?????/
Dude to be honest, that's what most of us care about, the prospcets. I certainly don't care if the team wins. It'd be nice if some of our prospects got used to winning down there. But, I just want to see progression out of guys like Lindholm, Vatanen, Palmieri, Holland, DSP, Etem, maroon, Wagner, and others.

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
You always want to see the team do well, but the AHL is a developmental league.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Carelton CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You always want to see the team do well, but the AHL is a developmental league.
Sojourn I agree it's a development league, so, are they developing? Watching these games I see a few guys developing a few regressing and more than a few treading water.

Bruce, in his press conference said "we want these guys to learn to win and HATE losing". You need to give them all a chance with a goalie or two that can steal a game and not give up a soft goal every freaking game. Last night there were two. The 1st and the 4th. See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwp1H...=youtube_gdata

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Paul4587

Yeah, the AHL is a developmental league but it's far better for the young guys to develop in a winning environment rather than to accept losing as being alright.

Right now the biggest issue is in net. Goaltending is killing them. Bobkov and Andersen have let in some of the weakest goals I've ever seen and seem to be struggling to keep their GAA under 4 lately.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:28 PM
DuckJet
Ducks are math=Bad

vCash: 69
Last two post are right on the money. Take Springfield as an example. Their parent club probably has the worst culture of losing in the league right now. But their prospects are in a winning environment. We have better prospects but on this team they aren't used to doing what's necessary to win. It isn't all on the shoulders of the goaltending. It sure hurts but it's a team effort and it's clearly not working now. We need out high end (as well as all) guys to be used to doing what's necessary to win as well as develop their tools and talents.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Elvs

In all fairness though, they have played Springfield three times in the last four games and imo, their team should be better when you look at the rosters. Johansen and Atkinson were decent NHL players a year ago. Meanwhile, there's good depth too with Calvert, Kubalik, Audy-Marchessault, Craig, Bass, Russell and Drazenovic. All either solid prospects or players with some NHL experience (in Drazenovic case, a history of being a good AHL'er).

On defense Moore, Savard and Erixon are all right on the doorstep of establishing themselves in the NHL and think what you will about Curtis McElhinney... While he isn't a very good NHL goalie, he's probably too good for the AHL. Depth wise I'd say Norfolk can compare, but I don't think they have the same top end players. It's not a total surprise that Springfield currently is leding it's conference.

So while the team is struggeling, I doubt they are really as bad as they've been recently. This is also a team that have been without two veteran defensive defensemen lately.

Last edited by Elvs: 11-18-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carelton CA View Post
Sojourn I agree it's a development league, so, are they developing? Watching these games I see a few guys developing a few regressing and more than a few treading water.

Bruce, in his press conference said "we want these guys to learn to win and HATE losing". You need to give them all a chance with a goalie or two that can steal a game and not give up a soft goal every freaking game. Last night there were two. The 1st and the 4th. See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwp1H...=youtube_gdata
With all due respect, we're talking about 13 games here. What kind of development do you expect to see in that span? The ups and downs of 13 games aren't from development, or any regression in development. There are going to be a few exceptions to this, particularly in the players new to the AHL, but in general the highs and lows are normal for a pro athlete.

Of course you want them to develop in a winning environment, but the goal is still development. My point is that building a winning team, and developing prospects, don't always go together. You'd like them to, but that just isn't always the case, otherwise we'd see more trades going down to improve the teams in the AHL. One of the reasons that doesn't happen is that teams aren't willing to sacrifice NHL-quality prospects just for the sake of winning.

I also think that goaltending, right now, is the biggest problem. Inconsistent goaltending can hurt a team's confidence. We saw that last season in Anaheim with Hiller's start. Anaheim spent a great deal in time either fighting to get back into the game and/or seeing their lead vanish and the momentum they built up turn against them. It's frustrating for the players. But I don't think goaltending is the only problem. The defense has been sporadic, offensively and defensively, and the offense itself just hasn't been all that consistent either.

Old
11-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Govment Cheese

yup goaltending is an issue. There is another problem that i have been seeing in the last few games and that is turnovers. Seeing a lot of bad decisions with the puck. Bad passes into traffic, behind the play or in players skates or trying to skate through defenders and having the puck stripped. It is leading to good scoring chances for the opposition.

If you want to take a look at how the Admirals are stacking up against the rest of the AHL. Here is a link to all the stats that the AHL collects it is updated daily.
http://cluster.leaguestat.com/downlo...ly-report.html

After looking at the stats for this week wish the Ducks and Justin Schultz could have come to an agreement. He would have been playing for the Admirals and he is lighting it up.

Leading all rookies: 21 points, 8 goals
Leading D-men: In points and goals
Leading all AHL in points

Govment Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Do we really need to be reminded that Schultz screwed Anaheim over?

Old
11-18-2012, 09:41 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Do we really need to be reminded that Schultz screwed Anaheim over?
whatever. i've moved on.

makes me have even more faith in our scouting team

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I agree that the biggest problem lies in net. Having great goaltending not only means less goals against but it will also allow the team to take more chances and play with more confidence.

I'm hoping Murray addresses the problem sooner rather than later as it was an issue the first year in Syracuse as well.
What I remember Tarkki saved the team many times last season.

Edit. Oh but that was the second year

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
What I remember Tarkki saved the team many times last season.

Edit. Oh but that was the second year
Yeah, I meant the year Pielmeier and Levasseur split time. The goaltending was reportedly terrible that year outside of the 5 games Emery played.